I love credit cards so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If UA miles are useless to you, MPX and MileagePlus Shopping (UA’s gift card app and shopping portal, respectively) are pretty much useless too because they’re just ways to earn extra UA miles on purchases you’d make anyway.

You could earn UR points using MPX using CF, CFU, CSP, CSR, Ink+, CIC, because when you buy a gift card to a merchant on MPX, MPX passes on how the transaction is coded to that merchant’s MCC (merchant category code). Depending on the MCC, the transaction may trigger one of those cards’ bonus categories.

So since CSP and CSR earn 3x UR on dining and travel, if you bought a Starbucks (dining) or AirBnB (travel) gift card on MPX using CSP or CSR, you’d earn the UA miles/$ for those merchants and 3x UR. And Ink+/CIC earns 5x UR at office supply stores, so buying a gift card to Office Depot would earn you the UA miles/$ for that merchant and 5x UR.

For CFU, you’d earn 1.5x UR regardless of merchant and whatever UA miles/$ for the particular merchant.

For CF, it’ll vary with the quarterly bonus category. So last quarter, you could have earned 5x UR for Macy’s (dept store) plus whatever was Macy’s UA miles/$.

If you have a United credit card and add it to your MPX account (you just have to have it connected; you don’t have to use the United card), you get a 25% bonus on the UA miles/$ earned plus whatever rewards MPX would earn on the credit card you actually use.

ETA: For straight up UR points, you could do better with the Gyft or Swych gift card apps because when you checkout using PayPal, they code for 3x UR when you use CIP as the payment method and 5x UR when using CIC/Ink+ regardless of merchant category. Swych and, I believe Gyft, also offer Apple Pay checkout so you could earn 5x UR using Freedom mobile payment this quarter.

You can then use the gift cards you bought to shop through the Shop Through Chase portal to earn more UR points (or whatever other shopping portal offers you better cash back, miles, or points).

So does everyone have DPs of the merchant coding actually carrying through via MPX? I ask because I used my CF via MPX to make a Nordstrom purchase when department stores were the 5% quarterly category, and I earned only 1 point per dollar on that purchase on the CF. It seemed that the CF coded it as travel and not as a department store. That is counter to your Macy’s experience. If others routinely find that the coding carries through, I will try again.

I have also found on the MileagePlus shopping portal that when I pay for a portion of a purchase with a gift card, I only earn miles on the portion paid with a credit card. This also appears to be counter to what others have experienced. Is that correct?

In my preparation for getting ready for my Disney trip in May, I am looking toward getting the Disney Visa card for the discounts. However, I discover the Disney debit card which seems like it has the same benefit with the exception of earning cashback. I seen some who posted here that their Visa card is mainly a dust collector for it does not accumulate that much cashback. So is there a reason that I should consider the Disney Visa vs. Disney debit?
I'd say it all depends on whether you are planning to become "one of us" or not. For a churner-light (i.e. Someone looking to get 2-3 cards a year) the Disney card is a fine option with a nice $200'statement credit. If you're planning to get into the game deeper than that you may find that it's a poor use of your limited card slots.

Last edited:
Our current plan is to book our first night at Disney in a value or mod and use our UR to get 10 day park tickets attached. We can also use DME one way this way. Then have them transfer our luggage to swolphin and use our SPG points for the rest of our stay. We will then just uber back to the airport. I’ll just need an uber w a car seat. Does this plan seem logical to everyone on here? I’ll then just need a few Disney gift cards to cover our character dining and some meals in the parks.
This is pretty much what we're doing end of this month. One night at Poly with UR points (already had no expiry tix) then Dolphin for 3 nights with SPG points. DME to Poly, MagicBands, free transfer to Dolphin. Uber to MCO from Dolphin. I have Disney Gift cards to cover all dining and we'll be there for Flower & Garden.

So does everyone have DPs of the merchant coding actually carrying through via MPX? I ask because I used my CF via MPX to make a Nordstrom purchase when department stores were the 5% quarterly category, and I earned only 1 point per dollar on that purchase on the CF. It seemed that the CF coded it as travel and not as a department store. That is counter to your Macy’s experience. If others routinely find that the coding carries through, I will try again.

I have also found on the MileagePlus shopping portal that when I pay for a portion of a purchase with a gift card, I only earn miles on the portion paid with a credit card. This also appears to be counter to what others have experienced. Is that correct?

it does when i used it. use CSP with MPX @ boston market. codes 2x.

so.....add me to the list of unexpected expenses made better by using a card I'm meeting spend on:rotfl: I have two toy size dogs, one is 'difficult' -they live separated by a gate...my DH forgot to close the gate that separates them...so a trip to the ER for pets....and surgery =$800 closer to hitting spend on that Amexbiz card.... (I wish I had only one dog but it is what it is)
Aww. Poor pups. My sister's dog is a bit like that, but usually only with food. Even to the point that if we even have dinner with two dogs in the room, she will attack. No blood so far but I've had to dump water on them to separate them.

I don’t know... I’ve honestly been using MPX with Amex for everything for so long I’d have to dig back for a personal DP. I guess last summer, when the CF quarterly bonus was for restaurants and movie theaters, I used the CF with MPX for an AMC gift card and earned 5x UR. I don't think MPX earns a bonus on CSP/CSR because MPX codes as "travel," because I've used my CSR with MPX for a Starbucks gift card ("dining"), earned 3x UR, and for West Elm (furniture? home decor?), but earned only 1x UR. (If MPX coded as "travel," we should earn 3x UR on CSR regardless of merchant.)

That's strange because United essentially encourages you to double dip in the MPX FAQ:
You can use MileagePlus X, MileagePlus Shopping and your MileagePlus credit card to earn even more miles:
  1. Find a merchant that has offers on both MileagePlus X and MileagePlus Shopping.
  2. Use your MileagePlus credit card to buy a gift card for that merchant in MileagePlus X.
  3. Make a purchase from the merchant in MileagePlus Shopping using the gift card you bought in MileagePlus X
Chase Bank USA, N.A., is not responsible for the provision of or the failure to provide the promotional offers. Miles will post directly to your United MileagePlus account and will not appear on your Chase statement.

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/help/faq/mileageplus-x.html

I guess I would suggest doing a small test purchase (~$10) to see how certain merchants code with different Chase credit cards. Transactions post pretty quickly to the Chase account and you'll be able to see the points pending to figure out if a bonus is triggered.

Last edited:
Add me to the list of high maintenance pet owners... 2 of the 3 pets have been to the vet this month, BOTH for ear infections. I think they all probably eat better than DH and I do too, but they are our only children. I agree that Chewy's prices have gone up since they've been bought by Petsmart. It's a shame, because Chewy's customer service is outstanding.

In other news, it's a little embarrassing how quickly we've managed to almost meet our MSR on the Marriott. We went out and bought a ton of stuff for his eBay business today though, so that helps a lot. At this rate, it'll probably only be a week or two before I have him apply for the CIP.

I have only used it once and it did code correctly. I used my CSR on MPX buying a restaurant GC, so I haven't tried it with any bonus categories on CF.

Add me to the list of high maintenance pet owners... 2 of the 3 pets have been to the vet this month, BOTH for ear infections. I think they all probably eat better than DH and I do too, but they are our only children. I agree that Chewy's prices have gone up since they've been bought by Petsmart. It's a shame, because Chewy's customer service is outstanding.

In other news, it's a little embarrassing how quickly we've managed to almost meet our MSR on the Marriott. We went out and bought a ton of stuff for his eBay business today though, so that helps a lot. At this rate, it'll probably only be a week or two before I have him apply for the CIP.

I am only $700 away from 2 SPG Biz minimum spends too, so I hear that!
And with the new puppy and two other dogs, one with nasty allergies and bad teeth and the other doing agility, our pet costs are crazy too. Oh yeah I have a 20 year old cat too, always forget about her and her costs LOL

i just bought a sliding door doggy door for my roommates dog. usually $200 but going for $140. Its weird that id buy stuff for my roommates dog, but i honestly dont like having my rear door opened for him to go in an out. i guess it could be sold off pretty easily and/or moved to another property if i need to.

I remembered I saw this post on DoC a few months ago, and now you mention it: https://www.doctorofcredit.com/hilton-diamond-status-aspire-will-count-towards-lifetime-diamond/

DH earns Lifetime Diamond Status by:

1. earning Diamond Status for at least 10 years (non-consecutive) AND
2. having completed stays totaling at least 1,000 paid and reward nights OR earned at least 2 million Base Points over life of membership.

The Hilton Aspire card won't help DH with either of the second requirement, but the complimentary Diamond status conferred by the Aspire card annually will count towards the 10 years requirement to earn Lifetime Diamond status. So if DH has already stayed 1,000 nights or earned 2 million base points, he could get the Aspire can cut 3 years effectively in half, and gain all the other benefits of the card: https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/hilton-honors-aspire/

DoC says he's confirmed with Amex and Hilton that's how it works, but you may want to do your own due diligence. Also, since the Aspire is a personal card, it'll count against one of DH's */24 slots. (I'm assuming you'd be getting the card for DH, not you, since DH is the one earning status.)

That’s how I understood it too. Bummer. I called about a month ago and he was 7.5yrs and almost 700 nights.

In my preparation for getting ready for my Disney trip in May, I am looking toward getting the Disney Visa card for the discounts. However, I discover the Disney debit card which seems like it has the same benefit with the exception of earning cashback. I seen some who posted here that their Visa card is mainly a dust collector for it does not accumulate that much cashback. So is there a reason that I should consider the Disney Visa vs. Disney debit?
As others said if you are interested in more credit cards pass due to 5/24.

Ok, so fine point- credit card doesn't accumulate any cashback, it accumulates Disney Rewards Dollars which are only good for Disney purchases, they are like a Disney gift card. Mine was sock drawered after getting the bonus & used for Disney trip discounts only for this reason. The main reason to get the credit card is the bonus: $200 statement credit after $500 spend. You can only get that via referral so ideally someone you know might already have the credit card because when you use their referral link they'll get $100 Disney Rewards dollars. If you don't know anyone you can find a link in our group on Reddit, message @SouthFayetteFan or @Albort to get hooked up. Everyone is welcome :)

Just don't mix the regular no fee Disney credit card with the Disney premier card as that has a similar $200 for $500 offer (no referral necessary) but has a $49 annual fee!

If you don't plan on hitting much up in the way of credit cards (4 others) in the next 24 months, can use a credit card responsibly, and want to spend $500 for the $200 bonus the credit card is for you. If you say no to any of the above go with the debit version!

As others said if you are interested in more credit cards pass due to 5/24.

Ok, so fine point- credit card doesn't accumulate any cashback, it accumulates Disney Rewards Dollars which are only good for Disney purchases, they are like a Disney gift card. Mine was sock drawered after getting the bonus & used for Disney trip discounts only for this reason. The main reason to get the credit card is the bonus: $200 statement credit after $500 spend. You can only get that via referral so ideally someone you know might already have the credit card because when you use their referral link they'll get $100 Disney Rewards dollars. If you don't know anyone you can find a link in our group on Reddit, message @SouthFayetteFan or @Albort to get hooked up. Everyone is welcome :)

Just don't mix the regular no fee Disney credit card with the Disney premier card as that has a similar $200 for $500 offer (no referral necessary) but has a $49 annual fee!

If you don't plan on hitting much up in the way of credit cards (4 others) in the next 24 months, can use a credit card responsibly, and want to spend $500 for the $200 bonus the credit card is for you. If you say no to any of the above go with the debit version!

Got a letter today about the Disney card. I have the regular Disney card in a sock drawer. They offered to upgrade it to the 'fee' card for me. They would waive the $49 for the first year and my benefit would be earning Disney $'s at 2%.

I originally had both cards and closed my fee one a while back.

Well, can't blame them for trying.

So you guys PROMISE that if I apply for an Amex business card and I don't actually have a business nothing bad is going to happen?? Amex isn't going to find out and blackball me? I'm scared.:scared::( But I really want that 100k Hilton points for Hawaii.:p

So you guys PROMISE that if I apply for an Amex business card and I don't actually have a business nothing bad is going to happen?? Amex isn't going to find out and blackball me? I'm scared.:scared::( But I really want that 100k Hilton points for Hawaii.:p
I hesitated for the first 2 years I was in the game too. Finally caved and it's been awesome ever since!! You'll be fine :)

JetBlue has an Amazon portal. 3x TrueBlue points/$1 spent. Payments with gift card balance qualify.

(But there’s been lots of complaints that points are slow to post or don’t seem to track. You’d then have to contact JetBlue about missing points.)

I'd have to have a use for Jet Blue points though. I have better options out of Seattle and the one time I was going to use them I had to cancel or have like a 6 hour layover in JFK, no thank you give me my money back and I'll book on delta. Between Alaska and Delta I can get most places I need on the east coast with a non stop flight which is preferred. If I decided to go to CA it's Alaska or SW. I buy stuff from Amazon every couple of weeks and seldom get points through a portal, but I also spend less than $100 a month there on average so I'm not too worried when I at least get deals on the gc.

I'm not quite where you are as I've only got 20 lbs worth of dog!
But I've got 2 cats and 2 cockatiels in addition to the one dog. (I lost my other dog a little over a year ago.)

My dog and the birds aren't that expensive to feed, but the one cat requires a urinary tract formula, so that costs a bit more. Used to do Chewy but now its just as high as PetSmart for the particular canned food I need. (I'm not certain but I think PetSmart bought Chewy.)

My vets love me! Somebody needs an annual exam every couple of months or a shot, or in the case of the female cockatiel, an implant every 5 or 6 months. Maybe I should get a CC for my pet hobby, er, maybe I could call them a business?

If you have pet insurance check to see if it covers food. I was double checking what I have for mine even though I knew it didn't cover dental and saw that it will reimburse 50% up to whatever $/year on prescription food. I was surprised because I didn't know this was in there but it's good to know just in case since Dude's 11 1/2 so you never know.

your a... consultant on a Disney forum advising people. uhh... we paid u in uhh, referrals? 10k UR points right? thats about 2.2 cents per point, uhh, $220 profit. so uhh... pretty sweet business...

edit: u should get it pretty easily. no worries! heck, if u get instant denied, they dont even hardpull! i think a good 80% of us have "business" and got it on instant approval. i have yet to find someone here that was denied.

your a... consultant on a Disney forum advising people. uhh... we paid u in uhh, referrals? 10k UR points right? thats about 2.2 cents per point, uhh, $220 profit. so uhh... pretty sweet business...

edit: u should get it pretty easily. no worries! heck, if u get instant denied, they dont even hardpull! i think a good 80% of us have "business" and got it on instant approval. i have yet to find someone here that was denied.

This definitely needs a love button.
Just realized I get paid in Disney gift cards:cool1:
Must be time for another business card.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter