I should’a taken that left in Albuquerque (Updated 8/16/13 Pg13)

Aren't intros supposed to consist of the people ON THE trip? Correct me if I'm wrong. :confused3

Good point!
Already on the job of keeping me straight I see (well someone’s gott’a do it).

Now then, for a conventional TR… absolutely.
But as I said in the last update…

Since each of these trips was different, I’ll hold off on introducing the various players in each drama until we reach that particular episode. But I am sad to have to report; that I will be appearing in all of them. At least you’ve been warned.

…this TR ain’t conventional.

So…
I’ll introduce the players in each saga when that tale appears on the horizon.
But I promise that I’ll try to get this info in there early.
Fair enough?

Oh, one more warning…
Everyone in my family hates to have their picture taken.
Really hates it.

So there will be more pictures of where we’re going then of us actually being there.
I don’t understand why DW and DS are this way being such good lookers,
but it’s better that I don’t appear in too many photos.
Can’t be traumatizing the kids ya’ know

Family board and all :rolleyes1:

Dayton, huh? I've been to parts of Ohio, but I don't think Dayton was one of them.

Just wait… it gets worse.
I’m about to give you a detailed look at the inside of a collage basketball arena
But we ain’t gonn’a be playing any b-ball

But in the way of an apology, the two parts after that update will include a Major “Hall of Fame” and a museum.

Oh…
And a hot dog.

Yah for the hot dog! :woohoo:

Charlie Dog: "Look, bud. Don't miss this golden opportunity. I am 50 percent pointer. (points his finger in various directions) There it is… There it is… There it is… 50 percent boxer. (does some boxing moves) 50 percent setter. (sits on a stool and smokes a pipe) Irish setter. 50 percent watchdog. (pulls a pocket watch out of his waist fur) 50 percent spitz." (spits on the ground), but mostly I'm all Labrador retriever."

Porky: "Oh, you are n-n-not a Labrador retriever."

Charlie Dog: "I'm not."

Porky: "No. You are n-n-not neither no Labrador retriever."

Charlie Dog: "Look, if you doubt my word, get me a Labrador, and I'll retrieve it. That's fair, isn't it?"

Porky: "A l-l-Labrador? W-w-well sure, I... ah... you..."

Charlie Dog: "Have you got a Labrador?"

Porky: "N-no."

Charlie Dog: "Know where you can get a Labrador?"

Porky: "N-n-n-no!"

Charlie Dog: "Then shudd-up.”

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Ah, Looney Tunes. This is what I call art.

As for the gimmick aspect of it…
I actually thought about that. I figured it would give everyone some realistic reason to follow along. But lacking any appreciable amount of creativity, I just couldn’t come up with a good idea (short of plagiarizing something that has already been done before).

Plagiarizing? That would be like inserting movie quotes from other, better writers. Nobody would stoop that low.

The truth of the mater is that there was actually a good bit of travel on our horizon; it was just shrouded in mist and mystery at the time.

I hope you drove carefully, then.

It’s a hub for US Air, does not have any service from Southwest, and the folks at “Agony Air” have virtually no other competition. As such, prices are monopolistically high.

And that's before the bag fees.

Here let me illustrate the problem…

I don't see Delaware on any of these excursions. :confused3

Along the way, We’ll encounter new cities, several museums, an honest to goodness major “Hall of Fame” (but probably not the one you’re thinking of), history, culture, several ships (hay it’s me remember… there has to be ships), interesting dining options and even a major amusement park (just not one of Walt’s).

popcorn::

Please observe that if you do not wish to continue on this ride, the final emergency exit is just to your left… it’s the back button on your browser (and it may well be a left you ought to take), but if you choose to continue on, the elevator will be here shortly…

Oh, no. I'm not falling for that one again.

Next up: “Guess what kids… We’re going to Dayton!”

“Yippee?”

"They said we made space travel look as exciting as a trip to Pittsburgh."

popcorn:: Nope, throwing caution to the wind and joining in for this one. I always get great insight and knowledge in reading your trip reports. Trudge on my friend...you had me at the BB reference.:drive:

You should not read this Trip Report.
Ok, Bye

After near a decade of finding one way or another to get ourselves a little bit of Pixy Dust about once per annum, we finally hit a dry patch; a very dry patch.

We’re talking arid…

parched…

desiccated…

Sahara-esk in scale.
I'm sorry... one year and you're a drama queen about it???

I went from 1998 to 2008.

No matter, I just enjoy taking the time to recount the trips for my own amusement. It gives me something to focus on beyond the job that no longer captures my imagination.
I can understand that sentiment.

My demonstrated lack of devotees (beyond a few diehards that enjoy ripping my prose to shreds purely for the sport of it)
Surely, you're not talking about me...

But I’m going to write about it anyway.

That being the case…
why not take the time to regularly insult me and savage my feeble linguistic abilities.

That part of it might actually be fun…
For you.
If you insist. :thumbsup2

You, however…
will be playing the part of the evil villain whose every waking moment is consumed by the need to tear down and destroy everything in sight. While I, being your host, will certainly supply you with plenty of opportunities to do so and many structures upon which devastation can be wrought.
I think I'm up to the challenge. Not that it will be much of a challenge.

What this means to me is that “nearly all” of our travels are relegated to the distance I can drive a vehicle (and even that must then be within the short time frames that my employer will allow me to be “out of pocket”). Given this handicap, the key to getting nearly anywhere is to hop onto the mighty Eisenhower thoroughfares
ROAD TRIP!!!! :moped: :thumbsup2

the big “I”s are generally the most direct route to any destination and therefore allow you to save as much time as possible for actually enjoying said destination.
They're typically the fastest, but not necessarily most direct...:drive:

I was continually headed away form Disney.
My evil plans were coming together quite nicely...

And (as my few regular readers know) there is always the potential for an unexpected “Bonus Feature” to raise its ugly head
Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Well that’s about it for the introductions, explanations, disclaimers, warnings…
Actually, I haven't seen any introductions yet...

Next up: “Guess what kids… We’re going to Dayton!”

“Yippee?”
[/CENTER]
Do we get a tour of Hangar 18? :darth::yoda: :rotfl2:

Aren't intros supposed to consist of the people ON THE trip? Correct me if I'm wrong. :confused3
And your voice of sanity is on the attack! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

I thought we were going to Dayton?

At least Andy is entertaining us while we wait. Thanks Andy!:thumbsup2

He must have been abducted by one of those little green men they have stashed at Wright-Patterson. :rolleyes1

and I have some more popcorn right here, Kathy!

popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::

You're going to need it. You're also going to need this:

:drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1

If you've been waiting for me, I'm here now, and we can get going.

(That will also comprise the first and last time that I mention anything resembling the apparent speed of a TR. I'm bogged down on my own, have another to write, and am woefully behind on reading the ones I want to be reading.)

:lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

Ah, Looney Tunes. This is what I call art.

And there are many others that agree…
Myself included!

Plagiarizing? That would be like inserting movie quotes from other, better writers. Nobody would stoop that low.

No one I know.
Maybe what we’re really discussing here in intellectual property theft then.
You know… Chinese innovation
(I didn’t actually say that did I? :rolleyes1: )

I mean, such greats as “Spot the Quote”, “Find the Lie” and “The Beverly Slogan Contest”, have all been done…

Seriously… what’s left?

I hope you drove carefully, then.

My car is older then everyone else’s.
If they want to protect their investments…
They’ll get the heck out of my way.

And that's before the bag fees.

I think the law should be that they simply advertise the whole price and be done with it.
It’s like the infomercials that sell crap for “five easy payments of 19.95”.

It don’t matter how you rearrange it, that’s a hundred bucks.
(Plus shipping and handling :rolleyes: )

I don't see Delaware on any of these excursions. :confused3

:sad2: alas tis true.

I’d planed a much greater summer adventure you may remember, but the rest of the world wouldn’t allow it.

Oh, no. I'm not falling for that one again.

Been here before have you?

"They said we made space travel look as exciting as a trip to Pittsburgh."

Yah, but Jim will be back home... on Friday…

Actually, I’ve seen at least one person around here make parts of Pittsburgh appear to be quite entertaining.

:thumbsup2

popcorn:: Nope, throwing caution to the wind and joining in for this one. I always get great insight and knowledge in reading your trip reports. Trudge on my friend...you had me at the BB reference.:drive:

:welcome:

Dave!!!
Good to hear from you.

Insight and knowledge! :scratchin

You sure you’re readin’ this in the same language that I’m typin’ it in?
Might want to check you setting there.

But if you’re bound and determined to stay, by all means, welcome aboard.

Well imagine that!
My nemesis is the only one with enough smarts to actually listen to me.
I may have to reevaluate my opinion of your intellect.

I'm sorry... one year and you're a drama queen about it???

I went from 1998 to 2008.

OK… reevaluation complete.
You quickly descended to the murky depths of my expectations for you and then kept right on digging.

Drama queen eh….

As God is my witness, I shall never go without annual Disney trips again!

Besides, didn’t you just go twice in a year, and get someone else to pay for a big chunk of one of ‘em? As for the fact that you we missed the Magic for near a decade… that just reafirmes my current reevaluation of you intellect.

I can understand that sentiment.

He can be taught!

japanmovieprogram_20_td.jpg

Surely, you're not talking about me...

Oh noooo…. Never…. Wouldn’t think of it.
And don’t call me Shirley.

‘less you want I should start callin’ you Laverne.

If you insist. :thumbsup2

Oh indubitably… I insist… You simply must continue on!

I think I'm up to the challenge. Not that it will be much of a challenge.

I kept the bar low so as to entice you farther into the trap.

ROAD TRIP!!!! :moped: :thumbsup2

You can't spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes!
You fouled up... you trusted us!
Hey, make the best of it!

They're typically the fastest, but not necessarily most direct...:drive:

I won’t argue that point. Kind’a depends on whether the place you’re going is in the middle of one of the interstate voids. Actually getting to the SC coast from my house is an adventure in back road travle (that will get discussed in more detail latter on).

Whoa… a rational exchange.
What’s the world coming to?

My evil plans were coming together quite nicely...

You’re parents must be so proud…

Here we go again... :rolleyes:

Are we going somewhere?
Ooooo, this could be fun; where ‘we headed?

Tell ya’ what. You pick the first off-topic.
Then everyone else can blame you for it.

Actually, I haven't seen any introductions yet...

Pilling on are we…
I did explain it but since y’all are going to make an issue out of this…
You’re now going to have to suffer the consequences.

Bwwwwwwwwhhhhaaahhhaaahhhaaaa!

Do we get a tour of Hangar 18? :darth::yoda: :rotfl2:

As a matter of fact… :rolleyes1:

And while we’re there I’ve got a special tour planed just for you.
It’s just down the hall here…
You go on, I’ll catch up in a little bit… honest!

And your voice of sanity is on the attack! :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Yah, I noticed that.
Momentarily, you’ll both be payin’ for that transgression.
I assure you.

:lmao:

What other TR comes equipped with its own jester?

:joker:

Hello. Anybody home? My popcorn is almost gone.

He must have been abducted by one of those little green men they have stashed at Wright-Patterson. :rolleyes1

and I have some more popcorn right here, Kathy!

You're going to need it. You're also going to need this:

:drinking1 :drinking1 :drinking1

Y’all consider two days a long time between updates?
Mind if I were to hold y’all to the same standard?

Well since y’all have settled in for a nice long wait…
I might as well kick back and take a break for a week or two before posting the next update.

Here… I think I’ll have me some of that beer that Andy brought

t0364.gif

If you've been waiting for me, I'm here now, and we can get going.

(That will also comprise the first and last time that I mention anything resembling the apparent speed of a TR. I'm bogged down on my own, have another to write, and am woefully behind on reading the ones I want to be reading.)

Oh good lord!
Are y’all telling me that it’s going to be Barry that will be the voice of reason!!!!

I don’t have to take y’all to see Hanger-18… We’re already here! :scared:

OK… I calm now. Howdy Barry…
As a matter of fact, I was waiting on you to get here.
Now that you have …

I may just post the next part of this disaster.

:welcome:

and am woefully behind on reading the ones I want to be reading.)

I can attest to that! :lmao::lmao::lmao:

user83559_pic43268_1255723460.gif

Chapter 2: With Arms Wide Open

C02-001.jpg

Part-0: The Introduction you foolishly asked for…

Well, as Kat pointed out a little bit ago (and Andy then piled on being as he lacked anything original to complain about), traditionally, a TR introduction will “introduce” the players and generally set up the parameters of the trip to follow. She (and my feckless nemesis) also noted that mine really only muddied the waters and never actually introduced anyone.

Time to rectify that situation…

And also to point out that if you keep demanding that I write even more useless crap… then you’re just going to have to read more useless crap. Seems to me that y’all are just purposely giving me reason to abuse you farther for no real gain on your own part. Just something to think about.

Y’all can think right?​

Now to re-explain what I thought I’d already explained…

This TR will be about several different trips (with one chapter of varying lengths devoted to each). From here on, I’ll start each new chapter with a proper introduction for the particular excursion to come. A little like the various “Navis and Mags” chapters that litter and mar my prior TR on the “art” of Cruising DCL.

And so…
It is with deepest pleasure and greatest pride that I welcome you tonight.
And now, we invite you to relax. Let us pull up a chair as the dining room proudly presents...

your dinn… Errrrrrr… ummmm…

I mean… the first gratuitous introduction.

And there was much rejoicing!

T4-004.jpg

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
The Gem in the Crown

Welcome to the Official Introduction for April, 2012’s unexpected road trip. This one is school related (being as it was a school function that facilitated our taking it in the first place). It could easily have been something that only Max would have undertaken, but it was scheduled for late in the month when I could actually get away from work. Given that bit of good fortune, mom and dad decided that it might make for a good excursion (and most certainly a unique one).

Meet: mom and dad…

C02-002.jpg

The pretty one there on the left would be Tamara. A proper southern bell, undeniable saint and the main reason I’ve survived the riggers of life thus far (having settled for me… her judgment might be questionable, but that don’t infringe on her sainthood). The galoot on the right there... that would be me (this would be a good time to overt your eyes).

Now, as I was sayin’ a moment ago… this trip offered us an excellent chance to not only add to our own enjoyment and life experiences, but also to support our young’en in something that was very important to him.

The young’en in question would be this fellow right here…

C02-003.jpg

Max

A high school junior at the time of the trip but now finishing up his last year in the public schools and currently making plans to head off to college. Actually he’s been accepted to a couple of ‘em, but I ain’t so sure my wallet will survive that next phase of his life’s trajectory.

College traumas aside, here’s the specific trip we’ll be discussing this time around (map wise that is)…

C02-004.jpg

Back in April or 2012 we were headed to western Ohio and specifically to Dayton.

The “Gem City”…
home of the Wright Brothers

(we’ll get to those side trips a little later on)

The reasons behind that “Gem City” nickname are a might obscure. The most common one being that since Cincinnati is “The Queen City” (which is really confusing to us, being as Charlotte is also called that and is actually named for a queen), then it follows that Dayton (just to the north) is the “Jewel in the Crown”. Myself… I rather like the story that the “Gem” part of it comes from the name of a successful racehorse in the city’s more dubious past. Feel free to make up you own back story (that’s more fun anyway)

Like most cities of any size (and a few that might seem to be no more then bumps in the road), There are actually a number of interesting things to occupy ones attention in this burgh.

The National Museum of the U.S. Air Force

America's Packard Museum - The Citizens Motorcar Co.

and Carillon Historical Park among other sites.

There are also a couple of universities (Write State and Dayton U), and we were going to be spending a good bit of time in one of those fine institution’s arena enjoying displays of artistic interpretation combined with some fairly fierce competition.

Well, the grown ups will be enjoying, ‘cause we have no work that has to be done (on this trip at least). The boy on the other hand has a lot of work to do on this joy ride…

quite a lot.

He’s still going to enjoy it, and even create indelible memories that he can treasure for the rest of his days, but he’s going to have to work for the privilege.

Fair warning!!!

The next part of this chapter includes arcane bits of information that will not interest most non-geeks, and will therefore be short on touristy type fair. Given that you now have to read through that kind of tripe and combine it with your previous irrational demands that I add additional chapters like this one…

I have to stop and ask you: “Just what where you thinking in the first place?”

I will make up for this insult (somewhat) in the parts to follow, but I figured you should be warned. You now have the option of skipping Part-1 and waiting for the less geeky stuff.

Well now, about the only other detail that could use some explaining at this point would be just why this chapter is named:

“With Arms Wide Open”

Sorry Charlie, can’t give you that one yet, you’ve got to endure Part-1 of the chapter to get to that (geeky) little tidbit. Yep that would be the part coming up that I just told you to skip… quite the dilemma ehh?

OK, enough of this foolish introduction nonsense
(and I hope you’re satisfied with the suffering and havoc that you created for yourselves).

Let’s head on out to:

Beautiful Downtown Dayton!

C02-005-1.jpg

Actually, that is kind’a purr-ty, now ain’t it?

Part 1: W. G. I.

A lot of folks… possibly even most folks… have kids that are into sports of one form or another. Which means that as parents, they have a common frame of reference when it comes to the amount of time spent traveling from one venue to another either to get the kids to the next big game or just to even have an opportunity to see said competition for ourselves.

C02-102.jpg

Those whose kids get to be rather good at their sport of choice also know about those even longer trips for regional tournaments and multi-state championships. These trips can be quite an adventure, and also have a habit of coming up unexpectedly. I mean, you can’t really predict just exactly how well a team will do in any given season; sometimes things come together just right and everyone gets to firing on the same cylinders and the next thing you know, you’re off on a long distance adventure to see just how good your young’ens are compared to any number of other worthy groups from around the country.

C02-103.jpg

But did you know that the same thing can still occur even if you kids are geeky musicians as opposed to being athletically inclined?

Well I’m here to tell you that my boy has absolutely no interest in pretty much any sport what so ever. No favorite ball player, or favorite team, no posters on the walls or even a stack of trading cards of any kind. Nope… his heroes are composers and the teams that he follows, roots for, has absolute opinions on and spends time searching for on Youtube are Drum and Bugle corps.

Really!

So it would be easy to assume that I don’t have any real understanding of the trials and tribulations that befall the weary parents of those talented athletes I was discussing. That since my family is obviously not normal (from a stereotypical “Red Blooded American” prospective that is); the vivid descriptions were simply a ploy to ingratiate myself with the majority of potential readers (all three or four of them).

Nope… not so.

Geeks do the same kind of long distance traveling for regional competitions that normal folks do…
just for “geeky’ reasons.

And that’s why in mid April of 2012; we were heading to Dayton Ohio.

The First Right Turn of the Year

So as to get this already excessively verbose TR on the move, I’m going to dive (or is that drive) right into the actual roadway part of the journey and then explain the reasons as I go.

18 April, 2012.

There was a good bit of asphalt to traverse in our future, but we chose to sleep in a bit and let all the commuter traffic clear out (no sense in fighting that battle if I didn’t have to). After a leisurely breakfast the road beckoned. Upon reaching the critical junction at the corner of SC-160 and I-77, we made a right turn (headed away from Disney) that took us north toward what once was called The Northwest Territory.

That’s one…

I’ve discussed this several times in the past, but it seems that I can’t drive a distance of more then about three hundred miles without getting rained on. Today was no different.

C02-104.jpg

The first half of the drive would look a lot like that. We were headed to Ohio by way of West Virginia and that route would take us through the capitol. I was actually born in Charleston, WV (the reason I say that I’m a hillbilly by birth) and I had the intention of stopping in at the capitol building for a little look around at the grounds, monuments and museums before getting back on the road. But…

The abysmal weather just convinced me otherwise. This is as close as we got

C02-105.jpg

…a sighting of the gilded Capitol dome in the distance obscured by precipitation and the constant rhythmic motion of the wiper blades.

We’ll just keep pushing on, I do believe.

Sizzles, Zings, Flips, Bell-Taps and Hinge Chokes

Ok, while we’re making our way out of the Kanawha river valley and starting on a more westerly trajectory, I’m going to digress a little bit. There are things that need ‘splainin’ so I’ll toss them out in smaller doses while we’re in the midst of the drive here.

As I alluded at the beginning of this chapter, Max is not an athlete per say, he’s a musician (but believe it or not, that requires a good bit of athleticism and a whole lot of stamina).

C02-106.jpg

Music is the one thing that really gets his passion up and he intends to study music performances and music education in collage (once I can figure out how to pay for it). His weapons of choice are trombones and baritones and he quite good at them. To that point, he just finished in the second spot in our ten county regional honors band auditions and has been called back to compete for a spot in the all state bands. Given this abilities on brass horns, imagine our surprise when he informed us early in the year that we was joining the schools competition “Indoor Percussion Unit”…

playing cymbals!

C02-107.jpg

Whoa… what?

Actuality, this ain’t as odd as it sounds. Indoor Percussion is a lot like full marching band (which he loves), but on a smaller scale, performed indoors (well duh) and with no horns. The directors at Nation Ford High School needed twenty-five people to fill all the spots for this years competition show. Problem is, they just didn’t have that many kids in the percussion section alone. No problem, the instructors looked for folks from the horn line to fill out the compliment. Specifically they needed people to learn and play the cymbals, some of the base drums and auxiliary percussion. The skills needed: high rhythm abilities, excellent marching skills and upper body strength. Needles to say, most of the young’ens taped for these spots came out of the low brass section as they were quite used to wielding a good deal of extra weight while also playing complex rhythms on the move.

There are only a few rudiments that need to be learned on a set of cymbals (like those listed in the name of this subsection) but their purpose is at times more visual and the bulk of the work (and I mean weeks worth of it) was spent after school in the gym learning the marching drill for their competition show.

C02-108.jpg

Even though it is a percussion unit, there are also folks playing marimbas, xylophones, vibraphones, and even keyboards, so there is melody to the performance as well as rhythm. The main piece of music chosen this season was “Amazing Grace” (yes, I’m serious… that’s the main theme) That was combined with a more obscure modern praise tune titled: “With Arms Wide Open” (not the “Creed” song… this is a very different tune) it was this second tune that gave the show its title (so as not to give away too much to anyone who had never seen the performance before).

Don’t believe it’s possible to combine a marching drum line with “Amazing Grace”… go click on that YouTube link at the top of this post.

Anyway, the kids started work in January and entered their first competition in March. Unlike the work Max had always done with the full marching band, where I was part of the road crew and pretty much knew every aspect of the show, this was all done on his time. The first performance I really saw was at their first competition as a spectator (something new for me as I was usually down on the field hauling gear). When all was said and done that day, they had came in forth overall.

Not knowing what to expect, and our school having never competed is this particular type of performance venue before, we were floored.

The next contest, they won their division (more shock and awe).
The one after that was an invitation to perform in the W G I Grand Nationals (that acronym there stands for: “Winter Guard International”)…

Which are held annually in and around… you guess it… Dayton, Ohio.

Terra Incognita

Meanwhile back in the Appalachians…

Things finally started clearing up weather wise as we got onto US-35 and approached the Ohio River.

C02-109.jpg

Moments later, we were entering uncharted territory (for us at least)…

C02-110.jpg

This eastern part of Ohio is very similar to the majority of West Virginia; low mountains and expansive valleys.

C02-111.jpg

But soon enough it flattened out into almost prairie like farm lands and presented a fairly consistent view of “not much” for the next couple hundred miles. On the up side, US-35 through southern Ohio is a fairly well maintained limited access divided highway with very manageable traffic. The drive may have lacked grand sites, but it also lacked any major frustrations.

Somewhere in the early evening we got back into civilization and found ourselves entering the outskirts of Dayton, Ohio.

C02-112.jpg

Tamara and I checked into a good hotel room in the north side of town (in an area known as Hubber Heights), got some dinner at a very nice local Italian restaurant within walking distance and then settled in for the evening. Tomorrow had the potential of being a very long day.

Camaraderie

You’ll notice that a moment ago when I said that we had checked into a hotel, I failed to mention that that our son was part of the group. That would be because he wasn’t there.

With us that is.

He had made the journey up to Dayton via bus the day before. Well via “coach” actually but it’s a similar idea that my regular readers are now quite familiar with.

To cut down on the cost burden on each family, they split the travel expenses by sharing the trip with a percussion unit from one of the other schools in the area where we live. Since each school’s scheduled initial performance times were several hours apart, they also took turns helping each other haul gear and stage-set once inside the arena.

As an additional method of conserving funds, they also skipped the hotels and camped out at a youth center in the Dayton area. Since this space included a regulation gymnasium, it was also a good spot to rehearse prior to performance day. Some kids from the adjacent elementary school even took a short field trip to walk over and watch them work. Needless to say, this was an activity that most of them had not encountered before.

C02-113.jpg

There was a Q&A session afterward and several of the younger kids were impressed enough to say that they were now considering music once they got into middle school. It’s a good day when you can inspire someone to try something new.

Being as this road trip was going on while school was still in session, there were also regular (and mandatory) homework-a-thons.

C02-114.jpg

Oh, when I said earlier that they “camped out” at this youth center, I meant it; sleeping bags and all. I tried to convince Max to take an air mattress as well but he figured that no one else would and vetoed the idea on the grounds of not wanting to stand out. I argued that rather then standing out, those without would be dope-slapping themselves wishing that they’d thought to bring such, but (being smarter the me) he begged to differ. Once everyone started settling in for the first evening though, it turned out that most of the others had come to a similar conclusion as I had. Being wrong is bad enough, but the boy also had to sleep directly on the hard floor for his trouble. Needless to say, my bed was a lot comfier then his.

Lesson learned?

Don’t know.

We’ll see the next time a similar situation arises. He was certainly mad at himself afterward, so just maybe he’ll listen a little more seriously the next time I offer up a bit of advice.

A teenager… listen… to a parent!
What kind of dream world you livin’ in boy?

Round One

The next morning was bright and clear. Not a drop of rain in the forecast (‘bout time too). Now since we’d be indoors all day, that didn’t really matter much, but it still beat the conditions of the day before. Tamara and I headed to the Dayton University Arena (Home of the Flyers), found ourselves good seats in the lower level and settled in. We’d be here a while. There are several classes of competition, but the largest was made up of musicians affiliated with specific high schools from around the country. Sixty-four of them to be more precise; divided up into four rounds of 16 units each. We intended to stay and see every one of them perform (yep we’re that nutty). Oh, and if the kids made it into the next round, we’d be stayin’ for that as well.

At about this same time our kids were outside in the parking lot warming up and getting in some last minute practice.

C02-115.jpg

They were scheduled to perform second to last in the first group. You’d think that would give one plenty of time to prepare, but their call time rolled around far quicker that it seemed like it should have. While waiting on deck some watched the folks ahead of them on the overhead monitors, others were trying to stay focuses on the performance to come.

C02-116.jpg

At 12:05 they were given control of the floor. The kids from the other school were on hand and helped spread the floor tarp…

C02-117.jpg

Every group uses one of these to define the size of the stage and as a thematic visual for their performance. Watching each group unfold their tarp is like getting to open a present. Some are very creative. They give you a clue about what their going to do and along with the title of the show, offer some insight into the nature of the performance to come and what pieces of music they may be interpreting.

…and a minute later they were all set for the only guaranteed performance they’d get.

C02-118.jpg

Three quarters of the schools that would be performing that day would get only one shot and then they’d be headed home. If we were going to make it into the semifinals, the kids would have to finish in the top three of their round. If that didn’t happen then it would be a fight against twenty-six other groups from the first half of the day for only three remaining wildcard spots. Since the Nation Ford percussion unit had never competed on a national level before, we didn’t know what to expect. We had no real frame of reference. All they could do was take the court and put on the best performance they had in them.

The end result of this run…

C02-119.jpg

Looks like we’re going to be here for a while yet.

Next up: Is that Lake Erie?

And low and behold…
we’ll be doing a bit of actual sightseeing

Really!

Collage

Lets head on out to:

Beautiful Downtown Dayton!

C02-005-1.jpg

Actually, that is kinda purr-ty, now aint it?

It's about time we got to Dayton!:mad:

And if your talking about those big buildings where we pay ridiculous amounts of money to get rid of our kids for 4 years, that is a COLLEGE, not a collage. A collage is basically an bunch of pictures thrown together for ones enjoyment.:thumbsup2:rotfl2::rotfl2: You said I could do it.

I mean, such greats as “Spot the Quote”, “Find the Lie” and “The Beverly Slogan Contest”, have all been done…

Seriously, what's left?

"Write This TR For Me"?:confused3

Actually, I’ve seen at least one person around here make parts of Pittsburgh appear to be quite entertaining.

:woohoo: Shameless plug on page 2! :cool1:

The reasons behind that “Gem City” nickname are a might obscure. The most common one being that since Cincinnati is “The Queen City” (which is really confusing to us, being as Charlotte is also called that and is actually named for a queen), then it follows that Dayton (just to the north) is the “Jewel in the Crown”. Myself… I rather like the story that the “Gem” part of it comes from the name of a successful racehorse in the city’s more dubious past. Feel free to make up you own back story (that’s more fun anyway)

I like the Legend of the Dayton Six, myself. These six nefarious individuals managed to steal the Crown Jewels from England in a complicated Jubilee heist (the current Crown Jewels are actually a replica) and then hid them in a deep haunted cave somewhere under Dayton, Ohio...because no one would think to look for them there.

No, it doesn't make sense and the plot holes become more apparent the longer you think about them, but it sounds cool.:thumbsup2

The next part of this chapter includes arcane bits of information that will not interest most non-geeks, and will therefore be short on touristy type fair.

Do I need to submit my geek qualifications here?

I have to stop and ask you: “Just what where you thinking in the first place?”

I try not to answer that question. Too many painful memories.

Those whose kids get to be rather good at their sport of choice also know about those even longer trips for regional tournaments and multi-state championships. These trips can be quite an adventure, and also have a habit of coming up unexpectedly. I mean, you can’t really predict just exactly how well a team will do in any given season; sometimes things come together just right and everyone gets to firing on the same cylinders and the next thing you know, you’re off on a long distance adventure to see just how good your young’ens are compared to any number of other worthy groups from around the country.

Unless, of course, your kids happen to play for a Philadelphia sports team, and then you already know how it will end.

Well I’m here to tell you that my boy has absolutely no interest in pretty much any sport what so ever. No favorite ball player, or favorite team, no posters on the walls or even a stack of trading cards of any kind.

Communists! Where's Joe McCarthy when you need him?

Nope… his heroes are composers and the teams that he follows, roots for, has absolute opinions on and spends time searching for on Youtube are Drum and Bugle corps.

Oh. Well, I guess that's ok too.

That since my family is obviously not normal (from a stereotypical “Red Blooded American” prospective that is); the vivid descriptions were simply a ploy to ingratiate myself with the majority of potential readers (all three or four of them).

Are you SURE you're not with the KGB?:confused3:rotfl2:

After a leisurely breakfast the road beckoned. Upon reaching the critical junction at the corner of SC-160 and I-77, we made a right turn (headed away from Disney)

Boo.

Given this abilities on brass horns, imagine our surprise when he informed us early in the year that we was joining the schools competition “Indoor Percussion Unit”…

playing cymbals!

I remember watching drum line competitions on our school band trips and thinking they were the coolest thing ever.

The first performance I really saw was at their first competition as a spectator (something new for me as I was usually down on the field hauling gear). When all was said and done that day, they had came in forth overall.

Not knowing what to expect, and our school having never competed is this particular type of performance venue before, we were floored.

The next contest, they won their division (more shock and awe).

Impressive! :darth:

Some kids from the adjacent elementary school even took a short field trip to walk over and watch them work. Needless to say, this was an activity that most of them had not encountered before.

There was a Q&A session afterward and several of the younger kids were impressed enough to say that they were now considering music once they got into middle school. It’s a good day when you can inspire someone to try something new.

Cool! :thumbsup2

Oh, when I said earlier that they “camped out” at this youth center, I meant it; sleeping bags and all. I tried to convince Max to take an air mattress as well but he figured that no one else would and vetoed the idea on the grounds of not wanting to stand out. I argued that rather then standing out, those without would be dope-slapping themselves wishing that they’d thought to bring such, but (being smarter the me) he begged to differ. Once everyone started settling in for the first evening though, it turned out that most of the others had come to a similar conclusion as I had. Being wrong is bad enough, but the boy also had to sleep directly on the hard floor for his trouble. Needless to say, my bed was a lot comfier then his.

:sad2: This is known in parenting circles as allowing your kids to "fail forward". You only need to learn that lesson once. Well, most people, anyway.

Since the Nation Ford percussion unit had never competed on a national level before, we didn’t know what to expect. We had no real frame of reference. All they could do was take the court and put on the best performance they had in them.

The end result of this run…

C02-119.jpg

Nicely done!:thumbsup2

And also to point out that if you keep demanding that I write even more useless crap… then you’re just going to have to read more useless crap. Seems to me that y’all are just purposely giving me reason to abuse you farther for no real gain on your own part. Just something to think about.

Y’all can think right?​
Hey, sometimes your useless crap has some entertainment value to it... what can I say?

And so…
It is with deepest pleasure and greatest pride that I welcome you tonight.
And now, we invite you to relax. Let us pull up a chair as the dining room proudly presents...

your dinn
Alright, this thing is about to get good!!!!:cool1:

Errrrrrr… ummmm…

I mean… the first gratuitous introduction.
Nevermind :sad2:

The pretty one there on the left would be Tamara. A proper southern bell, undeniable saint and the main reason I’ve survived the riggers of life thus far (having settled for me… her judgment might be questionable, but that don’t infringe on her sainthood). The galoot on the right there... that would be me (this would be a good time to overt your eyes).
Looks like quite the happy couple. And I think you're right about her being a saint to put up with you, but I'll give her the benefit of the doubt as far as judgement goes.

Actually he’s been accepted to a couple of ‘em, but I ain’t so sure my wallet will survive that next phase of his life’s trajectory.
I'm sure you'll find a way. May not be easy, but good luck.

I don't know about the Queen City and the Gem City part, but I can't talk about Cincinnati and Dayton without thinking of Big Butter Jesus.

The next part of this chapter includes arcane bits of information that will not interest most non-geeks, and will therefore be short on touristy type fair.
Yeah, but I think it is safe to say that most of your readers are in that geek category.

“With Arms Wide Open”
Hmmm... maybe you did make a detour to see Big Butter Jesus, Jr.

I’ve discussed this several times in the past, but it seems that I can’t drive a distance of more then about three hundred miles without getting rained on. Today was no different.
Naturally... :drive:

The abysmal weather just convinced me otherwise. This is as close as we got
Yep, staying dry is probably a better plan.

Needles to say, most of the young’ens taped for these spots came out of the low brass section as they were quite used to wielding a good deal of extra weight while also playing complex rhythms on the move.
Nothing wrong with expanding your horizons as a senior in HS and trying something new!:thumbsup2

The one after that was an invitation to perform in the W G I Grand Nationals (that acronym there stands for: “Winter Guard International”)…

Which are held annually in and around… you guess it… Dayton, Ohio.
Is it just me, or is it hard to think of Dayton, Oh as the host for anything on that large of a scale? :lmao::rotfl2::rotfl:

But soon enough it flattened out into almost prairie like farm lands and presented a fairly consistent view of “not much” for the next couple hundred miles.
Are you referring to corn fields as "not much?" :mad:

To cut down on the cost burden on each family, they split the travel expenses by sharing the trip with a percussion unit from one of the other schools in the area where we live.
I hope they'll be able to work well together instead of sabotaging each other.

It’s a good day when you can inspire someone to try something new.
::yes::

Being wrong is bad enough, but the boy also had to sleep directly on the hard floor for his trouble. Needless to say, my bed was a lot comfier then his.
Ouch...

He was certainly mad at himself afterward, so just maybe he’ll listen a little more seriously the next time I offer up a bit of advice.
Well, I can't blame him for not following your advice. That usually would be the way to go.

Impressive... :thumbsup2

Isn't that Don's thing??? :lmao::rotfl2:

It's about time we got to Dayton!:mad:

When it’s your TR…
you can get there as fast as it suits you. :rolleyes:

And if your talking about those big buildings where we pay ridiculous amounts of money to get rid of our kids for 4 years, that is a COLLEGE, not a collage. A collage is basically an bunch of pictures thrown together for ones enjoyment.:thumbsup2

Well… isn’t a collage what a TR actually is in the first place?
‘Must be where my mind was subconsciously heading.

By the way…
I think you misused a word up there in that last assault on my character.

:rolleyes1:

:rotfl2::rotfl2: You said I could do it.

Yes I did…
But I didn’t say there wouldn’t be consciences.

You will now be playing the part of the English teacher.
We’ll now be referring to you as: “Mrs. Jackson”…

T4-005.jpg

…the individual who taught me to despise English teachers beyond even the bullies that beat me regularly. It literally took over thirty years before I even attempted to write so much as a paragraph for my own enjoyment (much less something like a TR) do to that particular educator’s singular efforts. You will now serve as her stand in for the rest of this literary failure. As you’ve already caught me misspelling one word, the entire paper will receive an automatic “F”, so any other mistakes identified will simply be noted by additional minus signs added to the failing grade (and yes, she did stuff like that)?

Oh, and at least I did go back and correct the mistake
(the lesson learned: “Auto-correct” does you no favors).

Kat nearly had me do that one for her a couple of days ago. I told her to just send me the pictures, but when I then pointed out that I’d be making up the story behind the pictures as I saw fit…

She wisely declined the offer.

:woohoo: Shameless plug on page 2! :cool1:

depending on how the commentary goes…
you’ll liekly see more.

I like the Legend of the Dayton Six, myself. These six nefarious individuals managed to steal the Crown Jewels from England in a complicated Jubilee heist (the current Crown Jewels are actually a replica) and then hid them in a deep haunted cave somewhere under Dayton, Ohio...because no one would think to look for them there.

No, it doesn't make sense and the plot holes become more apparent the longer you think about them, but it sounds cool.:thumbsup2

That’s a winner! I’ll hack Wikipedia later on to stick that one in there prominently.

If I have any more place nicknames that need explaining, I may have to ask for alternative stories from the peanut gallery. Worthless points may be offered up to the best “explanations”.

There…
A plausible (if unlikely) TR game in the making.
Right now, you’re in the lead.

+1 :thumbsup2

Do I need to submit my geek qualifications here?

Naaaaa…
You’ve proven that you qualify ten times over in past TRs.
Now I should have clarified that the last update was going to be more suited to “Band Geeks”, but…
All geeks are really kindred spirits.

I try not to answer that question. Too many painful memories.

A TR as a cathartic experience.
Who’d a thunk.

Unless, of course, your kids happen to play for a Philadelphia sports team, and then you already know how it will end.

Like playing for the Cubs of the Maple leafs ehhh?
Remember I live near Charlotte and am also a long time Dolphins fan.
I dwell in your cave.

Communists! Where's Joe McCarthy when you need him?

Interesting…
That’s just about exactly what the vast majority of my neighbors believe.

Fervently.

And I’m not kidding. :sad2:

Oh. Well, I guess that's ok too.

For Band Geeks anyway.

Are you SURE you're not with the KGB?:confused3:rotfl2:

Я буду иметь пиво, и этот парень будет платить за это

Agreed :sad2:
But it was still a good trip.

I remember watching drum line competitions on our school band trips and thinking they were the coolest thing ever.

They can be.
We saw some really amazing stuff up there.

Impressive! :darth:

Our kids never cease to amaze us do they?
This bunch here will do it again in my October/November chapter later on in this rambling shambles of a story.

:sad2: This is known in parenting circles as allowing your kids to "fail forward". You only need to learn that lesson once. Well, most people, anyway.

Yep. That one is a direct corollary of House Rule-13.
(I can repost the whole rule list later for that’s that missed them if y’all are interested.)

Nicely done!:thumbsup2

They have a knack for that.
They ain’t perfect, but very often, they’re very good at what they do.

Makes ya’ proud.

Makes ya’ consider going into eternal debt for college so that they can keep it up.

The thought of which makes you cry, but you still consider it.

::yes::

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter