I slipped and fell on the ice today - I hope I'll be able to get out of bed tomorrow

Towncrier

DIS Veteran
Yesterday it was in the 50's here in NE Ohio. As the day wound down, it started to rain, washing all the salt off the roads and parking lots. The temperatures plummeted to the teens overnight, so I should have been prepared for the treacherous conditions this morning. After unsticking the frozen car doors, we drove to church. I parked without incident. That's when the fun began. Our chuch is in the midst of a huge construction project and, as such, the parking lot is a bit jumbled. As I was walking to the church, I was concerned for Sarah as she is very afraid of slipping and falling on the ice. At precisely the wrong moment, I turned to see if I could take Sarah's arm and keep her upright during our trip across the lot. Just then, I stepped onto a patch of black ice that was covered by a light coating of snow. I lost my footing and fell, first on my backside, then onto my back. There was a large (and frozen) piece of clay about the size of a bowling ball directly beneath my head. Sue said that my eyes nearly bugged out when my head slammed into that hunk of clay. Immediately, Sarah fell too. Sue was convinced that I had split my skull wide open because I was just laying there with a blank stare on my face. Then Sarah started to scream at the top of her lungs. She wouldn't stop. I sat upright and started yelling at her to calm down (which in retrospect is like spanking a child to get them to stop crying). At that moment, Sue knew that I was OK. We both managed to get up and Sue and Sarah headed for the church door while I spent the next few minutes standing the parking lot warning everyone else about the black ice that was hiding beneath the snow.

After the church service, one of our members who is a paramedic gave me a cursory check to make sure that I hadn't seriously hurt myself. She thought that I seemed no worse for the wear, but that I should take lots of Advil today for the aches and pains that are certain to show up tomorrow morning.

I feel truly blessed that neither Sarah nor I were seriously hurt today. And that nobody else fell in our parking lot. By the time church was over, the sun had managed to melt the patches of ice that had been a problem only a couple hours earlier. I went out and kicked the hunk of clay that I smacked my head on and it was still as hard as a rock. Good think I didn't break my toe. :)

FYI - The guy that the church pays to plow our lot has been unable to get any salt to spread on our parking lot for the past couple of weeks. It seems like this winter has caught everyone by surprise. I am now officially SICK AND TIRED of winter.

Oh no, John. Thank God you and Sarah are okay. Take it easy for today, and hopefully you'll be okay and up on your feet tomorrow.

Hope everything is working properly tomorrow John...
Glad you and Sarah are okay..:)

Thankfully you are both okay. Hope the rest does you well today. I have whacked my head twice like that in the past, with similar footing conditions. I know that blank stare.

Take care, and DIS a bit today. :sunny:

I'm sorry that you fell. I hope you will be fine.

Sorry that you and Sarah both fell today. Glad to hear that you both seem fine. I hope that a day of relaxation will do you good and that tomorrow you won't be in too much pain.

I would like it to be known that I am in awe of your stoic nature - to continue on to church after that - WOW.

Oh, and I hope you feel better. ;)

I would make sure and move around some today. You don't want it to get too stiff. :)

John I am so sorry to hear this:( I hope you are not injured too badly. feel better soon.

Ouch! I'm glad you and Sarah are okay. Keep that bottle of Advil close by the next couple days!

John, I did the same thing a few weeks ago while at work. :eek: I was quite sore the next day, so try and take it as easy as you can on Monday. It took me a few days to really get over the effects of the fall. Will be saying a prayer for you!!!

JohnTBap - I had to go to church. Part of my "job" there is to audio tape the service for those who can't make it to worship on Sunday. And the choir was counting on me to be there to sing at the 10:30 service.

Perhaps I was also there in keep someone else from slipping and falling and bruising more than their pride. The funny thing is that, just before I fell, I was thinking that I should help Sarah across the parking lot because I NEVER fall on the ice. What's that saying about pride and falling???

Thanks all for your kind words and prayers.

Man John!! That hurt just to read!!! :( :( :(

Thank goodness you and your daughter didn't get hurt any worse, and I hope you're not as sore tomorrow as you're expecting. . . :) :) :)

Hope you aren't sore tomorrow!! :)

This has been a crazy year with people slipping and falling on ice.
I, too, can't wait for Spring!!!!:) :)

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!
Glad you and Sarah weren't seriously hurt. It sure has been a long tough winter!
Maybe in June we can get together at WDW and have a toast to heat and humidity ? Kungaloosh!! :teeth:

Sorry you fell......hope you feel better.

Hugs buddy...hope that tomorrow you will not be sore all over. Try and soak in a tub tonight. Hope Sarah is ok too....Big hugs to both of you :(

Been there, Done that! I walk our dog throughout the winter and I fall at least once a year. Glad you are OK John.

Yikes John! I'm glad the two of you are okay and that no one else was hurt. :)

I've like Big V. I walk my dog and usually fall once in the autumn on the wet grass and once in the winter on the ice. I'm still getting over the fall I had on the ice about 2 weeks ago. :o :rolleyes:

Take that Aleve John, and put your feet up! I hope you feel better real soon! :)

Glad you are both ok....same thing happened to us last night in our area. It rained and was quite warm all day. We ended up at Farmer Jacks later to shop. When we got out about 8pm, everything was like a skating rink. I was really paranoid that the kids were going to fall and break something. We made it home, and our driveway was also a sheet of ice (BTW...had a heck of a time opening our car doors too).

We (DH and I) were unloading the groceries and on the 2nd to the last trip to the car...I lost it and fell!! I kinda caught myself with my hand and landed partially on my hip....but that was the first time in a long time that I remember falling on ice. I feel ok today though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter