Idalia

My mom is in a trailer park in the Tampa area - and even though it is not in an evacuation zone at all she has moved to a friend's home which happens to be on the edge of zones C and D. I know the high winds are a big concern, but moving from an area not even in the A-E zoning into the C/D area makes me more nervous.
I was watching a Tampa tv station this morning, and they were actually recommending moves like that, from zone A and B to zone C and D. I think they have calculated the worst case scenario for storm surge (probably in the case of a direct hit as opposed to the forecasted glancing blow) and feel they won’t be calling for an evacuation of zones C and D. Even the reporters were saying they would be riding out the storm in a zone C location.

Every news broadcast I have seen the last two days says this storm will have big wind issues, not big rain issues like Ian and Nicole. I am glad your mom was able to get out of her trailer and into a more substantial structure. Trailers are no place to be in the wind.

NHC now predicts a peak intensity of 125 mph for Idalia. 130 mph would be a category 4.

5 am advisory…. Cat 4, 130mph winds and 12-16 ft storm surge. I hope everyone got out of the landfall area as this is a catastrophic storm.

DDIL was a catastrophe modeler. She said models are much better at predicting path than at predicting intensity. I rode out Michael from 75 miles away. In retrospect, I’m getting away from any hurricane headed my direction. People, it’s only stuff. Get you and your pets out of harms way.

Mom still has power, but I know there is water surging down the street as I found a working webcam in the area. Fingers crossed she gets to keep her power (CPAP user) or can get out of the area before night if she does lose power.

Mom still has power, but I know there is water surging down the street as I found a working webcam in the area. Fingers crossed she gets to keep her power (CPAP user) or can get out of the area before night if she does lose power.
Hope she stays safe. Where does your Mom live?

DDIL was a catastrophe modeler. She said models are much better at predicting path than at predicting intensity.

That's really interesting about the modeling. I was actually just reading an article yesterday that there are some new modeling tools in development where they are trying to get better predictions about the rapid intensification that some storms go through - apparently it's getting much more common for storms to rapidly intensify, and without a lot of historical data on that phenomenon, it's much harder to predict.

That area looks to have lucked out. Had this one hit that area it would have been devastating. In looking at the satellite, the area where it will make landfall looks to be fairly sparsely populated, for Florida anyway. But that cedar key will be wiped out.

We've been to Cedar Key a few times, right on that pier / fishing area they show. Great seafood - they are a big clam producing area, we did a kayak trip in the marsh area, and a boat trip out to a sandbar in the middle of the water. I hope it won't be wiped out. But yeah, doesn't look good.

I hope everyone is okay. It looks like it’s going to make landfall near my beloved Steinhatchee. I’ve made lots of scalloping trips there over the years. Nearby Cedar Key is also a special place to me. There are great people in the Big Bend, and I pray for their safety and comfort.

I’m more worried about folks in South Georgia. This storm is going to plow well inland as a hurricane. Those of us close to the coast are used to these storms, and know how to prepare. Hopefully, people inland are also tracking the storm and will be safe.

We've been to Cedar Key a few times, right on that pier / fishing area they show. Great seafood - they are a big clam producing area, we did a kayak trip in the marsh area, and a boat trip out to a sandbar in the middle of the water. I hope it won't be wiped out. But yeah, doesn't look good.
I used to fly into Cedar Key from the Tallahassee area fairly frequently. We would buzz the town before landing, and a lady would meet us at the plane and bring us to her family’s restaurant. After a nice meal, it was a great place to walk around.

The meteorologist I follow on twitter said that the late eye wall replacement cycle might drop wind speed slightly, bt make surge worse....in that area could hit 20 ft. Just devastating stuff. 6 ft already...and streaming in.

Officially made landfall at 7:45 am near Keaton Beach, FL, as a strong category 3 hurricane.

We evacuated to Disney, but the water levels at home are high and rising. High tide at 2pm will be devastating for many. Our street is flooded and has never flooded since it was built in 1965. Friends are out in kayaks checking on things. Thankfully, most/all should be property losses and not people or pets.

We had to extend our stay since the roads aren't passable. Hoping the water stays in the yard and not in the house.

We evacuated to Disney, but the water levels at home are high and rising. High tide at 2pm will be devastating for many. Our street is flooded and has never flooded since it was built in 1965. Friends are out in kayaks checking on things. Thankfully, most/all should be property losses and not people or pets.

We had to extend our stay since the roads aren't passable. Hoping the water stays in the yard and not in the house.

Is WDW operating enough so you can get meals and all? They probably have generators too, great idea to go there if it is operating well enough.

Is WDW operating enough so you can get meals and all? They probably have generators too, great idea to go there if it is operating well enough.

Oh yeah, WDW is pretty much open for business. They cleared out the campgrounds and I think the water park and mini-golf places are closed, but the parks are operating. There is food at the resorts, etc. They usually weather the storms quite well and only close if they have to.

It is a normal, occasionally rainy day here. Absolutely no impact. We are at MK right now.

If you didn't know we were getting remnants of a hurricane, you'd assume it was a typical summer storm day.

(We have ridden out other hurricanes that did affect Orlando and Disney changed operations but have not had to this year, minus relocating some campers and closing water park/mini golf.)

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter