If RCID is dissolved, what happens with DVC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

I have been wondering this too. I don’t know how I’d feel if I was a legislator in either county, but my first step would be to work and compromise as much as possible. Literally have plan A through Z being started right now (I’d also be checking on what else in my county would be affected by the pre 1968-while I know many aren’t big deals according to things I’ve read, there are still a few that would make me want to fight tooth and nail to preserve and do what I can)

And, some of what I have read, seem to indicate that a new special district application is a possibility with more coordination between the parties.

Reedy Creek currently taxes Disney $105 million a year, Orange County just has to find a way raise that revenue.

See this is what seems odd to me. Why wouldn't Orange county simply then tax Disney the same $105 Million each year? I mean they would become the new (same exact) provider of those services to WDW.

If not-why wouldn't Disney love this new "free" service saving $105 Million every year?

See this is what seems odd to me. Why wouldn't Orange county simply then tax Disney the same $105 Million each year? I mean they would become the new (same exact) provider of those services to WDW.

If not-why wouldn't Disney love this new "free" service saving $105 Million every year?
Because County can't just single out Disney, and it's not that simple.

Disney needs to be taxed at same rate as any other entity in the same classification. The taxable value of Disney would have to be reassessed once RCID is no more, and the last time the County Assessor tried to apply new and unique criteria to Disney, it lost in court. (Not exactly apples to apples, but property taxes are complicated and disputes often end up in court).

Because County can't just single out Disney, and it's not that simple.

Disney needs to be taxed at same rate as any other entity in the same classification. The taxable value of Disney would have to be reassessed once RCID is no more, and the last time the County Assessor tried to apply new and unique criteria to Disney, it lost in court. (Not exactly apples to apples, but property taxes are complicated and disputes often end up in court).

Single out Disney? Meaning those services should now become free?

I'm not sure "it's too hard to figure out so let's just not charge Disney anything" would/should fly.

And again-then why wouldn't Disney love this new free service?

Certainly Disney World is "worth" something, to create a tax burden related to all the services Reedy Creek provides for $105 Million.

And what about assessments? Those happen all the time.

Last edited:
Property taxes are based on the "mill rate" and the assessed value of the property. Disney is already paying property taxes to Orange County based on its assessed value. It pays the same mill rate as all of the other entities within the same classification as Disney. I do nor know what that mill rate is or how many other businesses are included in the same classification.

Your County can't decide to charge you a higher rate for your home than it does for your neighbors home (both classified as same type of residential). It must also use the same criteria when assessing your taxable value as it uses to assess the taxable value of your neighbor's home ( such as number of bathrooms and bedrooms, etc.).

Property taxes are not simple.

Property taxes are based on the "mill rate" and the assessed value of the property. Disney is already paying property taxes to Orange County based on its assessed value. It pays the same mill rate as all of the other entities within the same classification as Disney. I do nor know what that mill rate is or how many other businesses are included in the same classification.

Your County can't decide to charge you a higher rate for your home than it does for your neighbors home (both classified as same type of residential). It must also use the same criteria when assessing your taxable value as it uses to assess the taxable value of your neighbor's home ( such as number of bathrooms and bedrooms, etc.).

Property taxes are not simple.

That makes sense.

If Orange County is currently charging WDW for all of those services through taxation, then they should be on the hook to provide them.

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I certainly expect WDW to love this new arrangement, esp saving $105 Million.

I had a friend ask me if I thought Disney would pull out of Florida. Any thoughts on that? I personally don't think that would be a financially good move as Disney has spent sooo much over the last years building, changing and adding but...

If yes, where would that leave us DVC members?

I would assume so, since he called the special session for the sole purpose of passing this.
I believe the special session had been called for the purpose of redrawing voting districts. This bill was added in at the 11th hour.

I had a friend ask me if I thought Disney would pull out of Florida. Any thoughts on that? I personally don't think that would be a financially good move as Disney has spent sooo much over the last years building, changing and adding but...

I don't think there's much of a chance that will happen. It's kind of hard to move castles and geodesic spheres.

With a timeshare with zero value that you still owe dues on.

See? There's the play the legislature bet on. Disney CAN'T 'pull out' and everybody knows it. Even Disney.

No, there's no abandoning Cinderella's Castle. But future projects/investments may be reconsidered.

All is not lost, there may be compromise in the next year before RCID expires. I have hope, in the end, FL needs Disney as much as the other way around and there should be a lot of common ground found once heads cool off.

That makes sense.

If Orange County is currently charging WDW for all of those services through taxation, then they should be on the hook to provide them.

Thanks for the clarification.

Now I certainly expect WDW to love this new arrangement, esp saving $105 Million.
The piece is that once Orange County has to absorb all of those costs, technically, their expenses will go up and that could, in turn, raise the rate that each resident is charged. So, it is possible that everyone sees a change if no new type of agreement is made.

What they can't do though is to just charge DIsney...it has to be spread to everyone...now, it is not...RCID and Disney are the only players.

The piece is that once Orange County has to absorb all of those costs, technically, their expenses will go up and that could, in turn, raise the rate that each resident is charged. So, it is possible that everyone sees a change if no new type of agreement is made.

What they can't do though is to just charge DIsney...it has to be spread to everyone...now, it is not...RCID and Disney are the only players.
See, I'm not sure that this is entirely accurate. It could be, but it doesn't "feel" as if that is the whole story. States, Counties, and Municipalities create special tax environments, zones, and incentives for businesses all the time, so in theory, that can work both ways. I don't think it is a forgone conclusion that any increased debts or operating expenses will automatically be borne by all taxpayers within the counties.

Got it. It appears Orange County has been charging for these services through taxation for 50 years and not spending a dime on them.

So excellent news for WDW, going forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter