• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

if they stop all pooling inc. just adult credits

pinchy

Mouseketeer
with all this talk of stopping pooling of DP credits I'm worried they might stop pooling altogether

we are a party of 5 adults but the way our plans have been made we will sometimes be 2 separate groups with different meal plans.... one group will end up using more TS credits and the other more CS credits

if all pooling stops our ADRs will be messed up :confused3

I dont see the point of WDW doing that, even though the could if they chose to. I can understand them wanting to take away the option of people using C credits to order A CS meals, or even worse, using their C credits at a TS for adult meals. I dont blame anyone for taking advantage of that oppritunity while they can, but I wouldnt be surprised to see an end put to that.But what good would it do WDW to seperate the credits per person? It doesnt make sense, and I would not be pleased at all, esp since we will split many CS meals and even a couple of TS. There will be no cause to suspect me of trying to take advantage, as there will be 3 A on my DDp.But, I was taught that advantages were made to be taken. Anyone who paid rack rate for a room, to get the DDp free, or not, shouldnt feel bad about enjoying their benefits in whatever way that they can. As long as no one gets hurt (no stealing a baby's Mickey BAr, or knocking over grandma to get to the front of the line for Soarin!) :teeth:

I doubt Disney really would want to stop guests from separating and yet still using the Dining Plan. The only reason they'd do that, I suspect, is if it were the only way to prevent a significant number of guests from executing some unintended exploit of Dining Plan. Personally, I feel that there are ways to address all the exploits without resorting to doing away with pooling altogether, but it could happen despite that.

I think the only reason to stop pooling is if Disney sees the need to separate child and adult credits and the computer people say they separating credits into adult and child is too difficult. Stopping pooling may be easier than creating child TS credits and adult TS credits.

A few posters have already said they're entitled to use "child" credits to purchase adult meals notwithstanding the new page in the brochure. If too many guests share that opinion, it's OK unless Disney has a method of enforcing the rules, then Disney may have to change the computer system.

I don't see how stopping pooling would be so hard. Every guest would have their own card and then every guest would have a separate check at TS. Every CS would have to be rung up separatly. Okay I think I see why it would be a problem. LOL!

Not only that, but the whole point is that the child meal entitlements would now be on the child key cards, which generally aren't given charging privileges because they're prone to (ahem) loss. Could you imagine the scene at a restaurant after a meal if a child forgot or lost their key card.

If adult & child credits are separated for CS purposes, how would they charge your credits at places that do not offer a child's menu? For example, at Pizza Planet in MGM, or Casey's in MK, there is not a separate menu for kids. We usually get 2 CS meals to split between 2A/2C. Would I be able to tell them how to charge them? Unless Disney creates a kids' menu for every CS restaurant, I believe that separating CS credits will be a lot more complicated than separating TS credits.

We'll be using the DDP for the first time in October. I've planned my TS using credits for 2A/2C each meal. But, I'll admit, the CS issue has me stumped. We'll probably try to balance CS that have a decent kids' menu (such as Cosmic Rays) and places that don't distinguish between adult & children, as mentioned above. I know I'll be flamed that it's not Disney's fault that my kids won't eat Uncrustables or "chilled chicken", but, come on, those options just sound gross! Honestly, would you eat at a CS restaurant that offers a great variety in kids' meals, but only two, off the wall, gross sounding options for adults?! I really doubt it.

I try not to get involved in the DDP debate. If the credits are pooled when we go, we will use them as we best see fit to feed our family, not to "get the most" out of the plan. If credits are separated, we'll do the same. I would just like to see more variety for kids at all counter service options, not just one or two per park.

Just my two cents worth.

bamagirl@hrt said:
Unless Disney creates a kids' menu for every CS restaurant, I believe that separating CS credits will be a lot more complicated than separating TS credits.

Doesn't every CS have a kids meal available?

bamagirl@hrt said:
If adult & child credits are separated for CS purposes, how would they charge your credits at places that do not offer a child's menu? For example, at Pizza Planet in MGM, or Casey's in MK, there is not a separate menu for kids. We usually get 2 CS meals to split between 2A/2C. Would I be able to tell them how to charge them? Unless Disney creates a kids' menu for every CS restaurant, I believe that separating CS credits will be a lot more complicated than separating TS credits.

I didn't know that there were CS places that didn't have kids menus. That would present a whole other issue with separating credits. Out of curiosity what CS places don't have kids meals

bicker said:
Not only that, but the whole point is that the child meal entitlements would now be on the child key cards, which generally aren't given charging privileges because they're prone to (ahem) loss. Could you imagine the scene at a restaurant after a meal if a child forgot or lost their key card.

DVC members, like yourself, are the exception to the rule. MYW Dining generally requires a guest purchase park tickets. Although some DISBOARD members may be buying a one day base tickets I suspect most guests buy a pass for their entire stay. The situation you describe is no different than a child who forgets or loses their key card and can't enter a theme park or get a fast pass, if the card is lost after they enter the park.

My guess is the parents would just keep the cards. I guess the restaurant would have to have the ability to call or enter a code to debit the account of a guest who didn't have a card. Worse case the parents would have to charge the meal to the room and have it reversed at their resort.

I think we'd agree separating child and adult credits would be the better solution to greedy guests.

The question is from a computer programming issue is it easier to create new meal categories or is it easier to just end pooling.

Pedler said:
I didn't know that there were CS places that didn't have kids menus. That would present a whole other issue with separating credits. Out of curiosity what CS places don't have kids meals

Read the post you quoted in the above reply. Earl of Sandwich may be another example.

The kids cards are linked to the dinning without charging priviledges. We had 13 and 14 yo's go off on their own and could get their meals but were not allowed to charge. :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

The Sweetness said:
I dont see the point of WDW doing that, even though the could if they chose to. I can understand them wanting to take away the option of people using C credits to order A CS meals, or even worse, using their C credits at a TS for adult meals. I dont blame anyone for taking advantage of that oppritunity while they can, but I wouldnt be surprised to see an end put to that.But what good would it do WDW to seperate the credits per person? It doesnt make sense, and I would not be pleased at all, esp since we will split many CS meals and even a couple of TS. There will be no cause to suspect me of trying to take advantage, as there will be 3 A on my DDp.But, I was taught that advantages were made to be taken. Anyone who paid rack rate for a room, to get the DDp free, or not, shouldnt feel bad about enjoying their benefits in whatever way that they can. As long as no one gets hurt (no stealing a baby's Mickey BAr, or knocking over grandma to get to the front of the line for Soarin!) :teeth:

What does paying rack rate have to do with any of it? That does not give anyone the permission to take something they did not pay for. The meal plan is now very explicit in what is offered and what is not. And what is Not offered is the purchase of adult meals with child entitlements. People who who purchase the plan agree to all it's restrictions.

No one has to purchase the plan and pay the rack rate. They have the option to not purchase it and use a room discount if they can find one and pay OOP for their meals. For some this might be a better deal.

You have stated you will not be pleased if they seperate the credits per person but if people continue to take advantage of the situation that might be exactly what happens.

Lewisc said:
Read the post you quoted in the above reply. Earl of Sandwich may be another example.

EOS
KIDS' MENU
$3.95

Peanut Butter and Jelly
Grilled Cheese
Turkey Swiss
Pizza Sandwich

EOS is actually probably pretty good from what I've read but using kids CS credit for breakfast might work for people that don't like CS lunch selections. CS breakfast is cheaper but its hard to mess up a pancake or waffle. You can order an adult lunch, presumably higher quality or better selection than kids meal, OOP. When the CS kids meals don't appeal to my kids I've often found there was something on the adult menu they could split and that was cheaper than 2 kiddie CS meals anyway.

Sammie said:
What does paying rack rate have to do with any of it? That does not give anyone the permission to take something they did not pay for. The meal plan is now very explicit in what is offered and what is not. And what is Not offered is the purchase of adult meals with child entitlements. People who who purchase the plan agree to all it's restrictions.

No one has to purchase the plan and pay the rack rate. They have the option to not purchase it and use a room discount if they can find one and pay OOP for their meals. For some this might be a better deal.

You have stated you will not be pleased if they seperate the credits per person but if people continue to take advantage of the situation that might be exactly what happens.

I was just looking at things from my own perspective, as strange as it may be. The way that I see it, is that advantages are made to be taken, and I think the people who are in charge of the DDP are smart enough to know what ppl are doing w their credits. They can seperate credits, if they want to, so that an adults meal cant be paid for w a childs credit. It wouldnt be nec. to stop ppl from sharing, or from treating anyone they choose. I will only have adults on my DDp, so sharing really shouldnt concern anyone as far as *cheating * goes. I just cant help but to think that if people can find a way to make their vacation $ go further, w/o hurting anyone (and I don't believe for a moment that WDW would allow this credit pooling if it was hurting them) then I think they should.

Companies regularly rely on the integrity of their customers rather than draconian enforcement. In some cases, they allow a certain amount of cheating to go on, because it is less costly than policing the system better, even though that is patently unfair to their honest customers. When enforcement is applied, it sometimes results in inconvenience to those honest customers, in addition to accomplishing its intent. In some cases, companies curtail or terminate services, rather than apply enforcement. There is a thread on the board that lists a number of services that Disney has curtailed or terminated, almost assuredly because of how they were abused by a small number of guests.

My town administers Presidential elections in the high school. To vote, you need to tell them the name and address of a registered voter, and write the name down in cursive in a book. Does that mean you feel that you should feel entitled to vote for as many of your neighbors as you know aren't planning on voting -- that the election officials should be "smart enough" to put stronger identification measures in place? Of course not. It is reasonable to expect people to comply with the voting laws.

The Sweetness said:
............I just cant help but to think that if people can find a way to make their vacation $ go further, w/o hurting anyone (and I don't believe for a moment that WDW would allow this credit pooling if it was hurting them) then I think they should.

Guests have found loopholes and taken advantage of Disney in other areas such as parking at the Contemporary and walking to the MK, sharing park entry tickets, pool hopping, abusing the use of refillable mugs.

That is why now we have 3 hour parking passes for dining at other resorts,
finger scanning to get in parks (no ticket sharing)
Wrist bands for SAB
Wrist bands for EMH, MNSSHP, and MVMCP
Barcodes for TL and BB mugs

How soon before the LOS Barcodes for resort refillable mugs?
If the refill mug abuses continue it may be a lot sooner than we want.

How soon before children's credits and adult are either separated on the DDP or the Disney does away with the program all together?

The more abuse that happens the more likely this program will stop or changes will be made that inconvenience everyone even the guests who were following the rules.

Disney has already made a new policy during the FDP that all guests must be present at check in or the DDP will be modified.
This will inconvenience a lot guests whose party may have different flight or may be arriving for only part of the stay.

I think other changes are coming because the "creative" use of credit pooling is hurting Disney. Paying $7 OOP for a child's meal and using the child's credit to buy a $50 adult meal has to hurt Disney's profit margarine---no question about it.

3DisneyBuggs said:
I don't see how stopping pooling would be so hard. Every guest would have their own card and then every guest would have a separate check at TS. Every CS would have to be rung up separatly. Okay I think I see why it would be a problem. LOL!

Lol - I thought the same thing - but WOW that would be TIME CONSUMING :rotfl:

minnie61650 said:
That is why now we have 3 hour parking passes for dining at other resorts,
finger scanning to get in parks (no ticket sharing)
Wrist bands for SAB
Wrist bands for EMH, MNSSHP, and MVMCP
Barcodes for TL and BB mugs

How soon before the LOS Barcodes for resort refillable mugs?
If the refill mug abuses continue it may be a lot sooner than we want.

How soon before children's credits and adult are either separated on the DDP or the Disney does away with the program all together?

The more abuse that happens the more likely this program will stop or changes will be made that inconvenience everyone even the guests who were following the rules.

I have no problem at all with any of those issues. I think Disney SHOULD seperate C from A credits, but for some reason they havent. As far as I am concerned, until they do, ppl should continue to take advantage of that benefit of the DDP, if they want to.

If the DDP is cancelled completely, WDW will see less of my $$. I may not stay onsite, and would surely not eat breakfast onsite. Maybe not dinner either. I would likely only do 2TS the entire trip, instead of 8.I am sure I will be ordering at least a drink and possibly a childs meal for my DD2 to pay for OOP at every meal that isnt AYCE

WDW will get more $ out of me both for the plan, and OOP (extra meal not covered by CS, extra drinks or snacks etc) for the resort $121 p/night (I could get a room for $50 inc a buffet breakfast), and I wont go offsite for the entire 9 days. Thats alot of food, water ice cream etc...popcorn::

As far as the mugs go, WDW would be foolish to stop offering them. I will buy2, and my fam of 4 will share them for the 9 days. Then we will take them home. Done deal. I am sure that anything that WDW doesnt think is making them a proffit will be cut.
:wave2:

The Sweetness said:
I have no problem at all with any of those issues. I think Disney SHOULD seperate C from A credits, but for some reason they havent. As far as I am concerned, until they do, ppl should continue to take advantage of that benefit of the DDP, if they want to.

:

You may be choosing to use a meal credit in a means that is explicitly against the rules in order to save money.
Regardless whether or not the credits remain pooled, it is still breaking the rules as published in their brochure.
Justify it any way you want. It doesn't change what is written and what is right.
If the dinning plan doesn't work for you then don't get it. No one is forced to take the dinning plan.

Just my 2 cents

Peace :hippie:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter