If you focus on what you left behind, you will never be able to see what lies ahead

P.S. LOVE the pics as well! How did you get so many when all I've been reading is how others got one or none cuz the lines were too long, or closed?
Thanks for joining in!! I love your story and hope my kids will want to run with me when they get older. It makes me happy to know I can encourage others with my journey. :D As far as the pictures, we drove to the start area before the buses started running so we had the characters pretty much to ourselves. We got the best of both worlds because at the end we took the bus back to AKL, instead of Epcot, we napped and packed and then took the bus to Epcot to get the car. I know I'm a genius :rotfl:

Thanks for joining in!! I love your story and hope my kids will want to run with me when they get older. It makes me happy to know I can encourage others with my journey. :D As far as the pictures, we drove to the start area before the buses started running so we had the characters pretty much to ourselves. We got the best of both worlds because at the end we took the bus back to AKL, instead of Epcot, we napped and packed and then took the bus to Epcot to get the car. I know I'm a genius :rotfl:
Ya you are!

It's official I'm Goofy!!:goofy:
45 minutes before registration opened yesterday I asked DH if He thought I could do Goofy instead of just the marathon. He told me to go for it and that he would do the half with me. So I took the plunge and signed up for GOOFY! I spend all night analyzing training plans. So I think I'm going to go with the Hal Higdon Dopey plan. I might take out the couple of Friday runs that it has but other than that it will fit nicely with my other races. The official start will be the first week in September but the first week has a long run of 13 miles so I will be alternating long runs in the summer of 6,8 & 10 miles. Feedback is welcome on my plan :)

I'm recovering nicely from Sunday. I was surprised at how quickly the soreness went away. This week I'm taking it easy and just walking in the mornings. I think I will do a 8 mile run this Saturday and then do some shorter runs next week. Thanks to everyone on the running thread for the advice on resting and mileage between races!

You go! I know I can do three easy, but 13 miles at the end of the first week training? Not me! I'm working back up to just the six that we did waaaaayyy back in February! Did you have any freezing, crashing, or que hold when signing up. >:( I think that is the most stressful and challenging of any part of the races. That alone is worth a couple miles of running in my book. :-)

It's official I'm Goofy!!:goofy:
45 minutes before registration opened yesterday I asked DH if He thought I could do Goofy instead of just the marathon. He told me to go for it and that he would do the half with me. So I took the plunge and signed up for GOOFY! I spend all night analyzing training plans. So I think I'm going to go with the Hal Higdon Dopey plan. I might take out the couple of Friday runs that it has but other than that it will fit nicely with my other races. The official start will be the first week in September but the first week has a long run of 13 miles so I will be alternating long runs in the summer of 6,8 & 10 miles. Feedback is welcome on my plan :)

I'm recovering nicely from Sunday. I was surprised at how quickly the soreness went away. This week I'm taking it easy and just walking in the mornings. I think I will do a 8 mile run this Saturday and then do some shorter runs next week. Thanks to everyone on the running thread for the advice on resting and mileage between races!
Yay!! You can totally do it, and I think you will love it!

So I am also registered for Goofy - also using a Higdon plan, also starting in September (I'm guessing same timeline as you) but I'm using his Novice 1 Marathon plan (I think). I have used that one in the past for Goofy and it has worked well for me. I have heard that people have used his Intermediate 2 plan for Goofy but that is way too much mileage for me. I have heard that people have used the Dopey plan and liked it, felt really prepared for race weekend as a result. If I wasn't using Novice 1 or Novice 2 I'd probably use that one.

My only feedback would be to find something that is non-running that you enjoy for cross training - yoga, strength training, swimming, whatever. It'll help you stay healthy. :)

Please everyone forgive, for the three or so runDisney races I've done, I've never had to enter a POT. Mainly because I didn't have one for the 10k as it was DS and my first ever. Obviously having one now I would go ahead and pop it in there when registering in August, but my question is: If I run and receive and better time in the meanwhile how do I update that POT or can I? I've been reading on the boards that other runners have done so, but it was never explained how to, and that they were experiencing problems and taking screen shots for proof at pick-up(I think at pick-up). I was also wondering if the time would be acceptable from any chip timed running event or only certain organization timed events? Sorry for the craziness now, but DS did the 10k in an hour placing him several corrals ahead of me based on this years corral assignments that I've seen. I don't want him moving back for me, so I figure if I can work on running faster and getting a better time to enter there's a better chance we'll be closer if not together next year.

Please everyone forgive, for the three or so runDisney races I've done, I've never had to enter a POT. Mainly because I didn't have one for the 10k as it was DS and my first ever. Obviously having one now I would go ahead and pop it in there when registering in August, but my question is: If I run and receive and better time in the meanwhile how do I update that POT or can I? I've been reading on the boards that other runners have done so, but it was never explained how to, and that they were experiencing problems and taking screen shots for proof at pick-up(I think at pick-up). I was also wondering if the time would be acceptable from any chip timed running event or only certain organization timed events? Sorry for the craziness now, but DS did the 10k in an hour placing him several corrals ahead of me based on this years corral assignments that I've seen. I don't want him moving back for me, so I figure if I can work on running faster and getting a better time to enter there's a better chance we'll be closer if not together next year.
Which race are you signed up for?

All of them have dates you need to keep in mind (the race you are entering must be after a certain date, and there is a "due date" to submit your time - check the Registration tab on runDisney.com for your race). After that you just log into your Active.com account, find your event and click "Edit My Registration" and enter in your new info. And screenshot it in case something looks wonky when the bibs come out so you have proof that you entered it.

@Ariel484 Thank you! DS and I are planning on trying to register for Star Wars next year and registration is in August. I'm just Type A, and want to have my ducks in a row before then as I know from past registrations how that day can be stressful when things go awry. I read your answer and then went onto runDisney and found a run I "wanted" to register for. I found the area to place a POT as well as the information regarding special dates that you spoke of. I feel better now that I have a better grasp of what to do. My only issue is that I'm not that computer savy and the POT area asks for the URL for the race I'm entering a POT from. Can I cut and paste that (minimizing the runDisney registration) without losing my registration thus far? I also don't know how to screenshot. Any help there too?

@MyFavEeyore Yep, I think so on the cutting and pasting - that's what I did.

As for screen-shotting, depends on what kind of computer you have or if you're doing it from your phone, so you'll have to Google that. :)
EDIT: Or print it out and bring a hard copy in case you think you need to go to Runner Relations at the expo and have them correct something.

No worries on the questions! I am glad your so proactive, there are so many people out there that don't care and then whine and moan they are in the last corral :confused3

As for your question about problems when registering, the last 2 races I have signed up for they did a virtual waiting room with a little man that walks across your screen. So it puts you in a line and when the man is done walking it's your turn. It seems to work much better than having to refresh etc.

As for your question about problems when registering, the last 2 races I have signed up for they did a virtual waiting room with a little man that walks across your screen. So it puts you in a line and when the man is done walking it's your turn. It seems to work much better than having to refresh etc.
Sorry for the thread hijack up there! :teeth: I SO agree with you about the little walking man - I liked that once it was my turn I could take my time (within the 15-minute window) to get all of my info squared away.

You both have no idea what it means to me to tell me about all these little nuances.:worship: I would probably freak out about what's happening as I've mentioned I'm not technology adept. I STILL hand my new cell phone (about once every 3/4 years) to my DS (as he has to force me to go and get an updated phone) and tell him to make it work like I had the old one I was used to. :sad2:
Now, how is everyone, especially our thread starter doing with workouts. I've confessed I need to get back to the gym. I probably need a little guilt trip here people. How 'bout @MommaoffherRocker, how are you doing? I def want to hear about progress your making!

Sorry for the thread hijack up there! :teeth: I SO agree with you about the little walking man - I liked that once it was my turn I could take my time (within the 15-minute window) to get all of my info squared away.
Ha ha ha You answer questions way better than I do! I was just thinking Disney or the Dis needs to pay you for all your work :P Quick question about your training (if anyone else has a thought please feel free to chime in) when you have trained for Marathons in the past do you feel maxing out at 20 miles before hand is enough? 6 extra miles on race day seems like a big jump to me right now.

Not having a computer this week is really throwing me off my Disboards game!

As for progress, this week is slow going. I was debating if I should run tonight or if it is too soon after the half. All of my soreness is gone so I'm thinking I will. Saturday I am definitely going out for a 8 miler.

@MyFavEeyore I agree sign up for some local race for motivation, and I will be sure to ask you how your trainings are going that should help too. I know when I have to be accountable to someone I try harder (one of the reasons I started this journal so you guys can keep me in check)

Hoping for the same accountability! I did sign up for a 5k Color Run in June with my DD and her BF, and already had a schedule 5k mud, obstacle course run in July with DS that we've done every year for four years now. He's coming up from Florida to do it and bringing along two of his friends who have decided to give it a go. I really need to get at those weights.
@momma - I've found that doing a light run actually worked out soreness, and since you've actually gotten over the soreness, go for it! Nice and easy though.

Ha ha ha You answer questions way better than I do! I was just thinking Disney or the Dis needs to pay you for all your work :P
I would be more than okay with that!!!! :teeth:
Quick question about your training (if anyone else has a thought please feel free to chime in) when you have trained for Marathons in the past do you feel maxing out at 20 miles before hand is enough? 6 extra miles on race day seems like a big jump to me right now.
YES - for my first marathon I actually maxed out at 18 miles (there was a blizzard or something the weekend of my scheduled 20-miler, so I never got it in). For the next 2 I maxed out at 20. I have read articles where coaches say that they feel that the increased risk of injury while training past 20 miles outweighs any benefits you would get. And I think if you pace your long runs correctly (slower than what you'd expect to do on race day), the time actually spent on your feet is close to what you'd expect for the marathon (since your race pace would ideally be faster), even if the distance is not the same. And yeah, an extra 10K is a big jump, but I think adrenaline and all that kick in and get you through. :)

I think people like Galloway's plans because he has you go up to 23-26 and some want that knowledge that they can do the full distance - most other plans have you max out at 20, some even say 16 as a max distance, so I'm good with 20.

So after I've digested everyone's suggestions and information from earlier today, I went back over to check out the registration for a half once more time. How would I get runDisney's URL address from February 2016's Princess run(s)? I just don't want to risk the time being unverified.

Quick question about your training (if anyone else has a thought please feel free to chime in) when you have trained for Marathons in the past do you feel maxing out at 20 miles before hand is enough? 6 extra miles on race day seems like a big jump to me right now.

I also haven't gone much over 20 in training for my marathons. I am a Galloway runner, so his plans do call to go to 26, but each of my training seasons have had some issues that prevented me from being able to go that far in training. My plan this year is to follow that training schedule more faithfully, but I've managed to complete 4 marathons without doing more than 21 max in a training run. I do think though that Galloway's schedule doesn't call for as many weekly miles as a lot of plans do and instead he loads up more on the long runs, so that's also something to consider. Total weekly mileage can do a lot to make up for not-quite-as-long long runs.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter