If You See It: Eat It! Via Panama to Disneyland - Completed and Link to New Trip Report 2/24

And then we headed over to Carsland – finally!

And this time I was allowed to look because we approached it from the back entrance:

DSC04578.jpg

DSC04579.jpg

First you are in the middle of a theme park and then you are in Radiator Springs. Entering this way they transformation is really spectacular!

The Cadillac Range is ahead and Radiator Springs Racers is to the right:

DSC04581.jpg

DSC04583.jpg

DSC04584.jpg

This is a first look at Flo’s Café:

DSC04585.jpg

And then a view back towards the rest of DCA, that’s the road I was not allowed to use for my first entry into Carsland:

DSC04587.jpg

Some more Carsland while we are heading into Radiator Springs Racers to ride it by way of the Single Rider Line.

DSC04588.jpg

Yes, the single rider line is a wonderful thing at DL and DCA! Here the ride had about a 75 minute wait, with the single rider line we never waited more than 30 minutes and that is fine for me for this ride. And often the bonus was that we ended up in cars that were racing each other in the racing part of the ride!

The line tells you the story of Radiator Springs.

DSC04589.jpg

DSC04590.jpg

DSC04591.jpg

DSC04592.jpg

And then we were about to be loaded onto the ride, only 4 people or so were in front of us when the ride broke down!! ARG!!

We had arranged to meet some friends of Michael (he used to live in the area and knows plenty of people there) in the early afternoon. At RSR they told us that it would be quite some while until they would power up the ride again, so we gave up on our wait and left…

Another picture of Flo’s:

DSC04595.jpg

There are restrooms in that area:

DSC04597.jpg

The Cozy Cone Motel was really cute:

DSC04596.jpg

DSC04602.jpg

DSC04603.jpg

They had some really cute flowers there:

DSC04594.jpg

We spent some time browsing the shops and Michael was amazed by these:

DSC04598.jpg

DSC04600.jpg

Makes me ponder if it wasn’t a good thing that Disney and JK Rowling were not able to make a deal and Harry Potter did not end up with Disney. Otherwise we would have Dumbledore/Yoda and Harry/Luke crossovers….

I liked these:

DSC04599.jpg

And at that time I had not seen Time Travel Mater. I have since seen that short, it is lovely!

And this was a really nice display of the cars not dressed up:

DSC04601.jpg

I took a picture of the entrance to the Tow Mater attraction on the way out:

DSC04605.jpg

It was Sunday, the line was really long, we knew we would be able to ride it another time!

And then we left Carsland through the entrance that I was not allowed to use to enter it on my first visit:

DSC04606.jpg

We then headed to the front of the park to meet Michael’s friends.

Up Next: My first Disney Starbucks!!

Ooops, Sorry! I got things mixed up! Up next: Ice Spheres

Carsland looks AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing all those pictures. I've been wanting to get back to DL ever since we left the first time, and now I REALLY want to go back. You are right DL would be easier than WDW with a toddler since everything is so close to each other. We just need to brave the 6 hour flight to get there.:scared1:

We got a much later start than we had wanted (we left Alamo at 11:20am) and quickly realised that our original plan to eat lunch once we arrived at Disneyland would not work. So we decided to stop along the way and chose this nice restaurant:

DSC04485.jpg

Where we both got some mini-tacos:

DSC04486.jpg

They were quite tasty and for me they were quite a novelty!

I forgot to comment on this post, but I thought it was very funny. We order these occasionally at Jack in the Box, and always have to refrain ourselves when placing the order. You see in our group of friends, we call them "The Two Cr@ppy Tacos". The thing is that they are actually the best Cr@ppy tacos around. Other fast food chains, don't do them nearly as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed our little slice of California! :rotfl2:

Michael was right bringing you in through the Pacific Wharf section. That's how we entered during the Preview days. Everything was blocked off so you couldn't see anything until they opened the gates. You could hear the guests gasp when they caught sight of the entrance. Truly stunning.

You captured a lot of the great details in Carsland with your pictures!

Carsland looks really amazing, but also the rest of the park looks lovely compared die HS in Paris! On the pictures the park looks crowded but not overly so. Not like some pictures I've seen from WDW. Did you try to avoid the crowds while taking pictures or was it bearable?

Makes me ponder if it wasn’t a good thing that Disney and JK Rowling were not able to make a deal and Harry Potter did not end up with Disney. Otherwise we would have Dumbledore/Yoda and Harry/Luke crossovers….

I don't know, although I'm not a fan of any crossovers, I think a Dumbledore/Yoda would work quite well!
But this made me think, as I'm just rereading the series (they just found out about Hagrids ancestry) and although I very much enjoyed our visit to the Wizarding World, reading the books doesn't provoke a desire to go back there. I mean, I would love to go there again and see the new extension and everything, but not more than before. I guess it's because I know it isn't the real thing... I'm mean, I've been to Scotland in the summer and I know how cold it is.... There's a reason why the drink warm Butterbeer.

Looking forward to (more) food pictures from Starbucks! Type away on your new keyboard!

BUT I have to admit that DCA in its current version is far improved over the version I saw in 2005!

I never saw the older version, so I think ignorance is bliss in this case!

Well, before I was put off by how complicated it is to get into a park, I tried to capture the grandeur of the lobby of the GCV:

This is a difficult hotel to take pictures off!

All that light streaming in combined with a dark interior makes it tough! What a beautiful place, though. I love this type of theme.

The main appeal for me was that they were serving the food in bread bowls made by the Boudin Bakery in the park, i.e. in San Francisco Sourdough bread. I love that type of bread!!

I have a theory that serving everything in a bread bowl would make it better.:thumbsup2

That scene totally creeps me out! I know that the clear plastic is supposed to be water, but to me it looks like the poor fish are being stabbed!

:scared1:

And this time I was allowed to look because we approached it from the back entrance:

First you are in the middle of a theme park and then you are in Radiator Springs. Entering this way they transformation is really spectacular!

Good idea to go in that way! It really is spectacular. Although I think the rest of Radiator Springs looks great, too. Amazing how it feels just like the movie.

And then we were about to be loaded onto the ride, only 4 people or so were in front of us when the ride broke down!! ARG!!

NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

They had some really cute flowers there:

Nice! I didn't have much time to notice details like that.

Love your pictures! Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to DL for a conference this summer in Anaheim... if work will pay for it. $500 just for the registration fee :faint: Thanks for sharing!!

What a great couple of updates!!

I only eat at J-in-the-B every couple of years, but I do like their tacos. Not a bad choice!

Yes, the HM at DLR is WAY better. A perfect setting for the spooky atmosphere they are trying to portray.

You really maximized your time well there, and yes, the track on the Matterhorn is rather jerky- has been as long as I can remember. Even when I was really young, like 8 years old, it gave me a headache every time I rode it.

Carsland is absolutely adorable!! I am stunned by the detail in it! So many visuals, and I can't WAIT to go back and visit it for the very first time!!!

No, we didn't get to visit nearly as much as I'd have liked either. My break was so, SO busy with family at our house coming and going that I just didn't have time to do much that was on my list for my time off. Alas, it's back to the grindstone, so to speak. I don't mind. I love what I"m studying, and have a wonderful bunch of ladies to learn with.

Ugh what a mess getting out of port! We had a similarily long experience at Cape Canaveral. NO fun waiting that long for transportation after how long it takes just to get off the ship.

I remembered your horrible experience at Port Canaveral. That's why I made sure that we took Disney transport after our Fantasy cruise (with two people that even made sense as we avoided having to pay for the car for one week and one day and just got the weekly rate). However, that was not perfect either...

I won't tell you what we call Jack in the Box here.

:rotfl:

It is with affection though, honestly around here it is possibly the best fast good. Not for burgers but for the fact they have options besides burgers and many of them are tasty. I don't take my kids to McDonalds but I do take them to Jack in the Box!

Now I am curious! But it is good to know that it is at least halfway acceptable. I liked the variety on the menu and it was convenient and a tasty snack!

How lovely to have a CM connection like that and a bonus park day? Outstanding!!!!

It was really great! And not just because of the free tickets, we had a lot of fun hanging out together!

I think they did a wonderful job on the BTMRR refurb, interesting to hear you like Paris the best. If I ever make it there I'll have to compare!

Paris has the advantage of the whole ride being on an island, so you need to go through a tunnel to get there and those dark elements are just really great! But I agree with you on the refurb. The new explosion scene is excellent!

As I was looking at the pictures and saw the shirts I wondered immediately if they were Pendleton. :goodvibes It's actually a really neat town, we went through there a number of years ago. Growing up to me it was just the place good flannel came from (that we couldn't afford but dreamed about lol) but it was neat to see a lot more of the why and how.

Thanks for this! I had never heard of this brand before, but I can see how much more it meant if it is so well known!

What a lovely first park day and I like your view, definitely gives you that park lodge vibe!

We really were off to a great start!

I thought of you on NYE. Eric wanted to do "what we did last year" for NYE. Well, last year we ate at Biergarten. :rotfl: So I actually attempted Schnitzel and Spaetzle. Not quite the same as a full German buffet but it was rather edible.

:goodvibes

I love it that you had German food for NYE! How did you make the Spätzle? Do they sell Spätzle makers in the US or did you cut them off a board? I think we once had a huge Spätzle making discussion either on my PTR for the trip with Katharina or on Liesa's epic PTR... Seems such a long time ago!!

Hi Magdalena !! I am slowly catching up with all my Dis friends threads!!My TR is at a Halt till I figure out how to upload pix to my new Laptop!!:rotfl2:Will have the Teens show me !!!;):rotfl2::thumbsup2
Hope your Holidays were great, Did you get to spend time with Michael ???I was just looking at all Kyle's Nutcrackers , he LOVES them , his favorites are Sherlock Holmes , a Fisher man and the 2 Mickey Mouse ones he has !!:)It still baffles me why he started collecting them but he is definitely hooked on them !!!

Hi Rosie, it is wonderful to see you on the DIS again! Looking forward to reading the rest of your TR, I hope the teens can give you IT support!

A Sherlock Holmes Nutcracker???? :rotfl2:

Carsland looks AWESOME!!! Thanks for sharing all those pictures. I've been wanting to get back to DL ever since we left the first time, and now I REALLY want to go back. You are right DL would be easier than WDW with a toddler since everything is so close to each other. We just need to brave the 6 hour flight to get there.:scared1:

Carsland is truly one of the best things Disney ever built! And I am even kind of against those lands themed to just one franchise, I rather prefer something more general like Adventureland.

Oh, I just realized that you are from Massachusetts, that is really nearly the furthest away from California that you can be. However, when I am on those transatlantic flights there are always plenty of families with kids traveling for 9/10 hours. I am always impressed with how well the small kids do in general. I guess it really depends on each child, but I would not say it is impossible!

I forgot to comment on this post, but I thought it was very funny. We order these occasionally at Jack in the Box, and always have to refrain ourselves when placing the order. You see in our group of friends, we call them "The Two Cr@ppy Tacos". The thing is that they are actually the best Cr@ppy tacos around. Other fast food chains, don't do them nearly as well.

I'm glad you enjoyed our little slice of California! :rotfl2:

Michael was right bringing you in through the Pacific Wharf section. That's how we entered during the Preview days. Everything was blocked off so you couldn't see anything until they opened the gates. You could hear the guests gasp when they caught sight of the entrance. Truly stunning.

You captured a lot of the great details in Carsland with your pictures!

I really love it how everyone has a Jack in the Box story!! :rotfl2:

It must have been amazing to share that first glimpse of Carsland with a whole group. Especially when there had not yet been photos out! I tried really hard since Carsland opened to not watch any onride video of RSR as I like to see new things that are really new to me. As lovely as the internet is, it also takes away some of that first wow-effect. Very envious that you were able to have that with Carsland!! :goodvibes

There will be plenty more Carsland pictures!

I never saw the older version, so I think ignorance is bliss in this case!

I guess - even though we really liked it in 2005.

All that light streaming in combined with a dark interior makes it tough! What a beautiful place, though. I love this type of theme.

These are the moments when I regret only having a point and shoot. I know I could do better if I were able to work with my camera (and I once really learned how to use a camera before there were all these new things in them, in an art class at school in the early 90s). But then I am too lazy for a big camera!

I have a theory that serving everything in a bread bowl would make it better.:thumbsup2

:thumbsup2 That could be true!! By the way, my next trip report will have a food story that has been inspired by you (in a good way!)!

Good idea to go in that way! It really is spectacular. Although I think the rest of Radiator Springs looks great, too. Amazing how it feels just like the movie.

Yes, it is amazing how they were able to turn a cartoon into real life without it being cheesy.

Nice! I didn't have much time to notice details like that.

Sorry! But I guess it is a reason for a return trip some time in the future!

Love your pictures! Hopefully I'll be able to make it out to DL for a conference this summer in Anaheim... if work will pay for it. $500 just for the registration fee :faint: Thanks for sharing!!

Good luck in getting work to pay for a visit to DL! :thumbsup2 I am glad that you are enjoying the trip report!

What a great couple of updates!!

Thanks! But it is easy when you have such great source material as the DLR to work with. :goodvibes

I only eat at J-in-the-B every couple of years, but I do like their tacos. Not a bad choice!

So that Jack place is all along the West Coast? I think I never saw it in Florida...

Yes, the HM at DLR is WAY better. A perfect setting for the spooky atmosphere they are trying to portray.

The whole area is so pretty and seems to flow so well and has so many details!

You really maximized your time well there, and yes, the track on the Matterhorn is rather jerky- has been as long as I can remember. Even when I was really young, like 8 years old, it gave me a headache every time I rode it.

I just remember that Katharina and I absolutely loved it in 1992. But then they had the old cars where you would sit together as a pair. I remember that we were holding on to each other very tightly on our first trip around. Now it has the same seating as the WDW Space Mountain. Which is comparable in jerkiness also I would say...

Carsland is absolutely adorable!! I am stunned by the detail in it! So many visuals, and I can't WAIT to go back and visit it for the very first time!!!

Carsland is so worth a visit!! :thumbsup2

No, we didn't get to visit nearly as much as I'd have liked either. My break was so, SO busy with family at our house coming and going that I just didn't have time to do much that was on my list for my time off. Alas, it's back to the grindstone, so to speak. I don't mind. I love what I"m studying, and have a wonderful bunch of ladies to learn with.

You are already through the first week of term! And it is good to hear that you have a good support system already! I was lucky to have a wonderful study group in college (we are still friends today) and I am sure that me doing very well in the end is thanks to them to a certain degree as they helped me stay focussed and motivated!

Once we met Michael’s friends we went to get a drink together. No, not at Starbucks. That highlight was another day and I got things mixed up… Hence the title change of this update to "Ice Spheres" (which is in no way related to the movie Frozen which I still have not seen...)

It turned out that Michael’s lovely friends were treating us to drinks at the 1901 Lounge – which is a private lounge only open to members of Club 33 (a private club at Disneyland with a “secret” dining room in New Orleans Square). The 1901 Lounge is in the Carthay Circle Theater building that is the new central focal point of DCA. I was very excited about that opportunity – it felt a bit like going backstage at a theme park: an area you are intrigued by, but normally don’t have access to. However, it was far prettier and comfier than a backstage area and they served better drinks as well!

I had a lovely cocktail with a candied pansy;

DSC04609.jpg

One of Michael’s friends had the Manhattan, which comes with a whole show. They serve the cocktail on ice – but not any plain old ice cube, no with an ice sphere. It is made by this totally fascinating two blocks of steel that a large piece of ice is placed inbetween. The two blocks are hollow inside. The weight of the block pressure-melts away all superfluous ice and the only thing left is a perfect sphere. I tried to document the process:

DSC04614.jpg

DSC04617.jpg

DSC04618-Arbeitskopie2.jpg

This is the drink with ice sphere. Sorry for the blurry picture!

DSC04620.jpg

The lounge is really nicely decorated with all kind of Walt Disney momentos:

DSC04607.jpg

DSC04608.jpg

DSC04612.jpg

DSC04621.jpg

DSC04622.jpg

We had a lovely break at the lounge – it was great to be somewhere fairly quiet and just enjoy chatting with lovely people.

But then it was time to head out again. We went on Tower of Terror first. This is different from WDW, but the same as DLP. I think I like it the least however. For whatever reason I think the French dialogue just goes so well with the whole Tower of Terror theme (I know it is ridiculous as it is set in Hollywood. But I just love the way the French voice sounds so creepy!) and the DLP CM on ToT have always been really excellent to me. However, both DLP and DL miss the forward travelling part and there is some strange thing about queuing on two different levels and I could swear that it makes your wait time in the boiler room longer – even though there are three elevator shafts. Still it was a fun ride and at the exit I was told to take a picture of the area under one of the stairs. And this is what came out:

DSC04623.jpg

There are feet!!! And even more of a body???

We moved on to something that I had totally missed out on my first visit to DCA. The Animation building. It turned out to be a lovely little attraction. There is one room that shows on the walls all kind of different scenes from films. This is really nice to hang out in and just wathc! Then off to the side is one of the Toy Story Zoetrops (see here if you are curious: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjSxrVXsfVM and make sure to set the video to HD). I think in one end is Turtle Talk with Crush (we did not do that) and then there is the Sorcerers Workshop where you can find out which Disney character is most like you and you can try voiceovers for films etc. It is a lovely environment and we had fun playing around for a while:

DSC04625.jpg

DSC04627.jpg

We also went on the Monsters Inc. Ride (the full name is Monsters Inc. Mike and Sully to the Rescue). This is kind of a dark ride telling a story about Monsters Inc. It is nicely done. The interesting part is that it used to be something totally different in the first version of DCA. But by the time we visited that original ride was already gone and it was closed down to be transformed into the current version. The original ride was called Superstar Limo and supposedly was unbelievably bad. If you are interested in finding out more about it, read this: http://www.yesterland.com/superstarlimo.html

Then it was time to head over to Soarin' over California (as it is called here) as we had FPs for it. I was very excited to see the original again. I had first been on Soarin in 2005 and had those wonderful memories of it. I still love it at Epcot, too, but somehow it always felt a bit less wonderful than at DCA. One thing that I had in my memory was that the queue was far nicer in California:

DSC04628.jpg

It is! Not that much nicer, but I don’t like the concrete underground tunnel they call a queue at Epcot at all. It kind of reminds me in a bad way of airports. So, it is appropriate, but not in a nice way… It will be interesting what the line will look like after the current refurbishment. The whole area around Soarin has been themed to a dessert air field called Condor Flats until now. It is currently being refurbished and will be rethemed to fit in with the Grizzly Peak area and will then be Grizzly Peak Airfield. So, they might retheme the queue decorations as well...

The ride itself was wonderful as always. It was also a very clean film. This is something that started to bother me at Epcot: that there was always dirt on the film. I have read since that while at DCA they built a clean room for the projectors, they did not at Epcot. Hence, Epcot has far more of a dust problem. But since both attractions are going to go digital soon, it should no longer be a problem!

We moved back to Carsland and had a look at the Single Rider line for RSR which appeared to be far longer than when we had gotten into it in the morning and waited 30 minutes. I was also getting a headache and wanted to have a rest in the afternoon, so we decided to try our luck another time. We still had three more days in the parks!

But we did some more shopping. There are plenty of stores and most have slightly different merchandise, so you really need to check out all of them!

DSC04630.jpg

DSC04632.jpg

Leaving the park back at the hotel I noticed this sign and found it quite funny:

DSC04633.jpg

And I tried again to capture some of the grandeur of the GC lobby:

DSC04634.jpg

Unfortunately the headache got really bad and even though I took a pill I started feeling nauseous (a side effect I sometimes get from headaches). I took a nap for some time – not sure what Michael did, he might have gone down to the hot tub. After some time I was still feeling lousy, but did not want to miss out on the fun, so got up and headed back to DCA with Michael. Unfortunately feeling lousy made me not bring my camera, so no more pictures taken by me from today!

We decided that it was time to find some dinner and I thought that food might help me settle my stomach. We were discussing our options and decided to head to the Boardwalk Pizza and Pasta restaurant. It is a counter service and I thought some pasta would be a good and easy choice for my stomach. Originally I suggested that Michael and I share something, but when we got there I just could not face eating any food. So Michael chose something, not sure what, but I think it was something that I did not find appealing at all. The restaurant was not busy at all, but it must have been busy earlier in the day as all the coke machines were out of syrup. In the end Michael got a Sprite for free therefore. Once we had found a table in the seating area outside (it is really lovely there!) I saw Michael eating and suddenly started having a huge appetite. So, I went back thinking it would be easy to grab some food, but for whatever reason it took them ages to make my pasta. But I really enjoyed it and would love to eat there again. Since I did not provide any pictures, you might want to look at this review: http://www.disneyfoodblog.com/2011/...land-dcas-new-eats-boardwalk-pizza-and-pasta/

After dinner we walked through Carsland to admire it lit up at night with all the neon. Michael said that they do a little show every night when it gets dark and they switch on the lights. We had missed it today, but I really wanted to see it and filed that information into the back of my head for another day.

Then it was time to leave Carsland and head over to Disneyland. Originally our plan had been to see World of Colour tonight. But Michael’s friend whom we had met earlier were able to get us passes for a special viewing area for the DL fireworks for this night (and the same type of passes for WoC for the next day) so we changed our plans.

The viewing area was actually at the Disneyland railway station just at the park entrance. We were kind of halfway up and there were some benches to sit on. This was by far the most comfortable way to ever watch the fireworks. It was really great!!

After the fireworks we headed into DL and rode the Matterhorn again with the single rider line, then visited the Haunted Mansion and went on Pinocchio and Snow White. It was a great end to the day and by that time I was feeling very good again, headache and nausea were gone!

It was late by the time we got back to the room and I just fell into bed…

Up Next: Radiator Spring Racers!

Oh my, you still have not seen Frozen? And when do you plan to remedy this problem???? It is a cute movie.

Regarding Soaring at Epcot, the dust always bugs me, it truly takes away from the feeling that I am “actually soaring”. It will be great when they go digital.

Is Michael originally from CA? How great to have such generous CM friends!

So glad your headache and nausea left and you were able to enjoy the rest of the day.

Kate

Oh my, you still have not seen Frozen? And when do you plan to remedy this problem???? It is a cute movie.

Regarding Soaring at Epcot, the dust always bugs me, it truly takes away from the feeling that I am “actually soaring”. It will be great when they go digital.

Is Michael originally from CA? How great to have such generous CM friends!

So glad your headache and nausea left and you were able to enjoy the rest of the day.

Kate

Well, I was hoping to catch Frozen on the Fantasy, but they showed it only once at 8am. Did not make it there. To be honest, I am a bit too cheap to pay to buy the DVD and am waiting for it to be available to an online video streaming service (a legal one...). I hope to see it before the Norway cruise!

Michael used to live in California for a number of years and was a Disneyland local. It was really great to have someone who knows his way around!

The day started out so great, then got really bad and then just got really good again! :goodvibes

Lucky you with the VIP treatment - those cocktails look really cool, and it must have been so interesting to be in such an exclusive area!

Once again we did not manage an early start after our late night the day before. So it was kind of mid morning by the time we got into DCA. Today my biggest goal was to finally get to ride Radiator Spring Racers. This was my third day in the parks and I still had not been on that supposedly fabulous new ride!

We were lucky as we still were able to get some FPs for later when we finally made it to the park. And then we jumped into the Single Rider line and waited about 25 minutes until it was our time to race! Yes! No more break downs today! I went into the ride with very high expectations even though I tried to not let them get too high. I had on purpose stayed away from reading too many details about the ride and its story and was therefore quite surprised by some elements. But it is a beautiful ride! The great thing about it is that it is not in any way scary, but does add a little bit of thrill at the end. I loved how it was able to so totally transport you into the movie. Just like Carsland did in general, the ride took it onto even another level and it incorporated one of my favourite parts of the movie! I got off with a huge big grin on my face and would have loved to just jump back into line! I am spoiled by FP and usually hate standing in line for anything. But for RSR I would not hesitate to wait an hour if necessary! Luckily with the Single Rider line that was not necessary!

Having skipped breakfast we were hungry again early and I really wanted to have a meal at Flo’s V8 Café. So we decided to have an early lunch again.

Flo’s is themed brilliantly:

DSC04642.jpg

DSC04641.jpg

DSC04644.jpg

DSC04645.jpg

One thing that amused me was that after we had put in our order at the cash register, the CM told us to “drive up” to the counter to collect our food. I guess that is what you call staying in character!

They have changed the menu since we ate there, but when we were there you mainly had the choice between three different meats with different sauces and then you could chose two sides. I had the pork loin which came with a Coca-Cola barbecue sauce:

DSC04638.jpg

I chose beans and cole slaw and I also got a dinner roll. Everything was absolutely excellent! I see that the pork loin is gone now and it has been replaced with ribs with the same sauce. That sounds even more delicious… However it seems as if the beans are gone and I really loved those.

Michael had the turkey that came with gravy:

DSC04637.jpg

He got vegetables and mashed potatoes. I tried his mash and this was really excellent as well.

Flo’s is famous for having pies as desserts, so we had to get one. The seasonal pie was rhubard and that is what we got:

DSC04639.jpg

This was wonderful!

All in all this was an excellent meal!! We had a table on the patio off to the side from where we had a lovely view of the racing portion of RSR.

Once we were done with lunch, we explored some in the park. It was surprisingly busy for a Monday and not nearly as empty as I had hoped. I think we rode a few things, but by that time I was no longer the best note taker anymore…

A few last shots of Carsland for the moment:

DSC04646.jpg

DSC04647.jpg

DSC04649.jpg

DSC04650.jpg

DSC04652.jpg

We saw the trolley with the paper boys:

DSC04653.jpg

This travels from Tower of Terror to the Main Plaza in front of the Carthay Circle Theatre. It is a really cute ride, more transportation, but lovely themed. Think of it as a cross between the Main Street Vehicles and the Disneyland Railroad. At specific times there is a show with the paper boys travelling it. So, kind of the DCA version of the trolley show. It is really cute, but we only saw parts of it. I would have loved to catch more of it.

By the way, the paper boys distribute The Buena Vista Bugle. This newspaper is also available to the guests, just pick up your copy at the DCA tip board. It comes out for the season and tells you what is currently going on at DCA in the form of articles in a local newspaper. It is such a lovely touch! I got the spring edition – and then on our last day I even got the “Extra! Extra! Special Edition” for the 24 hour day.

This is the Main Plaza (the official name might be different…) with the Carthay Circle Theater:

DSC04654.jpg

And there in this neighbourhood is also the Fiddler, Fifer & Practical Café - the first ever Starbuck to have opened inside a Disney theme park (not on Disney property though, that would be the Starbucks at DLP’s Disney Village) – and also the location of my first ever Starbucks beverage purchased and consumed inside a Disney theme park!!

DSC04656.jpg

It was a really nice place and had some fun decorations:

DSC04655.jpg

We sat outside with our drinks and just soaked up the atmosphere. To me this is something that had been really missing in most Disney parks until now. Only DLP has a really neat little coffee window where you can sit in one of the cul-de-sacs off of Main Street USA and just have a coffee. Well, the MK might have a Starbucks now, but it is still lacking nice seating space (especially right now as the whole hub is a huge mess with building walls – but this belongs into the next trip report…).

We headed through Condor Flats where Minnie was meeting guests (she is at the front of the plane):

DSC04659.jpg

And checked out the store at Grizzly River Rapids:

DSC04660.jpg

Unfortunately GRR was down for refurbishment, so no ride on that for us. Really annoying – I have a hotel room right next to it and would not have worried about getting soaked on the raft ride (we did get soaked in 2005, but the Santa Ana wind was blowing that day and it worked like a giant blow drier on us, we were dry again after half an hour…).

We headed over to the Paradise Pier section and I got my first ride on California Screamin. When I was here last time my friend was sure that this was coaster she was not going to go on and I was not too sure myself. It looks scary:

DSC04662.jpg

But since then I had been on a number of scary coasters and was really looking forward to it! We got into the single rider line which is set up very complicated here (you need to go on elevators and stuff). We had a fun ride, but somehow I had expected more.

We walked along Paradise Pier:

DSC04663.jpg

DSC04664.jpg

And I went into bathroom at the Boardwalk Pasta and Pizza place to take a picture. It is really funny and I had noticed it yesterday. Originally that food place had been themed to Route 66 –and hence the bathroom looks like this:

DSC04665.jpg

Now, it is kind of this Victorian/Mediterranean mix in décor and the bathroom just does NOT fit at all. Especially since there is now a whole Route 66 area in a totally different location of the park!

We ventured on to the Redwook Creek Challenge Trail. This is a walk through attraction where you kind of can pretend to be in a National Park. You can track animals, learn about your animal spirit, and just explore. It is really nice and I enjoyed exploring a bit. It’s kind of an educational Tom Sawyer’s Island that is not on an island.

After that it was time for a break at the pool!

Up Next: My first In-N-Out Burger!! Oh and a Parade and WoC and stuff… Part 1 Part 2

Lucky you with the VIP treatment - those cocktails look really cool, and it must have been so interesting to be in such an exclusive area!

It was really nice, and totally unexpected for me as I had not at all expected to go there. However, the drinks are the same as the general public can buy at the public Lounge of the Carthay Circle Restaurant. Really nice drink menu! :thumbsup2 And I just remembered that we shared a flatbread as well which was delicious! So I can definitely recommend that for a break - even if it is less exclusive. :goodvibes

1901 is fabulous! Isn't Carsland the best? The Imagineers knocked that one out of the proverbial park. Your meal at Flo's looks great!

Jill in CO

Zowie!! 2 humongous updates. Alas, I need to focus for the rest of the evening and will have to replay tomorrow.... My intense interest in 1901 is definitely piqued for sure!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter