If you upgrade to AP, make sure they give you a yellow card

Hope Soda

Mouseketeer
We upgraded to APs a few days ago in Hollywood Studios. We did not realize we needed anything other than our MDE accounts and magic bands to prove AP status. However, when we went to buy lightsabers for our kids, at separate registers (each kid had his own gift card to spend), one cast member said the only way to give us the discount would be if we showed our yellow AP card. My husband asked if she could scan our magic band or look us up or something, and she said nope, yellow card only. She directed us to guest services, and said they could provide the cards and a refund. The other cashier did not ask me for anything and just gave me the discount. Later that day, a third cashier said she could accept a look at my MDE app as proof. So two successes and one failure without the card.

We decided to wait until the end of the day on our way out to head to guest services, where we were told that they could not give refunds unless the amount is over $15, so we would have to go to the store where we purchased it. So back to the Star Tours exit gift shop, even though the walk was painful due to a health issue that was irritating me by the end of that day. I probably should have let my husband do it, but he has no tolerance for incompetence, and I didn't want him to be the one to handle these things. I will say he gets much better results than I do though...

We were offered an anytime FP for that same day in HS, but we were trying to leave, so I declined. Guest services offered the same, but was also able to offer one for MK the following day, which we took.

So we got our yellow cards and a bonus FP, which was valid for 7DMT.

Off topic from the title of the post, but relevant to the customer service experience we received:
We went to use the 7dmt fp yesterday and we got our four green Mickeys. But the CM didn't see our kids scan and called us back telling us the kids had to scan. We explained that my husband scanned their bands before his (they didn't want to wear them), but she didn't believe us and told us to scan them again, which was mildly annoying because we had been drilling into the kids to never scan twice after we lost an anytime FP a few days ago (we got it from a ride breaking) from our 7 year old scanning twice at Talking Mickey.

So we reluctantly scanned them again and she said they didn't have 7DMT, they had Monsters Inc laugh floor. Of course they didn't have the 7dmt anymore because they had just scanned it... It still showed up in my app, too, as it hadn't refreshed yet. Then she changed to a lecture about making sure our anytime FP s are good for 7dmt, too, to which we responded that they were, which is how mine worked and my husband's worked (and the kids' worked, but she didn't see it). And all this time she's arguing with us the entire FP line is backing up around the corner. This was an even worse experience for me than the discount issue, as I hate being accused of being dishonest.

Now to balance the negative with a bit of positive. In Hollywood Studios, there was a male cast member with curly blondish hair whose name was Jen, I think, who was adorable and awesome. After entering Beauty and the Beast, my four year old suddenly decided that he did not want to be there and just stopped in his tracks, ready to throw a tantrum. I told my husband to go ahead and take our older son in and I would see if I could change little guy's mind. He noticed Jen had pins and wanted to look at them. He saw two pins he wanted. I told him I needed to get his lanyard from Daddy, and Jen said he would just come in with us instead of us having to come back (which gets little guy into the theater). So we got the lanyard and made the trades. While they were trading, Jen put his hat on my son and it was so adorable. I took some pictures of them in that moment, and one of them turned out great. We were able to convince my son to stay after that. Crisis averted.

Next awesome cast member... I don't have any recollection of what may have been on her name tag, but there was a great cast member at Enchanted Tales with Belle. Recall I mentioned earlier that we got an anytime FP from a ride (Pooh) breaking down during our FP window, and that our son scanned twice at Mickey, using his up. Well, I also failed to mention that my husband and I scanned a smidge early at Tinkerbell immediately after that, and lost ours, leaving only our 4 year old with an anytime, which wasn't particularly useful. When we showed up at Enchanted Tales, we were prepared to wait standby (posted time was just 20 minutes). We told the cast member about our disastrous handling of our FPs, and she said that, if my son's pass worked, we could all use the FP line, so we did. I was really happy with her, and I wish I'd noted her name.

So two really good experiences and two not so great experiences so far. Obviously we have had other great experiences, just not due directly to cast members.

We've experienced quite a mixed bag of attitudes among the cast members this trip. Usually they're all great or, at the very least, not unfriendly, but the last few days we've felt more negativity than past trips. It's unusual.

We upgraded my ticket only to an AP on Monday at DS, so we've been slowly learning the ins and outs of using it in stores and restaurants. Only one location gave us a very hard time - the Chapeu. My husband went to buy a hat and handed the CM my AP card, like we'd done everywhere else without an issue. She said he couldn't use it and that I had to be present. I walked the 6 feet from the doorway to the register, and then she said I also had to pay with a card in my name (she was barking these orders at us). I don't take a wallet into the parks (because I lost it once, long story) and I explained that we only use my husband's cards in the parks. She said "That's too bad, and if you don't like it I can get a manager to explain it to you." We were floored. We turned around and walked right out. But again, kind of unusual to meet such a nasty cast member. We walked across Main Street and bought the same hat without an issue. Not sure if there should be better education on AP useage for all parties, included CMs, or what.

Not sure if there should be better education on AP useage for all parties, included CMs, or what.

AP discount is for the AP holder. Regardless of how unkindly it was said to you or if you’d had CMs who don’t know the rules in the past, that’s the rule. Have DH hold on to your CC if you’re worried about losing yours again, so that when you encounter CMs who know the rules you’ll be prepared.

I think the AP discount card issue started as soon as they switched to Magic Bands. I had to learn, the hard way, to ask for the discount card.

It seems the AP upgrade process doesn’t trigger CM training that the guest not only needs valid tickets in MDE, but they also need to be handed the discount card.

AP discount is for the AP holder. Regardless of how unkindly it was said to you or if you’d had CMs who don’t know the rules in the past, that’s the rule. Have DH hold on to your CC if you’re worried about losing yours again, so that when you encounter CMs who know the rules you’ll be prepared.

You've missed the point. If we hadn't run into an issue before that, then the CMs who let us use it without issue need to be educated as well. We probably used it 10 times before this encounter. Also, there was no need for the CM to be nasty toward us. We simply handed her the pass and unleashed a beast. Unnecessary.

I think the AP discount card issue started as soon as they switched to Magic Bands. I had to learn, the hard way, to ask for the discount card.

It seems the AP upgrade process doesn’t trigger CM training that the guest not only needs valid tickets in MDE, but they also need to be handed the discount card.
Actually, you don't need the discount card, you need the Annual Pass card. By AP card I mean the plastic card you'd use to get in the park, scan for FP, etc, if you didn't use a Magic Band. I've never had, or needed, the discount card. Nor has anyone asked for it. Not when I hand over my ID and my AP anytime I make a purchase. That's all you must have.

Actually, you don't need the discount card, you need the Annual Pass card. By AP card I mean the plastic card you'd use to get in the park, scan for FP, etc, if you didn't use a Magic Band. I've never had, or needed, the discount card. Nor has anyone asked for it. Not when I hand over my ID and my AP anytime I make a purchase. That's all you must have.
Yes the yellow AP card is a must to get the AP discount. I'm guessing it was a new CM that just forgot to give it to you

I actually had a cast member at MK guest services get frustrated with me because I insisted that he give me an AP card. He said that I didn’t need it—I only need my magic band. This was the admission card—not the discount card. I’m glad that I didn’t give in to him—I’ve had to show it every time since then to receive discount. There is definitely a breakdown with training of some cast members.

But if you go to Guest Relations with a Magic Band (with MYW tickets linked in your MDE) , then Guest Relations will just want to add the AP entitlement to your virtual MDE account and not issue any admission cards. You don’t need a special AP entry card if you have an active Magic Band.
(But you do need an AP card of some form to receive AP discounts)

FYI, It’s possible my yellow Passholder “discount” card is an admission card (the number matches a ticket number in my MDE)
I’ve only used my Magic Bands to enter the parks.

Last edited:
But if you go to Guest Relations with a Magic Band (with MYW tickets linked in your MDE) , then Guest Relations will just want to add the AP entitlement to your virtual MDE account and not issue any admission cards. You don’t need a special AP entry card if you have an active Magic Band.

FYI, It’s possible my yellow Passholder “discount” card is an admission card (the number matches a ticket number in my MDE)
I realize that. But, MB fail. AP cards don't. Tell them you want the AP card for times you loose or don't want to use the MB. MB aren't required to be used. Folks forget that. They are voluntary.

In our case, each time we've bought(renewed) our AP, the CM has given us the AP at the time we renewed. Never had to ask for it or anything. Seeing how If you buy it initially you won't have a MB they have to give you something. You won't order the MB till after you activate the AP, so I'm not sure what they expect folks to use the first time anyway.
But even when we renew they've given us our card. They even write our name and expiration date on the back.

We've experienced quite a mixed bag of attitudes among the cast members this trip. Usually they're all great or, at the very least, not unfriendly, but the last few days we've felt more negativity than past trips. It's unusual.

We upgraded my ticket only to an AP on Monday at DS, so we've been slowly learning the ins and outs of using it in stores and restaurants. Only one location gave us a very hard time - the Chapeu. My husband went to buy a hat and handed the CM my AP card, like we'd done everywhere else without an issue. She said he couldn't use it and that I had to be present. I walked the 6 feet from the doorway to the register, and then she said I also had to pay with a card in my name (she was barking these orders at us). I don't take a wallet into the parks (because I lost it once, long story) and I explained that we only use my husband's cards in the parks. She said "That's too bad, and if you don't like it I can get a manager to explain it to you." We were floored. We turned around and walked right out. But again, kind of unusual to meet such a nasty cast member. We walked across Main Street and bought the same hat without an issue. Not sure if there should be better education on AP useage for all parties, included CMs, or what.

The CMs logic falls apart if you were to use a MB. I'm an AP holder, I flash my card and license and then I pay with my MB, where the card on file is my fiance's (which obviously I prefer mwahahahaha). I could not agree more on the better education part - on both sides - CMs and guests. I sometimes feel like the CMs are more weary towards me as an AP holder than a non-AP - like I'm trying to game the system or something. Disney, I'm just trying to give you my money!

I think it depends on the CM. I had the same experience as a previous poster. I went to Guest Relations in Liberty Square, paid for my AP upgrades, they handed me cards and put our names on the back for us. She explained I would need to present the AP and my ID if I wanted to get a discount. She warned me my son would probably not be able to use his discount if he was with his father or grandparents.

My annual pass was just renewed December 1st. And I actually upgraded from a silver to gold pass. I already got my new magicband in the mail, but no new card came with it. The card I currently use is from a previous renewal & says 2016-2017. Plus my signature smeared off long ago so there is no way to actually prove this is MY card looking at it. Disney really should print your name on it like a credit card.

Should I inquire next visit about it? I keep waiting to get denied or not allowed to use it. I have had several CMs recently look closer at the lack of signature, but I always have my ID with me & I assume they can scan my magicband or look it up somehow? I'm just trying to avoid a future potential problem.

I actually had a cast member at MK guest services get frustrated with me because I insisted that he give me an AP card. He said that I didn’t need it—I only need my magic band. This was the admission card—not the discount card. I’m glad that I didn’t give in to him—I’ve had to show it every time since then to receive discount. There is definitely a breakdown with training of some cast members.

I had the same experience at guest relations outside studios! I wanted my plastic AP for the discount and because I don't always wear my MB esp when staying offsite. CM flat out refused, said there was no need and rather than arguing I just made note of the name, entered the park and went to GR inside the park where I got my AP card and asked for the other CM to be trained :)

Next time you have a CM give you a hard time tell the CM you do not want to use a Magic Band. Remind the CM they are not mandatory, if needed.

And those who renew online will likely not get a card, as far as I know, you'll have to pick it up in person next time you go to the park. They don't come in the box with the bands or anything like that.

As for your name wearing off the back, just write it back on there. Problem solved. It's not like it matters WHO wrote it on there.

I upgraded a hopper to an AP in August at Guest relations outside Epcot. I had to ask for the yellow card also ( I had read on here that I needed it for discounts). The CM did not mention it and was ready to send me on my way. And I was always told at the registers that I needed to show the card and my ID.

Interesting to hear all these varied experiences. I've been an AP holder for a few years now. I've always renewed it in person and never had a CM not provide me the new AP card. I've had a magic band every time as well.

Yep, us too! In fact, we just left Disney and one day I forgot my MB - thought I had to go back and get it. A lady in line with us told us we only needed our AP card for anything and she was correct. You can use the AP card only, but you can't use the MB 'only' for everything.

FYI - You can link your AP card to My Disney Experience App and show that at cashiers. I know not everyone likes to bring their phone and I'm sure there are CM's out there that will still have a problem with that but it's another option.

I renew online so I had to pick up my new AP card when I got there. I used it a couple of times without problems before I rememered to get the new card. I just stopped at a ticket booth and asked if I actually needed the card and got the new one without any issues.

I did notice this time that almost all CMs required looking at the card and ID when asking for the discount. In the past, quite a few didn't ask. I'm guessing that there were enough times where people did scam the system that Disney has started cracking down on the rules. One of the places where I didn't get asked to see the card was at Garden Grill. In fact they asked me if I was using my AP for the discount. I've been there numerous times before so I guess the AP in on file someplace.

I try to give the CMs a break when it comes to attitude. They work in a hot, crowded environment full of rude, antagonistic people. I have no idea who might have reamed that CM out just before I stepped up. I've been in that situation often enough myself. :) I'm not excusing them by any means, but I do try to be understanding.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter