• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

If you upgrade to AP, make sure they give you a yellow card

FYI - You can link your AP card to My Disney Experience App and show that at cashiers. I know not everyone likes to bring their phone and I'm sure there are CM's out there that will still have a problem with that but it's another option.
All AP are linked to MDE. They have to be in order to book FP. So it's a given they are linked for anyone with an AP. No CM I've ever purchased from will accept that.

AP discount is for the AP holder. Regardless of how unkindly it was said to you or if you’d had CMs who don’t know the rules in the past, that’s the rule. Have DH hold on to your CC if you’re worried about losing yours again, so that when you encounter CMs who know the rules you’ll be prepared.

I completely understand why she would need to present the discount card, but does it actually matter if her name is on the CC?

The only time I’ve had that be an issue was when I worked retail, it was expressively forbidden that we use any card that wasn’t our own (or our spouse’s) if we were using our employee discount or we were likely to get flagged and possibly fired for “sharing” our discount (I, personally, don’t like anyone enough to risk getting fired over something so silly as a discount).

In any other situation where I’ve had a coupon or a membership, they’ve never cared who was actually paying as long as I was present.

I completely understand why she would need to present the discount card, but does it actually matter if her name is on the CC?

Well, yeah. That’s why they wouldn’t take his cc. Because it was his name, not hers.

I didn’t change my name when I married. So I could tour the parks with my brother, and if they let us use a card with a guy’s name I could let him pay. After all we have the same last name. That means we’re married right?

Nah. It doesn’t.

Use a card in your name that you hand over with your AP card. Or charge it to the MB if you’re onsite and set up room charging.

Well, yeah. That’s why they wouldn’t take his cc. Because it was his name, not hers.

I didn’t change my name when I married. So I could tour the parks with my brother, and if they let us use a card with a guy’s name I could let him pay. After all we have the same last name. That means we’re married right?

Nah. It doesn’t.

Use a card in your name that you hand over with your AP card. Or charge it to the MB if you’re onsite and set up room charging.

I, honestly, didn’t know if the CM was making up/misunderstanding a policy as far as payment. Especially, since there is such an easy workaround with the Magic Band.

If we ever get APs again, doubtful given we take long trips and like to stay at Bonnet Creek, I’ll have to remember if only one person has an AP we must have their CC with us. This is actually making me remember a different thread, from who knows how long ago, where I think a CM got huffy because the other person in the couple presented the cash.

Either way, I’ve worked retail and I made a concerted effort to always be polite when explaining policies even when I thought the customer was a scam artist. I agree with you the best option moving forward is to just have the poster keep her card in her husband’s wallet or the Magic Band option.

To the original OP, sorry for the less than pleasant encounters.

This past week, we were told by a CM that you could just show the pass on your phone, under memberships and passes. It worked for us.

I've also been hit with AP discount must be paid for using the passholder's card. It was only once at the gift shop on the Boardwalk. My sister has an AP and I wanted to buy her a gift - this sweater she'd been eyeing, but thought was too expensive, even with the discount. It was expensive, but the AP discount and the fact that she kept eyeing it our wholes stay in the Epcot resort area swayed me. She showed her AP, I tried to pay with my card but the CM was having none of it. She was actually a bit rude about it too.

No one else cared, some didn't even want to see the card after being told we had an AP for discounts.

We saw this multiple times on our honeymoon this last fall. They would not allow me to show my pass and my husband to swipe his card. Whomever was paying had to show their pass.

A few years ago, I got stuck at the WoD store, with about $200+ in merchandise. I didn't have the yellow card...the CM, earlier in the week, told me I didn't need one, when I renewed my AP. Well, evidently she was very wrong. The cashier said I had to have it. I tried to bring it up on my phone, but Disney wifi being what it is, that didn't work. I was not a happy customer! I finally got a manager and told her how ridiculous I thought the system is that when using a MB to pay, it can't automatically bring up the AP eligibility! She agreed, saying many are upset with the fact that the two systems can't interact! Thank heaven I have DVC and carry my blue card with me...that gave me the same discount.
But, I'll tell you....I always get that yellow card now. Just in case. I don't care if the CM says I don't really need it.

We upgraded my ticket only to an AP on Monday at DS, so we've been slowly learning the ins and outs of using it in stores and restaurants. Only one location gave us a very hard time - the Chapeu. My husband went to buy a hat and handed the CM my AP card, like we'd done everywhere else without an issue. She said he couldn't use it and that I had to be present. I walked the 6 feet from the doorway to the register, and then she said I also had to pay with a card in my name (she was barking these orders at us). I don't take a wallet into the parks (because I lost it once, long story) and I explained that we only use my husband's cards in the parks. She said "That's too bad, and if you don't like it I can get a manager to explain it to you." We were floored. We turned around and walked right out. But again, kind of unusual to meet such a nasty cast member. We walked across Main Street and bought the same hat without an issue. Not sure if there should be better education on AP useage for all parties, included CMs, or what.

We had something similar happen to us on Main Street too. My sister and I were both AP Holders and we were both in line holding items. The line was very long and my sister had to go to the restroom so I told her I would buy her things. When I got to the front of the line, the CM said she wouldn't process it with my AP because she had seen my 'friend' hand me their items. I explained she had an AP too but she said she wouldn't give me the discount. At this time, my sister had returned and showed her the AP and ID. The CM was very rude about it and said she would do us a favor by putting the discount (that we were both entitled to) through.

I actually had a cast member at MK guest services get frustrated with me because I insisted that he give me an AP card. He said that I didn’t need it—I only need my magic band. This was the admission card—not the discount card. I’m glad that I didn’t give in to him—I’ve had to show it every time since then to receive discount. There is definitely a breakdown with training of some cast members.

My sister and her husband also received some pushback when asking for a new card. They had renewed online, and stopped at guest relations to pick up the new cards on their way into the park.

Thanks for the reminder. I will need to pick up a new card myself on my next trip, since mine has the 2016-2017 dates.

They gave us a yellow card and told us to always show it. They also tell us to always show our most recent DVC card as well as sometimes DVC is better (rare... but a few places).

As a side note - you should tweet about those positive cast member experiences. The CM's will appreciate it! Tweet to @WDWToday and include #castcompliment and details about who, when and why!

This past week, we were told by a CM that you could just show the pass on your phone, under memberships and passes. It worked for us.
You got very lucky. Don't be surprised if next time you find it doesn't work. In the nearly 3 years we've had an AP, I can count on 1 hand the number of times a CM didn't require us to show our AP card. Few allow us to show just the slider on our band or the app.

We don’t have MagicBands in Disneyland, but the credit card must be in the same name as the AP rules is pretty uniformly enforced as they must scan the AP here.

Nah. It doesn’t.

Not all joint cc accounts put separate names on the cards. All of my mom’s cards had my dad’s name, and this was recently, not decades ago. I agree the MB is a good alternative in that case if you are staying on site, but not everyone is.

We were there from Nov 2 - 11 with a party of 11, only wifey and I had APs. I told the kids and grandkids to bring cash to the parks to avoid all this crap which they did. My SIL bought one of those Build Your Own Light Sabers after the Star Tours ride for my grandchild, he handed me a century note and I paid with that and my AP discount card.

Bill From PA

It’s interesting that they make you do this. We’re on Magical Express heading home and were just discussing it. They can see your resort reservation for EMH based on your MB; they can see your name when you scan your MB; how hard is it to see Annual Passholder on there? It feels like an extra step/maybe a way to make more money from people forgetting the card.

We were there last month and I had the AP slider on my MagicBand and I recall at least one or two CMs applying the discount just based seeing that on my MB.

We were there last month and I had the AP slider on my MagicBand and I recall at least one or two CMs applying the discount just based seeing that on my MB.
Yep, I always have at least one or two that will apply it based on the slider alone. But I never count on it

Until Disney upgrades their IT and AP discounts are automatically applied when using my MB, I think I’ll continue to keep the discount process drama free and simply pull out my ID and AP card (which I didn’t have to ask for when upgrading — this is where the issues stem from IMO) when making a purchase without prompting. It’s just easier.

On the note of discount “sharing”, about eight years ago my DD and I each had an AP. As I was paying my DD brought up a cheap $4 item and plopped it on the counter with the rest of my goodies. The cashier would not allow me to add my daughters item to my purchase until she verified my DD had an AP as well.

Side note...I wish as an AP holder my AP card could be linked to MDE rather than me wearing a magic band. Since I have to carry my AP card anyway (and my license, health insurance card, cash, back up credit cards, etc) I'd prefer to just use my AP card like the old KTTW card but use RFID to scan to my MDE account for FP+ access.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter