If you're not going to Disney, where have you decided to go?

We're looking at gulf side Florida beaches.
As part of our often Di$ney trips in the past we've stayed at the Sheraton Sand Key Resort in Clearwater Beach and really enjoyed it. There was a time where the Sheraton Sand Key Resort and Swan/Dolphin has some package deals too.

We really want to stay away from people, my husband is getting his scuba certification, we are going to go to the Florida keys. ( to be fair Key west is 4 hours away ) if it doesnt happen then we will just do it from here Delray beach, FL

Besides the above sightseeing, our favorite places to go in the area include the quiet, natural white sand beaches at Fort DeSoto State Park (fun to explore too) and Honeymoon Island State Park (picnic, beach, good shelling, fun ferry ride to Caladesi Island's deserted beaches for a fee $). Clearwater Beach is gorgeous too and developed with plenty of amenities, upscale restaurants, high-rise hotels, charter cruises/fishing, and pirate boat rides, if that's more interesting to you. We also love all there is to do at the St. Pete Pier, day or evening - delicious waterfront seafood at Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille. Don't forget that Tampa also has sports stadiums and major cultural events. It's over an hour's drive from Tampa to the massive Siesta Key beach, voted #1 beach in America by TripAdvisor in 2020. There's just way more to do in the region than most people realize.

My parents just moved out to the area not too long ago and we'll be visiting for the first time. Thanks for all the ideas of things to check out!

Great choice! We were looking at the Tampa Zoo-we're not big coaster people at all, so I thought maybe the zoo, and I think Tampa has an aquarium? My concern is the resort, we're use to DVC 1 and 2 bedrooms, and also we've stayed at the Grand Vista and HGVC a few years back. No matter where we end up, just want to be happy with the resort as well as the attractions.
Tampa Busch Gardens Animal Kingdom was great

We just canceled our 2nd and final Disney trip. I was really unhappy that it was already 7,000 out the door for the 5 of us and then threw in Genie and have left so many things unopened or short staffed. We LOVE to cruise, but obviously not right now. We did the Discovery Cove/Sea World package this spring and loved it. 750 total for all 5 of us including the dolphin encounter for my husband and all 3 kids, plus unlimited Sea World and Aquatica visits. Well worth it and less than a 1/3 of the price of the Disney tickets.
We love the Tampa area as well, and my husband and I really loved Jekyll Island this past fall. Amazing dolphin tour and lots to see and do.
Instead of Disney this fall, we are doing Universal for a great deal. We “may” get Magic Passes for Disneyland next year bc I really can’t imagine never doing Disney when our youngest two were old enough to remember.

If you still want to do Orlando there is always the marvelous SeaWorld family of parks like you mentioned - - SeaWorld, Bush Gardens (skip if you don't want to go all the way to Tampa or take the free shuttle bus there if you don't want to drive), Aquatica, and Discovery Cove. There are lots of threads about non Disney things to do in Orlando too. Maybe check out Gatorland, the Titanic Attraction, and the Wax Museum if any of those sound appealing. We like all of those. Nice day trips are the Kennedy Space Center (They have really upped their game there, and it is really interesting and fun, even for someone like me who is not in any way that into space stuff) and the Beach (Coco an hour away / Clearwater two hours away, but such a great beach that we don't mind the trip).

The mountains and out west is always great in the summer. I like flying to Denver, staying in Estes Park (two hours away) and visiting Rocky Mountain National Park. There are lots of cabin and condo type accommodations in Estes Park. This year you needed to get timed entry reservations for the national park (e.g. July 1 you go online and get the reservations for your August days). If you aren't big hikers, you could do three nights, two days there (Trail Ridge Road with all the overlooks and little mini walks overlooks is so much fun. And at Bear Lake there is so has family friendly beautiful hiking. My favorite hike is the Emerald Lake hike. I love the Junior Ranger program for kids. And then maybe three nights in Colorado Springs. In Colorado springs, you could check out "Garden of the Gods", visit the wonderful Colorado Springs zoo, do the zip line at Seven Falls and explore that, and visit the Air Force chapel. There is Pike's Peak too, but I'd probably skip that if you did Trail Ridge Road.

I'm doing Estes Park / Rocky Mountain National Park this September.

I'm doing the Mouse (just two days there ), SeaWorld and Busch Gardens, a resort day, and a pontoon boat Manatee watching day in Orlando next March on a seven night/six day trip. I'm staying offsite at the Sheraton Vistana condos.

For tropical, I would love to get back to Puerto Vallarta, Mexico (so much to do there). I will be renting a condo downtown that is beach front, but I am holding off now due to Covid cases down there, hospital occupancy, etc. with that Delta variant. We're not ready to venture anywhere internationally, but I'm hoping maybe to go there February of 2023 (I need to see how things are going). Beside the beach, you can do dolphin and whale watching (hump back whales if you are there Dec. - March timeframe), explore the Malecon and beautiful architecture of the city. And the food there is to die for -- great street food and restaurants with great prices. We usually do one tour/day trip to a more remote Mexican Village or something like that on a seven night/six day stay too, and that would be in my plans. I never bother with a car down there (use taxi service and do a tours for any day trips). (Side note: Over the weekend, they just got hit by hurricane Nora, so this is still on my radar, but another reason to hold off for us.)

I know you were considering Pigeon Forge. My son who is 25 did a Pigeon Forge trip that included Dollywood (really enjoyed that), the Titanic attraction, Anakeesta (mountain park in nearby Gatlinburg), aquarium and wax museum in Gatinburg, and time at Smoky Mountain National Park (scenic drive with stops and some hiking) last October. I know he enjoyed the trip. We just got back from a three day Titanic conference in that area too. We loved the conference, but had limited time, so didn't get to stay extra days to do other attractions in the area.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone, what great ideas! Now we're thinking of maybe Vero Beach for a few nights, then the Disney area-not sure if we'll do Disney or not-definitely want to do Discovery Cove, so might look into the package that includes Seaworld. We rent points from a friend, so we are very fortunate, the deluxe places aren't too crazy priced for us. I have to admit, I do like Disney deluxe hotels-the balconies, the room etc. I know you can get that at the timeshare properties as well, so still much to look into, will give me something to do during the long winter months!

Great choice! We were looking at the Tampa Zoo-we're not big coaster people at all, so I thought maybe the zoo, and I think Tampa has an aquarium? My concern is the resort, we're use to DVC 1 and 2 bedrooms, and also we've stayed at the Grand Vista and HGVC a few years back. No matter where we end up, just want to be happy with the resort as well as the attractions.

There's also a great Dali museum in St. Pete if you're an art fan. I wasn't a big Dali fan until we went there. Now we've been twice.

What'd you think of Grand Vista? We actually have owned there for 20 years and have never stayed. We usually trade it since we have DVC. Now we're thinking a stay there would be more convenient to other things in Orlando.

Cades Cove is my DH's favorite place on earth. We love it there.

I like flying to Denver, staying in Estes Park (two hours away) and visiting Rocky Mountain National Park.
I stayed on the West side of the park (in Granby, near Grand Lake and the Never Summer Mountains). It's a little more out of the way, but a lot less congested. You have to get up a bit earlier to make it to the Bear Lake area before it fills up, but the timed entry might help with this now.

We're leaving next week for a cabin in Virginia. We'd done the Pigeon Forge thing and just wanted a slower pace with less traffic. Taking a few books, my knitting and the stuff to make s'mores. So looking forward to exploring the trails and relaxing a bit.

I think it depends on what you like about your Disney trips. If you like staying busy, have you considered a cruise? Hopefully they'll become more commonplace again by next year.

If you like the weather, we love the Gulf beaches. Clearwater is our favorite area with many things to do in walking distance and a close drive from the Tampa airport, but there's a lot of areas to choose from along the Gulf Coast.

If you like a resort experience, perhaps an all inclusive in the Caribbean? RIU resorts are my favorite (I think there's one in Miami too); however, Beaches resorts would cater more to kids/families. Atlantis in the Bahamas is also an awesome resort, but not all inclusive and would be more expensive.

We are a Disney-obsessed family, but my kids' favorite vacation of all time was Puerto Rico! We stayed right on the beach in a resort-type hotel with a great pool, activities, etc., but the best part was wandering around Old San Juan. It's beautiful, European, friendly, just wonderful. Can't say enough about how friendly everyone was.

Then we spent a few days in a beach town about an hour away. It was across the bay from El Conquistador, a Waldorf resort with its own private island that looked amazing. From there we took day trips to the rainforest (El Yunque National Park), kayaked through the mangroves at night to see the bioluminescent bay, and went on a jet ski tour of the Pirates of the Caribbean island. Super fun! We'd love to go back to see more.

We are a Disney-obsessed family, but my kids' favorite vacation of all time was Puerto Rico! We stayed right on the beach in a resort-type hotel with a great pool, activities, etc., but the best part was wandering around Old San Juan. It's beautiful, European, friendly, just wonderful. Can't say enough about how friendly everyone was.

Then we spent a few days in a beach town about an hour away. It was across the bay from El Conquistador, a Waldorf resort with its own private island that looked amazing. From there we took day trips to the rainforest (El Yunque National Park), kayaked through the mangroves at night to see the bioluminescent bay, and went on a jet ski tour of the Pirates of the Caribbean island. Super fun! We'd love to go back to see more.
We loved Puerto Rico too. Can’t wait to go back 1 day.

We’re in NY too. A favorite non-Disney trip is driving up to Montreal or Quebec City, once that’s an option again. Quebec City is lovely and has a very European feel and great food.

Atlantis in the Bahamas is also an awesome resort, but not all inclusive and would be more expensive.
If you’re ever looking to do a budget Atlantis trip, stay across at the Comfort Suites. Guests there get free bands for Atlantis, & free breakfast in the Bahamas is nice too! They have a cool little pool bar and affordable dinners as well.

Low key beach stays (Clearwater/Indian rocks area) and nearby (WV) “glamping” trips while covid is still limiting a lot of options. It’s definitely saved us a ton of money compared to a Disney trip.

I’m waiting for all major Disney changes and the COVID situation to shake out before I even consider going back. If resort prices stay as high as currently posted I won’t be back at all.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter