Impact of Omicron Variant

How do you think that the Omicron variant will impact DVC?

• Total voters
Uk won't be locking down. There will be more restrictions, but I can't see a lockdown.

But bearing in mind the Government aren't even complying with their own rules, people will be far less compliant.

id wager they have to lockdown. Ireland now has a six week curfew

regardless no Europeans will be buying dvc anytime soon

Buying VGF2 was a strong maybe for me, but after the last 10 days I spent negotiating all that’s new at WDW I’m leaning strongly against adding on.
Omicron & whatever pops up next isn’t the reason - although it’d be nice if they were a bit more proactive at enforcing the safety measures they do have & refilling the sanitizers, it’s the new system that is challenging - the G+ was a waste of money for us & you never knew what you could ride when, the tap in to your reserved park & not being able to hop until 2 was a huge hassle - we felt trapped in our first park & unable to move on to a less crowded park if the crowds got too big where we were, the lines were challenging & unpredictable to us, the hours across the board are shorter & the shorter/loss of evening EMH just crammed more people into the parks in the hours they were open. In short it cost more for a diminished experience & I really noticed the difference, thus I’m in no rush to buy more points.

Buying VGF2 was a strong maybe for me, but after the last 10 days I spent negotiating all that’s new at WDW I’m leaning strongly against adding on.
Omicron & whatever pops up next isn’t the reason - although it’d be nice if they were a bit more proactive at enforcing the safety measures they do have & refilling the sanitizers, it’s the new system that is challenging - the G+ was a waste of money for us & you never knew what you could ride when, the tap in to your reserved park & not being able to hop until 2 was a huge hassle - we felt trapped in our first park & unable to move on to a less crowded park if the crowds got too big where we were, the lines were challenging & unpredictable to us, the hours across the board are shorter & the shorter/loss of evening EMH just crammed more people into the parks in the hours they were open. In short it cost more for a diminished experience & I really noticed the difference, thus I’m in no rush to buy more points.
I'm back from my first time in early December and I had a similar experience as you. I usually visit in September when the crowds are at their lowest, so not sure if it's just the shock of visiting on days when MK was sold out.
I didn't like Genie+ at all, neither when I had purchased it or when I hadn't. We'll see how the next visit will go, but for the first time I'm thinking about selling one of my contracts and visit less often.

I'm back from my first time in early December and I had a similar experience as you. I usually visit in September when the crowds are at their lowest, so not sure if it's just the shock of visiting on days when MK was sold out.
I didn't like Genie+ at all, neither when I had purchased it or when I hadn't. We'll see how the next visit will go, but for the first time I'm thinking about selling one of my contracts and visit less often.

What did you dislike about it on days you had it and also days you didn't? On days you didn't was it because there's no fast pass?

What did you dislike about it on days you had it and also days you didn't? On days you didn't was it because there's no fast pass?
When you don't have it, it obviously sucks. The impact of Genie+ to standby lines looked similar to the old FP+, so longer waits, but you don't have the 3 (or more) free passes like in the past. By 10 at the Magic Kingdom lines are already too long for me: 40 minutes for It's a Small World might not be much for a first time visitor, but I've done it countless of times, it's not worth a 40 minutes wait.

And when you have it it's frustrating.
First of all, it's buggy, even more than MDE used to be. I had constantly problems with the Tip Board (where you book a pass) not loading. Guest services couldn't help either. I had to keep two phones open with different accounts to try and book Slinky, and luckily I did that, because otherwise I would have waisted $60 (Slinky books in seconds for the whole day).
A few of the problems may be easily fixed soon. For example, I'd like to meet the person who thought starting booking at 7am is a good idea. Especially when it's Epcot day and the park opens at 10, why ask a turist on vacation to wake up at 7 to book a pass or a boarding group? In Disneyland you can start booking as soon as you enter the park, it looks like a better way.
It's frustrating you cannot chose a different time. If you are given 12:30 for the pass and you have a dining reservation or another pass at that time, you cannot choose a later time, you have to wait and try to time it right. And you have to set alarms so that you remember to book a new pass after 2 hours, currently there is no way to know when the next pass will be available.
People who were looking forward to it, hoping for a more relaxing experience: forget it! It's night and day from the ease of use of the Universal Express Pass.
And all of this and it doesn't even include the best attractions! You have to pay separately for those.
The only park where it works is MK, it has enough good rides to give enough value during the day. At the Studios, Slinky goes in seconds and if you're not super fast you'll get a return window in the evening, if that. That means you can book a second one at 11:00, when most headliners will have a return time in the evening as well. And then that's it, by 1pm you'll get Muppets or Start Tour.
Animal Kingdom and Epcot don't have enough rides to make a purchase worthwhile. I can see how it can work much better at Disneyland, with so many more attractions, but in Florida it's mostly frustrating.

Last edited:
When you don't have it, it obviously sucks. The impact of Genie+ to standby lines looked similar to the old FP+, so longer waits, but you don't have the 3 (or more) free passes like in the past. By 10 at the Magic Kingdom lines are already too long for me: 40 minutes for It's a Small World might not be much for a first time visitor, but I've done it countless of times, it's not worth a 40 minutes wait.

First of all, it's buggy, even more than MDE used to be. I had constantly problems with the Tip Board (where you book a pass) not loading. Guest services couldn't help either. I had to keep two phones open with different accounts to try and book Slinky, and luckily I did that, because otherwise I would have waisted $60 (Slinky books in seconds for the whole day).
A few of the problems may be easily fixed soon. For example, I'd like to meet the person who thought starting booking at 7am is a good idea. Especially when it's Epcot day and the park opens at 10, why ask a turist on vacation to wake up at 7 to book a pass or a boarding group? In Disneyland you can start booking as soon as you enter the park, it looks like a better way.
It's frustrating you cannot chose a different time. If you are given 12:30 for the pass and you have a dining reservation or another pass at that time, you cannot choose a later time, you have to wait and try to time it right. And you have to set alarms so that you remember to book a new pass after 2 hours, currently there is no way to know when the next pass will be available.
People who were looking forward to it, hoping for a more relaxing experience: forget it! It's night and day from the ease of use of the Universal Express Pass.
And all of this and it doesn't even include the best attractions! You have to pay separately for those.
The only park where it works is MK, it has enough good rides to give enough value during the day. At the Studios, Slinky goes in seconds and if you're not super fast you'll get a return window in the evening, if that. That means you can book a second one at 11:00, when most headliners will have a return time in the evening as well. And then that's it, by 1pm you'll get Muppets or Start Tour.
Animal Kingdom and Epcot don't have enough rides to make a purchase worthwhile. I can see how it can work much better at Disneyland, with so many more attractions, but in Florida it's mostly frustrating.
This is exactly what I was worried it would be like - a tech battle when I'd rather just spend that time chatting with my family. The fact you can't choose a later time than the one given sounds like a huge pain in the neck.

Thanks for the detail! You mentioned DL and we used to use the Max Pass there and thought it was great. I think that not being able to book until you've entered a park is key because yes, 7AM for a 9 or 10AM park opening is insane. And then the ability to select a time. It sounds like they mostly are just mimicking the old FP system except for that whole getting started at 7AM thing and the 2 paid attractions per park. (Pay for Everest or Space Mt? Come on).

Uk won't be locking down. There will be more restrictions, but I can't see a lockdown.

But bearing in mind the Government aren't even complying with their own rules, people will be far less compliant.
How is it in UK ? We are going back in lock down in Canada.

How is it in UK ? We are going back in lock down in Canada.

The cases are on the rise. There is talk of restrictions coming in - but just to the extent of restaurants having take out only, limited mixing, etc.

But nothing, as yet, regarding a full lockdown. But nothing has been announced.

I am planning on coming to USA on Jan 7th so hopefully travel will be ok

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59733893

Wishful thinking IMO that travel will occur in Jan From the uk. Pretty much all of the eu and the uk are under level 4 cdc travel advisories.

Omni will be raging by that point.

id wager flight cancellations out of the uk shortly

Wishful thinking IMO that travel will occur in Jan From the uk. Pretty much all of the eu and the uk are under level 4 cdc travel advisories.

Omni will be raging by that point.

id wager flight cancellations out of the uk shortly

I disagree with you on that. Megatron infections are up but hospital beds and death rate down

There will be social distancing and restrictions in place but no lockdown on the basis

1) Government adviser when travel from home was restricted drove 100 miles to check his eyes

2) Senior health minister caught on cctv kissing his secretary when social distance rules were in place

3) a member of Parliament after testing positive took train from Scotland to London and back

4) our prime Minster has been caught at an Xmas party when restrictions on meetingwere in place

5) the Person appointed to investigate the above had to step aside because he had been to a party during lockdown

6) yesterday a photo of PM and others at social gathering when country was in lockdown

they wouldn’t dare to impose anything onerous……

We could drone on for hours how boris’ government has thumbed their noses at health measures

i Do think Jan will be bad in the us and Florida probably among the hardest hit states.

im just waiting for optimus prime to show up now

one thing I think we can agree on. if you were planning to buy dvc Omni would make you think twice right?

if there's one continuing standard to the pandemic, it's that politicians tell you to do one thing, then go and do their own thing.

I think international travel could be impacted for awhile. Israel has banned travel to US.

We could drone on for hours how boris’ government has thumbed their noses at health measures

i Do think Jan will be bad in the us and Florida probably among the hardest hit states.

im just waiting for optimus prime to show up now

one thing I think we can agree on. if you were planning to buy dvc Omni would make you think twice right?
I don’t think it will make most people think twice. At this point people should understand that covid is not going away like a miracle any time soon. We will continue to have waves for the next two or so years. With vaccines now available the risk for those who choose to take it is very small from any new waves. I think what we will see is a new variant comes out, the news freaks out, people process it for a day or two and then go about their lives. The majority of the population is not going to accept the continuing cycle of lockdowns, especially the US population.

I don’t think it will make most people think twice. At this point people should understand that covid is not going away like a miracle any time soon. We will continue to have waves for the next two or so years. With vaccines now available the risk for those who choose to take it is very small from any new waves. I think what we will see is a new variant comes out, the news freaks out, people process it for a day or two and then go about their lives. The majority of the population is not going to accept the continuing cycle of lockdowns, especially the US population.
I'm thinking of buying more DVC if the price drops because of omicron, lol.

I'm in Canada (different area than Gisele I'm assuming) and we have a really high vaccination rate in my area (>90% of total pop., close to 100% for seniors) and aren't currently locking down like other areas - just isolating close contacts and some travel restrictions. I guess it's easier to stay open with schools closed for the holidays anyway. It could change I'm sure. Hoping with the high vaccination rates we see less hospitalizations - we have none in the area currently.

Still planning on taking a trip in 2022. The only thing that would stop us really would be an inability to obtain travel medical insurance but it seems like that probably won't be the case.

I think it's a net negative impact on DVC prices in the short term, though a small one. For those of us with small kids not eligible for vaccines, DVC just isn't flexible enough right now. We just cancelled a Jan trip and you can't just easily reschedule for 2-3 months later with DVC. I doubt it'll be a big effect in the long term, but if you have a small kid or are just freaked out about visiting right now, DVC isn't a particularly appealing product.

I think it's a net negative impact on DVC prices in the short term, though a small one. For those of us with small kids not eligible for vaccines, DVC just isn't flexible enough right now. We just cancelled a Jan trip and you can't just easily reschedule for 2-3 months later with DVC. I doubt it'll be a big effect in the long term, but if you have a small kid or are just freaked out about visiting right now, DVC isn't a particularly appealing product.
Sorry that you had to cancel - I know how painful that can be.
But -- If only some folks at BWV or BCV would free up some January time, that would help us out for our wait-list ! :D

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter