• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

In queue for BLT but now thinking OKW?

We love both resorts for different reasons, so I won't give you pros and cons but things that intrigue us about each.

OKW...We love for its quiet and peaceful feel. 2 beds, though we have only stayed in once, are huge, the living area especially. Proximity to DS if that matters is great(SSR is a step ahead in this regard as its closer). We tend not to use buses here as we typically drive, so I love the closeness of parking near room. Turtle Pond area is our 1st choice, but others can chime in on this

BLT...Proximity to MK(can be walked in 10-15 mins, plus security line much shorter), places to eat at CR, monorail ride to 2 other great resorts with great eats, plus boat ride to WL and FW for eats, makes this resort like 5 rolled into one. Buses to HS and AK are timely IMO and monorail(with transfer)to Epcot make transportation fairly easy with out a car. Never stayed in 2 bed here but love the 1 beds, and feel like the living area is very comparable to OKW in size. Would ask for high floor as views are terrific!

IMO, for different reasons, you can't go wrong with either

You can hop the monorail to get to Epcot, but you have to change monorails at the TTC. You'll still bus to DHS and AK. BLT is really nice, but OKW is so much bigger.

Yep.

We didn’t start going to Wdw until my son was 6.5, but given how often we went to the zoo at home, I’m sure we would have spent far more time at AK than at MK if we’d gone earlier. And during that first trip we spent at least equal time (first trip had ten days at Disney parks). So I wouldn’t let walking to MK dictate where you stay.

My kids will probably be over the weight limit for an umbrella stroller, but they will still fit in the jogger.

I wouldn’t take a jogger, let alone a *double* jogger, to Disney.

Someone said your kids are 6? They might not even want a stroller. We brought our Disney-only maclaren umbrella on that first trip and let him decide. It never got unfolded. He just had no interest.

I hate the buses. All of them. But I’m not a huge fan of the monorail, either. The reality of it is just meh to me. I’m a big car renter.

But okw is so nice and pleasant that is rather deal with the buses than stay at a resort that’s convenient to *one* park. Especially if money is an issue.

We have never stayed at OKW, but we have a lot of experience with strollers (all kinds lol) and buses at wdw. I am not sure if you have taken the jogger to wdw or a similar situation. This is not a fun option. It is incredibly difficult to deal with a large stroller and the buses. We tried it all and ended up with umbrella strollers that we rarely brought to the parks. At age six, our kids were walking and if they got really tired we would rent a stroller to get through the rest of the day. 2 of our kids were a year apart, so we tried every double stroller on the market. The double umbrella maclaren was definitely the easiest to deal with. The sit and stand was awful but the kids loved it. The jogger is impossible. We had the city elite double. Huge stroller. Going to wdw is like if you live in a city where you are trying to get around by subway. You are constantly opening and closing your stroller. Pulling the kids out, your stuff... it is difficult.

OKW can suffer from bus noise, depending on unit, it is thus lottery which I find is the worst thing about it. Try and avoid anywhere close to a roundabout.
Other than that, I love the resort.

The one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned here is that a BLT 2 bedroom unit has three full baths and the OKW 2 bed only has two. That said, $1400 is a huge difference. OKW is a lovely resort and one at which we are very happy to stay. Olivia’s is a great restaurant and the bus service is very good.

Just to make thing even more confusing, have you thought about another MK resort, like the WLV. The MK is a short boat ride away, the theming is amazing and the point value is not as low as OKW but certainly less than BLT. Good luck with your decision but whatever you choose you can’t go wrong.

Since you have small children and parents...I would stick with BLT just because you can walk over to MK..that in itself is huge!! I have not stayed there as yet but we hav stayed at OKW...lovely .peaceful, we go there to kick back more ,boat to Dis Springs and golf...and you can always go into the Contemporary and hop on the monorail..to Epcot or other resorts to eat or see the sites..
We own DVC at Boardwalk which we love and spend most of our time there...(our grand kids are adults and we are retired)..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter