In treatment for cancer

jedspad

Mouseketeer
I was recently diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in a lymph node in my right neck. I had been told by 5 doctors that it was just a branchial cleft cyst, benign, nothing to worry about, just take it out and everything will be ok. They have been unable to find a primary source for the cancer so I am taking 3 rounds of CHEMO and 35 radiation treatments. I have been told this is a very tough treatment but I am facing it as positively as I can and I thought what better people to face it with than Disney People, my favorite people in the world. Just would like to hear from others who may have been down this road.

I was recently diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in a lymph node in my right neck. I had been told by 5 doctors that it was just a branchial cleft cyst, benign, nothing to worry about, just take it out and everything will be ok. They have been unable to find a primary source for the cancer so I am taking 3 rounds of CHEMO and 35 radiation treatments. I have been told this is a very tough treatment but I am facing it as positively as I can and I thought what better people to face it with than Disney People, my favorite people in the world. Just would like to hear from others who may have been down this road.

Sent you a PM.

:hug: so sorry you are going through this.

Hang in there and take it one day at a time.

I have thyroid cancer and had to have 45 lymph nodes take out of my neck along with the 2 tumors and had to have a neck dissection too.

The treatment is different from what you are having, but just take it one day at a time.

My faith brings me a lot of comfort.

Hang in there. Blessings to you.

Keep the positive thoughts.:thumbsup2
And yes one day at a time is the way I am dealing with DH's radiation treatments.
We just started week 3 of 5 tonight.
I find great comfort in my faith.
The disboards have been a great emotional release for me.
You are not alone:goodvibes

:hug:

thanks everyone for the encouraging words. I knew that Disney people would help get me thru this. I had treatment 12 of 35 today so over 1/3 of the way done. Yeah! Actually not feeling too bad yet so I will keep hoping and praying. :thumbsup2

pixiedust:pixiedust:I am now over 1/2 way thru radiation and 2/3 done with chemo. Last week was pretty rough with the chemo and nausea but hopefully that is over until next time. Not feeling too bad yet. Taking one day at a time and spend time looking at Disney and planning our December trip to give me something to look forward to. It will be our 30th wedding anniversary and hopefully my I beat cancer trip. Have our dining reservations made and have a couple of good friends joining us. Praying I will feel like doing this

jedspad said:
pixiedust:pixiedust:I am now over 1/2 way thru radiation and 2/3 done with chemo. Last week was pretty rough with the chemo and nausea but hopefully that is over until next time. Not feeling too bad yet. Taking one day at a time and spend time looking at Disney and planning our December trip to give me something to look forward to. It will be our 30th wedding anniversary and hopefully my I beat cancer trip. Have our dining reservations made and have a couple of good friends joining us. Praying I will feel like doing this

Glad to know that you have reached the 1/2 way point in radiation! it is not easy but you will get through it. Your December trip is a goal that you will be able to reach. Maintain your nutrition, stay hydrated and above all, stay positive.

Thinking good thoughts.

You are doing a great job and fighting tough. You should be so proud of yourself. You deserve that trip to Disney for sure. It will be fun for you to plan your trip and have something to look forward to.

I waited a whole year to get back to Disney after my cancer surgeries and it was worth the wait with my dh.

Blessings to you.

Was doing so well staying positive, but the past few days have just wore me down. Had to postpone last 5 radiation treatments due to burns on neck and peeling. Don't know for sure if I will be able to start again Monday or not. Am done with chemo now, so that is something to cheer about. Just tired of not being able to eat and taste anything, everything tastes salty. Have thrush in mouth. I just need a kick in the butt to get me going again and get my spirits up. That's why I am on disboards, not much makes me happier than Disney, other than my family and friends. I am thinking tomorrow is going to be a better day!!!:cheer2:

Tomorrow IS going to be a better day, I can feel it! My mom is in her down-in-the-dumps phase too. She is going into week 6 of both rad & chemo & just feels like total crap & is done with it all. They're not happy with the shrinkage of her tumor so they're sending her to Univ of Pa Hosp for some "boost" rad treatmeants that are done internally. They told her to prepare herself, they are worse than regular rad & chemo combined. So I think she's down about that too.

Have you ever played around on allears.net? Fun site of all thing Disney, I can spend hours on there just looking things up & learning something new. Give it a try if you need to pass some time! Also her on the Theme Parks Board is a section of games, I found myself getting sucked into some of those too, you might find that fun.

Hoping for a good night & better tomorrow for you! Wait what's that song....."there's a great big beautiful tomorrow....." :hug:

Thanks TARAPA. good ideas. I do look at Allears sometimes. I am counting down my days until our trip in December and hoping I am feeling good enough by then, but one way or another we are going to Disney! Just to be there will make me feel better and smile. I will check out your suggestions, I will be praying for your family too and hoping things go well.:grouphug:

Hoping you are feeling better today. I'm new to the thread and want to say how brave you are being. We'll be in Disney in December too and it's a great time to be there. I'm so glad you have that to look forward to when all this is behind you.:hug:

Having a goal trip is what helped me through my last round of chemo and radiation. I know it will help you also. Also keeping a positive attitude is so important. I know if I let myself fall into the "depression well" I won't have enough energy to fight to get out so I try very hard to stay out of it. Some days are harder than others.

Keep fighting and know that there are people who you have never met that have your back.

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

Today is better and tomorrow will be even better as it is my final radiation treatment. There were days I didn't think it would ever get here but it has.I am doing pretty well. Neck is looking better and throat is feeling better. After tomorrow I can focus on rest, nutrition and building my strength back up. Thanks to all of you who have given me words of encouragement and helped me stay positive. Until you are in a situation like this, you just never know how much those things mean. I know it has changed my perspective on so many things. I was already one of those people who believe you need to not put off things for someday as there may never be that day, but this has made me even more aware of that. We have done numerous family vacations with our children and grandchildren and I don't regret a single dollar spent on them. They are priceless. Now to plan the next one,,,,:cool1:

Planning a Disney trip is half the fun - go to it!!!!

I walked into radiation this morning in the same shirt I started this journey in, My tshirt from our 2010 WDW trip with the saying Life is Good with Minnie Mouse ears on the front. I truly meant it too, yes I would rather have not ever had cancer, but I know everything happens for a reason and this has made me a stronger person. I am officially done with all treatment, now to wait about a month and have a repeat pet scan to make sure everything is still clear. I am very hopeful and confident that it will be.:cheer2:

I walked into radiation this morning in the same shirt I started this journey in, My tshirt from our 2010 WDW trip with the saying Life is Good with Minnie Mouse ears on the front. I truly meant it too, yes I would rather have not ever had cancer, but I know everything happens for a reason and this has made me a stronger person. I am officially done with all treatment, now to wait about a month and have a repeat pet scan to make sure everything is still clear. I am very hopeful and confident that it will be.:cheer2:

We are all rooting and praying for you. Keep us posted. Get strong and start planning that next trip.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter