• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Inside Luau?!

Bubbenstein

Mouseketeer
We received a call yesterday from Aulani, informing us the space where the luau is held will be under renovation during our stay (May 6th- 15th) and that the show will be moved inside, to the banquet hall, during this time.

Is it just me, or does this sound terrible? I feel like having a luau inside obliterates the intended ambiance of a traditional luau. We were also informed any elements involving fire will be removed from the show. I'm having trouble wrapping my head around the fact that they were unable to find another space outside to hold the show during renovations before resorting to using a banquet hall.

I know we'll still have an amazing trip but the new luau is something I was very excited for. Now, we'll be finding another show. Any suggestions?

I had been trying to book the Luau-our dates are May 6-13. I spoke to them yesterday too. We decided that we are doing the paradise cove Luau since it is walking distance and we will have a 2 yo and a 4 yo.

I had been trying to book the Luau-our dates are May 6-13. I spoke to them yesterday too. We decided that we are doing the paradise cove Luau since it is walking distance and we will have a 2 yo and a 4 yo.

I think we'll end up going with the Paradise Cove luau as well. I was really excited for Aulani's with the characters being in the show but I can't reason spending the money on it with it being inside. We have a four year old, too. Hopefully, she still likes the show, sans Mickey.

The original lawn used by the Starlit Hui was turned into a pool. There is no other lawn at Aulani. All the ground space is in use.

The original lawn used by the Starlit Hui was turned into a pool. There is no other lawn at Aulani. All the ground space is in use.

The Halawai Lawn is still there, that's where they show Disney movies at night and host the luau. Unless there was an original place where the Starlit Hui was held and then turned into a pool?

I am curious about this. What could they be doing to the area? Possible covered seating?
I will be there in July so I'm sure will be done. Was going to do paradise cove then switched to Aulani.
Now back to paradise let's see reviews after Reno prob back to Aulani lol

The Halawai Lawn is still there, that's where they show Disney movies at night and host the luau. Unless there was an original place where the Starlit Hui was held and then turned into a pool?
There used to be a second lawn. It is now a pool. If they close the only remaining lawn for some sort of maintenance, the only place would be the convention facility.

aulani old.jpg

Here is an old map of Aulani. There were two lawns. The Starlit Hui was performed on the bottom left lawn. Once the final phase opened the Startlit Hui moved to the current lawn. There is no other space to hold the Luau outdoors if the only lawn is closed.

Last edited:

It sounds totally lame. And the fact that they are not discounting the price is ridiculous. Spend $92 and get the basic luau package over at Paradise Cove. The grounds are beautiful, as is the ceremony and show. The food, like pretty much all Luau food (in my experience) is good. All luau food is sort of meh, 3 star to me at this point.

It sounds totally lame. And the fact that they are not discounting the price is ridiculous. Spend $92 and get the basic luau package over at Paradise Cove. The grounds are beautiful, as is the ceremony and show. The food, like pretty much all Luau food (in my experience) is good. All luau food is sort of meh, 3 star to me at this point.
we used an entertainment book coupon for Paradise cove for 25% off adults. Even when the luau was outdoors last month when we were there, and we could see it from our first floor patio, we were so happy we'd ventured over to Paradise Cove instead for the change of location and atmosphere and luau on the beach. I think Paradise Cove gets a bad rap, we had a great night there.

we used an entertainment book coupon for Paradise cove for 25% off adults. Even when the luau was outdoors last month when we were there, and we could see it from our first floor patio, we were so happy we'd ventured over to Paradise Cove instead for the change of location and atmosphere and luau on the beach. I think Paradise Cove gets a bad rap, we had a great night there.

I totally agree. We've had a great time both times we have gone. I love that there are a small handful of artisans/vendors on site, the pre-show activities, watching the amazing sunset from the shore, the ceremony where they present the roasted pig (I can't remember the name), and the actual show itself. And you can't beat the location. I thought the food was good. I've been to many luau's, and I can't say I've ever been blown away by the food. It's typical buffet, and I'm fine with that. You're going for the experience.

We didn't do a luau this past trip, and instead went to Makahiki's for dinner. All things being equal, I would have rather paid for the luau buffet than Makahiki's.

Did they give any idea about when it would be moved back outside? I will be there mid/end of June and was really excited about this. Do you think it is worth doing the Luau inside? Is it the same elements without the fire? I agree, it is hard to imagine an inside luau...

Did they give any idea about when it would be moved back outside? I will be there mid/end of June and was really excited about this. Do you think it is worth doing the Luau inside? Is it the same elements without the fire? I agree, it is hard to imagine an inside luau...

They didn't offer any sort of timeline for the renovation, at least during our call. They said it would still have the characters involved but without the "fire & ice" element of the show. For me personally, I can't imagine paying the same amount for an inside show, I feel like it would have the feel of party entertainment at that point.

I think the main difference is not having the fire knife performance and the pricing, of course. The characters may surprise the guests with an appearance and the scheduled maintenance is from 5/8-6/16/17 according to what I've read. Of course, this is all subject to change.

I think the main difference is not having the fire knife performance and the pricing, of course. The characters may surprise the guests with an appearance and the scheduled maintenance is from 5/8-6/16/17 according to what I've read. Of course, this is all subject to change.

I agree about the fire dancers but I am not going to Hawaii to sit inside for a show, especially one that's cut down on entertainment. Even more crucially, definitely not at this price. What I've seen reported was $125 if I recall?! That's crazy talk for an abbreviated/modified show. Not that Disney probably cares but we will be voting with our wallets since an indoor luau is not something we care to experience, characters or not.

I arrive on the 16th of June so if they start the shows up back outside immediately following the maintaince I will definitely do the Disney luau. If not I will do paradise cove. Does anyone know how fast paradise Cove luau's sell out? A luau is at the top of our must do list so I dont want to miss out...

I arrive on the 16th of June so if they start the shows up back outside immediately following the maintaince I will definitely do the Disney luau. If not I will do paradise cove. Does anyone know how fast paradise Cove luau's sell out? A luau is at the top of our must do list so I dont want to miss out...

I am interested as well how far in advance to buy Paradise cove. Definitely wanted at least orchid package
Kerri

How do you book paradise cove with the discount from the entertainment book? Do you have to call? I don't see a place to apply a discount code online

How do you book paradise cove with the discount from the entertainment book? Do you have to call? I don't see a place to apply a discount code online
Not sure, but I heard (haven't read all the fine print to confirm) that online ressies are non-refundable but phone ressies are. They were super nice when I called :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter