Invest in a Stakeholder Pension for your child

Theresa Hudson

Annoyingly Organised
I have been looking at ways to invest for Dana and I thought I would share this with you.

I pay £25 a month in to a ‘Friendly’ policy, which now I am a wiser person, I know the returns are not that good. Although, I will probably keep this going and I fairly sure I am also going to invest in a Stakeholder pension.

Many people do not know that you can start a Stakeholder pension for your child, to give them a head start in the pension ‘game.’ The contribution does not have to be huge only £20/£25 a month (before tax relief) will be a great start for your child, especially with the miracle of compound interest

Keying in numbers on the Legal& General pensions calculator and I thought some people might be interested in the results:

Paying £100 per month (and not increasing it over the period!) into a stakeholder for a boy aged 5 until his 18th birthday, gives a pension at age 65 of £416 per month (in today's money). At £96 per week that's slightly over the current "MIG" (minimum income guarantee) of £92.50 (which I can't imagine will still be around by the time our children are 65!)

You would never have to bother about the £100 "interest limit" (e.g. gift from parent to child) or CGT or anything else - in fact, the government would be putting basic rate tax relief onto your contributions!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter