Ireland Trip Report **Finally Finished...Sort of p.13**

Hi Guys

Enjoy your trip here in Ireland, from an Irishman who loves Florida I am sure you will all enjoy my homeland

CÉAD MÍLE FÁILTE

a hundred thousand welcomes

Richard:dance3:

Hi Guys

Enjoy your trip here in Ireland, from an Irishman who loves Florida I am sure you will all enjoy my homeland

CÉAD MÍLE FÁILTE

Thanks Richard!
One thing I keep hearing over and over again is how nice the Irish people are!

Hi Guys

CÉAD MÍLE FÁILTE

Thanks for the welcome! I'm really looking forward to seeing your country!

I'm Back!!!! As my niece said as we were leaving the Castle, it truly was "the adventure of a lifetime"! My mom and I have already started discussing the possibility of doing another ABD next summer. And meeting fellow DIS-ers was an extra bonus (shout out to Tigger_TTFN and Clarabelle!) :goodvibes We stayed an extra night in the castle, and arrived back home in Florida last night around 11pm local time (4am Ireland time), and opted to sleep over at my DB and DSIL's house before heading back down to my mom's this morning. I need to get my pictures uploaded and will try to start a trip report soon!

If you have any questions in the mean time though, feel free to ask!

Hi everyone...not sure if anyone is actually interested in reading this but I will post the first couple days of our trip and see how the response is. I don't have the pics yet, but I will get them up in a little while. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
June 15th-16th, 2009 – Dublin Pre-Night

I was getting a little nervous as we headed to the airport, but both flights from West Palm Beach to Dublin were pretty smooth. I wish I was able to sleep more on the way there, but luckily I was running on pure adrenaline so I was functioning fairly well when we landed. After retrieving our luggage, I started looking for our ABD driver to take us to the Westin. And I couldn’t see him. I looked and walked around for a good 15 minutes and then started to get a little panicky. My cell was not cooperating when I tried calling the Westin and ABD either. I ended up going to the information desk, who was nice enough to call the Westin. She told me that it really isn’t her problem since Disney was responsible for picking us up. We decided to just hop in line for a cab because we didn’t know what else to do. While we were in line, a man came up and asked if we were the Wonders10 party and noticed our ABD tags on our luggage – the Westin called and sent the driver out to get us. Yay! They actually had us as coming in on Sunday, not Monday so it was all messed up. But on we were to the Westin.

Check in was a breeze. Our room wasn’t ready yet so we left our bags and headed out to get some lunch. We ended up at Gallagher’s Boxty House, a short walk from the hotel. My mom and Claire shared the Fish and Chips and I had the Chicken Boxty. It was good, but I could have done without all the sauce, which is unusual for me since I typically love sauces. Then we continued walking around and ended up on Grafton Street. Boy do Dubliners walk fast! I wanted to keep up but I was missing everything! We took the obligatory picture with Molly Malone and continued down Grafton before ending up in St. Stephen’s Green. The weather was beautiful and the park was packed with people. We strolled around for a bit, enjoying the weather and scenery before heading back to the Westin. Our room was ready and it was very nice. Two singles and a rollaway, which was pretty much just a twin bed a little lower than my mom’s and I. Perfect for Claire – she loved it. We had a few of the Temple Bar area. This is where our day went down hill. We were starting to feel the effects of our traveling and getting sleepy. My mom and I were on our beds, watching TV while Claire was amusing herself with the TV, her journal, etc. My mom and I fell asleep and when we woke up about 45 minutes later, ready to get some dinner and explore some more, we saw Claire sound asleep in her bed. Nothing would wake this girl up. Not a darn thing. At this point it was around 4 in the afternoon. After about a half hour of trying to wake her up, we gave up and I decided to wander around and see what I could get for a take out dinner. Room service would have been nicer, but I just cannot justify paying 25 euros for a hamburger. Anyway, I still wasn’t sure of where everything was and I didn’t want to get to disoriented so I ended up getting Subway from a 7-eleven type store across from the hotel. It was fine – just like at home. We ate, watched some TV, and headed to bed early, ready for our first full day in Dublin.

Most Favorite Thing – Arriving safely in Ireland!
Least Favorite Thing – Being forgotten at the airport.

June 17th, 2009 – Day 1, Cead Mile Failte

We woke up around 7 to Claire saying her stomach hurt…luckily it was due to hunger and not anything more serious. After showers all around, we headed down to the buffet, which was really nice. Claire’s breakfast for our days there was rice crispies, a bagel, and hot chocolate. I got different things everyday – sometimes just cereal and a croissant, maybe eggs and sausage. It was all good. Oh and as we were coming downstairs we had our first meeting with Francesc, who was great right off the bat – asked how everything was going, what our plans were for the day, and where to meet later that night.

Anyway, our plan for the day was to go to the Dublin Zoo in Phoenix Park. We headed to the tourism center and bought tickets for the hop on hop off busses and after about a 20-minute drive, we got off in Phoenix Park. It was rainy, rainy, rainy on this day and definitely on the cool side, but we were fine with our raingear. The rain there is much different than here at home I thought – more of a heavy mist where we have huge drops of rain. Dublin Zoo is the 3rd oldest zoo in the world and the lion that is used in MGM movie openings was actually born at this zoo way back when. I’m an animal lover so I just love zoos but this was a really great zoo and ended up taking a good chuck of our day to see everything. The rain stopped about halfway through our touring and it was beautiful after that. We got back on our bus and got off at Dame Street with the hopes of finding the Queen of Tarts. It is a tiny pastry shop/bakery that I read nothing but good things about so we just had to try it. It did not disappoint. The three of us shared a huge lemon tart (with tons of meringue) and a slice of chocolate cake. YUM! Then we booked it back to the hotel and relaxed for a little over an hour before our Welcome Reception and Dinner. It had been a great day so far.

It is so funny looking back at that first night because so many families in our group got very close and that first night we were all huddled close together in our families, almost avoiding the other adventurers. I met Clarabelle and her family that night - my 1st DIS-meet! We were ushered into the dining room for a very cute ice breaker game and an introduction by our Adventure Guides, Francesc and Andrew. We ended up sitting with a family who had 3 kids. One of their daughters would become BFFs with Claire and they were always together for the rest of the trip. Dinner was pretty good too – I think I stuck mostly to the steak and potatoes so I don’t remember much of what else they served. It was a buffet though. After dinner, we ventured out towards O’Connel Street, did a little shopping and made the loop around the Ha’Penny Bridge before heading back to the hotel for a good night’s sleep. Oh and after dinner, ABD had left a little surprise in our room – a small carry-on duffel bag and mini binoculars!

Most Favorite Thing – Dublin Zoo
Least Favorite Thing – Not wanting to go to sleep because of the sun being out at 10 and just wanting to see everything

June 18th, 2009 – Day 2, Life on the Liffey

The day started with another great breakfast from the buffet. It was our first day with the rest of the group and our first stop was Dublinia and Viking World. It was interesting to see, but not the highlight of my day. The kids seemed to enjoy it more. Then we walked past Christ church cathedral on our way to Dublin Castle. This was a really neat place to visit and I liked how the castle tour guides matched her spiel to the group, talking about the U.S. connections to Ireland, etc. A beautiful place as well. Back on to the coach for a short ride to the Guinness Storehouse for lunch and a tour. There were chicken tenders for the kids and Guinness stew or ham and cabbage for the rest of us. My mom could have licked her plate clean, she loved it so much, but I’m not a huge stew person. It was good though. We were given tickets to have a pint of Guinness with our meal or after the tour. I think most of the group (the adults anyway) opted to have their pint later on as I didn’t see many at lunch. After the tour, which was pretty informative, we had some free time to head up to the Gravity Bar and/or the gift shop. Most everyone went to the bar for their pint. It took a few minutes to get up there, another 10 to actually get served at the bar and by that point we had barely 15 minutes to drink our drinks, enjoy the views and browse the gift shop. I would have rather had less time at Dublinia in order to have more free time at Guinness.

We all boarded the coach and headed back to the Westin. We had about 10 minutes to run back to our rooms before meeting in the lobby to walk over to see the Book of Kells, at Trinity College which was literally a stone’s throw from the hotel. Great location. It looked like most of our group opted to head over, even though it was optional. There was no wait to get in and once we got inside, we were on our own for the rest of the evening. The book of kells was beautiful but in a way disappointing. I guess I thought it would look bigger? Not really sure. The library though was amazing. I wanted to touch every book. My family and I opted to walk around for a bit before dinner. I believe we were somewhere around Nassau Street(?) before heading back towards Grafton. Claire was really getting hungry and in desperate need of some “American” food, so we opted for Captain America’s, on Grafton St. It was very crowded and the food was decent. My mom and I both had burgers while Claire had chicken tenders and a milkshake (from a coupon we found on the hop on hop off bus tour). Overall a great meal. It was around this time that I headed into a jewelry shop on Grafton and made my first “big” purchase, a silver Claddagh ring. We decided to head back to our favorite pastry shop, The Queen of Tarts, to get some dessert for the room. I got a slice of carrot cake while my mom went for that lemon tart again. Claire opted for a chocolate lollipop from Butler’s Chocolate company. Once back at the hotel, we enjoyed our desserts while packing up our suitcases…we were heading to Killarney the next day!

Keep going!
I wish we had went to queen of tarts! We have to go back!

Please do continue, I am most interested to see how your niece enjoyed the trip, and would love to see pictures.

Keep going! I would love to hear your trip report! I would have been freaking out if there was no one there to pick us up from the airport! It sounds like you see a lot on the tour, did you have a lot of free time?

June 19th, 2009 – Day 3, Celtic Kingdoms

After getting ready and throwing our last minute “getting ready” items in our suitcases, we left them outside our door before heading down to our last breakfast at the Westin. I really enjoyed the breakfast here…good options and everything tasted yummy. My mom especially loved the berries. I’ve never seen blackberries so big before! We had time before we had to meet the group so we ran upstairs one last time to use the restroom…our luggage was already gone. We hoped the luggage fairies had taken them and not someone else! After boarding the bus, we were off to Killarney, but we had some stops along the way. I sat with my mom while Claire and her new friend, E, sat together near us. We had this seating arrangement for the entire trip which worked our great for our party of 3. The scenery was just beautiful and such a contrast from the big city feel of Dublin. Our first stop was in Abbeyleix for some scones and tea! Coffee, hot chocolate and soft drinks were also available. The scones were SO good. I loaded mine with butter and strawberry jam and I’m not even a jam kind of girl. But, man oh man do I wish I had one of those scones now. Then, we hit the restrooms before boarding the bus. All along the way, Andrew and Francesc did an amazing job of telling stories and facts about things we were driving by or were going to be seeing later that day. They were really entertaining. Not long after our scones break, we approached the Rock of Cashel. It was beautiful! And windy! I actually needed help to get into my jacket because the other sleeve kept blowing out of my reach! Did I mention it was windy? Our private guide gave us a tour and history of the Rock and I’m not going to lie, I didn’t really hear much of it. I was in too much awe just looking around and taking it all in.

After exploring the Rock (we had about 15-20 minutes on our own to explore after the tour), we boarded the coach for the 2 minute drive into the town of Cashel. Francesc pointed out some options for lunch – we had a little over an hour I believe. We opted for a small bakery, sandwich shop. Truthfully I wasn’t too hungry, but the food was fine. Ham sammies for my mom and I, chicken sandwich for Claire. We did a little shopping, bought a few postcards and my new favorite candy – the Irish Beanie Bar. Basically it is a chocolate bar with mini m&m type candies in it, but for some reason I just love them. I think I ate 3 over the course of the trip. Should have stocked up…

Anyway, once again, we boarded the “coach” as my niece began calling it and we were on our way to Killarney. Our guides put on a movie – Enchanted, which I forever will associate with our Ireland trip. It was on tv the other day and I got all choked up remembering where I was the last time I saw it. I swear, I get so sentimental sometimes. The movie did make the time fly by, plus the scenery was pretty great and before I knew it, we were pulling into the Killarney Plaza. It was a beautiful lobby and we had a special welcome waiting for us when we got to the lobby! After grabbing our keys, we booked it to our room. I’m not going to lie, I wasn’t blown away by the rooms at this hotel. They were nice and everything, but I expected something, different? Something that matched the modern-ness of the lobby perhaps? But all in all, it was still very nice. I was a little bummed about having to share a bed with Claire. I HATE sharing a bed with people. I like my space. So it was a long 3 nights…I started praying for a 3rd bed in the castle. Would I get it?

Tonight was the adult dinner night and kid’s movie night. While I was finishing up, my mom dropped Claire off downstairs and soon my mom and I were heading down to dinner ourselves. It was really nice getting to chat with the rest of our group in a more intimate and quiet setting. The food was great! Now, I am not a big drinker. Actually I don’t drink much at all anymore. But, on vacation I don’t mind having a cocktail or 2 and I was really surprised that a complimentary glass of wine (or beer or something) was not included with this meal. Just sayin’. After dinner, we picked up Claire who looked like she might need to be carried back to the room. She was exhausted! And it was off to bed! Another great day!

Favorite Thing – Rock of Cashel (if I had to pick just one thing)
Least Favorite Thing – ummm, this is hard. My ham sandwich, maybe?

Ok, I will admit that the thing I hate the most about writing trip reports is uploading the pictures. It takes soooo long. But I also love reading trip reports that have pictures. So I have started my facebook album and supposedly this is a link so that anyone can see them, not just my "friends". Would you mind letting me know if it does work for you all? I'm still uploading more...between my niece and I, we had almost 900 pictures to sort through and many of them were the same. I'll let you know as I add more pictures to the album, too.

Enjoy!

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=124548&id=745979427&l=4a686bade0

Thanks for the photos Shannon! Being a third Irish myself I can't wait to go on this trip one day. My dad's cousin did research and I need to contact her to see what part we are from.

Loving your report! It's so neat to see the same trip from someone else's eyes. AND, I love reliving the adventure again...

Great pics too!

Keep going!
I wish we had went to queen of tarts! We have to go back!

It was yummy! I am still reliving our trip...it was more than I even thought it would be.

Please do continue, I am most interested to see how your niece enjoyed the trip, and would love to see pictures.

My niece loved the trip and actually really enjoyed (and remembered) all the little "history lessons" along the way. We didn't have any meltdowns on the trip or "I miss mommy's" either. She is a great traveler and I would not hesitate for a second to bring her on another ABD.

Keep going! I would love to hear your trip report! I would have been freaking out if there was no one there to pick us up from the airport! It sounds like you see a lot on the tour, did you have a lot of free time?

We saw tons, I think - way more than if we were traveling on our own. But we did have a good mix of free time to eat wherever we wanted, shop, explore.

Thanks for the photos Shannon! Being a third Irish myself I can't wait to go on this trip one day. My dad's cousin did research and I need to contact her to see what part we are from.

Glad you like the pictures! It was really neat driving through some areas and knowing that that is where my dad grew up...very surreal.

Loving your report! It's so neat to see the same trip from someone else's eyes. AND, I love reliving the adventure again...

Great pics too!

Thanks! I feel like I keep getting little reminders (or sometimes little bits of torture) of our trip everyday. Like, the girl next to me at a restaurant was wearing a shirt that had a shamrock and something written on it in Irish. Or tv shows talk about Ireland. My mom has an Ireland day calendar and leading up to the trip were none of the places we were going, but now they are all the places we were at...it was really a trip of a lifetime.

Thanks everyone for reading! I'll have the next installment up later today! :goodvibes

We got our photopass info and DVD today! Well actually it came to my mom's house so it will be awhile until I watch the DVD, but she did call to give me the info so I could go online and see the photos. Now I need to see how many are good enough to buy and if it is worth it...

Oh and she said that the DVD was the same one they showed on our last night...I was under the impression that it would be different. Oh well. Still a ncie memento to have.

We just watched ours. I noticed more this time. Last time I was too busy freaking out that the trip was over.

The photo pass pictures are so expensive. I doubt I will buy many of them.
I am doing a photo book on Kodak.com

One of my favorite pictures on the photo pass is of you standing by a street sign that has a picture of a car going into the water.
Priceless!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter