Ireland Trip Report **Finally Finished...Sort of p.13**

We just watched ours. I noticed more this time. Last time I was too busy freaking out that the trip was over.

The photo pass pictures are so expensive. I doubt I will buy many of them.
I am doing a photo book on Kodak.com

One of my favorite pictures on the photo pass is of you standing by a street sign that has a picture of a car going into the water.
Priceless!

I will probably notice more as well, as the first time I was trying not to burst into tears! Slideshows set to music do not play well with my emotions!

Actually the more I'm looking at the photos, I'm liking the ones I took more! There are a few that I like of us, but on the whole, I'm more pleased I think with our photos. Still tempted to make a photo book though with a mix of theirs and our photos.

One of my favorite pictures on the photo pass is of you standing by a street sign that has a picture of a car going into the water.
Priceless!

That would be across from Monk's Restaurant in Ballyvaughan, County Clare. ;) A lovely spot on the Burren.
This a beautiful but sad song that I love to listen to (sometimes) when I think of Ireland. Very melancholy. Sweet Ballyvaughan

June 20th – Day 4, Cycle of the Kings and Queens

It was getting hard to get out of bed by this point. But we managed. I’m actually surprised by how well Claire did this entire trip. My mom and I would shower and once we were close to being ready, we would start waking her up. First the TV, then the window blinds are opened, etc. Worked pretty well and once she was awake, she cleaned herself up, brushed teeth and got dressed without any extra prodding! I was impressed.

Anyway, it was our first breakfast at the Killarney Plaza and the first thing I noticed was how huge the dining room was compared to the Westin. The food was set up more like a traditional buffet. After giving our room number to the hostess, we were seated. We placed our drink orders (2 coffees and a hot chocolate, our usual) and hit the buffet. I honestly don’t remember exactly what I had every morning here and I had something different every day. But it was mostly good. The scones, however, were not good. At least I didn’t care for them compared to the previous scones we had eaten in Abbeyleix. But the buffet had a good assortment of cereals, fruit, croissants, pastries, and hot items like eggs, sausage, ham(bacon), pancakes which looked more like crepes to me and porridge.

After filling up, we met the group outside for our jaunty cart ride to Muckross House. This was hysterical. Clarabelle – your husband rode with us so I’m sure he could tell you about it too. Our cart was packed! It was my mom, Claire and I, Claire’s friend E with her parents and brother and sister, Andrew the adventure guide, and Clarabelle’s husband. I do not know how we all fit, but we did. Our horse, Chester, was obviously not pleased at having such a heavy load to pull around as he was the slowest horse I’ve ever seen. We were the next to last cart to leave I believe and we were shortly passed by the last cart from our group, plus 2 others. Oh and a lady walking by pushing a stroller. Yep we were moving that slow. And our driver (a jarvy, FYI) was hysterical for the mere fact that none of us could understand a single word he said! But he told tons of stories, anyway. Between the 20 of us in the cart, we could mostly piece the story together. It was just a really fun moment of the trip with lots of smiles and laughter.

So after what seemed like an hour later, we finally made it to Muckross House. After a group shot, we started the tour. No pictures allowed inside which was a shame because it’s gorgeous! Pictures probably wouldn’t do it justice anyway. Then it was time for the bike riding. I opted out of the bike riding, but Claire and my mom went. I took the time for some independent exploring. I followed a portion of the path that the bikers took, but didn’t want to get too far into the trails so I turned back and cut through another path that brought me back behind Muckross House and towards the gardens. It is beautiful back there. By that time I had only about 10 minutes before the bikers returned so I grabbed a bottle of water and waited it out.

Then it was time for lunch! We ate in the gift shop area, which was set up like a cafeteria. We were told to get “whatever we wanted”. Claire got some roasted chicken and potato wedges, plus a cupcake. Now this is a funny story…I ordered the shepherd’s (cottage?) pie. She asked if I would like some veggies on the side so I said “sure!”. I look away for a second and when I look back, she is handing me the biggest plate of food I have ever seen in my life! It was almost embarrassing how much food was on my plate. I had a casserole dish of the cottage pie, a side of carrots, cabbage, a scoop of mashed potatoes (mind you the cottage pie has mashed potatoes on it already), plus a “sprinking” of fried potato wedges. It was all good, but it looked like I didn’t even make a dent in it. My mom ordered the same but didn’t make the same mistake as I did with the “vegetables”. And we got a chocolate macaroon to share for dessert. We had time when we were finished eating to shop and explore the gardens. Since I had already explored the gardens, we opted to shop. I bought a couple books, more postcards, and a small county Clare pin for Claire’s lanyard….and another Irish Beanie bar.

After boarding the coach, the guides said that since it was so nice out and we had time, we would be stopping at Ross Castle. This was neat to see. A high school friend of mine is also Irish, and her family is from Killarney. She told me that the little yellow house next to Ross Castle actually belongs to her aunt and uncle. They used to be the caretakers but now that is just where they live! I think they also run the little refreshment stand there too. I would have liked to go down there and say hello (not that they know me) but didn’t get around to it. We had the option of walking or taking the bus and it seemed a good chunk of the group took the bus back to the hotel. On the drive back, Francesc was going on and on about Murphy’s ice cream. Well, Claire was going to have a full on hissy fit if we didn’t join the group for an optional walk to Murphy’s ice cream, so that was our next stop. My mom and I had the Kahlua coffee and Claire had the cookies (and cream). Yum!

We were on our own for the rest of the evening. Claire was dying to go for a swim so we (Claire and I) donned our bathing suits and swim caps and went down to the pool. I don’t think I have ever swum in an indoor pool before. It was really dark down there. Like swimming at night. But it was refreshing and soon we were dry and dressed and headed down Main Street to get some dinner. We opted to eat at an Italian restaurant that night. Claire had the kids spaghetti Bolognese, which she inhaled. My mom and I shared an entrée salad and individual pizza. It was a really good meal. Although I started noticing a pattern with the servers. They really give you lots of time and they do not bug you at all during your meal. Much different than here were they are pushing you out as quickly as possible. We opted to skip dessert here so we could head to Murphy’s for more ice cream. If you are keeping count, yes, that is twice in one day. I had chocolate whisky, Claire again had cookies and cream, and my mom had the brown bread.

There was a festival going on while we were there and a portion of the road was closed off so a stage could be put up. We really enjoyed watching the dancers and musicians during our stay here…we even ate on the 2nd floor of Murphy’s so could have a clear view of everything. It was crowded down there! Then it was back to the hotel for a good night’s rest!

Favorite thing – jaunty cart ride to Muckross House
Least Favorite thing – not doing the bike portion of the tour

That would be across from Monk's Restaurant in Ballyvaughan, County Clare. ;) A lovely spot on the Burren.
This a beautiful but sad song that I love to listen to (sometimes) when I think of Ireland. Very melancholy. Sweet Ballyvaughan

Yes it was! at the pier.

Beautiful song- thanks for sharing

We opted to skip dessert here so we could head to Murphy’s for more ice cream. If you are keeping count, yes, that is twice in one day. I had chocolate whisky, Claire again had cookies and cream, and my mom had the brown bread.

Yep, we had it twice in one day as well. First we shared the Honey Comb (caramel) and then we shared the Rum and Raisin. Both were REALLY good!

I haven't gotten my DVD or photopass info. I wonder if it will go to my TA first since she has sent me other stuff from ABD? :confused3

I've been dying to get it. Good to know that it should be soon.

Hi Shannon, remember me :wave2: I saw the link in your siggie on V's TR and have just caught up!

So far the trip sounds fantastic, well except the flight changes and the first trip being cancelled. Even though Ireland is so close to me and an old school friend lives near Dublin I've never been. Really must make the effort as it sounds gorgeous :goodvibes

I haven't gotten my DVD or photopass info. I wonder if it will go to my TA first since she has sent me other stuff from ABD? :confused3

I've been dying to get it. Good to know that it should be soon.

Have you received the photopass stuff yet?

Hi Shannon, remember me :wave2: I saw the link in your siggie on V's TR and have just caught up!

So far the trip sounds fantastic, well except the flight changes and the first trip being cancelled. Even though Ireland is so close to me and an old school friend lives near Dublin I've never been. Really must make the effort as it sounds gorgeous :goodvibes

Of course I remember you! How have you been? The trip was amazing...so glad we decided to do it. I am still recovering from my post-Ireland depression.

June 21st – Day 5, Ring around the Kenmare

This morning was the optional walking tour of the Killarney Natl. Park. My family and I opted out of it to catch a little extra sleep, especially after seeing Claire’s demeanor leaving the movie night. We had another decent breakfast and met up with the rest of the group at 10:15 I believe. I was really looking forward to today – we were doing the eco-cruise on Kenmare Bay. It was about an hour to get there and another lovely drive. Once we arrived, we boarded the boat and were on our way. Total, I think the cruise was an hour, hour and a half (??). We saw lots of beautiful scenery and of course some harbour seals! There were refreshments on board, snacks and hot chocolate and the captain let all the jr. adventurers take a turn steering the ship.

After returning to dry land, we drove into Kenmare for lunch and a little free time. As we drove through town, Francesc called out some restaurants that we could go to. Well turns out many of the restaurants were closed! No one really knew why, but Francesc believes it had something to do with everyone celebrating the summer solstice. Luckily we were not too hungry and we stumbled upon a small (and I mean small!) bakery, The Bread Crumb. There was literally enough room to walk in, place your order and walk back out. We ended up getting a croissant, a chocolate croissant and a pizza/pretzel type thing to all share amongst the three of us. Everything was really good! Then we wandered into some of the shops before it was time to board the bus.

Once we returned back to the hotel, we had about an hour before our wine and cheese tasting and irish dancing lessons. We all basically just layed around and relaxed. Once downstairs, Francesc led us into a private room where we could help ourselves to wine and a plate of assorted cheeses. There was also a list to let you know what you were eating. I’m not a huge cheese person, especially just plain cheese. And the crackers had an interesting taste to them, but I did try all of the cheeses and was pleased with most of them. The wine was good too. What I didn’t eat in cheese, I drank in wine! Then it was time for the dancing to begin. I was looking forward to this too because I just love watching irish dancing. To be honest I wish they had done more hard shoe dancing, instead of the soft shoe. but either way, it was all good! All the kids were very eager and excited to partake in the lessons and then it was time for the adults to have a turn. Francesc so kindly volunteered myself to go and apparently I am not that bad in irish dancing. I wasn’t great, but I didn’t make a complete fool of myself. I don’t think anyway…pretty much everyone got up there at some point to do some dancing and it was a really really fun night. I also think it helped bring the group closer together in a way. A bonding moment for all of us. Sigh…:hug:

After the dancing was over and the wine was gone, we headed back down Main Street for dinner. On Francesc’s recommendation we ate at Mac’s. This was sort of a modern diner. It seemed to have lots of locals eating there…and by locals, I mean non-Americans. ;) It was almost a 15 minute wait which I took as a good sign. I opted for another round of fish and chips, Claire had chicken goujons (fingers) and fries, and my mom had the cottage pie. We all loved our meal! I really recommend this place for future ABDers in Killarney. The prices were not bad either. Claire was really wanting some ice cream from this place (which apparently they are semi-famous for) so we got her a cup to go. Totally forgetting the flavor she got…I think bubble gum?

The town was still having their music festival so we stood and watched that for a bit before deciding that we (mom and I) needed dessert too…so off to Murphy’s we went. I had another serving of my chocolate whiskey…totally forget what my mom had. I was too enraptured with my own. We went upstairs to watch some of the performers and then headed back to the hotel to pack up our things. The next day we were heading to the Castle!

Favorite thing – Irish Dancing Lessons
Least Favorite thing – ummm, this is hard so I’m gonna be nitpicky – wait, still can’t do it. Nothing stuck out to me…everything was great!

**My notes from this point on are slim to none and memory is fading with the details so bear with me if the rest of the report isn't quite so detail oriented!

Still haven't gotten either...my TA is on vacation until Friday :confused3

That is so strange! Definitely give her a call, or even ABD. I noticed on mine that the pictures "expire" on Aug. 8th...I'm just guessing that is for everyone on this trip.

Francesc so kindly volunteered myself to go and apparently I am not that bad in irish dancing. I wasn’t great, but I didn’t make a complete fool of myself. I don’t think anyway…

DH and I were amazed at how good you did!!! We were like "Wow, she's got it down"

Question on the photopass...does it give you the option to purchase a cd with all the pics like it normally does?

Shannon is being modest -she really picked up on the dancing very quickly -we all thought she had some training.

Hi everybody!

I just wanted to let you all know that I have uploaded all the pictures I'm going to upload to my facebook account...the link is on pg. 11. Anyone can view it...you don't have to be on facebook. I have tons more (about 800 more actually) but I just don't have the patience to upload all of them.

Clarabelle - I didn't forget about you! I'll email you some pictures from the Medieval Banquet night. :goodvibes

I'm heading to WDW on Thursday for a short getaway, so I'm gonna try to get the last couple days of the trip report finished.

Thanks for the trip reporting and the photos!

We're heading to Ireland-ABD in September. Your report is getting us more and more excited for the adventure.

June 22nd – Day 6, Limericks and Leprechauns

Part 1

We woke up today and started getting ready to leave Killarney. I had really enjoyed Killarney, more than I expected and was sad to leave. But I was so looking forward to arriving at Dromoland!

This morning I started having some wardrobe issues. It was warm out. Really warm out. Much warmer than I ever expected Ireland to be. I had planned my wardrobe around cooler days, similar to our “winter” here in Florida. But there must have been a heat wave, because if it felt like it did in Ireland in Florida, I’d be wearing a sundress, shorts and t-shirt, sandals. Heck I might have even gone to the beach. So needless to say, I was not too jazzed about having to wear jeans every day and long sleeve tops, but I managed. My tip for you – pack a couple outfits that you don’t think you will need, because you just might!

Anyway, we finished getting ready, put our luggage outside our door and headed down to breakfast. Once our bellies were full, it was almost time to grab a seat on the bus and before we knew it, we were on our way. Our first stop was Inch Beach…it was so pretty! The sand felt so good between your toes. Sand down here is not that soft, plus it’s usually hot and burns your feet, and the shells scratch them up. But Inch Beach was great. The water definitely was chilly but not quite as cold as I expected it to be. We had about an hour to explore the beach. The jr. adventurers played games and hunted for crabs – there are tons! And basically just walked up and down the coast soaking it all in. I could have spent a lot more time here. Claire said it was her favorite part of the trip. Leave it to a native Floridian to travel all the way to Ireland and say her favorite thing there was the beach. Next we drove to Adare for some lunch and free time. Francesc again gave us some recommendations for restaurants, and this time they were actually open! We chose to eat a small pub very close to where we were dropped off. I am forgetting the name. Aunt somebody’s? Dirty something? I don’t know. Anyway, apparently the rest of our ABD group had the same idea because they got slammed! And there was just one waitress working the whole restaurant. Poor girl…I was stressed just watching her. But she did an awesome job serving everybody. I was pleased anyway – she earned her tip and then some. As for our meals, I had (surprise!) fish and chips, Claire had chicken fingers, and my mom had something Irish-y, like stew or cottage pie. But I can’t remember what now. She liked it though. After paying for our meal, we browsed the shops and bought a few more souvenirs (and another beanie bar) at the adare gift shop. Then it was time to head on the bus. I decided to have a little piece of my beanie bar and when I opened it – it was white chocolate! I HATE white chocolate. Talk about disappointing. Claire was happy though because she loves it, so she got this beanie bar. Makes up for the times I wasn’t too willing to share mine (milk chocolate) with her. Then we had about 2 hours to get to Dromoland. Andrew and Francesc put on Darby O’Gill and the Little People in keeping with the theme of the day. I tried to pay attention to the movie, but my goodness, it was boring. Luckily I had my iPod to keep me occupied, not to mention the beautiful scenery outside our window. Soon we would be arriving at the Castle…

I was wondering if they would play Darby O'Gill and the Little People. I watch that every St. Patrick's day. I can't wait to do this trip one day. It sounds amazing!

June 22nd – Day 6, Limericks and Leprechauns

We chose to eat a small pub very close to where we were dropped off. I am forgetting the name. Aunt somebody’s? Dirty something? I don’t know. Anyway, apparently the rest of our ABD group had the same idea because they got slammed! And there was just one waitress working the whole restaurant. Poor girl…I was stressed just watching her. But she did an awesome job serving everybody. I was pleased anyway – she earned her tip and then some.

Aunty Lena's, I'm guessing. We ate there also in Adare. Our guides suggested we stay away from it but as the bus drove by they both said 'Oh, it looks like it's been cleaned up a bit.' So Mindy and I tried it and enjoyed the place. It was fun because there was a Wedding party in there for their 'pre-ceremony' drinks ... only in Ireland. Everywhere else waits until after the ceremony for drinks ... they did it before! Anyway it was fun to see everyone dressed and the ladies had some wild hats on too.
We still were served in good time and hot meals even though they had the big party going on.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter