• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Is August that bad?

Following along here - We are from Philly going 8/17 - 8/26. Haven't been in August and our last trip to WDW was in April of 2015 when the kids were still in pre-school and we didn't mind taking them out. Decided to go in August as Spring break would be the only other real option without the kids missing school, and the crowds and prices seem over the top at that time of year. I figured as many people said here that Philly can be so hot in August it can't be much worse.

I was there is August and October last year and the weather and crowds were equal.

We get up and go, then break for the pool and nap and head out again in the late afternoon/evening.

Have not read the other replies but as a Floridian... YES ! Lol no way on the planet would I go in August.. the heat and humidity alone is literally a killer.. I have lived in Florida my entire life and still can’t do disney in August ... uggg

I've been to WDW ONCE in summer, hades isn't that hot. Subsequently for the past 30+ years we only go in the fall or winter.

August is pretty awful heat wise but I’m going back for 12 days this summer and doing it. Just can’t go out midday IMO. The longer you can go the better.

When I was younger, my family would always go in August and the weather was gross. It was super hot, and humid and we always ended up up getting stuck with a hurricane! lol. I mean it's still Disney which is great but when I was able to go on my own with my then boyfriend- now husband I told him I never wanted to go in August again.

We went to Disney last year after Labor Day, and I thought it was hot, but not as bad as I was expecting. I was mentally and physically prepared for it. We had cooling cloths, spray fans, and carried water with us constantly. We are going for a week after August 15 this year. I am wondering if the heat/humidity will be equal. Does anyone know if September after Labor Day last year was as hot as normal or if the hurricane made it less so?

Also, after August 15, would you say that crowds are Crazy, Heavy, or Moderate?

I’ve been in August and yes it is sweltering, but so is everywhere else outside of New England. I’ve also been in October and found it to not be much different than August. The only month I’ve found the weather in WDW to be pleasant is January. Heat and humidity aside, it’s WDW! You’ll find plenty to enjoy no matter when you go.

The end of August is not bad as far as crowds,the later in the month the better.As far as the weather it can be hot,humid and rainy or hot,humid and not quite as rainy.I'm a Floridian and I barely go to the theme parks this time of year,waterparks are a must,they're the only place that wards off the heat.Visiting a theme park that's open after the sun goes down is not a bad idea either.

We only go in late August because of low crowds and since we love the waterparks the heat is not an issue.

Another Minnesotan here... chiming in.
For the past 40+ trips I've been on, they have all been at the end of August. (well, except for that one year that the pilots were on strike and then we went Mid-Sept) And honestly, yeah it's hot. Now we get heat and humidity here in MN too, so that makes us sort of used to it. But our plan was if we got to hot, we went inside where there was AC, got something cold to drink (or ice cream to eat) and took a break from it. Heck, the last time we were down, our DD was 6. She wanted to stay at EPCOT all day. And we did. It was probably about 98 degrees all day with 70+% humidity. We made it around the park and then we were going to go back to the hotel and relax for a while before heading back. She had a fit that we were leaving. So we went out and got on the monorail. Just rode it around and around. Well, she fell asleep! So we stayed on for about an hour and then woke her up. It totally recharged her batteries. She was then good until we left the park after Illuminations.
As far as shoes, I wear a lightweight pair of New Balance tennis shoes/sneakers. I have found the ones that are sort of the "mesh" style work really well. They allow your feet to be cool, but give you the support for walking.
And yes, lots of water.... lots of sunscreen. Even if it's cloudy. I made the mistake one year of saying" Oh we got the kids lathered up, but I'll get to it in a few minutes." BIG MISTAKE! I was Sebastian red for about a week. (man did it hurt). Crappy thing was, I never tanned. Still Casper white.
The afternoon showers were always my favorite. And yes, you can almost set a watch by them. Every day between 3-5pm. So that is the time we usually had some sort of meal... just to get inside and let the storm subside. Right after a storm is a great time to be out. Still cool enough from the temps dropping, and no humidity, or very little. If we got stuck outside during a storm, we had some cheapo ponchos from the dollar store in our packs. I think during the 16 days were were there last time, there was only 1 or 2 rainshowers where we actually had to put one on.
So we're going the end of August again this time, and we love that time of year. Yeah, the heat and humidity can stink big time (and so can it stink from everyone sweating) but hey, I'm on vacation, at my favorite place in the world.... I'm not going to let it stop me!!!!

~D

The last time we went to Disney was in January we stayed at the Polynesian and loved it. We are now considering going in late August, but are very concerned about both crowds and heat. Is August really that bad? It would be a considerable savings for us to go in August which is the only reason I’m considering it.

I really feel like answering this question will only provide very subjective answers. I don't think August crowds are that bad at all, we've been in June, July and mid August (around the 10-17 most dates) and we've always been pleased with our park visits and never feel like it's too crowded. However if you compare it to a January visit, it will likely be higher crowds.

As far as heat, it's a tough call. Depends on your tolerance, where you're from and your park touring plans. We're from the south and during most of our summer visits, it's hotter and more humid where we live than in Orlando but don't get me wrong, it's still HOT and STEAMY (especially right after it rains, don't count on it cooling down after a rain shower!) We do RD and make the most of early am hours before the intense heat of midday to late afternoon and we almost always do a lunch ADR or plan to eat where we know we can get an indoor table with AC. There's nothing worse than being hungry and hot and then having to eat a meal outside. We then take a resort break, swim, shower, nap whatever and come back close to sundown. We also will do more window shopping in the summer to get out of the heat, we love main street MK in the summer since all the stores are connected and you can walk them all from inside and never set foot in the sun. We do the water spray fans around our necks, we wear wicking clothes and we drink a ton of water to avoid heat exhaustion and kid meltdowns. It's all 100% doable just gotta have a plan.

Going last week of July. Anywhere in the country can have a heatwave in July and August. I've seen 100 in the north east before with 100 humidity, and it being 90 in Florida. In the end its summer in the US. I’d rather be at Disney world for it then where I’d be otherwise.

It’s my first time going that time of year. I expect it to be very hot. Some rain in the afternoon and amazing at the same time

Then again weather can be cooler on the days you arrive. Who really knows? Anything is possible

I see people who only choose other times of year based on low rain chances and better weather, yet when they go it turns out with huge storms and colder then average.

In the end it’s up in the air

Just enjoy it.

Also, forget water. GATORADE is your best friend in hot weather. Keeps me much more hydrated then water ever has

Going last week of July. Anywhere in the country can have a heatwave in July and August. I’d rather be at Disney world for it then where I’d be otherwise.

It’s my first time going that time of year. I expect it to be very hot. Some rain in the afternoon and amazing at the same time

Then again weather can be cooler on the days you arrive. Who really knows? Anything is possible

I see people who only choose other times of year based on low rain chances and better weather, yet when they go it turns out with huge storms and colder then average.

In the end it’s up in the air

Just enjoy it.

You said it right, sweating your buns off at Disney is better than a picture perfect 75 degree day most anywhere else.

I have gone in late August and love it!

Crowds can be moderate to high, and can somewhat stifle enjoyment; but with being at the parks at Ropedrop and doing FP+, we are able to do almost everything we want to.

The heat can be brutal, however it usually cools down in the evening. The pool break is essential!

I would not worry too much about crowds or heat, and it is a time of year I recommend. With planning, crowds can be worked around; and while the heat is bad, it is NOTHING like say late June when it is unbearable.

We have gone in August and September several times. All I can say is hot and sweaty! I don't mind it being hot but it's the humidity that gets me.
Last year we went in mid August and it was cloudy all week and that made it so much nicer.
We still have fun and we are going the end of July, beginning of August this year.
The best thing to do is try to stay out of the midday heat. Go to the parks at opening or at night. If you stay all day make the middle of the day for table service meals or air conditioned shows that will give you time to cool down and take a break.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter