Is Aulani Loud?

JM23457

Registered
We want to go, but upon careful reading of tons of reviews, I'm getting a little worried about the potential noise level at Aulani. I have an ear disorder, so excessive noise is very problematic for me.

I'm primarily concerned about noise at the pool and on our balcony (I already plan to skip the Luau). I've read that some balconies open to live music, outdoor movies or the Luau. Any tips on which room type (standard size, either resort or DVC) will be the quietest? I'm happy to forsake a view (or pay more) if it also means avoiding noise.

Also, is there music constantly playing at the family pool & lazy river? If so, how loud is it? Is it pop music, or atmospheric background music? I'm a single mom traveling with my son, so we'll only use the family pools, not an adult-only pool. We'll use the beach, too, but if the family pools always have loud music, this is probably not a good resort for us as we like to spend a few hours at the pool each day.

Should someone with ear issues just skip Aulani entirely, or is it not too bad? I'm referring mainly to recorded or live music amped up by speakers. That's the biggest source of noise at resorts in my experience, not people or kids talking or playing, which I don't have a problem with.

Thanks for any guidance or help.

Last edited:
I don’t have any ear/hearing issues, But I didn’t find Aulani loud at all. I’d compare it to any of the WDW deluxe or moderate resorts (I’ve only stayed two nights at one value so can’t really speak to those). Just move background level music. They do have some short character pool party things that might be a little louder, but you could easily move out of the area for half an hour if it bothered you. The evening music, while amplified, was just a duet, so still pretty low volume considering. Other than kids squealing (and the occasional mom or dad who found that volcano slide faster than expected lol), I think it’s a nice relaxing level of sound. And of course it’s a very short stroll to the beach which is very quiet as well.

Also, I guess I should’ve said, we were on the 5th floor by the volcano, and out on our balcony neither the sound from the slide nor the band in the evening was loud at all. Just didn’t want you to book an island view for that reason.

IMO, you'd want to request Waianae tower facing the Four Seasons. Ewa tower has rooms that will overlook the pool, convention center courtyard, or possibly the luau lawn. The rooms in Waianae will primarily face the pool or the Four Seasons, and I would think the Four Seasons side would be the quietest option. Its also close to the parking deck, so rooms facing the parking deck will likely be on the quiet side, save for car noise.

I don't recall loud music around the pool, so its background noise if anything. There is a deck in front of Ama Ama with lounge chairs that is away from all the noise of the pool, including the music. Its a secluded area that stays mostly empty throughout the day. It would be easy enough to make that your home base and then walk back and forth to the pool, and would give you the freedom to move away from noise as you need to. The beach is also mostly quiet and had no music at all.

There’s also the adult only section, it’s definitely quieter than other areas.

So I have not had an issue with sensitivity to noise/stimulation until we arrived at Aulani the first time. This is when I discovered that I may have some sort of inner ear imbalance after flying. Initially I didn't understand what was happening to me but I was really feeling hyper-stimulated upon arrival at the resort and I felt a little panicky at all the noise. I have never experienced this before but it was so loud and just a lot of activity everywhere mid afternoon right at a time when a huge bus full of school kids from Japan were checking in. I felt we had made a mistake in going there so I called and cancelled our reservations and we booked next door at the Four Seasons but because we had already unpacked we decided to stay the night and get some rest.

The next day I was feeling much better and being rested helped, so we had breakfast and walked around and found some quiet spots. We decided to stick it out at Aulani knowing that there are some quiet spots (and yes, with kids). In the end we were glad we stayed. We were there with a 4 year old and we liked the chairs on the deck in front of Ama Ama. When we would go over to the pool, we just walked over to swim and then would go back to our chairs. We also liked the chairs near the entrance to the main pool that face out at the ocean but those are the first to go in the morning and you need to be out there sitting on one of those before the pool opens to claim one.

As far as the noise in the rooms. We had a pool gardens view on the second or third floor and with the patio door open you can hear a little bit of music/activity but mostly sounds like waterfalls. With the door closed it was very muffled. We really liked that location.

The second time we returned to Aulani it was MUCH more peaceful during the time we were dropped off and checked in. I didn't really have any issues with the noise level at all on that trip during mid-sept.

we liked the chairs on the deck in front of Ama Ama. When we would go over to the pool, we just walked over to swim and then would go back to our chairs. We also liked the chairs near the entrance to the main pool that face out at the ocean but those are the first to go in the morning and you need to be out there sitting on one of those before the pool opens to claim one.
Shhhhh you’re giving away my two favorite chair spots too ! 😬

The only Area we find quite loud is the water spray play area for kids

I agree, it was a little hectic in that area. There are a bunch of loungers, the stand to pick up towels, and an entrance to the lazy river, and an entrance to the Menehune play area clustered in that one spot. The other area that was a little overwhelming was the bottom of the staircase leading to Makahiki. Other than that, I thought the resort was generally peaceful.

If you can handle the average noise level while walking around a Disney park, you should have no problem at Aulani.

If you can handle the average noise level while walking around a Disney park, you should have no problem at Aulani.
Well, I sometimes have to wear earplugs in the Disney parks due to the background music. That's why I asked about the music level at Aulani's pools.

Last edited:
@JM23457 I don't remember the background music near the pool being very loud. It's more so the ambient noise created by 100's of voices chattering at normal speaking volume.

There are musicians playing near the back of Ama Ama around sunset and that's the loudest music I can remember.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter