• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Is everything normal in your neck of the woods?

Local high school cancelled its free preview of the spring musical for senior citizens today.

One elementary school in Pittsburgh cancelled school today because a student may have been exposed to the virus from a relative. Still no confirmed cases in the area.

I have election worker training today (new machines in our area). I wonder if there will be any virus effects on our April 28 primary.

Nothing has been cancelled around me. There's even an open house on our elementary school campus that could draw 1,000+ people. I'm kind of shocked that it has not been cancelled, especially after the president recommended social distancing.

Our county health department is hosting a town hall today (virtual) so maybe the school district will change their course if the recommendations change. So far the health department is saying risk is low to residents.

I warned DW that we may have to make some tough sacrifices in the near future.

We usually only buy paper towels and paper napkins that have prints on them. If things get worse we might be reduced to buying plain white. :scared1:

As for toilet paper, I bought a cheapie pack at Walmart about a year ago as a gag. 4 rolls for 88 cents. Even a child would be able to crush the roll easily with its little hands. I think it's in the garage somewhere.

Update:

My son has been banned from returning to college for at least 3 weeks. He will be taking classes remotely at home.

My daughter works as a music therapist for hospice. She travels to nursing facilities. At least two of them have been closed to outside nursing/therapy/etc, so she will not be able to visit some of her patients.

There is one confirmed case in the county. So far.

So far everything here is fairly normal. Local university has cancelled face-to-face classes, but that is about it.

I do have to say, it does feel a little "tense" when going out in public. People seem to consciously be keeping their distance from others. It feels like if you so much as sneeze, you might have a mob with pitchforks coming after you (or perhaps stampeding away from you).. ;)

Northwest GA

All is good here. Although we have heard there are a couple cases in the county next to us. It is business and school as usual.

They don’t do this but once the guy who dropped my bag off reeked of cigarette smoke and my bag of food did too. It was absolutely disgusting.

If you don't like bad smells you should avoid the chicken factories where they manufacture chickens. Talk about skank.

Update from Ireland
My country has effectually gone into lock down. We have less than 50 cases and a population of approx 4.5 million.

The following measures will come into effect from tomorrow until 29 March:
  1. schools, colleges and childcare facilities will close from Friday 13 March
  2. indoor mass gatherings of 100 people or more and outdoor mass gatherings of more than 500 people should be cancelled
  3. all State-run cultural institutions will close
  4. Where it is possible to work remotely people should do so. Public transport will continue and shops will continue to remain open.
  5. Bars, hotels restaurants etc are taking steps to limit capacity and to space out tables so people are not as close together
I have spent the day arranging to work from home for next week and I have enough food and household supplies for 2 weeks.

Take back my normal comment. We have one case as well as a family who came from Italy and has possibly been spreading it upstate for 2 weeks. No one would test them.
As a result, we closed all schools and they're going online on Monday. Crazy.

Northwest Ohio - our local college has extended their spring break another week, then going to online classes. In our town Walmart, Dollar General, Rite -Aid have no toilet paper or hand sanitizers. Our girls high school basketball team made it to state tournaments in Columbus but the game is closed to all spectators except immediate family. Our 7th/8th grade girls team won state and were going to Nationals in Indiana on the 26th, but that tournament was cancelled yesterday. I work for an agency in the DODD (Department of Developmental Disabilities) and all Special Olympics activities, county recreational and sporting events have all been cancelled through the end of March.

Northeast Ohio as well -- Our school district has cancelled all activities that are out of the district and only staff and students allowed in the schools. The rec centers are cancelling activities as well as some rec sports activities that are in the next month. I had a baby shower to go to the weekend. I was dreading it and did not want to go. It is now cancelled because the hall cancelled.

Boston suburb...our governor declared a state of emergency a few days ago, and since then things have started to escalate (although local public health officials have been ringing the bell for a while).

Obviously the # of cases is going up around here, although still very difficult to get tested. Just about all of my children's activities/tournaments/events have been canceled. I just received a call/email regarding a technology survey for remote learning. The District said that they're waiting on the state for guidance, but I suspect schools will be closed soon. Now needing to more manage my kids' increased anxiety, now that all of their "normal" routines are changing. I'm just being clear, straightforward but re-assuring, emphasizing good hygiene practices, social distancing, etc. Not panic but information and preparation...

I just heard there is a family in my small town that is symptomatic, the parent attended Biogen conference and they recently returned from a hot spot in I believe Italy, no self-quarantine so kids attending school while possibly symptomatic. There's also a student at my sister's school (teacher) waiting on test results.

So, I did some re-stocking this week of supplies, OTC meds, cleaning products and the like. Definitely picked over but still some availability. My son has asthma (underlying condition) so my main concern is that my pediatrician's office does not appear to have the ability to get a child tested at their discretion - still a lot of red tape. I'm going to call the office now to see if I can get additional supply of his prescription meds. There is the concern that it may stress the health care systems so trying to be pro-active in terms of managing any mild-symptoms at home and such.

My daughter just asked me if we're still going to WDW in April...I'm guessing no but keeping hope alive, I suppose...

I just went to visit mom at the senior retirement community she lives in. I had to take her to have a root canal late yesterday and I wanted to make sure she wasn’t having pain any more. All visitors denied access as of 9 am this morning. I have been stocking her unit with back ups for all the items she typically uses.

So far here in AZ, things are ok. Of course, there's no TP to be had anywhere. Local grocery store was down to a few containers of flushable wipes early this morning. No bleach available either, but if you want organic/green cleaning products, there's plenty of those available. :-)

My kids' spring break is scheduled to end tomorrow, with school starting up again on Monday. So far, it's all systems go for that and we have not received word from school about any closure or switching to online instruction. ASU and UofA have switched to online instruction for the next few weeks, though.

At my work place, my boss basically told us that if you can work from home, you should and do not come into the office. Training classes are switching to a webinar-based format instead of in person.

We are still tentatively planning on driving out to Disneyland for Easter weekend, but we don't have any hotel reservations or anything (staying w/friends), so all of that can be changed & rescheduled last minute if we need to.

All nursing homes have switched to a strict no visitors policy, which I think is wise.

It had been relatively normal here, even with a couple of cases, but I just went to Target to get cat food and the place was mobbed. My mother went to costco and it is insane and they are out of gasoline. I guess it's full-on crazy mode now. Time to join a theme-gang!

Everything is so haphazard here - every single major sporting event is canceled, some cities are canceling St. Patty parades but some aren't. Some schools are completely shut down but our district isn't even limiting activities. It's really confusing when there isn't one coherent message being sent.

My neighborhood Walmart was hopping. Had to park in the boonies. Had toilet paper but very little Kleenex. No Clorox wipes or rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer. I think we will hunker down for awhile.

Things are starting to go off the rails here in NM. We got our first 3 cases (people traveling), and the governor did the state of emergency thing. Some of our big events have been cancelled, as well as some of the kids sports games. People are panic buying things like TP and what not. That's about it though, we're still in the air about kids schools/working from home, etc.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter