Is it a Good/Bad idea to own at 3+ Resorts?

tcb1

Earning My Ears
Want to start this out by expressing a sincere thanks to all of the members (& moderators) who spend time posting to these boards & patiently answering newbie questions...even though you've probably typed the same answer many, many times :) I've been a lurker for several months & wanted to say that without many of you, my family would not have joined DVC. It took me a while to pick up the lingo, but I hope that I can share some of the insights I've gained with new lurkers in the future. I'm sure there are a lot out there like me. Thanks, again!

Here's our current situation: My family just joined at DVC this past Nov. I'd thought about it for years, but it wasn't until we visited WDW this past fall with our daughter (who's almost 2), that I felt like it was the right time. It's a big commitment, but seeing how much she enjoyed it (& how much I did watching her), I knew we'd be spending many years at WDW. We also have our 2nd baby due at the end of Apr, so there's no btter place for the 4 of us to spend time as a family. Our home resort is SSR & we also purchased a smaller add-on at BWV at the same time we closed our initial contract. We wanted to ensure we'd be able to stay at BWV every other year or so, while also being able to stay at the other properties. If I had to pick a favorite property when we joined, I would have said BWV (we'd stayed there once before, but hadn't stayed at any other DVC properties). The extra years at SSR is probably what pushed us to buy there since our children are so young, but still wonder if we should have purchased all our points at BWV.

Since then, addonitis has caught on...I used to wonder what the heck you guys were talking about...now I know :-) We waitlised for a small add-on at BCV & that has come through. We haven't closed yet, but need to make a decision soon. I've always wanted to spend time at SAB, especially now that we have kids.

Here's my question: Is it crazy to own at 3 properties? Or 4 for that matter? Or would it be wiser for us to add on at BWV & take our chances at staying at the other properties? Frankly, I wouldn't mind having a small add-on at VWL & maybe even AKV too. The rational is that I do not want to always have to struggle/waitlist/compromise to stay at these resorts. Does that make sense at all? Are there any pros/cons to owning at multiple properties? Have you been able to travel & stay at the places you want without having to buy-in at each one?

I was a little apprehensive to even ask this, but didn't know where else to turn. Thanks in advance for your advice on this, but mostly for the insights over the last few months. We are very happy & excited to be new members! But wouldn't have done it without the disboards :-)

Well, if it's crazy, then we are crazy, too. We have most of our points at OKW, but we added on 100 each at VWL and BCV when they opened. We used to live in Montana and loved going to Yellowstone. When they opened VWL, I told my husband that I wanted points there. He said, sure, as long as he got BCV points when and if they started selling there. They did, so we did.

We use our VWL to get Thanksgiving or Christmas time. We bank, borrow and use to get up to 300 points every three years. And the home resort advantage pays off.

We use our BCV points to stay there every so often because my husband and son love SAB. And we again, get the home resort advantage to do so.

No it's not, as long as you use your points, don't lose them.

We own points at BWV, VWL and BCV. We didn't buy points at these places with the intent of only using our points there, but because at the time we bought more points that was what they were selling with incentives. Now, I have used them to our advantage. VWL at Christmas, BCV in the summer, and BWV for F&W festival. It isn't hard managing the points, now that I can see what I have online, it's great!

Welcome to the Dis!!

Our plan is very similar to Deb and Bill's...we bought OKW first then added on at BCV and HH for the 11 month booking advantage using banking and borrowing. It has worked great so far, I haven't lost any points in 8 years of ownership.

All due respect to those who have multiple resorts, but I think I'd advise caution for new members getting caught up in addonites. It's a very addictive disease, and a costly one.

What you need to consider is how you will use your points. Buying points just to stay at a resort you've never tried is a more costly and long term way of avoiding a possible wait list. What if you bought those BCV points, got to there and found you didn't like SAB? Then you'd end up throwing those points back into the 7 month pool and using them to stay at another resort, or reselling the contract perhaps at a loss.

For me the benchmark has been, do I want to stay at that place every year/two/three years? If so, then it's worth it to add-on.

I'm on the fence about an AKV add-on simply because I've visited but never stayed there. I'm not yet sure it's a place I want to come back to repeatedly.

We bought our initial 150 points at VB, then added 100 at BCV, then 100 at VWL. A year or so after we bought VB, they announced BCV and I knew I had to own there. Then after staying at VWL (which I didn't think I'd care for from looking at the pics), I knew I had to own there for the 11 month window.

While I have had no problem mixing my points for our stays, I've had to use the waitlist a couple of times. When we took kids and grandkids to BCV, I booked weekdays at the 11-month window with all the 100 points at BCV, and also booked at VWL at the 11-month window using those points. I didn't really want to move half-way through our stay, so at the 7-month window, I was able to get additional rooms at BCV and I cancelled the VWL.

So it can be done with some strategizing.

I own at 3 resorts. Kept adding on for various reasons. Now I have 450 points.
It's very tempting, but I can't justify buying more since I don't want to rent or lose any unused points. So I'll just trade my points for AKV at the 7 month window.

Add me to the crazy list. 530 points total at 3 different resorts. I'm fairly confident I can stay at whichever one I want to using my 11 month booking window.

It just happened that way.....
I love the idea that I will always have my 11 month window at my three top resorts....
I love VWL and SSR, but the wife and kids love BCV's.......

IMO, one of the advantages in having multiple contracts is that each "home" is totally unique, and therefore, by alternating trips home, it makes every vacation unique!:thumbsup2

we started out with ssr, added bwv, and now akv. now the kids can continue to go and take my ashes with them for years after i am gone.:cool1:

we have never stayed at ssr because we discovered bcv and so far have been able to get res. there. bwv is pretty new so end of dec. 07 will be our first trip home to bwv. i thought i was finished until they announced akv, and i got so excited i had to belong there, name on the founders list and all. we have stayed at akl and loved it just as much as we do bcv. i guess i will be broke again after the contemp. villas go up for sale. :dance3: probably going for 4

i am really just a disney freak so i have to help them pay for all of those buildings. they must all have a little bit of pixiedust: ::yes::

the only problems with multiples is uy. be careful of that. it can still work but is a little more difficult. and you would probably lose a point or two now and then.

WELCOME TO THE DISpixiedust:

I just closed on my 1st 150pts at WLV....
I havent made my first ressie yet.....I already can see
the addonitis coming my way...

As long as you stay on top of your points and dont lose any
I think it is great idea....

Guarantees where you want to stay;)
And it is easier to sell small contract....not that we would:lmao:

Anyway....Follow your disney dreams:goodvibes
Kerri
edit....wow that was my 1000th post:)

Here's my question: Is it crazy to own at 3 properties? Or 4 for that matter? Or would it be wiser for us to add on at BWV & take our chances at staying at the other properties? Frankly, I wouldn't mind having a small add-on at VWL & maybe even AKV too. The rational is that I do not want to always have to struggle/waitlist/compromise to stay at these resorts. Does that make sense at all? Are there any pros/cons to owning at multiple properties? Have you been able to travel & stay at the places you want without having to buy-in at each one?

I was a little apprehensive to even ask this, but didn't know where else to turn. Thanks in advance for your advice on this, but mostly for the insights over the last few months. We are very happy & excited to be new members! But wouldn't have done it without the disboards :-)

There are definite advantages to owning at several resorts. I own at 4. I have a larger master contract and 3 other smaller ones. The smaller contracts give me a foot in the door at the 11 month window - for instance if I want to do a beach cottage at Vero, I could get 3 days at 11 months and then book the rest at the 7 month window and if necessary waitlist for any additional days. Same for Hilton Head - book part and wait for 7 months for the rest. My master is at BWV which I love, so I feel I have the best plan of all for me........plenty of variety. My vacations are usually 5-6 days long and, and since I get 5 weeks vacation, I like to vary where I go a bit. Usually 1-3 times a year at WDW and perhaps a few days at Vero and a couple of trips a year to Hilton Head, always including an Easter week and a Xmas week and a food and wine week. So 11 month booking helps a lot. Haven't lost a point in 7 years either.

There are definite advantages to owning at several resorts. I own at 4. I have a larger master contract and 3 other smaller ones. The smaller contracts give me a foot in the door at the 11 month window - for instance if I want to do a beach cottage at Vero, I could get 3 days at 11 months and then book the rest at the 7 month window and if necessary waitlist for any additional days. Same for Hilton Head - book part and wait for 7 months for the rest. My master is at BWV which I love, so I feel I have the best plan of all for me........plenty of variety. My vacations are usually 5-6 days long and, and since I get 5 weeks vacation, I like to vary where I go a bit. Usually 1-3 times a year at WDW and perhaps a few days at Vero and a couple of trips a year to Hilton Head, always including an Easter week and a Xmas week and a food and wine week. So 11 month booking helps a lot. Haven't lost a point in 7 years either.

Do you have good luck adding on at the 7 mo window for the VB beach cottage or HH at Easter, etc? Do you end up having to change accommodations or adjust your dates, etc very often?

240 - BWV
60 - BCV
100 - SSR
400 total
(btw, BWV, with its addictive BW view :cloud9: is our absolute fav.)

since all 3 have the same use year, we find keeping track is easy. :thumbsup2

Thanks to all for the well-stated replies. All made total sense. Definitely helps us out to know that there are many out there with a main stash of points at one resort, then add-ons at a few other resorts. Also interesting to hear how you go about using them (Xmas at VWL, F&W at BWV, etc.) We are going to close on the add-on at BCV. That will give us our main resort at SSR, then smaller add-ons at BWV & BCV. All same use year of DEC, so should be easy to track. We're really looking forward to many stays at all 3. We've already planned a F&W trip this fall in late Oct at BWV. Really looking forward to that, especially now that my wife will actully be able to enjoy the "W" this time (was pregnant when we were there last fall)

I'm betting that we end up doing another add-on before the end of the year. The fact that I'm sitting here typing so late at night is my first hunch :-)Nothin huge, but maybe 50 pts somewhere. Thinking either VWL or more points at BWV. I know a few of you have already added on at AKV...anyone else thinking about doing that? 24 hours left....

WELCOME TO THE DISpixiedust:

I just closed on my 1st 150pts at WLV....
I havent made my first ressie yet.....I already can see
the addonitis coming my way...

As long as you stay on top of your points and dont lose any
I think it is great idea....

Guarantees where you want to stay;)
And it is easier to sell small contract....not that we would:lmao:

Anyway....Follow your disney dreams:goodvibes
Kerri
edit....wow that was my 1000th post:)

Congrats on your 1000th!:cheer2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter