Is it in warm in Jan/Feb. for us Canadians?

disneyaddictwannabe

Earning My Ears
This will be our first trip and we are so excited. We are going at the end of Jan. beginning of 'Feb. I remember as a kid being in Florida during our "Canadian winter" and getting a tan. But I don't remember what time of year that was. To anyone that lives down there I assume they consider it cold. By the pictures you see of the parks there are people in pants and jackets then there are people in shorts and t-shirts. Will we be able to wear shorts?Do you as Canadians, when you go down there consider it like summer. Do you swim and such? I hope so! I'm looking forward to the drive down there and watching the temp. and season change. I've told my kids they would get to swim. :eek:
:Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc :Pinkbounc

I would not consider it the same as our summer. In January you could very well need jackets but you can also swim because the pools are all heated. I would say it's Canadian spring-like weather. Warmer afternoons and cooler in the evenings.

We've been there twice in the last 3 years at the end of January/first of February.
2000 - started on Sunday at 70 degrees f and by Wednesday it was 37 degrees and by the following Sunday it was in the 80's (Typhoon Lagoon time:D )
2002 - First week it was mid 80's all week long. Second week it was mid 70's (except one day it went to 68 and sunny). Needless to say, we preferred 2002's weather. But it just shows that you never really know what your going to get. It's supposed to be low 70's, I believe. But when your coming out of Canada with temperatures below 0 celcius, the temperature in Florida seems warmer than it is. Note that the evenings do cool down a fair amount. Also note that we are going again in 2004 at the same time..so let's hope for good weather in 2004:)

I've only been there in mid Feb but I've always found the weather nice and warm (not scorching) cool in the evenings though. Our first trip ever with our daughter was in 96 and it was an EL NINO year...the weather was sunny every day but never rose above 65.....we wore shorts...were tough...we froze...it was awesome (in every photo we're huddled together shivering and pasty white...sooo stereotypically Canadian!!!) cause after all it was still warmer than here. Every year since we've had awesome weather...really lucky!!!Istill find the last week of Feb a good time to go but you've got to book around President's week...it's nightmarish...really crowded (like an early March Break) we found that out the hard way!!! We went the first week of March last year 80-85 everyday...no crowds due to the threat of a looming war...still got a great deal on ASMO...easy drive...minus the wicked snowstorm that we attempted to outrun in TO which dropped 60 cms on the city that early AM as we drove..other than that a total cake walk!!!!So if you really enjoy your trip you may want to consider fine tuning the time of year...or not...lot's of people seem to travel down there then!!! So regardless, bring some jeans and a jacket and have a blast!!!!When you walk down Main Street USA for your first time it won't matter what temperature it is outside anyway...cause you'll feel warm all over regardless of the weather!!!FUN FUN FUN!!!!!!:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

Both DD and I were greatful that we were in contact with friends from this board that warned us of the impending cold front! What we had in Toronto today is what it was like this past January! Mind you if you stood in the Sunshine it was not bad but boy oh boy, I sure did not expect to be able to see my breath!

Just keep a look out for the weather forecast before you leave and do pack hats and mitts, just in case! Disney was selling the Dollar Store Stretch Mitts for $8.00!:eek: And they did not even have anything Disney on them!

We have great pictures of us in front of the Castle with our Winter Gear on!

Let's keep our fingers and toes crossed that this past January's weather is not a repeat!

Bring on the Sunshine and Warmth!

Scratch
:smooth:

Our only trip in Feb was in 98 it wasn't cold mid 70's but it did rain alot on us had only a couple days where you had to wear pants those were the rain days and one day in the high 40's. When we go in Dec to date we have never seen a daytime temp below 65 and our hottest was in 01 with high 80's and into the 90's. Just goes to show you never can tell what it will be like so pack a bit of everything.

my trip was mid-feb this year and i thought it was hot!!! every day felt like it was in the mid- to high-twenties (i'm talking Canadian here!) the mornings and evenings were a bit cooler. i wore jeans on the way there and immediately on arriving, i felt way too hot. it helped me to look at past weather patterns... but florida is definitely a fast changing climate! :duck:

We've had temps all over the board down there at that time of the year! The last time we were down, it was below freezing at night when we got there, and by the end of the week it was lovely and warm. Zip-off pants work well down there! Pants in the morning and evening and shorts during the day with only the legs to carry around instead of a whole change of clothes!

Average daytime highs in Jan and Feb in Orlando are exactly 70 F...in March the warm up begins with daytime highs reaching 76 F.

(On any given day in Jan/Feb you could see a high probability that temps will range between 60 and 80 then).
Overnight lows are in the high 40s with evenings in the 50s/60s.

A nice break from the Cdn (and Northeast!) winter.

Oh, here's an update for you on average daytime highs in Orlando in the winter months to help with trip planning....the source is the National Weather Service!

The temps here are slightly higher than my last post...but these temps that follow are probably the most accurate ones...can't beat the Nat'l Weather Service.

Orlando Avg Daytime Highs compared with New York City
(sorry no Canadian listings available in my source)

My Canadian friends who visit the NY area in winter often comment on how "mild" the winter here is! (I guess it's all relative!)

Nov 79 (54 NY)
Dec 73 (43 NY)
Jan 71 (38 NY)
Feb 73 (40 NY)
Mar 78 (50 NY)

Thanks everyone and thanks Jerseyshark for the update. Looks like we should be able to swim at the hotel. That is warm enough for me:teeth: ! I don't think we will plan on a waterpark though. I guess we'll have to pack for summer and fall type weather. 4 children 2 under 3 , this should be fun!;)

We are arriving Jan.25th and staying till Feb.3rd. Is that around the time that is crazy? I hope not!:( When is the busy presidents week? I was hoping we were picking a quiet time of year...:confused:

President's Day week is around the third week of February. We have gone the first two weeks of February about 8 times. The weather is usually really nice. I like it because you could fire a canon through Epcot and not hit a soul. You can always swim in the heated pools, just be sure to bring a jogging suit to wear back to your room though because the night air can be cool. Last time we were there in 2001 the kids were swimming in the pool and the outside temperature was about 8 degrees Celsius. No problem, though, just throw them in the shower when you get back to your room and put on their flannelette pyjamas.

I love to go at this time of year, but we just got back so we won't (I say that now while my resolve is still high) be going in the winter, unless the snow is too high and the temperatures too cold.

Enjoy yourself.

We went during that time period 2 years ago & will be for the last week in Jan & the first week in Feb next year (around 3 1/2 months to go)

We wore light jackets (spring / fall jackets) on one or 2 evenings but most of the time we wore shorts.

On year, a couple of years ago we were there in the middle of Feb & it was COLD (for Florida) We were even chilly. The ducks were happy in the swimming pools & the lifeguards looked miserable.

Brenda
from MB

Disney resorts have the best pools for winter. Forget most. They don't heat pools otherwise. We have been three times in Jan/Feb and I swear by the WDW resorts. We enjoyed them the most. When it was freezing this Jan., we had to hop over to wherre my sister was at all sports in WDW as our off site pool was too cool.

Other points: less line ups or none at all. Take layers and strip down as it warms up. We love it. No bugs either!

Hi all - just like to ask the Florida veterans about the first week in Jan weather wise (planning on going Jan 2-9, 2004 - just waiting for travel agent to confirm all the bookings this week). :Pinkbounc

In looking at some of the historical forecasts for this time it could get pretty cold at night (single digits in Celsius) but quite pleasant in the day (low twenties Celsius). Now even in summer I don't usually wear shorts until it hits 25-30 degrees Celsius - so I wasn't planning on packing shorts mostly just light weight pants and golfshirts, long sleeved tees and a polar fleece with a good rubberized rain coat for cooler wear or if it rains. Hoping this sort of layered approach should work. Any advice?:confused:

Thanks for the input

Caroline (a Disney newbie):earsgirl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter