Is it Worth Staying at the Polynesian with Construction and No Monorail?

ebounds1

Earning My Ears
Hi Everyone!
I've been a "lurker" on here for a while but finally created an account to create my own post! I want to see if I can get some insights on if it is a good idea to spend the $$$ to stay at the Poly when there's construction and no monorail. We were thinking of going in August to avoid the issue of the Monorail and construction, but I also heard that it's possible that everything may not be complete by then. As a result, we're thinking maybe we could go in April (if available at this point) to avoid both the increased crowds (want to avoid the surge of kids out of school), the crazy heat, and to potentially save some money (seems to be a good deal cheaper). It would be my first time staying there...I've wanted to stay there since I was a child so it's kind of a big deal for me now that I'm an adult and can afford to splurge on this sort of thing once in a while. That being said, is it worth the extra cost to stay there right now if the resort doesn't have the Monorail and is actively a construction zone? If not, what is everyone's opinions on the "next best" resort to stay at in terms of transportation convenience? I'm not a big fan of the bus experience and imagine the wait would be even longer at park closing if there are currently social distancing requirements, so would hope for avoiding purely bus-taking resorts.

If it helps, it would be up to 4 of us staying in a room (not sure about the 4th person yet) and ideally, we'd like to have 2 bathrooms and maybe even have one room with a door (the other bed could be in the main living area--I think that's a one bedroom and not a studio?). A mini fridge/kitchenette would be ideal. We're not as concerned about the pools because we're more interested in the parks but we would like a resort that isn't too much like staying at a Marriott or in a high-rise tower. The room configurations between the hotels and DVC is kind of confusing to figure out between the different resorts, but the two bathrooms is the most important part for us to avoid WWIII breaking out.

Any advice or recommendation to help me make a decision soon would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

Poly is our home resort and we love it above all others except perhaps YC/BC.

With that said, we've spent two nights there since they began demolition/construction, and have since moved two ten-day trips to other resorts specifically because we didn't think it was worth the points to do Poly-Lite.

Hi Everyone!
I've been a "lurker" on here for a while but finally created an account to create my own post! I want to see if I can get some insights on if it is a good idea to spend the $$$ to stay at the Poly when there's construction and no monorail. We were thinking of going in August to avoid the issue of the Monorail and construction, but I also heard that it's possible that everything may not be complete by then. As a result, we're thinking maybe we could go in April (if available at this point) to avoid both the increased crowds (want to avoid the surge of kids out of school), the crazy heat, and to potentially save some money (seems to be a good deal cheaper). It would be my first time staying there...I've wanted to stay there since I was a child so it's kind of a big deal for me now that I'm an adult and can afford to splurge on this sort of thing once in a while. That being said, is it worth the extra cost to stay there right now if the resort doesn't have the Monorail and is actively a construction zone? If not, what is everyone's opinions on the "next best" resort to stay at in terms of transportation convenience? I'm not a big fan of the bus experience and imagine the wait would be even longer at park closing if there are currently social distancing requirements, so would hope for avoiding purely bus-taking resorts.

If it helps, it would be up to 4 of us staying in a room (not sure about the 4th person yet) and ideally, we'd like to have 2 bathrooms and maybe even have one room with a door (the other bed could be in the main living area--I think that's a one bedroom and not a studio?). A mini fridge/kitchenette would be ideal. We're not as concerned about the pools because we're more interested in the parks but we would like a resort that isn't too much like staying at a Marriott or in a high-rise tower. The room configurations between the hotels and DVC is kind of confusing to figure out between the different resorts, but the two bathrooms is the most important part for us to avoid WWIII breaking out.

Any advice or recommendation to help me make a decision soon would be very much appreciated. Thanks!

"Worth it" is a question no one can answer but you.

Poly DVC only has studios and bungalows available. The studios do not have 2 full bathrooms, but a full bathroom and then a "half" with another (really nice!) shower and iirc a second toilet. For sleeping surfaces you have a queen bed and a queen pullout so keep that in mind. You will not have a full kitchen either, but a kitchenette with a microwave. All rooms have mini fridges.

The lack of monorail really isn't an issue from a logistical standpoint if you are staying on the DVC side, most people walk to the TTC to get the monorail there anyway even in normal times because it's closer than walking to the GCH. If you want to beat the rope drop crowds at TTC the resort launch is still running (MK is the next stop after Poly), and if you don't mind hoofing it you can walk to MK via the new GF walking path in about 30 minutes give or take. Unless you really had your heart set on 'Ohana the construction is really not that big a deal from everything I've heard, and might make it a slightly better experience given less people crowding the pools and common areas. Construction is just happening on the hotel side and the monorail platform.

The Poly thread will have more specific info and accounts from people who have stayed there during the construction.
https://www.disboards.com/threads/d...t-villas-information-questions.3398524/unread
If you are looking to avoid the buses entirely there is no resort that will let you do that, but the Crescent Lake resorts let you walk to 2 parks, so if Epcot and HS are priorities consider YC or the BC/BWI villas.

I just stayed there in a Studio(they can sleep 5 if one is a child/very small). One toilet, but two showers (one in the tub) and sinks.

It was my first stay there, and I didn't feel the stuff impacted my stay as much as my TA was afraid it would.

I'm currently booked at Riviera for my July 50th birthday trip after changing from Poly because I had been booked on the rooms side of the resort starting the first day they are taking reservations, and I am debating changing back, but VERY nervous about it as I would hate for them to get to June and decide that they won't be ready in time and they have to move me to whatever's available. So I'm torn...risk it and potentially get stuck with someplace I don't really want or stay put at Riviera.

Take a look at the layout for the BLT 1BR. It has two full baths, so as to help you avoid WWIII. :) This is also within walking distance to MK, so no busses to worry about!

If you are looking to avoid busses as much as possible, you might want to look into doing a split stay between an MK area resort and an EP/HS area resort. Then do your MK days while you are at the MK resort and then EP and HS when you are at the EP/HS resort. Since you will most likely have to take a bus on your move day, schedule this day as your AK day, as you have to take a bus there anyway. This is our go-to plan almost every trip. Works like a charm in regards to avoiding busses as much as possible.

I was thinking about staying at Poly for our upcoming trip but without the monorail and ohana, it wasn’t worth it to me. I bet it would be great for pool usage though...much quieter.

Thank you so much for the recommendations, opinions, and advice, everyone! I'm absorbing it all and pricing out the different options. Planning a Disney trip is really complicated, lol. I miss the days when my family did it for me and I just got to enjoy the magic of it without the work. :-)

We're currently looking at Saratoga Springs and even the Art of Animation, even though it's definitely a LOT of bus-riding which really is not my favorite. Somehow, with pricing being what it is, the cost of the Art of Animation and Saratoga Springs winds up being the same with the main difference being that AoA has the extra bathroom and SS doesn't, along with the different transportation options. Next thing I'll look at is the DVC options since I know there are options to rent points and stay in the rooms there so I can further confuse myself with more options, a perfect idea for confounding an indecisive person like myself! haha.

I was just talking about this today. I plan on waiting until the Poly refurb is done, the monorail is back, restaurants like O'Hana are open, and even fireworks are back (I like watching them from the beach). Right now, I just don't feel like you are getting all of what the Poly has to offer, and the prices are still pretty steep. I personally don't think it's worth it to stay there right now. I've been back to the parks twice since Covid and have just stayed at the cheaper resorts (Pop and Swan). We had a fabulous time, but I wouldn't spend the big bucks right now.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter