Is TRON at MK Pooh-Sized Friendly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no opinions on this person’s weight because it’s truly none of my business, but I saw the video in question and found it quite difficult to watch. Looked like a very painful experience that made *my* calves hurt.

Last edited:
Please take this discussion back to discussing the actual attraction, not terminology of what to call a guest’s size.

Debate is going nowhere.

Any further comments only for the sake of what terminology to use will be deleted and warning points may be given.

Bottom line for me is that it's inexcusable and ridiculous of Disney to order a clone of the Shanghai ride. American/international park goers are an incredibly diverse group of people. Not having better plans for body differences and various abilities was a foreseeable problem. Even if it's not as bad as rumored, asking people to contort themselves isn't the answer to cheap design.

It needs to be safe for kids and petit women, too…their safety and ability to ride shouldn’t be ignored. If these ride vehicles were compatible for those with 20” calves, then I don’t see how it would be safe for a slim 12 year old girl.
Did you see the video of the restraint? One look at how it operates answers your question.

Even if it's not as bad as rumored, asking people to contort themselves isn't the answer to cheap design.
That's not at all what they asked. There's a nice bench seat that looks like pretty much anyone can fit in, including fantastic wheelchair transfer accessibility. Unlike FOP, there's an excellent solution.

Just because a vlogger crammed himself in for a video (ouch!) doesn't mean that's what you should do. Ride the bench seat.

I have followed closely the built of Tron in China by watching several videos and interviews with the imagineers and engineers.

This is what I understood, so bear with me: (also, I tried my best to carefully select my words avoiding any offensive statements.)

1. Tron is designed to be ridden as a bike. That is the theme of the movie released in the 80s that we all enjoy.

2. Tron is a fast coaster with several twists and turns. Because they wanted to use bikes where you lean forward (high speed bike) instead of regular train carts, they came up with their specific restraint system. That restraint should be designed to accommodate children 48 inches taller and "normal" size and overweight adults (not very large guests). It needs to safely secure those guests.

3. If you try to make a bike restraint system that would also accommodate larger guests, children or smaller guests probably would not be safely secured (I imagine it should be tricky to develop something that can safely restrain a child that weighs 50 pounds and an adult up to 350-400 for example). Those smaller guests would probably not be too snug on the seat for example, might move more during those twists and turns and potentially leading to injuries (? whiplash)

4. The solution that Disney felt was the safest and most time effective (loading process) was building some regular train carts for larger guests

5. I have seen some people suggesting to make the same bike but with larger restraint system to accommodate those guests. Well, that is an idea. However what happens if someone goes to the wrong line and ends up getting into those larger bikes? What if the CM is tired or there is human error during the loading process? Apparently Tron is supposed to handle 1700 riders per hour. I think it would be too risky to do that, at some point a smaller guest would ended up on the larger bike and that could be a safety issue.

6. The only solution that I can think of is to place more regular train carts. But on what proportion? 10/90%, 30/70%? 50/50%? Disney has a team that knows exactly the patient population that rides coaster, so they are trying to come up with a proportion that can serve larger guests but also that do not slow down the loading process. It is all about safety and efficiency.

7. Whatever solution they come up with, it will make some people unhappy. If they place more regular carts, most people won't like because they waited a while to ride the bike, making the line longer. If they keep the proportion the same, larger people won't like because they might have to wait longer.

7. The current set up is inclusive of everyone (or most everyone) IMHO. Some guests will just need to wait longer if that is the case (I know, it sucks).

Anyway, that is my understanding. You might agree or not, but I think Disney knows what they are doing. At the end of the day, they want more people riding in general so they will do everything to maximize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter