Jaws closing for good on Jan 2

Awesome post Phamton ...

While I am sad that they are getting rid of Jaws, and agree with the others who said there are other attractions they "should" close instead, I do understand why Universal is doing it. I was sad too about Disney demolishing Toon Town in the Magic Kingdom (I loved walking through Mickey and Minnie's houses), but am looking forward to the new land as well. Technology has changed so much over the years, I'm sure that whatever Universal puts in the Jaws/Amity area will be awesome.

Whoa, this post was posted in the future!!! So strange!!! The boards are being weird today.

There is way too much area over by Jaws for it to be the Transformers ride.

It could be -- as part of something else, an area with multiple attractions.

Jaws is over in the corner and they will just reroute people around it. It won't be that big of a deal.

They're removing Amity, too, which is the entire walking path in that area -- isn't it?

They could temporarily have two dead ends -- Disaster and MiB -- and then when all the Amity junk is removed put up construction walls and have the path along the edge, I suppose. Depending on what their plans for the area are, though... they might want to build/theme right to the water's edge.

The ride opened today in Singapore, I can't wait to hear reviews.

There have been reviews out for a couple of days. It's Spiderman except with Transformers. They use the exact same vehicle design as Spiderman. And no, there aren't any Transformer animatronics involved at all.

*yawn*

Aww that is sad, we love Jaws!

However it is exciting that US is making some changes, even though Jaws is down a lot it's still a loved and well known ride...this must mean something really awesome is coming if they are closing such a classic!

Man Jaws is such a classic, and I agree I would have much rather seen Fear Factor, Twister and Disaster moved before this. Seriously only a months notice Universal? Jaws deserved a farewell tour.

It better be a tremendous replacement as Universal doesn't quite seem the same w/o Jaws. I remember being on school trips and at parks closing the guy would keep sending us around because nobody was in line. Truly an epic ride.

I will be sorry to see Jaws go. I really enjoyed a ride I could take all of the kids on that wasn't too scary or too tame. I am a little surprised that Universal is closing Jaws while also doing construction on Despicable Me. I don't know how much time overlap there will be, but Amity and Jaws is a large area to close. Makes the Park seem awfully small.

:sad1: My boys and I are not happy about this.

I am still a little mad about King Kong being gone-now another classic bites the dust.:mad:

As one of the few people that has no interest in HP, there are fewer and fewer reasons for our family to visit US. There are so many other "attractions" that they could re-purpose. Twister, Disaster, one of the theaters.

I guess I don't have to plan any future trips to US. I think I will take that money and check out Star Wars Weekends.

Looks like there is a lot of distance between Amity and Potter.

Universal-GoogleMaps1.jpg
Universal-GoogleMaps2.jpg

Wow.... This was a shock. and so soon?!

I wonder if the construction and new barges I saw behind and by Richters around the beginning of the month could be some prep work for a potential temp bridge? (Otherwise, I'm guessing new water show?).

My other question...

With Jaws closed, how is that going to impact the HHN houses/flow?

:sad1: My boys and I are not happy about this.

I am still a little mad about King Kong being gone-now another classic bites the dust.:mad:

As one of the few people that has no interest in HP, there are fewer and fewer reasons for our family to visit US. There are so many other "attractions" that they could re-purpose. Twister, Disaster, one of the theaters.

I guess I don't have to plan any future trips to US. I think I will take that money and check out Star Wars Weekends.

Kong for me got boring, and I think Mummy was a successful replacement as it brought more thrill to the park by adding a real rollercoaster type of ride. I sure wouldn't mind an updated version of Kong.

But this is Jaws . . . I mean seriously, Twister is still there? The only purpose Twister serves is a cooldown spot on those summer days when that rain swoops in from the show. I Even understood Back to the future to Simpsons, and I understand Hannah Barbara to Jimmy Neutron to DM . . . but Jaws? Ugh it is just going to be too weird the next time I go to Universal and Jaws isn't there. From the 5 minute wait to the over 2 hour waits, so many memories mannnn.

The replacement has some real big shoes to fill, this and ET are probably the 2 greatest rides the Studios ever made, definitely the 2 most historic and nostalgic.

I don't see how it makes sense to announce a closing without saying what is going to replace it.

It's not that Strange. Universal did the same thing with Jimmy Neutron in announcing the closing before the new ride was announced. It wasn't until after it's "official Closing" (it still was open occasionally during busy times to help with crowds) that they started hinting at what it's replacement would be.

Kong for me got boring, and I think Mummy was a successful replacement as it brought more thrill to the park by adding a real rollercoaster type of ride. I sure wouldn't mind an updated version of Kong.

But this is Jaws . . . I mean seriously, Twister is still there? The only purpose Twister serves is a cooldown spot on those summer days when that rain swoops in from the show. I Even understood Back to the future to Simpsons, and I understand Hannah Barbara to Jimmy Neutron to DM . . . but Jaws? Ugh it is just going to be too weird the next time I go to Universal and Jaws isn't there. From the 5 minute wait to the over 2 hour waits, so many memories mannnn.

The replacement has some real big shoes to fill, this and ET are probably the 2 greatest rides the Studios ever made, definitely the 2 most historic and nostalgic.

I think they're removing Jaws because whatever they're adding requires a lot of space...possibly more than the other attractions.

I'm so bummed. Because last December was so cold we cancelled our trip and now we will never get to ride it :(.

It's not that Strange. Universal did the same thing with Jimmy Neutron in announcing the closing before the new ride was announced. It wasn't until after it's "official Closing" (it still was open occasionally during busy times to help with crowds) that they started hinting at what it's replacement would be.
I realize they've done it before, but that doesn't mean the strategy makes sense. There's really no benefit to keeping things under wraps. Clearly the decision on what is going there is final or they wouldn't have announced a closing date. Give people the good news at the same time as the bad news.

Can there really be nostalgia for something that opened in 1990? Can something from 1990 really be a classic?

Jaws was a fun little ride... and a huge waste of space. I don't dislike the ride – but if they're going to build something awesome there I'll help fill in Amity Harbor myself (and, FWIW, while I think Transformers will be part of it based on Spielberg's comments, I hope that's not it).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter