Jekyll Island Ga. or Hilton Head SC.

yurijd01

Earning My Ears
Has anyone ever camped in either Hilton Head or Jekyll Island. We are looking to camp in either of these two locations on our way to FW.
Would like any information so that we may make a decision as to what may be a better place to camp out for a few days . We have 3 children ages 3-13, and are looking for a nice beach getaway for a few days before we do the parks at disney:rolleyes:

I have not camped but I have visited Jekyll and I have family who live on Hilton Head. Both places are very nice, unspoiled beaches. Neither are really crowded or "tourist traps" I'd say they both offer a more resort-like atmosphere.

Hilton Head is larger, more populated & has more commercial businesses, restaurants, etc. Hilton Head is famous for it's golf courses and it has a great outlet mall. ;)

I'd say that if you are going for "escape, peace & quiet" go for Jekyll. Jekyll has a beautiful historic village. But very few commercial businesses.

If you are looking for a beach that has plenty available as far as entertainment, restaurants, shopping. Hilton Head is the better choice.

We took our TT to Jekyll Isle on a "where do we go now?" whim. One of our better spots! Very un-commercial. Wish we could have spent more time in the historic area! Beach was nice, people friendly. I may be wrong, but I think there's only one campground on the island and it was nice enough. Crazy birds, dropping nuts on campers, but it added to the charm. ;) Call ahead for ressies. My understanding is they can fill up quick. Haven't been to HH, so can't do a comparison for you. Oh, there's a community park with a large pier, people were fishing. There are some walking paths there, too. Very nice. HTH

I live in Charleston, SC. We have camped in both places. I would always opt to go to Hilton Head over Jekyll Island. They are both nice places, nice beaches, etc. The only draw back from Jekyll Island is: It is known to be th Gnatt Capitol of the World and it proved it self to be when we were there. So much in the evening that while we had planned to have a fish fry with a couple others that we were camping with, we had to let the cooks stay outside and bring the food in to our individual campers for us to eat.

Hilton Head is about 40 miles off of the Interstate, but very nice and we have never had that kind of problem with the insects.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter