July W.I.S.H - Summer of Independence!

Sorry about the flood! I hope you didn't lose too much of the stuff in your basement.

Elsa hit us fairly lightly here - steady rain for most of the day, but less wind than we expected.
As of right now, I think we are okay. We learned a very difficult lesson years ago when we had things in cardboard boxes like Christmas ornaments made by DD's little hands that were destroyed...I cried like a baby. After that, DH and I bought rubbermade containers and elevated as many things as possible. The mere fact that our circa 1920 house came with a sump pump should have been an indicator that we couldn't leave anything on the floor of the basement. Right now, it smells so all of the windows have to be open to bring in the fresh air. I can only imagine how much worse it would have been if the sump pump wasn't working at all.

Today is Social Saturday. Is anyone doing anything social today?

We are not. We hung out with my sister last night. It all went well. We ordered Pizza for dinner and I picked up a cupcake for a specialty cupcake shop in town. They opened a little before the pandemic and I was happy they made it through the pandemic. My family does not like fancy cupcakes and they were very nice to make plain white cupcakes with vanilla frosting for me and the kids. My sister got one with caramel and my niece got a cassata one. They were all very good.

To finish my post from yesterday. Sunday we have lots going one. I hate when we have divide and conquere. I will be going with DD to her first horse show. We have to be at the barn at 7am. It will be a long day. DH will be taking DS to a soccer tournament. It is only 3 games so not horrible. His games are back to back starting at 12:30.

Then Monday it is back to work for us. I have an easy day on Monday as I will be helping with one of donors golf outings. It is pretty laid back most of the day. I just hope it doesn't rain. That will put a wrench in things.

Today is Social Saturday. Is anyone doing anything social today?

We are not. We hung out with my sister last night. It all went well. We ordered Pizza for dinner and I picked up a cupcake for a specialty cupcake shop in town. They opened a little before the pandemic and I was happy they made it through the pandemic. My family does not like fancy cupcakes and they were very nice to make plain white cupcakes with vanilla frosting for me and the kids. My sister got one with caramel and my niece got a cassata one. They were all very good.

To finish my post from yesterday. Sunday we have lots going one. I hate when we have divide and conquere. I will be going with DD to her first horse show. We have to be at the barn at 7am. It will be a long day. DH will be taking DS to a soccer tournament. It is only 3 games so not horrible. His games are back to back starting at 12:30.

Then Monday it is back to work for us. I have an easy day on Monday as I will be helping with one of donors golf outings. It is pretty laid back most of the day. I just hope it doesn't rain. That will put a wrench in things.
Her first horse show-how exciting! Hope she has a great day!

We are having a quiet day after the family left yesterday. We were going to have dinner out with my brother and sister-in-law but my husband has a cold, so will stay in and get a few things done.

We are headed to a minor league baseball game (Iron Pigs) with family tonight. And my daughter is bringing a friend. I’m a little nervous for my nephew as he’s too young for the vaccine. But the rest of us are all vaccinated, so it feels good to get out and attend events that we all enjoy!

We have ourselves a big mess in the basement. Due to the smell and in order to avoid mold, the floor and walls have to be mopped with bleach and water. This is going to take up our whole weekend. Thank God this didn't happen while we were away, or we would have come back to a disaster. Let's hope the weather is calm while we are gone.

Social day is tomorrow for us...each Sunday we are at my inlaws house for some family time in the pool. Today was a walk with the kiddos while DH worked then plenty of outdoor time, in the driveway since the grass is still wet from Elsa. Very little damage aside from furniture blown over and a very waterlogged garden thank goodness. DH had drained the pool a bit before the storm so that was a huge help!
Kids and I rode out the storm watching the Frozen movies...yeah...we were those guys.
I have started a quest to find the best anti-chafing solutions prior to our vaca. The chub rub is real my friends. Trying body glide, goldbond friction defense, monistat antichaf, megababe, vaseline body balm...its a tie right now between goldbond and monistat...stay tuned for a winner HA

My social today was driving out to the coast to have lunch with my Sister, plus we stopped in at a funky little museum up the road a bit. The manager was delightful, so passionate about all the little bits and bobs and full of gossip about the area. The drive down was overcast but the drive back was bright and sunny. I didn’t bother to check the ferry schedule for the trip home, but I had it in mind to beat the time predicted by Google maps, and did… and ended up driving right on to the ferry again, last car except for the truck that had to back on because it was getting off on the island stop.

Having a quiet day putting the house in order and packing so we can leave early tomorrow morning. We won’t return until after our Disney trip so making sure I bring clothes and shoes I might need.
It’s actually a little cloudy so might take a walk before the sun comes out again. Right now I’m just sitting on the deck watching the birds! Hope everyone has a relaxing day-and hope Summer is done with her basement and lounging by the pool!

Having a quiet day putting the house in order and packing so we can leave early tomorrow morning. We won’t return until after our Disney trip so making sure I bring clothes and shoes I might need.
It’s actually a little cloudy so might take a walk before the sun comes out again. Right now I’m just sitting on the deck watching the birds! Hope everyone has a relaxing day-and hope Summer is done with her basement and lounging by the pool!
Thanks for thinking of me. The hard work is done, but it's cloudy and in the low 70's, so not a pool day. We're just grateful for no rain at the moment. We're still trying to dry out and deodorize the basement, so the less rain, the better.

How exciting to be preparing for Disney! The anticipation is half the fun! I hope you have a wonderful time there.

We're also in preparation mode. We have DD's friend collecting mail (don't trust post office at the moment, so won't be having them hold my mail) and watering plants while we're gone. DD has another friend who is busier, but more responsible, so we will be giving her a key just in case it hits the fan while we are away.

12 days and counting...I really can't wait for our vacation to begin!

Signed in to MDE this morning to make my ADRs and the dates were still blocked... I was thinking July 11 to Sept 11 was 60 days, but counted and it is actually 62 days, that means Tuesday is my day. Oh well, more time to research and think about it.

Been getting lots of little things done today: I've been grocery shopping, cleared some stuff out of the freezer, planted a few new things in the containers on the porch, racked some dead stuff out of one of the front gardens, finished my book for book club, sorted thru clothing and pulled out a bag of stuff to go to GW, and just built my new PC desktop riser, so I can stand for part of the day. Next up is clearing some of the condiments out of the fridge. All in all, pretty darn thrilling...

MOTIVATION MONDAY

Happy Mid-summer and Happy Mid-July!
For a mid-month check-in, what are a couple things you've done this month that are helping you move along your path to healthy living and what are a couple things you are motivated to do this week to further you along in that journey?

Last edited:
Good morning!

Things that went right: getting exercise in. It’s been so nice down here and have enjoyed walking in the park, our neighborhood and the beach. Having three boys under the age of 13 visit kept me active!

Things to keep working on: Snacking. Now that I will be home again I need to cut back on eating in between meals. And that glass of wine on the deck every evening-back to only on Friday nights!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter