• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just back and holy wah did someone get over served!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were at Epcot in our first trip with our kids in 2014. We didn’t really know what F&W was. We went to Epcot during the week and it was awesome! We went back on a Saturday night and had to get out of dodge. There were so many 21st birthdays, bachelor, and bachelorette parties that were super rowdy, throwing up, cursing, staggering into things- you name it.
While I’m totally not against a night of debauchery, I prefer not to have my 2 and 4 year old witness that kind of behavior for many many many years. I felt like there should have been some sort of warning. Luckily, MK was a nice place to retreat to:)

We had very similar experiences...It's completely out of hand at Epcot at various times of the day/week.

We stopped going to Disney in the Fall for a number of reasons, crowds and prices being the main thing, but one of them was F&W wasn't "safe" for our kids to be around later in the day or weekends. We had to end up going on a early afternoon mid-week to avoid too much drunkeness and foul language. We complained multiple times and it we got lip service.

My advice to parents who care about this type of stuff is stay away from Epcot at night or weekends during F&W.

That's some bad behavior, but I'd say it's the exception, not the norm.
\
I agree, I visited the F&W in 2013, going back Oct 28-Nov 3 this year with my sister. Maybe I was just lucky but I didn't see any of that. I was in Epcot every night of my 2013 stay and I stayed at Boardwalk Villas so I was walking back to the resort.

It strikes me though, that getting that drunk at Epcot is a very expensive prospect. I consider that I drink too much wine at times, but I've never drank that much in Epcot. the pours at the F&W booths really aren't a full serving but the cost is a full serving cost. Of course there's the possibility that they were already half in the bag when the entered the park. It's a shame that people have had to view this, often with their kids in tow.

sorry but people just THINK they are acting normal after 3 double shots. there is nothing more eye opening than being in a room and being the only one not drinking.

That's what I was thinking too! During the holidays it's fun to watch my relatives who drink think they are so funny! ( I don't drink)

We went to F&W every year from 2006-2013 and never had a problem with "drunks". However, 2014 changed that! I am all for having a good time but IMHO this is too much. It isn't family friendly fun when people are puking, cursing, and basically falling down drunk. It was also sad to me to see so many with with tshirts that depicted Mickey and friends drunk. Some of the shirts were funny but it also bothered me...sorry, Mickey isn't a drunk! :sad2: That was our last year to go during F&W and sadly, I don't care to go back. I do agree that the weekdays are much better than the weekends, not to mention less crowded. Disney needs to regulate this in some sort of way.

sorry but people just THINK they are acting normal after 3 double shots. there is nothing more eye opening than being in a room and being the only one not drinking.

You didn't see us so you have no idea how we were acting.
We were sitting on LWTL after those drinks and were not saying or doing anything other than sitting and listening to the narrator.
So you can't tell me that was being loud and obnoxious.
I know how to act depending on where I am.
I would not be loud, annoying, swearing, puking in Disney World.
There is a time and place for that kind of behavior and its in my home on NYE NOT at Epcot with 2 year olds.

We went to F&W every year from 2006-2013 and never had a problem with "drunks". However, 2014 changed that! I am all for having a good time but IMHO this is too much. It isn't family friendly fun when people are puking, cursing, and basically falling down drunk. It was also sad to me to see so many with with tshirts that depicted Mickey and friends drunk. Some of the shirts were funny but it also bothered me...sorry, Mickey isn't a drunk! :sad2: That was our last year to go during F&W and sadly, I don't care to go back. I do agree that the weekdays are much better than the weekends, not to mention less crowded. Disney needs to regulate this in some sort of way.

See we were there in 2014 around Halloween and on a Saturday night - we didn't see anything! And we looked for because I read about it on here. :)

See we were there in 2014 around Halloween and on a Saturday night - we didn't see anything! And we looked for because I read about it on here. :)

We were at EPCOT 3 different evenings I think and while we did see a ton of groups with matching t shirts about bachelor parties, 21st birthday parties, or just drinking around the world, we really didn't see much obnoxious behavior. It was really restricted to the one guy puking in the bushes and the super obnoxious group on the bus. The upchucker really didn't bother me. I actually found it funny and remember commenting that he had too much fun and that it seemed like such a waste given the price of the drinks. The people on the bus, however, were completely out of control and given their level of behavior should have been cut off long ago. The loud woman was swinging from the hand rail. That's just ridiculous.

And no, to whoever said it above, this is not HIGHLY EXAGGERATED. Is it common? No. But it does happen and it can rise to that level.

I don't think that's very fair since some of us can handle ourselves in a normal fashion and still have a few double shot drinks in a short period of time.
Its also hard to know how many drinks someone has had if they are not drinking in the same spot all day.
I do think that if someone is looking obviously buzzed and on the verge of drunk they should refuse to serve especially when its inside of a park vs like a resort pool bar.

I agree with you! I can be "buzzed" but still handle myself appropriately and I stop drinking once I am at at that point. Especially because the parks are more public/accessible than the resorts, they should refuse people when they're at that point of being belligerent/could cause harm to others with their behavior or themselves.

You didn't see us so you have no idea how we were acting.
We were sitting on LWTL after those drinks and were not saying or doing anything other than sitting and listening to the narrator.
So you can't tell me that was being loud and obnoxious.
I know how to act depending on where I am.
I would not be loud, annoying, swearing, puking in Disney World.
There is a time and place for that kind of behavior and its in my home on NYE NOT at Epcot with 2 year olds.
whoa....back it up.... go back and read your post i quoted.....you said nothing about yourself or where you were. it was a pretty generic statement you made. why are you implying that i was making it personal?

whoa....back it up.... go back and read your post i quoted.....you said nothing about yourself or where you were. it was a pretty generic statement you made. why are you implying that i was making it personal?

You made it personal as soon as you quoted it.
I did also say US making it personal to me.
If you did not want to make it personal you could have just posted your opinion vs quoting mine.

This year was my first trip during Food and Wine. I was there with my best friend, and I warned her that I had heard some terrible stories.

So we were on the look out. Hey, you get fun where you can find it.

We were there mostly during the week, but we also visited on Friday night.

We may have counted maybe 8 people total that seemed drunk? We saw more police officers than we did drunks. We didn't see a single person that was so drunk that they should have stopped drinking a couple of shots ago.

I am sure it happens. But I didn't see it.

It's not just during FW. We went a few years ago in early June on a Saturday night. I saw more obviously drunk people walking around, yelling, staggering than any bar I have ever visited. I like to drink, but have enough self-discipline to control myself from getting toilet-hugging drunk. Disney as a whole is geared towards FAMILY vacations. Yes, Epcot's world showcase might be set up more for adults. However, it is not geared towards making stupid drunken behavior acceptable. That type of behavior should not be accepted anywhere and especially not DISNEY WORLD!

I'm not really all that surprised that Disney continues to serve the obviously intoxicated. The "safe serving" courses I've had to take for various jobs were always heavily focused on drunk driving prevention, and for a lot of Disney's guests that simply doesn't apply.

That said, of the folks I've seen puke in Disney bushes over the years, I've seen more that I'd chalk up to morning sickness or illness than to drunkenness. Maybe I've just been lucky - we've only taken one Food & Wine trip, way back in '05, and did Epcot during the week. I've also attended a F&W festival preview event with free-flowing drinks and a crowd that very much appreciates the phrase "open bar", but there was no rowdy behaviour, just a lot of, shall we say, "inspired" conversation.

I've seen some horrible examples of people who are not able to self-regulate as far as their alcohol intake goes. It's a shame, really. Everyone suffers. ...and to be honest...this must be the most expensive "drunk" you could ever get on. The admission price (no matter how you pay for it), the price of the drink (nice for a 'treat', but I could never afford Disney's drink prices to the point that some do). You can get slammed at home or in your local pub for far less...so, what's the point? I wish that Disney would enforce good boundaries about this topic before someone gets into their car and kills someone on the way home, or hurts themselves. Just wishing...

I've never seen anyone drunk at Disney, but I'm definitely not disputing anyone's observations.

However, Disney does just slightly more than zero to control other, sober bad guest behavior, so I'm not sure why anyone expects this to be any different. Line-cutting, scream-chanting, loudly narrating over the attraction soundtracks, parade spot crashing (and I don't mean "saved" spots, I mean pushing folks out of the way who've been waiting), repeated flash photography after warnings--these go on and on with zero CM response. I just don't see them jumping in here to decide who's had too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter