• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Just Back - Boardwalk

ClarabelleCow

Where did my tag go? Oh fairy, can you help me?
This was my first trip staying at the Boardwalk, and I can honestly say, VWL is my favorite with a tie for second with OKW and SSR! Which is shocking because I always wanted to stay in the Epcot area. There were some definate pluses, being able to walk to MGM and EPCOT, but other than that, that was it! I didn't care for the pool area, very tight, though they all are for the most part, It felt closed in. While the BW area was fun, after a while it was loud!!! Enjoyed the entertainment nightly on the green, but didn't appreciate the loud partiers walking by at 1:00am. We were in a great location, room 4061, close to the elevator and view of the "courtyard/green" but it was just loud! Can't imagine what its like in the pool area. Room was okay clean wise, but there was a used soap left in the dish (not really that big of a deal) and a towel that looked like it was used. I just get the feeling the treat the studios as second class citizens, are you expected to buy extra plates, and silverware??? There was exactly 4 plates, bowls, knives, forks and spoons, and 2 coffee cups. Washing the paper bowls was interesting. Plus no shampoo in the room, just two conditioners, one used soap and one wrapped. (more than enough soap, but could have used shampoo!) I called for shampoo and they brought me 7?? go figure. When we had T&T service they never gave us more kitchen stuff, and no clean dish rag. Plus the daybed had a dirty sheet on it, huge stain, looked like someone spilt a soda, but why wasn't it checked? Room was clean but dusty. I did call for more kitchen stuff (plates, bowls and plastic ware! and received it very promptly) I did advise houskeeping of thre issues upon checkout. Again nothing earth shattering, but just not up to my Disney expectations. We walked around the area, and really wondered how many "crashers" they get at the Boardwalk and the Beachclub, you can just wander around with no cares. Ate at Spoodles, Cape May, Hurricane Hanas, and had a drink at the pool bar at Luna Park. The bus service is interesting, seems BW is always first to be picked up, and last to be let off!!! Why they don't have there own bus I don't understand, and then have Swan, Dolphin and Beach and Yacht together? We had a great trip, maybe my epectations were set too high for the resort, but I can't wait till my next stay at VWL!!

Wow! Interesting! I was thinking about using some VWL points at BWV in the future, but this gives me a pause.

This was my first trip staying at the Boardwalk, and I can honestly say, VWL is my favorite with a tie for second with OKW and SSR! Which is shocking because I always wanted to stay in the Epcot area. There were some definate pluses, being able to walk to MGM and EPCOT, but other than that, that was it! I didn't care for the pool area, very tight, though they all are for the most part, It felt closed in. While the BW area was fun, after a while it was loud!!! Enjoyed the entertainment nightly on the green, but didn't appreciate the loud partiers walking by at 1:00am. We were in a great location, room 4061, close to the elevator and view of the "courtyard/green" but it was just loud! Can't imagine what its like in the pool area. Room was okay clean wise, but there was a used soap left in the dish (not really that big of a deal) and a towel that looked like it was used. I just get the feeling the treat the studios as second class citizens, are you expected to buy extra plates, and silverware??? There was exactly 4 plates, bowls, knives, forks and spoons, and 2 coffee cups. Washing the paper bowls was interesting. Plus no shampoo in the room, just two conditioners, one used soap and one wrapped. (more than enough soap, but could have used shampoo!) I called for shampoo and they brought me 7?? go figure. When we had T&T service they never gave us more kitchen stuff, and no clean dish rag. Plus the daybed had a dirty sheet on it, huge stain, looked like someone spilt a soda, but why wasn't it checked? Room was clean but dusty. I did call for more kitchen stuff (plates, bowls and plastic ware! and received it very promptly) I did advise houskeeping of thre issues upon checkout. Again nothing earth shattering, but just not up to my Disney expectations. We walked around the area, and really wondered how many "crashers" they get at the Boardwalk and the Beachclub, you can just wander around with no cares. Ate at Spoodles, Cape May, Hurricane Hanas, and had a drink at the pool bar at Luna Park. The bus service is interesting, seems BW is always first to be picked up, and last to be let off!!! Why they don't have there own bus I don't understand, and then have Swan, Dolphin and Beach and Yacht together? We had a great trip, maybe my epectations were set too high for the resort, but I can't wait till my next stay at VWL!!

Wow! I am sorry you did not have a magical experience.... maybe a different resort is for you. Maybe OKW would have the service you desire?

I just get the feeling the treat the studios as second class citizens, are you expected to buy extra plates, and silverware??? There was exactly 4 plates, bowls, knives, forks and spoons, and 2 coffee cups. Washing the paper bowls was interesting.

Did you try calling housekeeping to request more?

My understanding is that they limit the supply because:

1. With something plates and plasticware, you have to swap it out between guests for sanitary reasons. They don't want to just put a stack of plates or plasticware in rooms and trust that people won't leave...ahem...surprises behind for future guests.

2. If they put a large supply in the rooms, they would just disappear courtesy of those who take everything that isn't nailed down. ;)

And they can't put proper dishes and silverware in the rooms because there is no dishwasher and just the tiny sink.

I'd be really surprised if they tried to charge extra for additional plates and utensils. I think the standard supply is used more to discourage waste than to save money.

We stay at BWV in a one bed room BW view, try to get top floor for the noise you talked about. Everything you said is true, but we like that action and the view at night is the best in disney.

We just returned yesterday from BWV also. Our first trip and our first trip as DVC owners.

Our room was very nice and clean # 3119. All new soaps, equal number of shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel :thumbsup2 Sheets and towels were fresh and clean. I must admit I did launder our dish towel a couple of times and ran the dishwasher about every other day (we alternated between using the bowls and plates)

Coming back from Magic Kingdom, BWV is the first bus stop. Every other time we toured a few other resorts first before we came home as the OP described.

I'll be writing up a full trippie when I have a few minutes but wanted to let you know that our room was up to our Disney expectations. I'm hoping your experience was the exception, not the rule.

My family would like to try one of the other DVC resorts. Perhaps VWL.

Regards,
TK

We just returned yesterday from BWV also. Our first trip and our first trip as DVC owners.

Our room was very nice and clean # 3119. All new soaps, equal number of shampoo, conditioner, and bath gel :thumbsup2 Sheets and towels were fresh and clean. I must admit I did launder our dish towel a couple of times and ran the dishwasher about every other day (we alternated between using the bowls and plates)

Coming back from Magic Kingdom, BWV is the first bus stop. Every other time we toured a few other resorts first before we came home as the OP described.

I'll be writing up a full trippie when I have a few minutes but wanted to let you know that our room was up to our Disney expectations. I'm hoping your experience was the exception, not the rule.

My family would like to try one of the other DVC resorts. Perhaps VWL.

Regards,
TK

REALLY looking forward to your full trip report. We own at BWV, but have only been there twice.

Wow! I am sorry you did not have a magical experience.... maybe a different resort is for you. Maybe OKW would have the service you desire?

Service was great ie: when I called for shampoo it came, when I called for bowls and spoons it came. OKW was great, never had an issue, but this was also the first time I have stayed in a studio at WDW, only studios I've stayed in were at VB. Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but i've been a member since 2002, so I do know what to expect. Could have been just luck of the draw with the cleaning crew that day.

Did you try calling housekeeping to request more?

My understanding is that they limit the supply because:

1. With something plates and plasticware, you have to swap it out between guests for sanitary reasons. They don't want to just put a stack of plates or plasticware in rooms and trust that people won't leave...ahem...surprises behind for future guests.

2. If they put a large supply in the rooms, they would just disappear courtesy of those who take everything that isn't nailed down. ;)

And they can't put proper dishes and silverware in the rooms because there is no dishwasher and just the tiny sink.

I'd be really surprised if they tried to charge extra for additional plates and utensils. I think the standard supply is used more to discourage waste than to save money.

It totally makes sense what you are saying, but, there should be some way for housekeeping to know how many are in the room and for how long you are there. Front desk knows, so why not housekeeping, they get reports on when to do T&T, the fact that on T&T day I did not get replenished in the kitchenette was kind of odd I thought. (but I realize they may assign you a room, but then if you don't like it, you go elsewhere) I have always gotten the coffee packets replaced, laudry soap and kitchen dish towel replaced on T&T day. I just don't like to feel needy and having to call for everything.

We were at WL in May, our Mousekeeper could not even speak english...no joke, I tried to tell her something and no comprende. Then one day we had a male mousekeeper, and that is just what it looked like... when we returned, just like my son had cleaned the room. The covers were throwned over the bed, partial towel replacement, no shampoo, etc, you get the picture. This is the lodge not the villas. I think Disney is short handed. I own at VWL and BWV's... I love the area you stayed at, I sat on my balcony at night to just watch the action. It was not loud to us, when the door was shut. I am sorry you did not have a great stay, if I run out of something, I ask. I just remembered what I needed from the maid... coffee. They had not left it the day before. Will I go back to WL? You better believe I will! I am always running short on points. If I had a dirty sheet, you had better believe I would have had a clean one sent up. That's where I draw the line.

It totally makes sense what you are saying, but, there should be some way for housekeeping to know how many are in the room and for how long you are there. Front desk knows, so why not housekeeping...

Well, they wouldn't know how many arriving guests when they service the room. Even if they did, I assume that many people wouldn't even use the plates and bowls. Adding more to the room would just lead to more waste when the guests departed.

As for the T&T day, it sure seems like something that could (should) be replenished, but I don't know for certain. Our longest Studio stay was only 3 nights. Sorry.

Service was great ie: when I called for shampoo it came, when I called for bowls and spoons it came. OKW was great, never had an issue, but this was also the first time I have stayed in a studio at WDW, only studios I've stayed in were at VB. Not sure if you were being sarcastic or not, but i've been a member since 2002, so I do know what to expect. Could have been just luck of the draw with the cleaning crew that day.

Sorry if I was unclear.... I was not being sarcastic. I think in the hustle and bustle of BWV, BCV, and maybe a couple others, that one can feel... annonimous. Like waiting in line and you're just the next person. Some other resorts have a casual, personal feel to them. Glad your service was great.

Wow! Interesting! I was thinking about using some VWL points at BWV in the future, but this gives me a pause.

Don't worry about it. I own at both VWL and BWV and love both for different reasons. It's nice to have a variety of locations to choose from!

wildernessDad said:

Don't worry about it. I own at both VWL and BWV and love both for different reasons. It's nice to have a variety of locations to choose from!

Like Inkmahm, we own at both VWL and BWV. And WDad...you KNOW how much we love VWL! Well, we really, really enjoy BWV too! So much that after one stay we purchased a resale contract there. :thumbsup2

I agree that even though we've been very fortunate with the cleanliness of our rooms, mousekeeping appears to be an area that Disney could improve in. Hate to use the old adage, but the truth is it is "hard to get good people" willing to work those kinds of jobs for that kind of pay.

Sorry if I was unclear.... I was not being sarcastic. I think in the hustle and bustle of BWV, BCV, and maybe a couple others, that one can feel... annonimous. Like waiting in line and you're just the next person. Some other resorts have a casual, personal feel to them. Glad your service was great.

Thanks - that clears it up. But that could be it, we love Vero also, guess I do like the more laid back feeling. I felt like every time I turned around the kids (I was there with a 7 and 8 year old - also first trip without DH and DD age 14) were asking for something, get me this, can I have that, can I shoot hoops, can I play this game, which I'm far from scrooge like, but after awhile it was old. guess that is what I like about the other resorts, the activities are there, but you have to search it out, where BWV its really in your face. Not a bad thing, just not my cup of tea! I just felt like the bad mom/auntie constantly saying NO, NO, NO which does get tireing!! The housekeeping issue could be said for all the resorts at this point, so that is really moot. Though we did find the "Community Hall" the last day, and checked it out, wondered why when you check in, they don't put the information in your packet. The girls in the community hall felt the same thing, which is a shame, because it looked like they had some fun stuff going on, just hardly any kids doing it!

I like all the DVC resorts for different reasons, and often different seasons ( love BWV in the spring, WLV in the fall/winter, etc ). Part of the problem with Mousekeeping is that they sometimes have contract workers who do not work for Disney. I've seen most of them in the value resorts but perhaps they are used where needed? I'd never settle for a stained or ripped sheet either and sadly there have been more of those lately- no need to settle for second class and for something that at home, you'd have tossed in the trash. My funniest mousekeeper story was at BWV years ago. We'd gone to the grocery and my family of 6 was waiting past 4:00 to have access to our room. As our groceries melted, around 4:45 I went to the front desk to insist that we be able to at least put up our groceries even if the room wasn't ready. The CM reluctantly agreed. As we put our card key in the slot and opened the door, there was our mousekeeper watching her soap opera!!! I guess she wasn't going to confirm the room as being ready until her show was over. Now I can laugh about it but at the time, with four whiny and tired kids, I wasn't having a magical moment. ---Kathy

I like all the DVC resorts for different reasons, and often different seasons ( love BWV in the spring, WLV in the fall/winter, etc ). Part of the problem with Mousekeeping is that they sometimes have contract workers who do not work for Disney. I've seen most of them in the value resorts but perhaps they are used where needed? I'd never settle for a stained or ripped sheet either and sadly there have been more of those lately- no need to settle for second class and for something that at home, you'd have tossed in the trash. My funniest mousekeeper story was at BWV years ago. We'd gone to the grocery and my family of 6 was waiting past 4:00 to have access to our room. As our groceries melted, around 4:45 I went to the front desk to insist that we be able to at least put up our groceries even if the room wasn't ready. The CM reluctantly agreed. As we put our card key in the slot and opened the door, there was our mousekeeper watching her soap opera!!! I guess she wasn't going to confirm the room as being ready until her show was over. Now I can laugh about it but at the time, with four whiny and tired kids, I wasn't having a magical moment. ---Kathy

Well, that would have gotten to me! I really try to tune the world out while I am at Disney... that is why we go (one reason). I stay a happy, wonderful person:laughing: , but I would not have been there long enough yet for that to have happened!:) Every resort has mousekeeping situations, I love VWL and BWV's. :love:

Like Inkmahm, we own at both VWL and BWV. And WDad...you KNOW how much we love VWL! Well, we really, really enjoy BWV too! So much that after one stay we purchased a resale contract there. :thumbsup2

I agree that even though we've been very fortunate with the cleanliness of our rooms, mousekeeping appears to be an area that Disney could improve in. Hate to use the old adage, but the truth is it is "hard to get good people" willing to work those kinds of jobs for that kind of pay.
Yep, you love the V-Dub-L! I know that you do!

Thank you Inkmahm as well!

Okay, you've convinced me to go ahead with a plan to use some VWL points at BWV. But now I am scared that I will like it 'too much' and have to add on! Hmm, not a bad idea at that. Uh oh...

It sounds like you do like the more laid back feeling. BWV is the "busyest" of the DVC resorts - yet its also one of the handiest. The theme pool is right there - even from the far end of the long hallways its still closer than getting to a lot of the pools from the DVC units - but the noise of the pool can be heard from a large number of the rooms. Epcot is right there - unfortunately, so are the fireworks. The entertainment and bars are right there, unfortunately when you are thinking about sleeping. The surrey bikes and games are right there - with their bells, calling you to shell out money.

There are some really sweet spots at Boardwalk - the Bellvue Lounge is usually quiet. The gardens over on the Inn side are a real treat to walk through and enjoy - the pool over there is often empty and quiet. I like mid-afternoons on the porch in a rocker. But more of the resort is themed as an amusement park - and they aren't noted for being quiet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter