Just Back--Contemporary/Shades of Green

DancingBear

DIS Veteran
I hope to post on the trip reports board, but some impressions about our stay at the Contemporary (via Shades of Green relocation):

We were in 7201 and 7202 (North Garden Wing), the closest rooms to the main building, which was great for the refillable mugs and catching the monorail. View of the Electrical Water Pageant from our window. Also convenient to the Guest Laundry, just down the hall on our floor (but laundry was expensive--$2 to wash, $2 for 30 minutes of drying time--quarters went fast!). Ice machine was a bit of a hike.

CM at check-in asked if we had cell phones and kindly pointed out the huge charges if you used the room phones.

A bit of confusion on getting our room cleaned the first day (Sunday), but during the weekdays had the same housekeeper, who was great---kept asking how my DW was doing (she was fighting a sinus infection), left us extra towels, quickly figured out that we were using our comforters from home instead of the hotel bedspreads/blankets and made up the beds accordingly.

DW loves the funky Jetson's room decor---sure, we wouldn't have that at home, but we're at Disney World! DM didn't like it. I enjoyed it, but what I really liked was the big rooms---2yo DS slept (mostly) on the daybed, DW and I each had our own queen bed to crash on, liked the separate water closet for the toilet. I thought the counter space/mirror in the water closet was odd, but quickly found that counter was great for keeping all of our passes and other supplies---I could go in there after DS fell asleep and get organized for the next day!

Nothing special about the food at the Food N Fun Center, but it's open 24 hours, and being so close we got great use from our refillable mugs. When trying to kill time with my 2yo on one of the rainy days, the big convention floor area was a godsend---chased him up and down the halls, practiced escalator rides, pounded on the baby grand piano, looked at the big tree in the convention lobby area. DS also loved watching the monorail come and go, inside and outside the resort.

I find the interior of the main building a little disjointed, with check-in, guest services and the snack bar on the first floor, then the Grand Canyon concourse area on the fourth floor. GF, WL and AKL seem to have more understandable traffic flows to me.

LOVE the location! We took advantage of being able to walk back and forth to MK several times. Used the resort monorail to go to the Poly and to GF, and took the boat to WL, walked over to Fort Wilderness and took the boat back. Did the two-monorail trip back and forth to Epcot--very smooth, and we rode in the front of the monorail to Epcot twice!

Glad you had a fun trip! I really love the Contemporary - it reminds me of when I was little and will always be the Ultimate Disney to me!

Melissa

d-r, DW felt the same way (although she didn't go to WDW until as an adult)---the Contemporary was really a symbol of WDW to her---we were so lucky to have the SoG relocate there!

Thanks for the review, DancingBear!!

I am GLAD that SoG will not be done before our trip 12/6/03!! I am really looking forward to being at CR!! Had you stayed at SoG before? Did you find the CR rooms comparable in size?

Are there refrigerators available for rent at CR, as they are at SoG? I'd like to keep some groceries (milk, etc) for use during the week.

How was/were the pool(s)? Were they far from the North Garden Wing?

Thanks for the info!!;)

Oh yay!!! I'm so excited that you had a great time, we're going to the CR through SOG this March!!

Did you make any room requests before you arrived?

Originally posted by CutlerP
Thanks for the review, DancingBear!!

<snip> Did you find the CR rooms comparable in size?

Are there refrigerators available for rent at CR, as they are at SoG? I'd like to keep some groceries (milk, etc) for use during the week. <snip>

The rooms are slightly smaller than SoG. SoG has the largest standard rooms on the property (at this point, any way).

Fridges are available for rent for $10/nt, plus tax. Cheaper to bring a cooler or buy your own dorm size fridge if you're driving down and staying for any length of time or know you'll be coming multiple times over the years. My parents bought a nice one that can keep things hot or cold, can be plugged into the car and absolutely love it. Just a thought. :)

As FirstNo said, rooms are somewhat smaller than the Shades of Green rooms (at least pre-renovation), which were VERY large, but MUCH larger than at WL.

We requested connecting rooms (doorway between the rooms, as opposed to "adjoining" rooms, which may or may not be connected. Also requested to be on the playground side of the building (which is the side facing the playground, marina, pool, South Garden Wing).

We had a cooler, but my parents also have one of those coolers which plugs into the car lighter and into the wall in the room, which is very convenient.

Unfortunately we didn't get to swim, but the pool is just across the courtyard between the North and South Garden Wings--closer to the South Garden Wing, but not very far in the scheme of things.

Although we liked the relative peace and quiet of Shades of Green in our prior trips, and SoG still has a very good location, there was a real sense of excitement and activity at the Comtemporary, with the monorails coming and going, views of Space Mountain, the Main St Train Station and Space Mountain, and all of the boat traffic. On our arrival day, for example, my son and I grabbed the monorail to Poly, then took the boat launch from Poly to MK, then the ferry boat from MK to TTC, then back on the monorail to return to the Contemporary.

Sounds Great!!

My in-laws have one of those plug-in coolers, too, and love it!! Unfortunately (or fortunately, depending on your outlook) we are flying instead of driving so will probably end up renting a fridge.

I did request connecting rooms as well as a bayside...but I was told by the agent that due to the "special circumstances" (they had JUST finished the re-negotiations) that they can't guarantee any kind of room locations. Maybe I'll call closer to D-Day (that's Disney Day..:D :) :p ) to see what they can do.

One thing that surprised me is the fact that the balance of the payment for the room is due a month before the trip. Last year at the *old* SoG, we didn't pay the balance until checkout!!

Thanks again for the info!:cool:

One thing that surprised me is the fact that the balance of the payment for the room is due a month before the trip. Last year at the *old* SoG, we didn't pay the balance until checkout!!

I didn't realize this....is this for sure? We have 3 rooms reserved (1 for us, 1 for my parents, 1 for my MIL) and I thought we could just pay upon arrival. We all have paid our one night deposit. TIA!

Originally posted by Alice28

I didn't realize this....is this for sure? We have 3 rooms reserved (1 for us, 1 for my parents, 1 for my MIL) and I thought we could just pay upon arrival. We all have paid our one night deposit. TIA!

After you pay your one night's deposit, the balance is not due until arrival, just as it has always been (unless things have changed in the past 4 months). The agents know they are supposed to tell the guests this (and many times they are told, but because the confirmation from Disney states something different, they call back to confirm any way) both for the NW/SoG, as well as typical overflow Disney resort booking. :)

Yes, other than the deposit (and imprinting the credit card at check-in), we did not actually pay until checkout.

Phew- thank you for your prompt response! Our tax return is going to pay a big role in paying for the bulk of this trip and I got a little scared when I saw the post about paying one month in advance!

Glad to hear that, FirstNo....I was not informed of this by the agent. (and there were 2 agents, because I had to revise my dates and received both the original confirmation and a revised confirmation) The only info I knew concerning payment was the clause on the bottom of the (Disney) confirmation.

Maybe I'll call SoG just to confirm, anyway. (That's me, worry worry worry):rolleyes: :rolleyes:

We were in CR/SOG at trhe beginning of Nov, and I have mixed feelings about CR.

- loved the room - huge, with a view of space mountain, and Ilike the "Jetson decor" (what a great way to describe it!!)

- didn't like the landscaping as much as other places - neat and trim but rather plain

- our room was about as far as you could get from the tower - a rather boring walk to the monorail

- walking to and especially from the MK was GREAT!

- overall themeing of CR is just not to my taste as much as some of the more "tropical" ones

- if I were paying full fee to stay at a deluxe, I'd opt for AKL

- I can't wait to try SOG when it reopens

It was a great trip, and I am glad I got to try a monorail resort, but I actually like PO (both sides) better!

Can someone tell me how to request where your room is located? I know that you do it 3-4 days in advance, preferably in a FAX, but do I send it to the Contemporary or SoG? On our print-out confirmation sheet it says connecting rooms guaranteed for families, which I am happy about, but I would like to be as close to the tower as possible; if we didn't have the kids, I wouldn't care, but we will be going with a 5 year old and a 20 month old. I can just picture us straggling to and from our room every day from the monorail or busses...I am planning on taking the walkway to and from the MK and I am so grateful for the CR being so close to the park we will be visiting the most. :Pinkbounc

Originally posted by Alice28
Can someone tell me how to request where your room is located? I know that you do it 3-4 days in advance, preferably in a FAX, but do I send it to the Contemporary or SoG? On our print-out confirmation sheet it says connecting rooms guaranteed for families, which I am happy about, but I would like to be as close to the tower as possible; if we didn't have the kids, I wouldn't care, but we will be going with a 5 year old and a 20 month old. <snip>:Pinkbounc

Don't send the request to SoG. They have no control over where you will be placed. It's Disney's hotel, send your request to them.

As for your guarantee, I would be sure to bring whatever it is you have in writing with you. When SoG was open, we could NOT guarantee ANY request, connecting rooms included. We also were supposed to advise guests (I know I certainly did) that were booked into overflow and were requesting this that and the other that it was just a request and NOT a guarantee. So, if you have something, in writing, from Disney telling you you'll get you'll connecting rooms come heck or high water, I'd be sure to bring it....just in case. Have a nice trip! :)

Thanks FirstNo for your quick reply. I was kind of surprised when I saw my confirmation that Disney sent me regarding the room connection. I don't even think we requested it, but at the time of reserving the rooms, I said it would be us, my parents and my mother in law booking the 3 rooms. Then when I got my confirmation letter saying we paid the deposit it says "Connecting rooms guaranteed for families." I will bring that with me and I will fax off my request probably around 2/23?? (We arrive 2/27.) Thanks so much for your help!

Does anyone have the fax number to use for a room assignment request? 36 days to go!

Hi FirstNo, in your post you mentioned:

"We also were supposed to advise guests (I know I certainly did) that were booked into overflow..."

Is SoG still able to offer overflow rates (now or after the remodel)? I thought I remember hearing that Disney had discontinued this practice.

Thanks, Steve

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter