Just read the following re: CRV

WendyinNC

DIS Veteran
The following was on Deb's Website:

The RUMOR is that the former location of the North Garden Wing will be the site of a new tower-style Disney Vacation Club Resort in the next two to three years. This is only a RUMOR and nothing has been confirmed yet by the Walt Disney Company or by DVC; however, a few months ago, an architectural firm had concept art for the new tower posted on its website. The artwork disappeared within hours of its discovery, however.

We met with our guide the other day, we are staying at SSR till the 25th. He wouldnt tell us about CRV, but, he mentioned it in a fashion that if you look at most of the DVC Resorts, except the first one, OKW and SSR, all the other resorts were add-ons to existing resorts. He wouldnt commit to saying that CRV will happen, but he gave the old wink-nod sign. He said SSR will sell out in 3.5 years, not the expected 5 years. AKL is obviously the next big push....then I would bet CRV will pop up after that.

When meeting with my guide last week. He didn't confirm CRV but he said that something like that couldn't happen till SSR was sold out and AKV was well on its way. ;)

He also said that it would need to cost a lot more per point. When I asked how much he said maybe $10 or $20 a point more.

Who would be will to pay $120 a point for CRV?:scared1:

When meeting with my guide last week. He didn't confirm CRV but he said that something like that couldn't happen till SSR was sold out and AKV was well on its way. ;)

He also said that it would need to cost a lot more per point. When I asked how much he said maybe $10 or $20 a point more.

If it takes CRV 2 to 3 years to get off the ground I could see that being the starting price. Inflation and popularity.

Well, I wouldn't, but then a few years ago (when we were paying $67/point)we were saying "who would be willing to pay $90:laughing: /point for DVC?".

Well, I wouldn't, but then a few years ago (when we were paying $67/point)we were saying "who would be willing to pay $90:laughing: /point for DVC?".

Exactly. Rumors are pegging AKV points to be about $104 per point when they go on sale to the public. If CRV were 2 or 3 years away...I can certainly see a price between $114 and $124 a point.

A DVC CM told me no way CRV will happen and my guide told me if it was in the future it was years off.

Also mentioned SSR should sell out by the end of this year.

We met with our guide the other day, we are staying at SSR till the 25th. He wouldnt tell us about CRV, but, he mentioned it in a fashion that if you look at most of the DVC Resorts, except the first one, OKW and SSR, all the other resorts were add-ons to existing resorts.
Yep...if you throw out about half of the DVC units sold, he's exactly right!

Rumor aside, I believe Disney announced last year that they would not be building any more hotels onsite at WDW -- that the only new lodging construction there would be DVC. When you're talking about existing hotels facing the need for serious rennovation (or lack of demand in the case of AKL), it makes a lot more financial sense to tear down a North Garden Wing and sell DVC timeshares than it does to completely refurbish the place for rental income.

Well, technically, the only "start from scratch" DVC resort at WDW is OKW.

SSR was the site of the old Disney Institute and likely had some of the infrastructure, like water, sewer, electric, roads to the resort, etc., in place.

Based on the struggles I saw in my own new subdivision (we bought in phase I) with the developer and the county in getting those in place, and that was for <200 houses, I can't imagine that is trivial? Maybe that, and of course the "name brand" appeal of adding onto an existing resort, adds to Disney's reasons for wanting to do resort add-ons.

......SSR was the site of the old Disney Institute and likely had some of the infrastructure, like water, sewer, electric, roads to the resort, etc., in place.....

Look at some old DI pictures. You'll recognize some buildings also.

the "name brand" appeal of adding onto an existing resort, adds to Disney's reasons for wanting to do resort add-ons.

There is high value here. Who, before DVC, didn't have a favorite resort at WDW? Mine was the CR. By adding on to existing hotels such as AKL, Yacht Club, etc. folks have the ability to stay at that old favorite resort. By having a DVC population at each resort Disney assures themselves few vacancies during non-peak times and consumers have more variety to choose from.

The frustrating thing about DVC is you'd love to stay at some other resorts (GF, CR, Poly, etc.) but the point totals are too high. This eliminates that issue for the DVC member.

would love a CR DVC resort - oh well here is hopping.

I though the rumor was a Calif DVC resort was next, once AKV was up and going?

Exactly. Rumors are pegging AKV points to be about $104 per point when they go on sale to the public. If CRV were 2 or 3 years away...I can certainly see a price between $114 and $124 a point.

Not really a rumor that AKV will be $104, since it has been the announced price already.

...and of course the "name brand" appeal of adding onto an existing resort, adds to Disney's reasons for wanting to do resort add-ons.
Great point that I missed when I first read your post. As JWG said above, there is a great deal of value in some of those brands.

I can't tell you how many times I've discussed Disney with friends/relatives and they've asked, "Have you ever stayed at...?" The most often mentioned venue I get asked about is GF, but I've been asked about most of the other Deluxe's and a few of the Mods -- especially POR.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter