Keep reservation or risk waitlist???

jxh1

Supreme God of All Things Disney!
My family and I have a reservation at OKW for the beginning of October, we were hoping to stay at the Beach Club or Boardwalk (using DVC points) but those were booked solid due to the start of the Food & Wine Festival. We are on the waitlist for them, but my question to you all is this. With the new waitlist policy that Disney has implemented, do you think we would be better off just sticking with our OKW reservation and enjoying the peace and quiet of the pools there or do we see if we can get bumped to the Beach Club or Boardwalk and enjoy the location and easy access to Epcot and MGM but have to put up with a more crowded resort and full pools? We have not stayed at OKW, Beach Club or Boardwalk before, but they all have their pros and cons.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

I used the automatic waitlist before 6/1 and it worked out just fine for us. We even had it set up that it went ahead and borrowed 13 points for the new reservation. Had it set up that we went with either VWL or BCV which ever one came available first(got VWL).

I would stay on the waitlist. If it comes through for either BCV or BWV...great. If it doesn't, be happy that you have a reservation at OKW. I don't understand why the new waitlist policy would affect your plans, unless you waitlisted day by day instead of for your whole stay.

Good luck!

Donna

No harm in staying on the waitlist if you waitlisted for the entire stay to become available. I wouldn't do individual day waitlisting for that time at this point, though. I wouldn't want to risk moving back and forth!

Good luck.

Here is the new policy as quoted from Mouseplanet.com -

DVC changes wait list, exchange procedures

Perhaps tired of members who made multiple wait list reservations, only to decline the new reservation when available or not be reachable by phone to confirm the change, the Disney Vacation Club has implemented automatic confirmations for waitlisted accommodations.

Once a member has made a waitlist request, the request remains active until 31 days prior to the desired check-in date. When a match is made, the new reservation is automatically confirmed, and the member notified in writing, with all other waitlist requests or previously reserved accommodations for those dates automatically cancelled. Unconfirmed waitlist requests can be cancelled at any time by calling Member Services. This will likely make more waitlisted reservations become available, as there will be no waitlist calls at the 31-day mark that go unanswered, leaving the rooms unbooked while a waitlist exists for them.

Effective July 1, a similar procedure will be in place for all exchanges through Interval International. When a member search request for accommodations finds a match, Interval International will automatically confirm that booking, cancel all other searches attached to that request, and notify the member in writing. Standard cancellation procedures will then apply to that reservation.

What does this mean for DVC members who often make multiple waitlist or exchange requests, planning to make a decision when accommodations become available? Don't make frivolous requests just to see what's available. If you aren't willing to stay somewhere, don't put your name on the list, because you won't get any choice once one of your options becomes available. It's yours and all of your other waitlist or exchange requests will disappear.

donmil723 -

The only reason I'm a bit concerned is that the Beach Club and Boardwalk will probably be a lot busier due to their proximity to Epcot and the start of the Food & Wine Festival (that's why they have been booked up for months). I like the location of both of those, but I'm not sure it's worth the location if we can't get a seat at the pool, and everything else at the resort is crowded. With the new waitlist policy, if something opens up, they don't give you a call and then you have the option of keeping your old reservation or the new one, they automatically change it, then let you know that they did it. We haven't stayed at any of these resorts at this time of the year, we are going at this time because of the low crowds, etc. and didn't really think that Beach Club and Boardwalk would be so busy. We won't be spending a ton of time at the pools, etc., but probably a few hours everyday. Thanks for your response.

What size villa are you staying in? That would affect my answer. If it is 1BR or above try OKW since you haven't stayed there before and it will definitely give you that relaxed mood. If it is a studio consider whether you want two queen beds or a queen bed and full size pull out sofa. For a studio I prefer having the sofa but not everyone feels the same. If you plan to spend a lot of time at the F&W festival and want to be able to walk to EPCOT then stay on the waitlist. I have found the bus service from OKW to EPCOT is good but then we don't do the F&W so don't know how that affects it. I like the pool at BCV but it can get very busy and then there is the problem of no chairs etc. Can't say how that is during the time frame you are going but we have run into a problem in May and in December getting chairs. Have never had a problem at OKW but then we use the quiet pools as well as the main pool. You are right there are good things about all the DVC resorts so in the end it really comes down to what your family wants for this trip. Good luck with your decision and whatever you do I am sure you will have a great trip.

castleri -

Actually, we are staying in 2 studios (my wife, daughter and I in one and her parents in the other) so this makes a bump up to the Beach Club or Boardwalk even less likely since we need two rooms. The 2 queen bed/sofa thing isn't really important to us and the F&W Festival isn't a big thing either. We will have a rental car so the bus service isn't a big deal either. The main thing I like about the Beach Club and Boardwalk is the ability to walk to Epcot and MGM (besides the theming and huge pool). It looks we are leaning more towards enjoying the serenity of OKW - thanks for your input!

donmil723 -

The only reason I'm a bit concerned is that the Beach Club and Boardwalk will probably be a lot busier due to their proximity to Epcot and the start of the Food & Wine Festival (that's why they have been booked up for months). I like the location of both of those, but I'm not sure it's worth the location if we can't get a seat at the pool, and everything else at the resort is crowded. With the new waitlist policy, if something opens up, they don't give you a call and then you have the option of keeping your old reservation or the new one, they automatically change it, then let you know that they did it. We haven't stayed at any of these resorts at this time of the year, we are going at this time because of the low crowds, etc. and didn't really think that Beach Club and Boardwalk would be so busy. We won't be spending a ton of time at the pools, etc., but probably a few hours everyday. Thanks for your response.

All the DVC resorts are planned to have maximum occupancy (95%?) year round, that is the business model under which timeshares work. A waitlist for rooms has very little impact on how busy the resort will be, it only impacts whether those staying there will mostly be those who own at the resort or those wanting to try a different resort from their home resort.

My bigger concern about your waitlist comes from your need for 2 rooms. Before you waitlist, make sure that MS can set it up so that they do not automatically confirm one reservation until the other one comes thru as well.

Best of luck -- Suzanne

castleri -

Actually, we are staying in 2 studios (my wife, daughter and I in one and her parents in the other) so this makes a bump up to the Beach Club or Boardwalk even less likely since we need two rooms. The 2 queen bed/sofa thing isn't really important to us and the F&W Festival isn't a big thing either. We will have a rental car so the bus service isn't a big deal either. The main thing I like about the Beach Club and Boardwalk is the ability to walk to Epcot and MGM (besides the theming and huge pool). It looks we are leaning more towards enjoying the serenity of OKW - thanks for your input!

I would add one other thing to consider - this is based strictly on a one week reservation and you would need to figure the points for your actual dates yourself. If you get the BWV or BCV reservation it will cost more points for the two studios than your current OKW one. If you are willing to use that many points I would look at getting a 2 BR lockoff at OKW. This will give you a studio with the kitchenette and a small balcony which is what you already have for the parents and a 1 BR for you and your daughter. It will also give you a big balcony, jacuzzi, full laundry room and kitchen. We love the 2 BRs just for the balcony and being able to eat breakfast there and enjoy some adult beverages there in the evenings. During the week this is the same number of points as 2 studios at BCV. For a full week of 7 nights it would be 20 points more than 2 studios at BCV but so worth it. This is of course if you want to be close to the relatives. With a lock off you can actually have the total privacy or as much togetherness as you want. Save the trip to BCV for a time that is not likely to be so crowded. I too would be worried about that during that time period.

donmil723 -

We have stayed at the BWV in October, 2003 and at the BCV in October, 2005 and 2006. We spend entire days at the resort only venturing out in the evenings to eat or shop. I have never felt that the pool areas were that crowded. The Marketplace & Beaches and Cream at BCV and the Boardwalk Bakery can get pretty busy at peak times though. Of course, they also seem busy in March and May too. You are right that it is very convenient to simply walk to Epcot.

Good luck with your waitlist if that is what you decide you want. I agree with the others that it will be very difficult to get 2 studios.

Enjoy the F&W Festival. DH and I are really looking forward to it again this year.

Donna

You will be happy wherever you stay. As you said, each resort has its pros and cons. If you plan to be at Epcot a lot for F&W, then there is no harm in staying on the waitlist. After all, it doesn't cost anything. And FWIW, I don't think it will come through anyway. We were waitlisted last year for Oct. and were on the waitlist for months and it never came through (during F&W is the only time we have never gotten our waitlist).

My bigger concern about your waitlist comes from your need for 2 rooms. Before you waitlist, make sure that MS can set it up so that they do not automatically confirm one reservation until the other one comes thru as well.

Best of luck -- Suzanne

i'm not sure what your current ressie is for but I have just been told by MS that waitlisting for 2 rooms is very risky as the computer may cancel your original ressie when 1 room becomes available :scared1:

i am lookig to change froma !BR to 2 studios and cant waitlist for this as i might not end up with enough beds for everyone :sad2:

I'd be more concerned about the "automatic" waitlist moving one room and not the other. I think that's risky at this point in time. As far as the capacity of the resorts, we always stay at the Boardwalk over F&W (don't particularly like F&W, but the kids have time off in October). We always find a pool chair and don't find the resort overly crowded. As Suzanne said, the resorts are all supposed to be running at 95% occupancy (or something) year round when the system is working - there is no better or worse time to try a DVC resort from an occupancy perspective - although its possible that the Inn has a much higher occupancy over F&W that would make the pool more crowded. (I suspect from walking the halls that the Inn is mostly grown ups who are indulging in F&W, and therefore aren't using the pool much - not that the Inn is kid free during that time, just that it appeals more to the childless).

Your other issue is that ONE of you might clear and the other one wouldn't. If that's a problem I would just stay at OKW.

Your trip overlaps with the beginning of the F&W at EPCOT.

If your plans involve F&W activities then I would waitlist for BCV or BWV.

If not then stay at OKW and get the space and relaxation factors.

FWIW at OKW I would check availability for 2bedroom LO [as a earlier reply mentioned] this would give you more space and flexibility re privacy, nap times and together times than two studios does for not very many more points.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter