Lama pa'ipa'i on the Lanai – an Aulani TR -Aloha and Mahalo Aulani! Link to PTR 11/5

I don't know how well I'd handle being in an airplane for that long. I'm glad you made it there without any big issues. I'd have been pretty frustrated with the guy at Alamo though, especially after just sitting in a plane for that long. :lmao::rotfl2:

Glenn made a good point. I'm kind of curious about that paring knife too... no security issues???? :confused3

My goodness! Your departure day was a feat of accomplishment! Those mental lists and otherwise can scramble the brain but at least you were able to fall back asleep after your 3am cutlery revelation! Lip gloss - check, coffee - check, paring knife - check....sounds like you were good to go! :p

I can't wait to see photos of the resort in day time. Sounds like a lovely and relaxing way to start your trip.

This time I awoke at 3am to pouring rain and thoughts involving cutlery. Yes, cutlery.

:scared: Hopefully you didn't mention this to Jeff at the time.

1) I really don't like eating off of paper.

Really? I like it a lot. I always volunteer to do the dishes when we eat off of paper. :rotfl2:

I could not get it down/unlocked either. So I left it like that (well after I unhooked the chain and flushed manually lol).

Jeff had the day off anyway, right? :rotfl:

Just the way you want to start a vacation!:thumbsup2

Work was about as I've come to expect right before a vacation. Absolutely nuts with people who owed me feedback on items finally getting them to me…when I’m about to leave.

Pretty sure that's a sub-set of Murphy's Law.

Except….the big bag was overweight by 3 pounds.

:scared: That's a 2nd mortgage waiting to happen right there!

They also had a neat card outlining when service would be and it had some Hawaii trivia on the back which included a $10 coupon to Roy's. Score, we planned to go to Roy’s and it said you could use up to 4!

:woohoo: I bet their food is much better than United. :sad2:

After landing, collecting our bags was quick and painless. I had rented a car through Costco and we’d be using Alamo. I had probably re-booked the car no less than 4 times, getting a lower rate each time. It was a bit fascinating actually to see which car type had the best deal, I swear every re-booking had us in a different one.

I've been going through this same scenario. Some of the price drops are astounding!

Not because of lines but because the rental dude would NOT stop trying to upsell us into something different.

“A convertible, you must have a convertible!”

No. Last time we did that in Hawaii, it was broken into and it cost us $800 to fix

“What about this, or this? It’s only $100 more….”

Yeah, no. We are good.

“Really, you should upgrade, are you sure?”

Yep. Sure.

:sad2: I hate that. Guess what, buddy? When I made the reservation, I reserved what I wanted. That's kind of the point of making reservations.

Yeah, shows you a lot huh.

Standard TR practice. "The Tease". :rotfl:

For those that do not know, DVC members (and I assume those staying on points period whether a member themselves or not) get free parking.

That's what I've read. Hope it's the case!

Thanks for the heads up! Just wanted to let you know that I'm here and will be reading along. Once I get caught up with my paperwork, I'll be back to read all the details.

wow you must have really had some winds for over a 6 hour flight, i thought ours was under 5 when we left from portland.

that is a great thing about alaska air, you get that free drink to really feel like you are almost officially on vacation.

did they also give you guys the macadamia nuts, or cookies?

I'm here for the adventure! Thanks for the heads up :) Aulani is one of my home resorts, I can't wait to get there. Looks like it won't be until 2015 though.

Love the intro.

What a start to the trip. I would not be happy to begin the day with a broken toilet, hopefully Jeff was able to fix it with no problem.

$35 a day for parking! :faint:

Yay! You made it! I know you always have those last day "things" that come up and mess with your plans, but in true Cynthia style, you pulled it all off!

I have to ask - whose face is on your airplane tail?

Doesn't everyone have that kind of day on departure day?

It's their Eskimo logo, non Hawaii planes just have his face though they also have several other special painted planes, one with a copper river salmon that goes to Alaska "salmon thirty salmon" :rotfl:, 2-3 different Disneyland ones, and several others for local teams, etc.

Does Alaska Airlines charge you for the food/drink? That looked like a really nice meal!

I can't wait to see the pictures in the daylight!

Yes for everything but the snack (Hawaiian trail mix) and the complimentary Mai Tai. The food prices are quite reasonable though and it's good grub. Their small shuttle airline (Horizon) gives free beer and wine. Assuming there is no turbulence and they have drink service of course so it's maybe 50% of the time and only enough time for 1 but still...plus it's local good stuff!

:cool1: You're in Hawaii, You're in Hawaii,

Yes that excitement even with the time change happens. :yay:

Oh yes it does! we were very much :cool1: the minute we dumped those bags in the room

Have a feeling you might be up early. :cool2:

you think?

Hurrah and aloha.... "we've" arrived! Like Sheree, I am impressed with all of the activity you can compress into the few hours prior to departure! :thumbsup2 And, of course, I concur that lip gloss is a priority! ::yes:: And what is it with work people that they elect to return to you or ask you a question within 5 min of your planned departure?? :confused3 Happens here too... soooo annoying!

I think everyone has that happen on departure day, don't they? Unless you take it off which somehow I never manage to do. I was just glad that my dad and Jeff were amenable to the lip gloss run, though had we been late I'd never have lived it down.

Sad to hear Aulani doesn't make (or didn't that night) a great mai tai. Perhaps I can tutor them if they'd like to hire me. ;)

Seems like there was more I wanted to say but now I've forgotten. :rolleyes:

That would be a GREAT place to work for sure. I had heard ahead of time that in general the cocktails weren't so great so I mostly stuck to wine if ordering anything and either did cocktails out of our villa or from Monkeypod across the street. I did have a Mango Margarita that I really liked though at the O'leo room so they weren't "all" bad. And it wasn't bad...it just wasn't great either. It was pretty though!

Oops, sorry to steal your top of the page. :scared:

I found it hysterical that it was you actually.

The paring knife wasn't an issue with security?

Definitely should have been, it was longer in " than the limit and a fixed blade. Funny thing is I think it may have ended up in the carryon on the way back too but am not positive on that one.

Glad you made it to Aulani and looking forward to more pictures. What were your room requests?

For the first night I requested near lobby and highest floor possible. Not a whole lot of options on the standard rooms. My request was a bit more elaborate for the ocean view nights :lmao:

I can't believe you got sparing knife through security! That doesn't give me a very secure feeling.

Well swiss army type knives are back on the list as ok but this was bigger and a fixed blade so I was expecting it to get taken and went into it prepared for that.

The flight menu was quite interesting, it's been a long time since I have flown on anything that did those sorts of things.

Alaska has a lovely menu offering on flights over 2.5 hours, although I think the picnic packs are available on shorter ones. It's not a huge menu but it's good and in the $6-7 range, relatively fairly priced all things considered.

Doing a fly by just before I leave work and go home to bed to get rid of my infection since I leave for Disney in two days.

Loved your update. The air situation on the plane would have really bothered me.

Dinner doesn't look bad for airplane food.

Free Mai Tai! Who cares if it's good? It's free.

Your Mai Tai's at the resort look so pretty...sorry they weren't that good.

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: for getting your request for your room location.

Hi Cynthia
A lurker here popping in to tell you how much I love your trip reports. I sure enjoyed your joint report with MEK. Thanks so much for hours of enjoyment!

Hawaii!!! So lucky. It really is Paradise on Earth, isn't it? We've been twice and would go back more if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to fly there. We love it there. Our favourite island is Maui, but Aulani looks amazing.

Can't wait to read the rest of your TR and your planning TR with your family. Planning is half the fun, isn't it, even with the headaches that accompany it, especially with family dynamics involved!

Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading and appreciating your writing talent and many hours devoted to entertaining us.

Nora

I tell you... I tend to wake up in the middle of the night often right before a trip. I am going to try that note taking trick. Usually, I just fall back to sleep and then proceed to forget it come the next day. :rolleyes:

I write myself notes all the time...have a notepad and pen in the vanity for that very reason. It's pretty funny. But it helps. That and the reminders on the iPhone.

Flight looks like it was a good one except the air. I forgot the food for purchase on Alaska is actually fairly good. Looks like yours was even better.

Funny... I was in the mood for a mai tai last recently but felt too lazy to gather all the ingredients to make it. Guess what I bought? :rotfl: Yep, a trader vics predone mix. It is a tad sweet, but I expect it would be.

Cool that you got a coupon for Roys! (not that I know what that is) but cool nonetheless that you got a discount somewhere that you intended to eat anyway. :thumbsup2

Oh how funny is that! We had margaritas...amazing how sun showing up will inspire drinks like that and premix is darn handy (Costco in our case)! I've always had good luck with the food on Alaska. There used to be a Roy's here, in the Downtown Westin. Hawaiian Fusion. VERY yummy, I was sad that it left. I was pleased to learn there is one across the street from Aulani. I went into the trip with pretty high expectations for it and was a bit surprised to see a coupon at all.

Love the first pics coming in. Makes me not only excited for more...but to think about planning a trip myself!

Lots more to come, we took over 1000 pictures :rotfl: not that I plan to post them all but...

That's why I sometimes turn on my out of office 2 days ahead but with the correct days listed. No body bothers to read the actual dates and the panic happens while I can do something about it.

Yep, people would panic :rotfl: that's hysterical (and a good idea).

Doesn't always work - most things that mess me up are things delayed where they don't care if they get it back to me late, or change things last minute. :confused3

yep, exactly

You got a knife through security? Wow! I thought that was some bad foreshadowing hehehe.

I fully expected it to get taken. Perhaps the fact it was next to plates, bowls, silverware and wine glasses helped??? :confused3

Too bad about the heat on the flight. I had a flight like that last trip... Not fun!
Looks awesome so far, can't wait to see it in the day light!

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

It was very uncomfortable to be sure, but other than that, pretty painless all things considered. We were just so happy to be there!

Wow, that airplane food actually looked good! Aulani looks great at night.

Jill in CO

I could have bought and carried on, there are lots of nice options at our airport but I knew that the hot plate would be Hawaii themed, one of 2 options, and would be good.

It is SO pretty at night, I have much better pictures later.

So that's Alaska Airlines? Cool. :thumbsup2 Glad their service is good. We're flying Alaska from LAX to ZIH. I'm still looking for flights between SLC to LAX.

They have good service. I almost always get their fruit and cheese plate, or a picnic pack. I hate airfare roulette. UGH

I can't wait to see the daytime photos.

His and her cocktails. :laughing:

I have a bazillion so you'll get plenty. I loved the his and her cocktails!

Woo hoo for arriving to Hawaii, although it sounds like you had a very full day before arrival. That includes your 3am obsession with cutlery. :lmao: I just bought that fake silverware that looks like real silverware at BJ's for Nicks grad party. Now I realize that would make a wonderful addition to an owner's locker. Well, if they had ol's for Hawaii.

Yeah, packing it isn't nearly as fun as the ideal of the magic purple box showing up with it already in it! I've seen that fake stuff, it does look good. You can tell it's plastic when you use it though but it's pretty. I'm glad I had the real thing even if I don't love the ones I found at the 11th hour at the grocery story. We were both glad, they got a ton of use!

Anyho - sorry about the lack of circulating air on your flight. I really hate that because it makes me feel claustrophobic when I can't get a good breath of air. So frustrating.

I was worried that the sinus infection wasn't gone or I had a fever, it was actually really cool that my seat mate had the same issues and it made both of us feel better well not better, it was still uncomfortable but at least stress free that I was getting sick!

I'm glad your arrived safe and sound and "his & her Mai Tais" does sound like a great way to start your trip!

Such a lovely presentation!

You made it to HAWAII!!! Sounds like it was a very full first day but you're there! Woohoo!!!

And that's all that mattered, we were there! :cool1:

I don't know how well I'd handle being in an airplane for that long. I'm glad you made it there without any big issues. I'd have been pretty frustrated with the guy at Alamo though, especially after just sitting in a plane for that long. :lmao::rotfl2:

Hmmmn...no long flights for you then? Orlando is 5/5.5 from here so it's not that much different and coming back it's only 5:15 so really not all that bad. I was really impressed that Jeff didn't lose it with the Alamo guy. Really impressed. He was beyond annoying.

Glenn made a good point. I'm kind of curious about that paring knife too... no security issues???? :confused3

Nope, not a single issue. Packed next to the coffee, oatmeal, cereal bowls, cutting board, and silverware maybe made it seem ok? Who knows. I fully expected to lose it and had packed one I was prepared to have taken away.

My goodness! Your departure day was a feat of accomplishment! Those mental lists and otherwise can scramble the brain but at least you were able to fall back asleep after your 3am cutlery revelation! Lip gloss - check, coffee - check, paring knife - check....sounds like you were good to go! :p

I was thrilled I went back to sleep. Honestly if I hadn't written myself the note I probably wouldn't have so it was a good move even if I felt silly doing it.

I can't wait to see photos of the resort in day time. Sounds like a lovely and relaxing way to start your trip.

Lots and lots of photos...no shortage I promise! It was a lovely start.

:scared: Hopefully you didn't mention this to Jeff at the time.
:lmao:

no, not at the time but I did later and all he had to say was I'm glad you did! LOL.

Really? I like it a lot. I always volunteer to do the dishes when we eat off of paper. :rotfl2:

Every once in a while it's fabulous but every day for 7 days 2 or more times a day? Ugh. How generous of you to offer :rotfl:

Just the way you want to start a vacation!:thumbsup2
Especially if your parents will be staying in the house while you are gone and your husband has spent the better part of the week trying to fix that and the powder room toilet in advance of said stay.

Pretty sure that's a sub-set of Murphy's Law.

Absolutely!

:scared: That's a 2nd mortgage waiting to happen right there!

oh my word. Alaska charges $50 for overweight bags. Delta charges $90.

NINETY!

:woohoo: I bet their food is much better than United. :sad2:

Carryon, carryon!

I've been going through this same scenario. Some of the price drops are astounding!

we started at a semi decent rate for 7 nights, $261. Got it down to $137 :cool1::cool1:

:sad2: I hate that. Guess what, buddy? When I made the reservation, I reserved what I wanted. That's kind of the point of making reservations.

I was extremely proud of Jeff for not losing it with the guy, he was that pushgy.

Standard TR practice. "The Tease". :rotfl:

Yep, right up there with "The Cliffhanger"

That's what I've read. Hope it's the case!

I would think it is but gosh it would be nice to validate somehow I think it does say somewhere guests staying on points, versus it stating members. It's not like we had to show the member card in the garage. Getting the key card to consistently work in the garage is another (known) issue though, they will likely mention it to you. Just swipe a bazillion times and it WILL eventually work. Never didn't work but ugh. Same thing on the door, both rooms.

Thanks for the heads up! Just wanted to let you know that I'm here and will be reading along. Once I get caught up with my paperwork, I'll be back to read all the details.

:welcome: Lisa! I am SO behind everywhere, take your time, I'm not going anywhere and really hope to catch up on all my threads this week and weekend.

So happy you are here

wow you must have really had some winds for over a 6 hour flight, i thought ours was under 5 when we left from portland.

Could have been under 5 heading back but under 5 on the way there seems a bit off, should be pretty much the same as from SEA. In my mind I was thinking it was 5.5 so when we heard 6 with the winds it was like UGH.

that is a great thing about alaska air, you get that free drink to really feel like you are almost officially on vacation.

The free drink is a nice touch! We didn't say no. That and having POG as a n/a drink available with drink service is cool too.

did they also give you guys the macadamia nuts, or cookies?

No. WE WERE ROBBED! Jeff would be so bummed to know that. The snack mix was pretty tasty though.

Subbing will go back and catch up when I get unpacked and have a decent nights sleep!!!

Hi Rosie! :welcome: I'm uber behind on your thread and need to get over there! Get some sleep, we will be here :goodvibes

Doing a fly by just before I leave work and go home to bed to get rid of my infection since I leave for Disney in two days.

GET BETTER!

Get Sleep

and

HAVE A BLAST! :hug:

Loved your update. The air situation on the plane would have really bothered me.

It wasn't good that was for sure, thank goodness the rest of it was so nice, it really did help.

Dinner doesn't look bad for airplane food.

It was quite good, I could have purchased something and there are lots of nice options at the airport to carryon and chose not to as I knew they'd have a nice themed option.

Free Mai Tai! Who cares if it's good? It's free.

Exactly!!!!!!!!

Your Mai Tai's at the resort look so pretty...sorry they weren't that good.

Nor were they free :rotfl:

:woohoo::woohoo::woohoo: for getting your request for your room location.

Well yes...and no...and it's kind of :rotfl:

Hi Cynthia
A lurker here popping in to tell you how much I love your trip reports. I sure enjoyed your joint report with MEK. Thanks so much for hours of enjoyment!

Hi Nora! Thank you for delurking and :welcome: it was a wonderful girls trip, we had a blast.

Hawaii!!! So lucky. It really is Paradise on Earth, isn't it? We've been twice and would go back more if it didn't cost an arm and a leg to fly there. We love it there. Our favourite island is Maui, but Aulani looks amazing.

We are lucky on the flight side but you have to watch dates and track prices. Good deals are there but short notice it's pretty brutal even from here. I love Maui but we really did fall in love with the Big Island on our last trip. Oahu gets kind of a bad rap in comparison and it was nice to go back after so many years, skip the whole city part of it and just really enjoy some amazing parts of the Island. They have done an amazing job with Aulani

Can't wait to read the rest of your TR and your planning TR with your family. Planning is half the fun, isn't it, even with the headaches that accompany it, especially with family dynamics involved!

Planning is half the fun, headache and heartache! :rotfl: worth it though.

Just wanted to let you know that I'm reading and appreciating your writing talent and many hours devoted to entertaining us.

Nora

Mahalo!

Hmmmn...no long flights for you then? Orlando is 5/5.5 from here so it's not that much different and coming back it's only 5:15 so really not all that bad. I was really impressed that Jeff didn't lose it with the Alamo guy. Really impressed. He was beyond annoying.
I could do it. I just wouldn't be in a very good mood by the time I got there. It's kind of funny, I don't mind driving for several hours, I actually find that relaxing. It just seems like flying anywhere is stressful and exhausting. It isn't that I don't like to fly, I love it actually. I just don't handle the "commercial airline" experience and being folded up in a seat that is way too small very well at all.

Nope, not a single issue. Packed next to the coffee, oatmeal, cereal bowls, cutting board, and silverware maybe made it seem ok? Who knows. I fully expected to lose it and had packed one I was prepared to have taken away.
That's surprising. They must have somehow missed it in the X-ray machine then? :confused3

I could do it. I just wouldn't be in a very good mood by the time I got there. It's kind of funny, I don't mind driving for several hours, I actually find that relaxing. It just seems like flying anywhere is stressful and exhausting. It isn't that I don't like to fly, I love it actually. I just don't handle the "commercial airline" experience and being folded up in a seat that is way too small very well at all.

I don't mind someone else driving for hours :lmao: but me, I despise it. Actually if I never had to drive anywhere again, ever, I'd be content. On this trip definitely the pre-security part was the worst, and then the heat. On both flights I was pretty comfortable seat wise (YAY!) with no seat mate issues...I get the middle when it's just Jeff and I so he can have the aisle, I'm nice and generous like that. But for the most part, flying is a chore, plain and simple.

That's surprising. They must have somehow missed it in the X-ray machine then? :confused3

I don't get it either but as it came in quite handy, I'm glad they did miss it!

Found this the other day and thought I had posted then but I guess not.

Enjoying the TR so far, I love Hawaii, it is so pretty there, I have been once on a cruise and stayed a couple days after but that was in like 98 pr 99, hope to be able to get there again someday but DH is reluctant to fly that far, I'll have to work on him! LOL

Can't wait to hear more! :goodvibes

Ahoy there! I'm here!! I just finished your OKW/Vero/DCL/AKV tr and had to book it over here! I love your reports! Can't wait to read about your Hawaii adventures!

All caught up with the TR at least , I had to scip the chatter as I would take for evah!!! I was checked at security with a pair of scissors but the put them back in the carry on I was shocked !!! The price for your meal on the plane was soooo cheap !!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter