Land Border Opening?

And considering many of us will not be *fully* vaccinated by July 4th (remember the 4 months between shots? ugh) that will still mean staying home if we want to avoid the quarantine :rolleyes:
Not 4 months between shots, it’s 4 or 3 weeks between shots. Followed by two week immunity building period.

I don't even care about the border opening anymore and I'm tired of trying to guess when I can make plans. I'm booking for 2 weeks at the end of august/beginning of September. Just waiting for discounts other than the ticket discount. We will fly from Toronto to Orlando and fly back to buffalo. If the border isn't open I'll take a cab to the border crossing and walk across. I'm done playing this guessing game.

Not 4 months between shots, it’s 4 or 3 weeks between shots. Followed by two week immunity building period.

In Ontario they are now doing shots 16 weeks apart. Although I suspect that will be shortened. Like the people getting their first shot now will have to wait 16 weeks (so July). But I can see the people getting their first shots in June won’t have to wait that long because of increased supply and fewer people needing shots.

So do we think they will open the border before everyone has their second shot, but only allow people with both shots to cross ? I hadn’t considered that possibility, but it makes sense.

So do we think they will open the border before everyone has their second shot, but only allow people with both shots to cross ? I hadn’t considered that possibility, but it makes sense.

Not sure. You are protected after one shot. The second shot is just a booster so we have long term protection.

In Ontario they are now doing shots 16 weeks apart. Although I suspect that will be shortened. Like the people getting their first shot now will have to wait 16 weeks (so July). But I can see the people getting their first shots in June won’t have to wait that long because of increased supply and fewer people needing shots.
Oh dear, I‘m sorry, didn’t notice I was on a Canada trip planning forum, and I also did not know that, in Canada, second shots are four months out.

Not sure. You are protected after one shot. The second shot is just a booster so we have long term protection.
Interesting.. I also hadn’t even considered they would let people over after one shot . So many unknowns at this point still.

Oh dear, I‘m sorry, didn’t notice I was on a Canada trip planning forum, and I also did not know that, in Canada, second shots are four months out.

Yep. Since our doses have to come from Europe (the US isn’t allowing them to be exported) we have a much slower supply. There is a lot of evidence that the shots can be spread out further then what was done in the trial. So they are spreading out doses so more people can their first shot and be protected sooner.

We have only started vaccinating people over 80.

As Canadians we are all allowed to cross. Only by air to leave but we can use the land and air border to return at anytime. I think people are confusing the land border being closed as the border being completely closed. If you don't fly back to Canada you don't even need to do hotel quarantine.

As Canadians we are all allowed to cross. Only by air to leave but we can use the land and air border to return at anytime. I think people are confusing the land border being closed as the border being completely closed. If you don't fly back to Canada you don't even need to do hotel quarantine.

I think many people here also want to follow the “spirit” of the closure. They don’t want us taking vacations in other countries. So yes there is a loophole but it’s not what’s intended. It won’t be much longer. I think we can all hold on a few months longer.

And as far as your fly to Buffalo loophole. I read not to long ago that New York State was trying to do things to avoid people doing that exact thing.

I'm thinking the July 4th date happens, but I do think you'll either have to show proof of vaccination or else quarantine for 14 days.
Haha so then most of us still won’t be able to go without quarantine ;)
On a serious note, I hope you’re right. Starting with a partial reopening would be something at least. Maybe it’ll be negative test or a vaccine. All these maybes but what else do we have to do right now but guess and speculate 🤨

Yep. Since our doses have to come from Europe (the US isn’t allowing them to be exported) we have a much slower supply. There is a lot of evidence that the shots can be spread out further then what was done in the trial. So they are spreading out doses so more people can their first shot and be protected sooner.

We have only started vaccinating people over 80.
Healthcare workers are also being vaccinated, that's how I got mine.

Can someone tell me something I need to hear?
I still have a trip for May long weekend booked. We are DVC members, resort stay booked with points (with deadline to bank by March 31). The flights are with Southwest, they are paid for with the flight credit from the cancelled trip last summer. They said we have to use it before May 31 or it will expire. I booked the trip last Christmas hoping in 5 months things will turn around. but it is less and less likely we will be able to go without going through all those loopholes and whatnot. I just I need to accept the fact that I will just have to lose that flight credit and cancel another holiday like everyone else.

I just need to hear it from someone that it is not going to happen before I give up hope and cancel my trip. :(

I still have a trip for May long weekend booked. We are DVC members, resort stay booked with points (with deadline to bank by March 31). The flights are with Southwest, they are paid for with the flight credit from the cancelled trip last summer. They said we have to use it before May 31 or it will expire. I booked the trip last Christmas hoping in 5 months things will turn around. but it is less and less likely we will be able to go without going through all those loopholes and whatnot. I just I need to accept the fact that I will just have to lose that flight credit and cancel another holiday like everyone else.

I just need to hear it from someone that it is not going to happen before I give up hope and cancel my trip. :(

I would contact Southwest again and see if they will extend it.

I would sadly cancel and bank those DVC points for another year. The last thing you want is to lose them. It made me so sad to do that with our reservation as well, but now I have double the points for next year :hyper:

I would also try SW and see if they can do anything about extending your Credit. The worst they can say is no. Good luck !

I’m so sorry. We are DVC too and haven’t yet been able to go. Had to rent our first years points . It sucks. We have Christmas booked and I hope ..

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter