Land Border Opening?

I live right near three crossings. It’s a well known fact that if you are trying to cross on a holiday weekend you better be prepared to sit for hours .
I can’t even imagine what it will look like when it first reopens:scared:. Especially if we need to show documentation of vaccinations etc .There will be some waits for sure !
I think it has a lot to do with the US side not staffing all the booths. There was the govt shut downs, labour disputes, cut backs....on & on.
I can’t wait to be able to go over to Bellingham again! Trader Joe’s, Costco gas lol, and my fav Mexican restaurant! Sigh

I think it has a lot to do with the US side not staffing all the booths. There was the govt shut downs, labour disputes, cut backs....on & on.
I can’t wait to be able to go over to Bellingham again! Trader Joe’s, Costco gas lol, and my fav Mexican restaurant! Sigh

SAME! I miss Target and American Walmart, haha. It was our favourite weekend activity.

SAME! I miss Target and American Walmart, haha. It was our favourite weekend activity.

Yes!!! We were trying to buy a few things for the kids the other day, and oh my word I missed being able to shop stateside - both physically shop over there (JC Penny.... ) and being able to shop online and ship it to my US post office box. :( And of course the outlet stores....

Well it’s not just up to Biden. We aren’t going to start letting people come here with no quarantine that quickly.
Actually I keep reading that the US president may want to keep us Canadians out of the US because we are far far far from being vaccinated compared to them. They will have a much higher % vaccinated by July, we are a few months behind them. So while the congressman is pushing for that... the truth is now we are in worse shape than USA.

Actually I keep reading that the US president may want to keep us Canadians out of the US because we are far far far from being vaccinated compared to them. They will have a much higher % vaccinated by July, we are a few months behind them. So while the congressman is pushing for that... the truth is now we are in worse shape than USA.

That is also true.

the truth is now we are in worse shape than USA.
How so? Our cases are way lower than in the US. Yes our vaccinations have been slow, but they'll ramp up very quickly. It will be a lot easier to vaccinate 25 million adults vs 290 (ballparking eligible adult populations - feel free to correct - and of course there will be the anti-vaxxers). I'm 39 and got my first dose last evening, my wife gets her first next Thursday. Only symptom so far is feels like someone gave me a real good punch in the arm. We're in the NWT and any willing adult 18 and up can get it now.

How so? Our cases are way lower than in the US. Yes our vaccinations have been slow, but they'll ramp up very quickly. It will be a lot easier to vaccinate 25 million adults vs 290 (ballparking eligible adult populations - feel free to correct - and of course there will be the anti-vaxxers). I'm 39 and got my first dose last evening, my wife gets her first next Thursday. Only symptom so far is feels like someone gave me a real good punch in the arm. We're in the NWT and any willing adult 18 and up can get it now.

I wish! I’m in Ontario, over 65, and hoping like heck to get my first shot in June. For a lot of us, a first dose is months off. Second dose another 4 months after.

we aren't even really getting started in Nova Scotia. My mother is 86 and her first vaccine will be in 3 weeks, at the earliest.

Ottawa sent more vaccines your way, so the rest of us have to wait. I think they did the right thing because we have more than enough health care facilities with access for our whole population. lol I think it only takes 8 hours to drive from one end of the province to the other.

I wish! I’m in Ontario, over 65, and hoping like heck to get my first shot in June. For a lot of us, a first dose is months off. Second dose another 4 months after.
we aren't even really getting started in Nova Scotia. My mother is 86 and her first vaccine will be in 3 weeks, at the earliest.

Ottawa sent more vaccines your way, so the rest of us have to wait. I think they did the right thing because we have more than enough health care facilities with access for our whole population. lol I think it only takes 8 hours to drive from one end of the province to the other.

We're aware we are very lucky - the "joys" of being in the middle of nowhere and a small population. They did not send more our way, they sent SOME - very little actually, but it's easy to vaccinate 35,000 adults vs. millions in some provinces. But the point of my original post is why is Canada worse off than the US other than vaccinations were at a slow start?

A lot higher amount of vaccines were sent up North because of a lot more people who may be at risk. In Ontario we have some areas that are just starting to vaccinate the 80+ crowd and other areas won’t start until maybe the end of next week. They were predicting that they won’t even get to those under 60 until this summer.

Yes our cases are lower. But Ontario looks like our cases could really jump again any time now. And the US has a much higher % of their population vaccinated.

We're aware we are very lucky - the "joys" of being in the middle of nowhere and a small population. They did not send more our way, they sent SOME - very little actually, but it's easy to vaccinate 35,000 adults vs. millions in some provinces. But the point of my original post is why is Canada worse off than the US other than vaccinations were at a slow start?

They actually did send more your way if you look at it based on population. Otherwise there is no way NWT can be offering the vaccine for those 18+ when some areas haven’t even started vaccinating 80+. And it’s all because of supply. Not logistics.

Don’t take this as complaining. They were totally right in making sure people living in more remote areas were protected first.

They actually did send more your way if you look at it based on population. Otherwise there is no way NWT can be offering the vaccine for those 18+ when some areas haven’t even started vaccinating 80+. And it’s all because of supply. Not logistics.

Don’t take this as complaining. They were totally right in making sure people living in more remote areas were protected first.

I'm not complaining and not taking it as complaining! Per capita you're right we did get more in that regard. I still think Canada is doing much better than the US, even when you look at per capita cases.

they probably sent you the same amount of vaccines, or more, than they did to Nova Scotia. We're still waiting on 2nd doses for health care workers and people in nursing homes. We just started vaccinating people over 80. but we have another 800k people to vaccinate after that...so it will be months and months at the rate we are receiving vaccines.

Nova Scotia is only 3 hours from Maine, and to get to us Americans have to drive through New Brunswick which is in the same boat as us. In Maine they're already vaccinating their 50 year olds, teachers, people with chronic illness. Most of those people won't be vaccinated in Nova Scotia until at least the summer so we're not ready for tourists.

You would think that having a much lower population than the US would mean we would be ahead, but we are way behind. If you look it up, Canada is about 59th in terms of % of population vaccinated compared to other G7/wealthy countries. I believe the latest data shows USA to be vaccinated by June and Canada September-ish?
Things are opening up there whereas in Canada we are looking at a possible third lockdown looming. Look up yesterday’s article in the globe & mail titled “We now have 2 pandemics”. This is all because of slow vaccination progress in our country. Now - it’s a completely different situation in the NWT than most of Canada. You are very lucky. In Ontario we have barely vaccinated seniors and staff in long term care and they just opened for over 80. I am 39 this year and don’t anticipate to be able to get the shot til late summer.

As another point of comparison, my DSis (59) who lives in Pennsylvania has had both her Pfizer shots, she works in hospital admin. Her DH (early 60s) and both her children (in their late 20s) have just had their first Pfizer shot.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter