Lasseter may return to Disney

I've read articles with quotes from people saying that the environment at Pixar is "toxic": "It is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice."

It is 2018. This type of treatment and harrassment in the workplace should not be acceptable (should not have been acceptable for years now, but here we are). Disney needs to send a message that this is not okay, and bringing Lasseter back after his...sabbatical (whatever that entailed???) does not accomplish that.

Great, that makes it worse. I try to be a woman of principles, but that's not a fun decision to make for the children.

And more than that - he has a heavy influence on the parks before he left - so really to boycott John Lassiter - you have to boycott pretty much all of Disney, at least all animation and Disney parks products. I suppose things like Marvel and Lucasfilm wouldn't include him, but really if it is Disney that decides to bring him back, the appropriate thing would be boycott all things Disney.

I personally think a boycott of one would have limited effectiveness - unless you create something widespread. I would suggest instead writing letters or organizing a protest of some sort as a more effective way to get the word out.

I've read articles with quotes from people saying that the environment at Pixar is "toxic": "It is also a culture where women and people of color do not have an equal creative voice."

It is 2018. This type of treatment and harrassment in the workplace should not be acceptable (should not have been acceptable for years now, but here we are). Disney needs to send a message that this is not okay, and bringing Lasseter back after his...sabbatical (whatever that entailed???) does not accomplish that.
I believe Lasseter spent most of his sabbatical time away in Europe. No word if he sought treatment/rehab while he was there.

I think that’s part of the problem with this story. There are simply not many details to know what’s going on.

why do we credit John Lasseter alone with Pixar's Golden Age?
Are there not plenty of quality story tellers at Pixar? Is it not true that many of them were UNABLE to thrive because of John Lasseter? Honestly, I have a hard time believing that this hurts Pixar in the long run
I believe we credit John because he was the head of the studio. He directed things like Toy Story. He supposedly has been a visionary for animation. Certainly Pixar has plenty of creative and talented people we just don’t know a lot of them.

I believe we credit John because he was the head of the studio. He directed things like Toy Story. He supposedly has been a visionary for animation. Certainly Pixar has plenty of creative and talented people we just don’t know a lot of them.

Well and that's just it isn't it. Being the head of something doesn't make you the reason something is successful and if anything it's a bit irritating we DON'T know some of the other Pixar main players - why don't we? This fact is only punctuated by the departure of Rashida Jones on TS4 because of her frustration with diversity at Pixar.

I wouldnt be surprised that if Disney doesnt bring Lasseter back as a employee. Whatever consulting company he joins or starts up on his own would prob be involved in many Disney/Pixar projects. This would allow Disney to distance themselves from employing him but still keeping him involved in a profitable way for Disney. It happens all the time when execs get ousted for whatever reasons but still provide a large financial value to the company they used to work for.

And more than that - he has a heavy influence on the parks before he left - so really to boycott John Lassiter - you have to boycott pretty much all of Disney, at least all animation and Disney parks products. I suppose things like Marvel and Lucasfilm wouldn't include him, but really if it is Disney that decides to bring him back, the appropriate thing would be boycott all things Disney.

I personally think a boycott of one would have limited effectiveness - unless you create something widespread. I would suggest instead writing letters or organizing a protest of some sort as a more effective way to get the word out.

Lord, guess I'll be hoping this piece of poop doesn't really come back. I'll definitely be making my opinion known when we get the final word. I am really, really good at putting my money where my mouth is...or not putting my money there as it may be. The lists of businesses I won't frequent is high. Giving up WDW would really suck though.

I believe Lasseter spent most of his sabbatical time away in Europe. No word if he sought treatment/rehab while he was there.

I think that’s part of the problem with this story. There are simply not many details to know what’s going on.
Amsterdam?

Well and that's just it isn't it. Being the head of something doesn't make you the reason something is successful and if anything it's a bit irritating we DON'T know some of the other Pixar main players - why don't we? This fact is only punctuated by the departure of Rashida Jones on TS4 because of her frustration with diversity at Pixar.
John certainly loved the spotlight but he’s been there from the beginning. I certainly credit John for being the head of Pixar. John had a huge role in how the studio was run and when he came to Disney he’s had a huge role in how that animation has run as well.

I don't think he can. I think this event will mark the end of Pixar's Golden Age and we are now entering a period of declining quality and story-telling from the Pixar group, maybe Disney animation in general. Even if he does come back, do you think things would just go back to the way they were? Not his creepy/inappropriate behavior, but the whole office vibe would be different. Can you imagine? Just anyone being around him would be awkward. He is a different person, for better (better behavior) or for worse. Is he sober now? Would he even be able to tap into that creative genius story-telling talent or would he have writer's block? I don't think he will be able to produce the same quantity or quality of stories for years, if ever again. He should probably just retire.

Are there not plenty of quality story tellers at Pixar? Is it not true that many of them were UNABLE to thrive because of John Lasseter? Honestly, I have a hard time believing that this hurts Pixar in the long run

Certainly not Lasseter alone, but from what I have seen and read it seemed like everything still went through him for final approval. So even if he wasn't the director or even heavily involved, people knew he would have to approve things so his influence would still be felt

that said, I'd like to think optimistically that his absence might pave the way for new thoughts and new visions and while this might be the "end of an era" it doesn't mean the next era can't also be great. Different, but not worse

Certainly not Lasseter alone, but from what I have seen and read it seemed like everything still went through him for final approval. So even if he wasn't the director or even heavily involved, people knew he would have to approve things so his influence would still be felt

that said, I'd like to think optimistically that his absence might pave the way for new thoughts and new visions and while this might be the "end of an era" it doesn't mean the next era can't also be great. Different, but not worse
John also pushed for Pixar heavily in the parks.

He gets most of the credit because he seems to be given the credit, from all levels. Perhaps that's why he was made the creative head of the department. Just a guess. Of course there are other talented people at Pixar and in time those talents may also be shared through completed projects, however there will be a period of time before that happens. Time for the company to recover from what happened. Time for those same talented people to recover. Time for leadership to recover and establish new creative directions. Time for projects to be proposed, developed, produced. It's going to be a while.

He gets most of the credit because he seems to be given the credit, from all levels. Perhaps that's why he was made the creative head of the department. Just a guess. Of course there are other talented people at Pixar and in time those talents may also be shared through completed projects, however there will be a period of time before that happens. Time for the company to recover from what happened. Time for those same talented people to recover. Time for leadership to recover and establish new creative directions. Time for projects to be proposed, developed, produced. It's going to be a while.

if what the reports said were true, the talented people and leadership might be waiting for this moment rather than set back by it is my point. I don't think it'll be as disastrous as claimed. I think this is an exciting new era as @TheMaxRebo said. If they let him go (please!)

if what the reports said were true, the talented people and leadership might be waiting for this moment rather than set back by it is my point. I don't think it'll be as disastrous as claimed. I think this is an exciting new era as @TheMaxRebo said. If they let him go (please!)
I would think no matter what there is a sense of set back due to the cloud that is looming over the company. Even if he is officially fired they are still the company built by John and the reputation goes along with that. They won't immediately have a brand new figure-head that fills that.

I would think no matter what there is a sense of set back due to the cloud that is looming over the company. Even if he is officially fired they are still the company built by John and the reputation goes along with that. They won't immediately have a brand new figure-head that fills that.
maybe I am just an optimist.

Part of the challenge is I think a lot of the people there very much revered John and he was almost like a diety figure there so many I think might feel a bit "lost" without him

Almost like how the imagineers felt a bit lost after Walt died - and it took Roy not retiring to get WDW built without Walt there

So I do think there is opportunity there for fresh views and new voices, but I think it could take a while to sort out

It seems like a lot of the most recent offerings (not all) are just sequels...of course, we all know how much I know about children's movies. I was however recently in the room when Toy Story was on, so I'm starting to catch up.

Sounds like a nice vacay. You bring up a great point that Disney's silence on this doesn't really help! :confused3 I get that this is how they roll with it comes to controversy within the company, but with everything that has happened recently with so many people speaking out regarding harassment in the workplace, and Disney being known as a place that celebrates and embraces diversity, it makes them look bad when it seems like they've done nothing to improve the situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter