Launch of Hulk v. Rock n Roller Coaster

WebmasterBarry

DIS Veteran
So maybe one day I can get Earl's job. :)

I bet you know a lot more than me, Earl. I just think of coaster technology as a tool to have fun.

We were at WDW and USF/IOA last summer. DH and oldest DS rode Hulk while I waited with youngest DS. (I did Dueling Dragons and loved it.) Anyway, we watched the "Behind the Scenes at Universal" on the travel channel last night and for some reason DH and DS couldn't answer my question: Is the launch of Hulk the same as the launch of Rock n Roller Coaster? They both "shoot" you out very quickly, although the Hulk starts out slow first. I'm just curious, since we'll be heading back next summer and youngest DS WILL be tall enough to ride everything and I plan on trying Hulk this time. Thanks.

Not Quite. The launch at Hulk is tilted, causing it be slower than that of Rock and Roller Coaster.

RnR-60mph
Hulk-45mph

The rest of the details I know Earl has, go for it...

From what I understand the mechanics of the 'launch' is the same for both, but the effect is different. To me, after numerous rides on both, Rock n Roller Coaster seems to accelerate much more quickly and to hit a faster top speed. The Hulk launches up hill while Rock n Roller Coaster starts off basically flat and is at full speed already when it enters its first loop. By contrast, Hulk seems so slow to me at the top of the first loop that I was surprised it stayed on the track. This may only be my impression and not 'reality', but repeated rides have not changed my mind.

Bill From PA

The Hulk launches you from 0 to around 40 mph, the same as a F-16 launch. RnR Coaster launches you from 0 to 60 mph. The Hulk uses over 200 wheels to launch you. RnR Coaster uses LSM (linear synchronos motors) to launch. However, the Hulk has a much better beginning than RnRC. The Hulk inverts you and takes you into a dive and a loop right after launch. RnRC only has two loops at the beginning.

Thanks guys. Hulk looks like a wilder ride than RnR. I like the upside-down butterfly loop at the beginning, and heading down into the lake. I can't wait to try it!

FYI--there's a coaster called Dragon Mountain at Marine Land in Niagara Falls, Canada, that has a neat butterfly loop---you go downhill thru a dark tunnel and come out right into the butterfly. It even has a helix. (Uh oh - I've been watching too many roller coaster shows - I'm starting to learn the lingo!)

Hulk uses 220 tires all spinning in sync with each other. RNR uses (I believe) magnets pulsing +/- on every other to move car along.

There are two types of launches that use magnetic repulsions and attractions: Linear Induction Motors (LIM) and Linear Synchronous Motors (LSM). LIM launched coasters are generally made by Premier Rides. LSMs are a more complicated LIM and I think Superman: The Escape at Six Flags Magic Mountain is an example of one.

Hey, maybe Barry can work with you Earl....

Watch out my DH talks like that as well (especially after watching coaster shows!)

Techical, I ain't and won't even TRY to be... :p

All I know that being catapulted into the sky vs being catapulted into a building in the dark is aLOT more effective to my mind!

If you think catapaulted into the sky is more effective, try the Volcano at Paramount's Kings Dominion in VA. You get launched out of a volcano!

Originally posted by Amy
Thanks guys. Hulk looks like a wilder ride than RnR. I like the upside-down butterfly loop at the beginning, and heading down into the lake. I can't wait to try it!

ON B&M coasters that effect is called the "Cobra Roll" its also know as a Batwing on other coasters.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter