Laundromats and othe people's children

Lorelei Lee

DIS Veteran
So it's a fairly large laundromat, but also fairly crowded. I am loading my freshly washed laundry into the dryers. The aisle between the dryers and the folding table is somewhat narrow.

A boy runs down the aisle and bbumps into my laundry cart. He's about 8 years old. A moment later he runs by me again.

The third time he came down the aisle he had no choice but to stop running- unless he wanted to wind up in my laundry cart.

He stopped running down that aisle.

Yes it was a bit passive aggressive. But his mother was standing two feet away from me and never bothered to tell him that this is the laundromat not the playground.

There's a laundromat a couple blocks away that I pass frequently. I feel so sorry for those people.

Our washer broke so we have been having to use the laundromat until the parts come in. My kids are almost 2 and almost 4. Today they were pushing my laundry baskets all over the place (very small place). I was the only person using the machines. I was so embarrassed and kept telling them to stop and apologizing to the few people chilling out there.

I had to let them run around though or I wouldn't have been able to get the clothes loaded in a machine.

Our washer broke so we have been having to use the laundromat until the parts come in. My kids are almost 2 and almost 4. Today they were pushing my laundry baskets all over the place (very small place). I was the only person using the machines. I was so embarrassed and kept telling them to stop and apologizing to the few people chilling out there.

I had to let them run around though or I wouldn't have been able to get the clothes loaded in a machine.

No you didn't! you are the Mother make them stop! seriously If my children had ever embarrassed me in public they would have been VERY sorry!

OP I give you credit for lasting to the third pass, don't know that I would have lasted that long! LOL

No you didn't! you are the Mother make them stop! seriously If my children had ever embarrassed me in public they would have been VERY sorry! OP I give you credit for lasting to the third pass, don't know that I would have lasted that long! LOL

Oh then both ended up getting their butt popped and put in the car to play (had it backed up and the hatch up)

I would love to see someone who can successfully corral an 2 and 4 year old and get something accomplished out of their house and with minimal toys

princess:
There's a laundromat a couple blocks away that I pass frequently. I feel so sorry for those people.

Interesting non sequeter. Why?

For me it's easier to do my laundry here than at my mothers house where my crazy sister thinks she's the only one who needs to wash clothes, and my boyfriend has a washer but not a dryer. Three loads of laundry at one time and I'm done.

Look at the kid with no hint of a smile and say, "You need to go away. Stop running by me." Then squint one eye, arch that eyebrow and point off in the distance. I find that works. I've been in restaurants before and had kids come up to my table because their parents wouldn't keep them at their own. I just look at them stone faced and say, "Go away. Do not come back." It has always worked.

princess:

For me it's easier to do my laundry here than at my mothers house where my crazy sister thinks she's the only one who needs to wash clothes, and my boyfriend has a washer but not a dryer. Three loads of laundry at one time and I'm done.

I'm not Squirlz but I just would feel bad that they needed a laundromat. In college my apartments didn't have laundry in the apartment. They did have a facility on grounds - but the quarters, the hassle of walking down there every 30 minutes to move things around or else having someone else move it for you, the physical lugging of my hamper from one end of the complex to the other - I'll never be able to live somewhere without built-in washer and dryer again! Right now our laundry is in the basement and it bothers me lol! I can't wait until we move into our new place which has laundry on the main level of the house.

Oh then both ended up getting their butt popped and put in the car to play (had it backed up and the hatch up)

I would love to see someone who can successfully corral an 2 and 4 year old and get something accomplished out of their house and with minimal toys

Lots of us managed it. Was it easy? No. Did we refuse to allow our children to annoy others? Yes.

You have a toddler and a preschooler, not an 8 year old who ought to know better.

Mine were a bit rambunctious at 2 and 4. It can be frustrating when they act out while you're trying to get things done.

Two year old has a tantrum in the department store, you leave the store. At the laundromat, not so easy to leave.

Glad mine are grown.

princess:

I assume it's in reference to not being able to do it at home. I can count on one hand the # of times I've been in a laundry mat. It did fully suck.

I did like your cart move though ;)

You definitely did not have to allow them to run around. I can and have successfully corralled 2 two year olds and, got things accomplished and did not allow them to behave that way.

I assume it's in reference to not being able to do it at home. I can count on one hand the # of times I've been in a laundry mat. It did fully suck.

I did like your cart move though ;)

I agree- it totally sucks going to a Laundromat- I hate sitting around waiting for my clothes to be washed- I hate using a machine that strangers have used before me washing who knows what.

That's it exactly. I've had my own washer and dryer for 30 years. I'd pay a cleaner before I'd go to a laundromat.

I hear ya! Don't let all the "perfect" mothers who have come out of the woodwork for this thread get you down. I can only imagine the reign of terror that would be unleashed on the unsuspecting laundry patrons if I rolled up with my two boys. :rotfl:

I hear ya! Don't let all the "perfect" mothers who have come out of the woodwork for this thread get you down. I can only imagine the reign of terror that would be unleashed on the unsuspecting laundry patrons if I rolled up with my two boys. :rotfl:

It isn't being perfect. It's having basic common courtesy. You don't let your kids run around a business bothering people. It isn't Chuck e cheese.

As for laundromats I can't remember the last time I was ever in one.

It isn't being perfect. It's having basic common courtesy. You don't let your kids run around a business bothering people. It isn't Chuck e cheese.

As for laundromats I can't remember the last time I was ever in one.

She could have stuffed them into a dryer to keep them quiet, but I'm sure that would have been frowned upon around here as well :rolleyes:

she was trying her best and apologizing to the other patrons, sometimes things just go to heck in a hand basket with little kids and its not like you can walk out of a laundry mat and abandon your washing.

I just want the poster know that some people (apparently not many around here), but some, have compassion when they see a mother trying her best, even when things are going south.

She could have stuffed them into a dryer to keep them quiet, but I'm sure that would have been frowned upon around here as well :rolleyes:

she was trying her best and apologizing to the other patrons, sometimes things just go to heck in a hand basket with little kids and its not like you can walk out of a laundry mat and abandon your washing.

I just want the poster know that some people (apparently not many around here), but some, have compassion when they see a mother trying her best, even when things are going south.

No I"m sorry but letting them run is not trying your best. First the 4 yr old is more than old enough to know you don't run in places like that and if they forget a "sit down now" is all it should take for a 4 yr old. Once the 4 yr old is sitting you get the 2 yr old and they stand right next to you and if they start to move you hold them with 1 hand while you load with the other. It truly is not that hard.

Completely with you on this one. It is always when I am trying to do something that my boys try and run around. Very thankful for my washer and dyer! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter