Laundromats and othe people's children

Subscribing just to see how many more perfect parents reply their kids always listen and are always right by their side in public or sitting at the table in a restaurant! I'm sure they are all debt free with fully funded college funds too! Ha!

But of course! If one doesn't, then one shouldn't be on Disney planning vacation board. :bitelip:

So far from the perfect parent...but I can tell you my kids would never run around a laundry mat like is being described. I would have a bag of books, toys and handheld games for them. If the 2 yr old could not stay put, he would have been put in his stroller. I would never tolerate them bothering others...and yes I would have left w/out the laundry done or wet if I had to.

So far from the perfect parent...but I can tell you my kids would never run around a laundry mat like is being described. I would have a bag of books, toys and handheld games for them. If the 2 yr old could not stay put, he would have been put in his stroller. I would never tolerate them bothering others...and yes I would have left w/out the laundry done or wet if I had to.

Not me. What are we supposed to do? Wear dirty clothes all week. I know when my kids were little I used to have to go to the laundromat. I have 4 and it was a total nightmare. There are definitely moments when I was busy loading the dryer or whatever and they were acting like monkeys. I have nothing but compassion for someone who has to do their laundry at the laundromat and has no one to watch their kids while they do it.

Not me. What are we supposed to do? Wear dirty clothes all week. I know when my kids were little I used to have to go to the laundromat. I have 4 and it was a total nightmare. There are definitely moments when I was busy loading the dryer or whatever and they were acting like monkeys. I have nothing but compassion for someone who has to do their laundry at the laundromat and has no one to watch their kids while they do it.

I'm not a 'perfect' parent and have never claimed to be but you are supposed to parent your child. I feel for families that have to use a laundromat because it's not fun but it's also not a place for children to run wild. My kids know that if they act a fool in public, we will leave...it does not matter where we are or what we are doing.

First off were you armed with things to keep them amused? I would go back at another time, maybe in the evening when my DH would have been home to watch them, which I know cant always be done, my DH traveled a lot. I would never wait until there were no clean clothes in the house, if I knew my kids might not be able to be behaved for that long. Maybe much smaller trips are in order, or maybe using the laundry service is the way to go. There are options. I would never subject other people to my illbehaved kids (and they were at times, they were not perfect) for very long. If I could not get handle on things quickly we left, whether it was the laundrymat, church, or Target...it didnt matter, they misbehaved and the situation was not under control shorlty after, then we left, it would be rude to others to stay.

I'm not saying my children never misbehaved - but when they started to we left wherever we were!

I can't believe all the lazy (yes I said it) parents who are making excusing and justifying their children's bad behavior! All kids have melt downs on ocassion - but if they're rotten all the time you've not done your job as a parent in teaching them how to behave or given them things to occupy themselves with!

First off were you armed with things to keep them amused? I would go back at another time, maybe in the evening when my DH would have been home to watch them, which I know cant always be done, my DH traveled a lot. I would never wait until there were no clean clothes in the house, if I knew my kids might not be able to be behaved for that long. Maybe much smaller trips are in order, or maybe using the laundry service is the way to go. There are options. I would never subject other people to my illbehaved kids (and they were at times, they were not perfect) for very long. If I could not get handle on things quickly we left, whether it was the laundrymat, church, or Target...it didnt matter, they misbehaved and the situation was not under control shorlty after, then we left, it would be rude to others to stay.
When you have 4 children there are easily 10 loads of laundry every week. I would cab it to the closest laundromat. They might bring a book etc but no kid wants to be in a laundromat and when they're little they have a short attention span so a book can only keep a kid occupied for so long. How nice for all of you who had a spouse or parent who could help you out but not everyone has such an easy path to walk.

ETA as for the idea of midweek laundry trips...if only there was the luxury of time midweek to do so...and a laundry service? If I could have afforded that I could have afforded my own washer/dryer at the time.

When you have 4 children there are easily 10 loads of laundry every week. I would cab it to the closest laundromat. They might bring a book etc but no kid wants to be in a laundromat and when they're little they have a short attention span so a book can only keep a kid occupied for so long. How nice for all of you who had a spouse or parent who could help you out but not everyone has such an easy path to walk.

Nope - had 3 and rarely used sitters unless I had a night out with my husband or friends. Schlepped them to all types of practices, school activities, grocery trips and trips to the store!

For the most part trey were well behaved-and when they weren't and I couldn't get them under control I left and usually apologized. It's not okay to let your children bother other people in public places.

You should have been parenting from the get go! Letting them know you expect them to behave all the time! At home! When they do something that is wrong you stop what you're doing and correct them or tell them no! It's not easy, it's not fun and it takes time! When you say no or stop - you follow thru!

ETA as for the idea of midweek laundry trips...if only there was the luxury of time midweek to do so...and a laundry service? If I could have afforded that I could have afforded my own washer/dryer at the time.

Like I said MANY times I did not have a spouse around bc he was traveling.

Maybe you would bring a book???? No wonder they got bored so quickly. My kids got dragged plenty of places they did not want to be. I had a big diaper bag filled with stuff to keep them occupied and excpet for the Leappad, most of it was dollar store stuff. Books, coloring books, hot wheels, green army men, snacks etc. My kids didnt get candy a whole lot but that might be where they got the occasional lollipop. My kids would love for me to sit and read to them...once I got things situated then we would find a chair and I would read over and over and over again. I can recite the Foot Book by Dr Suess in my sleep.

Like I said MANY times I did not have a spouse around bc he was traveling.

Maybe you would bring a book???? No wonder they got bored so quickly. My kids got dragged plenty of places they did not want to be. I had a big diaper bag filled with stuff to keep them occupied and excpet for the Leappad, most of it was dollar store stuff. Books, coloring books, hot wheels, green army men, snacks etc. My kids didnt get candy a whole lot but that might be where they got the occasional lollipop. My kids would love for me to sit and read to them...once I got things situated then we would find a chair and I would read over and over and over again. I can recite the Foot Book by Dr Suess in my sleep.

Pretty much my deal as well!
My Girfriends kids used to ask them - Will Mamma W be bringing her goody bag? Or make sure Mamma W brings XY or Z!

Nope - had 3 and rarely used sitters unless I had a night out with my husband or friends. Schlepped them to all types of practices, school activities, grocery trips and trips to the store! For the most part trey were well behaved-and when they weren't and I couldn't get them under control I left and usually apologized. It's not okay to let your children bother other people in public places. You should have been parenting from the get go! Letting them know you expect them to behave all the time! At home! When they do something that is wrong you stop what you're doing and correct them or tell them no! It's not easy, it's not fun and it takes time! When you say no or stop - you follow thru!

I guess it must be nice to be wealthy enough to abandon 10 loads of laundry and go home just because your kids are getting a little antsy. My kids have never ran in a laundromat but there are definitely times when their behaviour was less than perfect. It must be nice to have perfect children who quietly sit in a chair for 2+ hours without making a peep while you do your laundry.

I guess it must be nice to be wealthy enough to abandon 10 loads of laundry and go home just because your kids are getting a little antsy. My kids have never ran in a laundromat but there are definitely times when their behaviour was less than perfect. It must be nice to have perfect children who quietly sit in a chair for 2+ hours without making a peep while you do your laundry.

I don't recall saying they sat in a chair without making a peep. You're making assumptions and getting defensive because I (and others) called you out. It's okay.

I don't recall saying they sat in a chair without making a peep. You're making assumptions and getting defensive because I (and others) called you out. It's okay.

So maybe what you consider as you children behaving and what others consider as your children behaving are two different things.

So maybe what you consider as you children behaving and what others consider as your children behaving are two different things.

I don't think anyone would expect a child to sit for 2+ hours at the laundromat in a chair without making a peep but most would expect a child at any age to not be running around the place.

When parents make statement like I 'had' to let them run around, that's simply not true. I have 3 kids and under no circumstances would I ever 'have' to let them run around a laundromat. I also don't like the 'they're just being kids' excuse. Kid or not, acting like wild animals in public in not acceptable.

Called her out? You pretty much called her a lazy parent who hasn't parented from the get go. Talk about assumptions.
You seeing an incident at a laundry mat does not mean you know anything about the way she parents, get off your high horse. You aren't fooling anyone, we know you aren't always perfect either.

There is a difference btw antsy and illbehaved...which was it? Kids running around a place that they should not be running in is dangerous to them and other customers.

Wealthy..hardly

Responsible parent...absolutely

And yes if I had to sacrifce money for my kids behavior then so be it, but I would have been working on it with them at home long before I ever stepped foot out in public with them.

If children are bothering other people, they're not behaving. Simple.

Called her out? You pretty much called her a lazy parent who hasn't parented from the get go. Talk about assumptions.
You seeing an incident at a laundry mat does not mean you know anything about the way she parents, get off your high horse. You aren't fooling anyone, we know you aren't always perfect either.

Well she herself has made many comments on this thread along the lines of - oh well I can't make them behave - and never mentioned that she tries at all to discipline or occupy them so they do not bother other patrons at the laundromat!

And I'll address the last line of your post! :) Never claimed my children (or I) were perfect. I did say that when they were misbehaving I did try to discipline them - and if that failed to work I removed them from the situation (be it store, restaurant etc) so as not to bother others.

Reminds me...

Most of the 24 years I used laundromats I had no issues with others because I did my laundry in off hours and usually had the laundromats to myself. One time, though, a child pitched a tremendous fit screaming and crying on the floor because his mother wouldn't buy him candy from the vending machine. The tantrum lasted a good long while, and all the mother would do was keep saying "don't bother me none, don't bother me none, don't bother me none" over and over and over again. (Frankly, it sure bothered me some!) But here's the kicker: Kid won. Mom ultimately rewarded his bad behavior by buying him the candy he was demanding. :headache:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter