Laurie's Quest Continues....two more marathons in one year!!

Hope things go well for you tomorrow on the trail....9 miles is no joke!

Can you believe I'm in Atlanta and I'm NOT at the All-Star game festivities tonight? :confused3

Laurie Congrats on finishing the marathon.

Where is the NJ marathon being held? I can't believe you are doing another one so fast. Good luck with training.

Scott--Thanks! I was bummed tonight that I was going to miss the skills competition tonight since I had to work!

Donac--Thanks! The NJ marathon is held in conjunction with the Long Branch half in Long Branch. I know I am crazy for doing another one, but I am hooked!!!

Hi Laurie,
I wish I had followed your journal since this was your first marathon.I will be doing my first next year. What tips could you give me-training,race itself,etc...

I saw your time and thought that was pretty impressive for a first timer.I ran 6 miles in 1:00:10 yesterday, did that come close to your prerace pace?

I am trying to gauge how long it may take.I know running knowing you are only doing 6 compared to 26 is a big difference but thought I would ask.

HELP! I am a wreck even thinking I am attempting this!
Linda

Linda--Thanks for stopping by! My first piece of advice is this: if it is your first marathon...don't set any time goal for yourself...your goal should be to finish the race! Have fun, take it all in, stop and get pictures with the characters, and don't worry about the time. Your pace right now is fast enough that you will have no problem with the sweepers, even if you walk some. This year, I put no time in my head that I wanted to finish under, I got some great pictures along the way, and most of all I had so much fun out there. I never thought I would say that about running 26.2 miles, but it is the truth, I was so sad when it was over!

As for training, find a plan that works for you. I used the Hal Higdon plan and I felt that I was well trained for the race. I would also suggest running a half marathon sometime this year, if WDW 09 is going to be your first full. I ran a half marathon last April, and that was a good starting point for me. I wish I would have run one in say Aug/Sept, as I think I would kept more on my training in the summer, when I kind of slacked off a little last year. Even if you don't sign up for halfs, at least do some races during the year, to get a feel of what race day is like.

If you are running 10 min. miles you will be fine. I was running 10 min pace early on in my training, as I got to the higher distances I did not go that fast. In the race, I jogged the whole first 14 miles between 11-12 min pace. I had maybe one or two miles under 11....then from 14-end, I walked a lot and my miles were in the 12-13 range. And I ended up with a 5:28 time. So, if you can keep up that pace that you are running, you will be way under my time!

I will have to check out your journal and follow your year...just remember...HAVE FUN! It will be an experience, I am sure you will never forget!!!

Laurie,
Did you say you were going to do it again next year?I couldn't find it in your posts as I looked back.
Linda

Well.....I really want to do the Goofy next year..BUT, I am hoping that my DBF and I get engaged in the next month or so...and that would mean I probably wouldn't be able to afford to go to WDW in January. The Goofy isn't looking like I have much time to decide, but I have some time to figure out about the Full.....so, I have a tiny bit of hope that I will get down there, but it we get engaged, I will be saving every penny for a wedding. So, as of right now, that decision is on hold.

Hi Laurie!!!

Great job getting out there and running today. You're going to do so well in the NJ Marathon!

BTW...GREAT picture of you guys in the parade. THAT IS SO COOL!!!!! :goodvibes

Just a quick drive by to say that I got out there for just over 8 miles today. Kept about an 11 min pace. I felt good and I was happy with my run! It felt kind of weird getting out there for yet another LR, but I did it!

OK...gotta go get some stuff done!

Way to go, Laurie!!! You are in the running groove, girl!:cool1:

That is so cool that you were in the AK parade! What a wonderful way to top off your day!:goodvibes

Hope you have a great week ahead!:cool1:

HI Laurie! Just checking in. Hope all is well w/ you!!! Keep up the good work girl!!!

Stacie

Laurie -- wow.. 8miles.. i don't think i can or will EVER do that.. but i am amazed at those that can! LOL Keep up the great work!

Thanks for stopping by everyone!!!

Well, it is a good thing today was a scheduled rest day, because I don't feel well at all. Unfortunately, I couldn't stay home from work to rest today because the afterschool program that I run started up again. There is no way I could have asked anybody at school to cover for me, with 130 kids taking 11 different classes, it would have been madness!! So, I dragged myself to school and got through the day.

If I don't feel better tomorrow, I will probably stay home and rest, but I hate staying out so hopefully I will feel better in the morning.

Tomorrow, if I am feeling better, I will head out for 3 miles afterschool, then I have a BIG hockey game tomorrow night against the first place team!!!! They beat us awhile back, but we have been doing sooo... much better lately, and I know we can beat them!! It will definetely be a tough game though. So, depending on how I feel, I may have to skip the 3 mile run, which isn't too bad since I will still get my exercise in during my game.

Ok, time to go to bed! I will catch up on everyone's journals tomorrow.

:hug: Oh no..sorry to hear you're sick Laurie!!!! I have been battling something for a week now. I think I'm finally feeling back to normal. LOTS of stuff going around here...so just make sure you take time to rest and get better.

Good luck on your run if you get out there tomorrow! Just take care of yourself.

Hi Laurie!

Lots of people under the weather right now...I hope you are feeling better.

Nice work on that 8 miler!! I'm with you on it feeling kind of odd being out there again...every run for so long was focused on the marathon weekend, it's strange to be training for something different. You are going to do so well in May though, I can just tell!

GOOD LUCK tonight!!

Hey everybody! Thanks for the wished to get better...I think they worked. I feel much better!!!

So, I didn't go out for my 3 miler yesterday because I had a big hockey game last night. We ended up losing 2-1, it was a heartbreaker!! We played really well, and almost won. I was kind of down after the game...as the goalie, it is so hard to lose a close game like that. My team is awesome though and they would never blame me, but I am super competitive and hard on myself, so I was a little down. I can't wait to play that team again, because we can so beat them!!!

Today, I had planned on doing 3 miles, but the wind was ridiculous!!!! I went out and ended up doing a quick 2 miles in just about 20 min. I felt good, but the wind was CRAZY!! so I called it a day after 2 miles.

Tomorrow, will be another 3 miles and then I have a 9 or 10 mile LR this weekend, probably on Sunday, as I am going to an all-day scrapbooking crop on Saturday!!! I Can't wait!!! :cool1:

Hope everyone has a great night!!

Sorry to hear about your hockey game :(. Sounds like you played your heart out though!!! You'll get 'em next time for sure!!!!

OMG...the wind was awful today. You are tough girl! I wimped out and hit the treadmill instead ;). Way to get out there in those conditions.

Thanks Amy!! It was tough loss, but there is always the next game! It is funny, because ever since I started running, Gregg says that I have been playing hockey much better!

No training for today, my legs were actually a bit sore, so I took today as a rest day. Tomorrow I will do my 3 miler!

I am really excited about the scrapbooking crop I am attending on saturday! It is from 9am to 9pm!! 12 hours of scrapbooking....:cool1: :cool1:
I can't wait to start my marathon weekend trip album, plus I have a bunch of other stuff planned!

ok, time to go to bed, tomorrow is a professional development day at school....ugh!! I would so much rather be teaching then sitting in meetings all day! that means I better get sleep so I am not falling asleep in these meetings!!

Hi Laurie,
As I said I did not follow your posts from the beginning but how cool is it that you play hockey- COOL! Sorry about the loss. You will get them next time.Yes the wind has been insane-I would rather the cold than wind.

Glad you feel better, alot of sick people around here. We had to turn people away from having procedures done because of being ill.

12 hrs of scrapbooking- you will get alot done I would say.

Have a great weekend,
Linda

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter