Let's make a "Firsts-Timers" Master Tip Sheet!

I love the tips--I have been a few times and I need these too! One tip that I would love to share is not really a tip, but more of a suggestion. If you are lucky enough to live near other Disney lovers, a fun thing to do is have a Disney Planning Party and get together to share tips and ideas. At our church, we have about 30 couples that go to Disney every year, so we get together and share all of our planning strategies. We also make Disney dishes (we get the recipes from allearsnet) and sample the food from the World. We play games, have trivia questions, and play Disney music in the background. It is a lot of fun and it gets you super excited about your forthcoming trip. :banana:

:goodvibes Oh, you are so lucky, I want to live by you guys !:goodvibes

One thing our family does is save the very last afternoon for souvenir shopping at DTD. That way the kids can look at the stores during the entire vacation, but we don't deal with "I want"s because they know that they can't buy their souvie until the very end of the trip. And we know that what they pick out is their favorite thing of all.

I do have to say that the most important tip of all that I have read is the afternoon nap/rest one. The other tips are very helpful, but you could do without them and still have a great vacation. Skip the nap tip and it will surely decrease the enjoyment of your trip.:thumbsup2

Question - is it "ok" to use Disney transportation to go to other parks and hotels if you're not staying on site? I thought Disney buses and such were for on site patrons only? - This answer could help first time visitors.

It's absolutely fine to use WDW transportation between parks and resorts regardless of where you are staying. They want you to visit other parts of WDW!

Just remember, no buses to/from DTD and the parks and no buses between resorts. Sometimes you need to do a little planning. But isn't that why we're all here? *LOL*

Thanks for the tips on my 14 yr old son wanting to wear jeans on our trip to the world now in may when we go. I think I will just let him. He is not a complainer or whiner, so if he gets that uncomfortable, we will just have to buy him some shorts or pack some secretly for him.:)

Like another poster mentioned, it is important to get to the parks early to maximize your touring. Try to make it at least once early to witness the park opening ceremony at the Magic Kingdom. It really sets the mood for a day of magic! It happens approximately 15 minutes before official park opening.

OT, I was wandering if anyone has sent snacks or a package ahead of time before they got to their resort and if so, is it expensive? I don't know yet how much stuff I am considering sending.

Silly question - what number do we call to book the photo shoot? My 30 days is coming up on Saturday :confused:

englishrose47,
I sent a box a few days ago. It was about 14" square and weighed about 9 lbs. I sent it UPS and the total for shipping was $12 and change. Expected delivery is only 3 days.
There are a few surprises for my family that I sent in the box, including coffee and cups for our room, quarters and pennies for pressing and a bag of Disney stuff for my daughter. I feel it was well worth the $12 to keep the surprises.....they are nosy!!
semo233

What's the photo shoot? Never heard of this before...can someone help me out please?

Thanks.

Wow, I am a big idiot. That's what I get for posting at 6am after a sleep study the night before!!

This was supposed to be in another thread! :scared1: :banana: :rotfl2:

The photo shoot I am referring to - for a small fee you can book one of Disney's photographers for a 20-30 minute photo session at the Grand Floridian resort (and someone today mention the Poly in a few weeks!). I *think* it's $50 normally, $25 if you prebuy the Photopass - and if you do the the pics go on your photopass so you can print out the ones you want yourself.. Almost everyone who has done it is happy with the quality of their pics.

Here's the thread: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=1703832

Sorry everyone!

How do grocery delivery services such as gardengrocer.com and wegoshop.com handle the delivery of perishable food products? Also, is anyone familiar with wegoshop.com. Their prices seem much more reasonable.

Also, what size backpack or bag do you carry in to parks? What about for kids?

Thanks for all the tips! I never imagined this trip would be so thought consuming!! I really can't with though!

Whats moleskin?:confused3[/QUOTE]
you get it at Wal-Mart or similar stores in the foot dept. It will help with blisters on the feet. Apply it to the shoe or usually I apply a bandaid and wrap it around the bandaid... This is a must... no matter how much you have broken in your shoes you may still get a blister.....

We use Garden Grocer for each of our trips, and have been very pleased. They allow you to choose a three-hour window for delivery. That being said, last trip they came even before the windo. As I turned on my cellphone from stepping off the plane, I received their mesage that my groceries (perishable, milk, etc.) were stored with bell services. Bell services has a fridge to accomodate these issues. I called bell services, and they brought up our groceries to our room. Everything was cold and fresh. I know that the moderate and deluxe resorts have fridges and bell services, not so sure about the values. Anyone know?

Moleskin is sold in stores by the shoe insoles, its a soft fabric with adhesive that you can put on your shoes such as on the heel of the shoe if your rubbing helps to prevent blisters.

I always thought that you put the moleskin on you skin! No wonder it didn't work :confused3

I like this! Keep 'em coming!! ;)

A few to add...

Make sure to take OTC meds for allergies, sinus pressure, cough, etc. I always like having it just in case.

I make a small ziploc bag (snack size) that has bandaids, ointment, chewable pepto, chap stick, a few OTC meds (including some of the ones above) and alcohol swabs. I can't tell you how hand this has come in..and I started doing this BEFORE we had kids! :rotfl:

If you go when it's hot, hot, hot out, take a travel size of powder with you. I was amazed the first time I did this. A quick trip to the bathroom, wash your face off, and powder down your body. I always left the restroom feeling ready to go again! Very refreshing.

You can take drink mixes (the kind for bottled water) and have cheep drinks. I get them at WalMart for $1.

I really recoment bringing a hat. It keeps the sun out, but what I like it more for is when it is raining. It keeps my poncho hat on and the rain out of my eyes.

In the fall and winter months, bring a sweat shirt and or pants and put them in a locker if you want. I tend to get cool after a day in the hot sun. I'm always glad I've brought one.

Put a name tag/cell # on your camera, or anything else you are taking in a park and don't want to loose. It could help ensure that your stuff is returned.

I have also taken ziplocs in the parks for left over food from CS meals. There are some things (like carrots, grapes, etc.) that I could pop in a bag and have later as a snack if I didn't finish it all at the meal.

During the summer, take ponchos with you...even if it doesn't look like rain. This tip has saved us having to dart into a shop many a time! :rotfl2:
Hope these help!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter