Life After Marathons: A Running/barre3/Coffee/Life Journal

I saw a woman at universal today wearing the purple NB 880. The color caught my eye and then I had to stalk her to see the model of shoe. They are gorgeous.

Someone please take away my credit card. I just bought the black running skirt I mentioned a few pages ago. They're including a free gift with every purchase today. It will probably be compression socks that I won't wear (although tshirts are also options), but ... I like free things.

The good news is ... I realized that I don't have to retire my shoes for another month, so that purchase is getting pushed off for a little bit (more time to debate colors!). And even though I was looking at garmins while my tests were running earlier (that's the project I'm working on right now), I think I'm going to hold off on that purchase until I actually start marathon training.
Also, I think I get paid next week.

But still ... please take away my credit card.

I saw a woman at universal today wearing the purple NB 880. The color caught my eye and then I had to stalk her to see the model of shoe. They are gorgeous.

Yes!! I'm glad they're pretty in person. Thanks for reporting in!

#BuyAllTheThings : Sports Bra Edition

NOTE: If discussions of female undergarments aren’t your thing, you may want to skip this one (I’m not just saying that for the guys – I’m not normally a fan of talking about bras either, so if I wasn’t living it, I might skip it).

So … sports bras. Back in January, my friend told me that I need a new sports bra because mine didn’t work.

She was both right and wrong. In terms of controlling bounce (something important with someone my size), it didn’t really work. In terms of comfort, which is what’s most important to me, it was perfectly fine. But … I told my friend that once I had a new job I would look for a better sports bra.

This particular friend of mine is a big fan of Brooks/Moving Comfort (as are several people around here, I think), so I knew that was a brand I wanted to consider. As part of a discussion about the topic on The Running Thread, someone had mentioned Enell as a brand that’s good for people who wear larger sizes, so that one went on my list too. Beyond that … there was a lot of googling.

Stage One: Try All The Bras

After a little bit of research, I ordered two bras from Zappos:
  • Brooks Moving Comfort Maia –I had looked at the Moving Comfort Juno, but I read a few reviews that said that they recently changed it and the new one wasn’t very good. This bra seemed to have good reviews, so I decided to give it a try. I didn’t realize when I ordered this that it had underwire, but I wanted to be open to trying something new.
    • The Stage One Verdict: I ordered the right size. The tag says it’s the right size. It’s definitely too big. So that’s a no.
  • CW-X Stabilyx Running Bra –I’ve heard of CW-X for compression stuff, but didn’t know they made sports bras. Reviews seemed to be positive, and people said it did prevent bouncing, so (even though it only comes in black and white) I decided to give it a try.
    • The Stage One Verdict: It fit fairly well – maybe a drop big, but my current sports bra seems to be the same drop big, so it may just be one of those “I’m always between sizes” things. I jumped around in front of the mirror for a little bit … there was some bounce, but a lot less than in my old bra. Running is a bouncy activity (and jumping is even bouncier), so I’m not really expecting to find a bra that will eliminate 100% of bounce, and I found the bounce amount in this bra to be within acceptable range. But between the small bounce and the slightly big issue, I wasn’t 100% sold on this, so I decided to try a few more options and reconsider this later if I didn’t find anything I like better.
More research was done, and I ordered three bras from Amazon:
  • Brooks Moving Comfort Juno – I was a little hesitant to try this (between the sizing issues with the Maia and the less-than-great reviews online), but since I know a lot of people love the Juno, I decided to give it a try and hope that the redesign wasn’t as bad as the internet said it was.
    • The Stage One Verdict: It fit. It wasn’t uncomfortable. But it had a little more bounce than I was happy about and adjusting the straps didn’t help. So that was a no.
  • New Balance The Shockingly Unshocking – Y’all know I’m a New Balance gal. So of course I had to try a NB bra. The price was decent (I got it on sale and I think it was the cheapest one I got) and the reviews seemed decent, so I decided to give it a try.
    • The Stage One Verdict: The fit was great. It passed the bounce test … mostly. I had to pull the straps all the way tight (which I did with all the bras), and there was still a little bit of bounce, but my very unscientific measurements said that it was the same amount of bounce as the CW-X bra, so this one made the cut and moved on to the next round.
  • Enell Maximum Control Wire-Free Sports Bra – Someone on the Running Thread (I can’t remember who off the top of my head) recommended Enell, and from what I could see online, they definitely seemed to cater to the larger-sized ladies. My problem was … I don’t like things that don’t use traditional bra sizes. But I decided to take out my tape measure, take some measurements, and order what seemed to be the right size.
    • The Stage One Verdict: Emphasis on “seemed to be the right size.” It was not. This is why I like things that have traditional sizes. I always measure wrong. If my other options don’t work out, I’m not against the idea of trying Enell again … but I’d have to have someone else help me with the sizing. For now it’s a no.
Stage Two: The Comfort Test
At this point there were two bras left in the competition – the CW-X Stabilyx Bra and the New Balance Shockingly Unshocking.
  • CW-X Stabilyx – I tried this one on first and wore it for half an hour. I wasn’t doing anything exciting (mostly sitting at the computer typing up a race recap :)), but … it was comfortable. I was willing to move it on to the next stage – the run test.
  • New Balance Shockingly Unshocking – I switched from the CW-X bra into this and wore this for 10 minutes … and then I was done. I wanted it to be super comfortable, but it wasn’t. I was sad. This one did not move on to the next round.
Stage Three: Run Test
  • CW-X Stabilyx
    • I wore this for a 30 minute treadmill run. It failed the treadmill test. At first it felt like it didn’t fit right, then I adjusted the band and it was better, but I didn’t feel at all supported, and at times my breasts were a little painful. I was not happy – there was no way I could have worn this for a longer run on the treadmill. I wasn’t fully writing it off, though – next step would be trying it out on an outside run. (Side note: It may not be comfortable on the treadmill, but it’s super comfortable for shoveling. If it doesn’t work out as a running bra, this could potentially be a good bra for a day when I plan to sweat a lot for non-sports activities … like when it’s really hot out.)
    • I didn’t want to write it off with just a treadmill test, so I took it outside. I ran 4.5 miles at an easy(ish) pace, and it was fine. A little tight at first, but that’s just an issue of playing around with which hooks I use. Definitely passed the outside running test.
So, it looks like (other than possibly for treadmill runs), the CW-X Stabilyx Running Bra is my new sports bra of choice. Yay! Obviously I will continue to try to pay attention to how it feels (especially on longer run days), but I think it'll be good. I’m going to mostly continue wearing my old bras, but this will definitely be in the rotation (and will be my race bra of choice), and I’ll start buying more as they go on sale (and/or my old ones wear out … which they haven’t yet). The $60 price tag isn’t my favorite (especially compared to my old Champion bras, which I could get on sale for $20-$25), but it’s not the worst.

Now I just have to return all of the bras I’m not keeping…

I'm one of the ones that likes Brooks. I use the UpLift crossback, which are specifically designed for larger busts. They run a little snug and are not at all adjustable (unless you count adjusting the placement of the crossback straps up/down your shoulders, which helps a lot actually), but they work really well for me both outside and on the TM. I'm slowly replacing all of my other ones with these. Otherwise, sounds like you've got a great option with the CW-X!!

I love how you worked your way through the sports bra decision. I do not have the patience for that! Luckily, I don't require a lot of support from my running bras, so I can stick with things like the Target brand and do pretty well. Hope the CW-X one continues to work for you!

I'm one of the ones that likes Brooks. I use the UpLift crossback, which are specifically designed for larger busts. They run a little snug and are not at all adjustable (unless you count adjusting the placement of the crossback straps up/down your shoulders, which helps a lot actually), but they work really well for me both outside and on the TM. I'm slowly replacing all of my other ones with these. Otherwise, sounds like you've got a great option with the CW-X!!

I looked at the UpLift crossback, but things that come in letter sizes tend to not fit me well (I actually looked at the sizing chart on their website and it looks like I'm just on the border for the XL, so I might try it if I need to keep looking). From what I've seen, it definitely looks like a good bra - glad to hear it works so well for you!

I love how you worked your way through the sports bra decision. I do not have the patience for that! Luckily, I don't require a lot of support from my running bras, so I can stick with things like the Target brand and do pretty well. Hope the CW-X one continues to work for you!

Yeah, it's one of those things that it's hard to have the patience for, but I just have to do it. I wish I could wear Target brand or something like that and get away with it ... I tend to not even fit in most store brands, forget about being comfortable. Grr.
Thanks!

I don't feel like we have talked about coffee in a while... We stayed in our new place last night (yay) but it doesn't have a water softener or any RO water, so we made coffee with the tap water and it was AWFUL. I couldn't even drink it. Right now I am thankful for office coffee to get me through the day.
:coffee:

I don't feel like we have talked about coffee in a while... We stayed in our new place last night (yay) but it doesn't have a water softener or any RO water, so we made coffee with the tap water and it was AWFUL. I couldn't even drink it. Right now I am thankful for office coffee to get me through the day.

I would have cried.

We have not talked about coffee in a while. Thank you for rectifying that.

That's horrifying. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have usable water for coffee at home.
Is it too late to move back in with your in-laws? (Kidding)

I'm actually on office coffee for the next few days, as my coffee maker at home has been put away for Passover (weird kinda complicated religious thing). Thankfully, I do have a coffee maker that I use on Passover, so once that comes out of storage (probably Friday), I'll be back to making coffee at home.

Also, I just got back from Dunkin Donuts. Next time, someone please remind me that I don't like hazelnut in my coffee.

Also ... have we all heard about the Starbucks birthday reward situation? Starting today you can only use your birthday free drink on your actual birthday. I'm not a happy camper ... I almost never use it on my actual birthday. If I can, I hermit on my birthday. I'm currently boycotting Starbucks (I don't expect this boycott to last very long).

That's horrifying. I don't know what I would do if I didn't have usable water for coffee at home.

I'm actually on office coffee for the next few days, as my coffee maker at home has been put away for Passover (weird kinda complicated religious thing). Thankfully, I do have a coffee maker that I use on Passover, so once that comes out of storage (probably Friday), I'll be back to making coffee at home.

Also, I just got back from Dunkin Donuts. Next time, someone please remind me that I don't like hazelnut in my coffee.

Also ... have we all heard about the Starbucks birthday reward situation? Starting today you can only use your birthday free drink on your actual birthday. I'm not a happy camper ... I almost never use it on my actual birthday. If I can, I hermit on my birthday. I'm currently boycotting Starbucks (I don't expect this boycott to last very long).
We are getting a Brita filter ASAP because this not only affects my coffee intake but also my water intake.
BRB Googling the rules of Passover and what that means to your coffee intake....
Starbucks has been on my nerves for years with that! I noticed a few years ago that they dropped the time frame to use your birthday reward from like a month or 2 weeks down to 3 days. And now to only allow it on your birthday?! It's not like they don't have money. Geeeeez.

We are getting a Brita filter ASAP because this not only affects my coffee intake but also my water intake.

Good call. I have drinkable tap water, but I still put Brita water in the coffee maker. I'm weird like that.

RB Googling the rules of Passover and what that means to your coffee intake....

It doesn't really have any effect on my coffee intake (other than that I don't eat out, and that includes going out for coffee), but we do have entirely separate kitchenware... including a separate coffee maker.

Starbucks has been on my nerves for years with that! I noticed a few years ago that they dropped the time frame to use your birthday reward from like a month or 2 weeks down to 3 days. And now to only allow it on your birthday?! It's not like they don't have money. Geeeeez.

Yeah, I'm not a huge fan of how they've slowly been making the rewards program worth less. I'm just waiting for the day when you can only use your birthday reward at the exact minute you were born.
Grrr.

Is it because Passover begins the same day as Sabbath?

I used to like Dunkin Donuts when they brewed their flavored coffee from roasted beans. Now it’s some weird flavor shot.

I’m really mad about the birthday reward!

Is it because Passover begins the same day as Sabbath?

That's a good guess, but no. It's because there are certain foods we don't eat on passover, so we have a totally set of kitchenware and dishes. So we have a separate passover coffeemaker.

I used to like Dunkin Donuts when they brewed their flavored coffee from roasted beans. Now it’s some weird flavor shot.

Yeah .... drawing the flavors was much better. No idea why they switched (I'm guessing $$)

I’m really mad about the birthday reward!

Yeah.

I don't think this is a very happy coffee update... no coffee at home, bad dunkin' (I don't like hazelnut either), and terrible change to Starbucks bday rewards (I hadn't heard this and I consider myself fluent in all things starbucks, so this is VERY surprising!!).

Thanks for the update on the birthday reward. I had not hear that. I also was update when it went from like a month to three days as I don't always use it right away. Now to have only 1 day. Most companies honor it as a birthday month reward.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter