• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Loved LeCellier last year, but this year... :(

BluOrchid2

<font color=deeppink>Princess Aurora's Mommy<br><f
Here's my review of Le Cellier last week. :( It was not nearly as nice as our dining experience there last year. This year, it did not feel like an upscale restaurant. Last year, we went at the same time of year, on the free dining plan offer, and couldn't wait to eat at LC again this year but were greatly disappointed.

First of all, it took an additional 30 minutes past our PS time to be seated, which brought us right to 9:00 pm. We were seated just as Illuminations was starting. Since we had last year’s dinner at Le Cellier to base expectations on, we were somewhat disappointed in our meal this time. Service was inattentive. After we were seated, it was a good 5 minutes before our server came by, and 10 minutes or so before we got anything to drink. She was friendly enough, just not very attentive to our needs. DH ordered iced tea, and was not brought a spoon with it. On a refill of my soft drink, my last glass was removed with my straw in it and the straw not replaced with the refill. I was greatly disappointed with the Asian shrimp cocktail, which is no longer being served in the same presentation as last year. Last year, it was served on a rectangular platter, with a Chinese food-to-go box made to appear as if it had spilled out on the plate with the Wasabi slaw forming a bed beneath the shrimp, and I think there was a sauce of some kind drizzled over it all. Very nice presentation. Last night, it arrived thrown into a very deep bowl. It was not a very big serving, so it was all at the bottom of this very deep bowl, and you could not see it very well to appreciate all the colors and textures. The shrimp were smaller, too, than last year.

I ordered the 14 oz Strip Steak, prepared medium. DH ordered the same. Mine arrived medium rare to rare, and I was going to send it back until I noticed Darrin’s was prepared correctly. He sometimes likes his steak not as done as I do, so he traded with me. He even said it was almost too rare for him to eat. The roasted potatoes and whatever the greens on the plate were were unremarkable. Living in Kansas City, we are used to some mighty fine steak, but I expected the same quality from these steaks as they were touted to be Alberta beef. It had a good taste by itself, but they had poured steak sauce all over it. I’ve eaten enough great steaks to know that you don’t ruin a good steak with steak sauce if it’s of high enough quality, so that was disappointing and seemed like a cover-up. Meh.

And BEWARE, if you order the filet mignon, it comes with BBQ SAUCE poured all over it. My MIL was hugely disappointed in it. When you're in the mood for a good filet, the last thing you want is BBQ taste.

I was looking SO forward to having the same dessert I had there last year, a warm apple crumb cobbler served with a scoop of ice cream. Last year, it was served in a single-serving sized cast iron skillet that was about 6 inches across and about 1.5 inches deep. Well, they didn’t have that, but the menu offered a Double Berry Buckle with a scoop of blueberry ice cream so I ordered that. What a huge letdown. The portion size was about 1/3 that of last year’s. It came in something like a custard cup and was mostly the biscuit-y crust stuff, with just a little bit of berry stuff down in the bottom that you had to dig for. And not at all juicy. The scoop of ice cream was about 1.5 inches in diameter, compared to the 2.5” scoop that came with the apple crumb cobbler last year.

DH and Grammy ordered the Crème Brulee sampler, and it was a joke also. Tasted good enough, he said, but the portions were tiny – not even as much as you get at Wolfgang Puck’s Express which is a counter service at DTD. The “sampler” arrived at our table as a divided dish that was about 4” in diameter and about 1” deep with the vanilla crème brulee on one side and the maple crème brulee on the other side. The desserts themselves were only about ½” deep in the dish.

The whole meal was not nearly as special as it was last year. There were several times that our server could not be seen at all, just disappeared for long periods of time. Didn't even see her waiting on other tables, which would have been fine. This meal, I would venture to say, wasn't even as nice as one we could have had at our local Longhorn or Outback Steakhouse.

Boo.

I'm no gourmet, but does French cuisine actually incorporate BBQ sauce?!?

And being from NC I have to ask, was it ketchup or vinegar based? :teeth:

holcomb-mania said:
I'm no gourmet, but does French cuisine actually incorporate BBQ sauce?!?

And being from NC I have to ask, was it ketchup or vinegar based? :teeth:

I hope the op does not mind me answering this----the bbq sauce is tomato base.

Bluorchid2 - Sorry your meal didn't live up to expectations, or to your previous experience. We've had a couple of great meals here, with another one booked for January. I hope we have better luck!

Holcomb-mania - It's "steakhouse cuisine" rather than "French cuisine" at Le Cellier. You're right - BBQ sauce and French cuisine don't exactly go hand in hand!

Cheers,

The best part of our meal at Le Cellier last year was the fact that the waitress forgot to put the wine on the bill. Since I'm honest, I told her about the error and she told me it was "on the house" because we had to wait so long for our seat (we had ADR's).

The meal was so-so, but we love service like that!

First of all it's not French, it's Canadian..

the sauce is a maple based glaze bbq sauce and it's delcious!

I will have to say my family was very sad at our experiance as well. We eat here every trip and sometimes twice a trip. This last time we ate here twice and the food was so so. It was still ok. But no where near as good. It seems as if stuff made ahead of time now instead of by order. I think we would go back again but it is no longer the best! I hope it was just a fluke thing but the fact both meals where the same I do worry.

Was this during the free dining period? We were there last year and LOVED it. Alot of people are saying the restaurants are overwhelmed with the free dining. I can only imagine the amount of food they have to prepare during a promotion like that.

There are two filets served and from what I heard if you do not order specifically the mushroom filet - this one comes with the mushroom risotto- then you get the other with the maple BBQ sauce that comes with the cream cheese mashed potato (which I am looking forward to trying).

I think this restaurant is all right. Nothing to brag about. But by the previous posts here on the DIS, it's a pinnacle place.

If the food is just so so now it must have been out of this world before because we ate there during free dining in Aug for the first time and my DH and myself could not believe how good our meal was. It was the best steak I have ever had and the service was fantastic. We had a 2nd ADR later in the week that we were going to cancel but ended up keeping it.

We recently ate there on Sept 29.
We had a small wait for our table. And although we had a nice waitress, the service was slow. It was extremely noisy too. I had the strip steak and was VERY disappointed. I should have ordered it sans the demi glaze. The cheddar soup seemed to taste extremely smokey. And the dessert, I think it was called whiskey cake?, was not that good either.
Having ate there in the past, I was looking forward to returning there on this past trip. I will not be eating there again. :sad2:

I was never impressed with this place. Service always slow and I personally thought the chicken dish was far more superior than the steak.

I like it for lunch though...the cheddar cheese soup is to dye for and a burger..........mmmmmmmmmmmm

I will always do lunch but prefer my steak at CG or Yachtsmen

Sorry your family didnt like it, Blu. That sux when you are let down based on previous experience.

We ate here in September and it was wonderful as last year. I got the mushroom filet (last year I got the maple BBQ filet). It was heaven.
We got a berry cobbler last year that was out of this world but they didnt have it this year. I did notice the shrimp change and the desserts were smaller. Our server was excellent.

One thing though, we arrived about 45 minutes before our ADR and asked the girl is they could fit us in. She started to ask the girl with the computer thingy and she says "we arent taking any walkups". She didnt even let the 1 girl finish the question. I tried to explain we were just checking if we could get in early and she said "no, come back in 45 minutes and we will see if you can get in". Umm, our ADR was in 45 minutes. She was very grouchy. We left and came back and were seated within 3 minutes of waiting. :confused3

Our lunch here was not the best this trip either. This resturant has always been one of our favs' and we had 2 ADRs for this trip. Our lunch was at 2 so the resturant was not busy at all , many empty tables. The server was irritated at my DD when she found she did not eat red meat or fish- and commented why are you here? She did not try and accomodate my DD at all and service went down hill from there.
The menue should indicate there is a sauce on the fillet, my DS does not like sauce on anything, we would have ordered it plain...
Now they were very good about handling my DH's mushrrom allergy.
Just alltogether disapointing when you look forward to a meal experience.

We cancelled our second ADR and were able to book Coral Reef- awesome steaks and service.

Bev

Bless you for this review!

We have reservations for Wednesday (lunch) :banana: and I have been looking forward to the filet (and the soup!)., I cannot tolerate any cooked tomato based sauces and would never have thought to put one on a steak. Just not a barbeque person, I guess.

Anyway, thanks for the heads up. I will now specify "no sauces at all".

Deborah

We had dinner at Le Cellier in August. We were on the Dining Plan but it wasn't free!

The shrimp was in the bowl when we were there so that wasn't a change they made just for free dining. It wasn't what I expected but it was good. I had the filet but I HATE bbq sauce so I told our server that I didn't want the sauce. He brought out a small serving of the sauce on the side and asked me to please taste it. I did, and it tasted like bbq sauce! :p but at least it wasn't on my steak!

We have noticed that the portions at many of the TS restaurants are not very big. Ordinarily if we order an appetizer it is more than enough for 2 people to share, but at Disney the appetizers are single servings. I don't have a basis for comparison on dessert size because we went to places we hadn't been before on our most recent trip, but the dessert portions didn't seem terribly generous.

Bev J said:
The menue should indicate there is a sauce on the fillet, my DS does not like sauce on anything, we would have ordered it plain...
The menu DOES indicate there's a sauce on the filet. Note that Le Cellier has TWO filets - one highlighted at the top of the entree menu (ie.e signature dish), and one in with the rest of the entrees. Apparently, unless one specifies "mushroom filet", one receives the basic, sauced version. Now, why they'd have a specialty but assume diners want the 'other' item, I don't know...

http://www.wdwinfo.com/wdwinfo/dining/menuoutput.cfm

Dinner
Entree/Main Course
Le Cellier Mushroom Filet Mignon - Wild mushroom risotto, white truffle and herb beurre blanc, topped with fried parsnips. - $27.99
Grilled Tofu & Vegetables - Served with Millet Salad and finished with roasted vegetable nage. - $15.99
Sauteed Jumbo Shrimp - Served with oven-dried tomatoes, fresh spinach and Meyer lemon. - $25.99
Herb Crusted Prime Rib - Served with Roasted Yukon potatoes, finished with veal demi-glace. - $21.99
Grilled Pork Tenderloin - Served with Sweet potato puree, Apple arugula salad, and Sherry-bacon vinaigrette. - $19.99
Free Range Chicken - Cast iron-seared chicken breast with cream cheese mashed potatoes, string beans, and mushroom sauce. - $19.99
Seared King Salmon - Served with Sweet corn, Fava bean succotash, and corn puree with maple-ginger glaze. - $19.99
14 oz New York Strip Steak - Served with marinated Vidalia onions, watercress, and roasted Yukon potatoes and finished with Veal demi-glace. - $26.99
7 oz Filet Mignon - Glazed with maple BBQ sauce and accompanied by cream cheese mashed potatoes. - $26.99

This is our new favorite place to eat in the world, but I would have to say the service was slow, yet rushed at the same time, if that makes any sense. August was our 1st time to eat there, so I can't compare that to any previous visits.

I guess it's like the rides, parks, resorts -- to each his own. For me, you couldn't get me back to Coral Reef, but others absolutely love it, so what do I know? :teeth:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter