"Magical Express" - Day 1 (Long)

WebmasterDoc

DIS Veteran
Today marked the first day of the new Magical Express program at WDW. While it promises to be an asset to the WDW experience, it has a ways to go.

We booked our Magical Express transportation thru MS 22 days ago. I was informed that our documents would be sent out 3 weeks before arrival, I pointed out that they should be sent out very soon and was told that they would get them out as quickly as possible.

Last Thursday (7 days prior to our arrival) I called MS to inquire about our Magical Express documents, since they still had not arrived. I was infromed that "they were experiencing some printing difficulties" and would get them sent out as soon as possible. I was also given instructions about what to do "in case they don't arrive before" our departure.

Our documents arrived by FedEx yesterday (5/04/05).

We have gotten to the point, in our Disney travels, where we usually take only carry-on bags, since we have a washer/dryer in the 1BR villa. For this trip, I wanted to truly test Magical Express so we took and extra suitcase- almost empty- just to check a bag.

We were scheduled to arrive at MCO at 7:05pm, but due to delays at ATL we arrived at 8:10 and deplaned about 8:20. We were greeted by Magical Express CM's (wearing Mickey Gloves) as we got off the airport tram at the terminal. We were directed to the Magical Express desk (2 levels down the escalator) where there was a queue to go thru the line. At this time of the day, there were still 10 CM clerk stations open (the desk looks like an airline ticket counter) and we got thru the line quickly- about 5 minutes. While I was in that queue, DW was talking to another CM about how the first day went. She was informed that between 11:00am and 3:00 pm, about 6,000 guests went thru the Magical Express queue, and most DID NOT HAVE ANY DOCUMENTS. So the wait was unbearable with lots of unhappy campers. There will be days to come when over 10,000 guests will be using Magical Express. Hopefully, the documents will be sent out in a timely fashion by then.

Our bus trip was great. Even though we had to wait about 15 minutes to leave, there were only 4 families on the bus. Our bus made 3 stops. SSR was first (one family), OKW was next (just DW and me) and two families for PO/FQ. A video plays on the bus about WDW and the Magical Express program. it emphasizes that gratuities are not expected for the program.

Our checked bag was delivered to the room just after midnight- about 4 hours after landing at MCO.

We have been traveling with FL Tours for a couple of years now and must admit that we missed be greeted by a driver with our name on a sign as we came down the escalator tonight.

I am willing to forgive the, for us, minor inconveniences of Magical Express from this trip and anticipate that the program will run much more smoothly as time goes on and the initial "bugs" are worked from the program. Documents being sent in a timely fashion, guests being better informed about the program (thru the documents) and more efficient handling of checked bags will all serve to make the program a truly positive experience for WDW guests. The buses are great - very comfortable, experienced drivers- and the price is certainly right.

All in all, I'd give our experience with Magical Express a "B" and expect that grade to improve in the coming months.

For DVC members used to a grocery stop, I'd suggest taking advantage of Magical Express and then rent a car for a day (or take a cab) to make a grocery stop. Unless you want a car for your entire stay, you'll still be $$$ ahead.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the report! I am glad it went decently for you. We are using ME on the 22nd, so I will be watching all the ME reports closely. I am not too worried though-just curious :) Have a great trip, and thanks for posting!

My son and his girlfriend are using Magical Express in August. I am worried about the documents arriving here at the Uk in time as they are visiting Las Vegas for a week before they fly to Orlando. Do you think I should e-mail Member Services and ask them to send them out early?
Will that even be possible as I imagine they are generated automatically.

Thanks

Um, what is that saying............

"You get what you pay for?!?"

'Nough Said!

Scratch

I was on a business trip yesterday, and our travel agent called. Oh course, my DH took the call, did not understand what they said, but it was something about us calling Disney to confirm our ressies. We have never done this in the past so I am wondering if this has something to do with ME. We leave on May 21, so I will report on how it goes.
:cool1:

Thanks Doc.
We will try it today, we arrive around 8:30 PM. We still have not received any tags or documents of any kind.
I will post how it went next week.

Enjoy your trip.
:wave: :wave: :wave:

Bump, Bump-sounds like lots of initial bumps in this ME. We arrive tomorrow-still nothing. What I'm wondering-are people allowed to bring all their carryons on the bus with them? I'm bringing everything in (allowable size, not large)my 2 carryons-it's only a 3 day trip. And if it has to go separately and doesn't arrive until 4 hours later, well, we arrive at 7:30 pm, and 4 hours later I expect to be sleeping (or at least trying to) so I'm ready to get "up and at 'em" to see Mickey. Without my luggage/jammies, what would I sleep in?

Is 4 hours for luggage delivery going to be the normal wait time???? We're supposed to use ME in June but we won't land until about 7:30pm. With 2 young kids there is no way we can stay up until midnight to wait for luggage.

I was reluctant to go with ME since we usually rent a car. I was kind of expecting all kinds of problems. BUT DH talked me into it since it's only a 3 night trip this time. I'm really hoping they get the bugs out before then.

Thanks for the report!!!! Enjoy your time in OKW!

Doc, thank you for the ME information. We all want to know everything about ME. It appears ME is designed to work like DCLs airport/port transporation. With DCL everyone is going to the same place and has already been assigned a room - not so at WDW. Many DVC members that went on the first members cruise reported flawless experiences in getting information and deliveries on the ship, while many of us at MH last year reported many inconsistencies and inconveniences possibly due to the different DVC resorts and other accommodations. You are so fair and kind in your reporting, and I really appreciate the information, but having someone deliver luggage at midnight is not the way I want to start my vacation - maybe 7A.M. would be worse - LOL. Good luck on your return with ME, and please post how it goes.

Thanks Doc for reporting your experinces. I hope they work out the bugs soon for everyone who has upcoming trips :wizard:
Have a great time on the rest of your vacation and let us know how it goes!

hey people give it awhile - I am sure once it up and working properly - 2 hours (unless there is a problem at the airport) - would be the wait for the luggage.

One on my last trip we waited in the Orlando airport for 2 hours for the luggage to arrive....believe me I would rather be at WDW enjoying the parks or resorts - than there waiting for my luggage to arrive at the airport....

thanks for the report Doc - as always a wonderful report.

Anyone so far report any luggage missing?

I have a trip booked in September, and I was planning on using the Magical Express to get me to the Hotel and back... we will only have carry-ons, (just my DW and I)...
Do they allow ME without luggage?
How often do the busses run?
Where do they bring you? Are there busses for different areas of WDW?

thanks for the input !

WebmasterDoc said:
, and most DID NOT HAVE ANY DOCUMENTS. So the wait was unbearable with lots of unhappy campers.
Why?

It is now a known fact that many guests have not been receiving baggage tags and documents in timely fashion.

Therefore the ME hosts at the airport are fully capable of making those without documents just as happy as those with documents.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/magicx.htm

Thanks for the report, Doc! I can't use ME this trip because I'm staying at the Dolphin, but I plan to try it out in December.

Karen

Thank you for informing us about your experience. I am sure that the service will improve -- at least I am hoping. My family don't want to try this service but if we did we would wait.

My mother and I only take a carry-on suitcase. If we check in it is only when I have trouble packing all of the things I bought. :rotfl:

We always take Mears. Now I am wondering if as a DVC member if I would be getting the discount coupons for Mears. I am sure Mears is going to lose a lot of money from this new service of Disney. The one thing I like is now maybe there will be less people waiting for a Mears bus taking them to Disney. So maybe we won't have so many stops.

NandP said:
I have a trip booked in September, and I was planning on using the Magical Express to get me to the Hotel and back... we will only have carry-ons, (just my DW and I)...
Do they allow ME without luggage?
How often do the busses run?
Where do they bring you? Are there busses for different areas of WDW?

thanks for the input !
I'm using ME tomorrow with only carry-ons. I'm already in the system and when I told the CM I spoke with that my only "luggage" was my 2 carry-ons, it didn't seem to be a problem. I'll be reporting when I get back (next Wednesday night).

Thanks for the information. I have been eager to hear first hand experiences about the ME progem. We havent decied yet if we are going to use in for our next trip.

Angela

disneyokw said:
I am sure Mears is going to lose a lot of money from this new service of Disney.

I imagine Mears will more than make up for any lost fares with their contract that they have with Disney to provide the service. My concern would be for the town car drivers that may lose some opportunities.

disneyokw said:
I am sure Mears is going to lose a lot of money from this new service of Disney. The one thing I like is now maybe there will be less people waiting for a Mears bus taking them to Disney. So maybe we won't have so many stops.

Umm - Mears is running the ME busses.

spiceycat said:
One on my last trip we waited in the Orlando airport for 2 hours for the luggage to arrive....

You have a good point. I wonder how many people will blame Disney for late luggage when it was really the airline's fault...(kill the messenger and all).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter