Magical Express no longer handles luggage

SherylLC

DIS Veteran
I just heard from ME that they no longer handle luggage so for my October trip I'll need to retrieve my bags from baggage claim. Maybe this is old news.

I LOVED the ability to leave luggage transport to this service. I realize this isn't the end of the world, but still, I'm so sad😞

Plus, DME is going away completely. Round trip DME service will be available for those with arrival dates through 12/31/2021.

There is also no longer transport for your bags to the airport on your final day, you have to bring them to ME or car service yourself now. Not sure if you realized that was part of it so wanted to point it out. That was a bigger inconvenience to us than having to get our own bags in the airport.

There is also no longer transport for your bags to the airport on your final day, you have to bring them to ME or car service yourself now. Not sure if you realized that was part of it so wanted to point it out. That was a bigger inconvenience to us than having to get our own bags in the airport.

Yes, this.

Why hasn't resort airline check in returned? Can't be due to covid concerns anymore.

^^ Many other threads about that. If DME is going away, then clearly the luggage handling part would also end.

I didn't think RAC was connected with Magical Express - thought it was it's own service since other hotels/cruises use that same type of service. Interesting!

We always picked-up and carried on our own bags with ME and only able to utilize RAC once, so I admit I didn't know much about it other than I liked it. :)

Last edited:
DME and RAC were two separate services, operated by two separate companies. Mears runs DME and BAGS, Inc provided the RAC service. Contrary to a lot of what's out on the internet (shock, I know) BAGS, Inc did not go out of business. They were bought by another company. They still provide similar services (for a fee) at other resorts and cruise lines just like they always have.

On the day Disney announced the end of DME, Mears announced they would be providing the same type service beginning on 1/2/22. They have not announced the details of that yet, but should be doing so "soon". Probably learned that from Disney. 😄

Steve

DME and RAC were two separate services, operated by two separate companies. Mears runs DME and BAGS, Inc provided the RAC service. Contrary to a lot of what's out on the internet (shock, I know) BAGS, Inc did not go out of business. They were bought by another company. They still provide similar services (for a fee) at other resorts and cruise lines just like they always have.

On the day Disney announced the end of DME, Mears announced they would be providing the same type service beginning on 1/2/22. They have not announced the details of that yet, but should be doing so "soon". Probably learned that from Disney. 😄

Steve

Okay, so I'm not crazy, RAC wasn't a part of DME! Thanks! :D

Yes, this.

Why hasn't resort airline check in returned? Can't be due to covid concerns anymore.
If BAGS, the company that handled RAC, offers Disney a good deal and a contract, then it will return. BAGS works for many other hotels/resorts. It's never been part of DME, even though Disney tied it all into one package.
It sure would be nice if it returned....it was so nice to just go to security, without having to check bags first!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter