Marathon Weekend 2018

For the marathon the character stops are shorter in the second half of the race than on the beginning.
What is your experience with characters and the half marathon? I'm hoping to get the odd ones you don't see often in the parks...

What is your experience with characters and the half marathon? I'm hoping to get the odd ones you don't see often in the parks...
Well this years half was cancelled but in 2016 it was the same. You will see more rare ones for sure but who we won't know until you start running.

Happy Sunday! Hope everyone had a great week.

As always Sundays are for Disney so today's question is:

What is one ADR you are planning to get to celebrate a race? If you aren't celebrating via a meal how else are you planning to celebrate?

My answer: I'm still not 100% decided where to have my celebration meal. Maybe today's question will help me decide.

Sundays are for Disney:

Not sure yet. We have always done our celebratory meal at Boatwright's and, contrary to some negative opinions from elsewhere, have always enjoyed it. We won't be on site this year so I'm not sure if we'll have an ADR or not.

I am planning on hitting Ohana for the first time this WDWMW trip and also plan on making a reservation at Tusker House for our group. Would like to visit Restaurant Marrakech as well at some point during our trip, but there are so many awesome places and things to eat that I'm not worried about missing out.

I still have a lot of planning in flux for next year (including but not limited to: size of our party, which members will be there and when, will anyone be staying after the Weekend is over, how many park days, etc.). I'd love to be done and hashing out the small details by now, but too many things still in the air to narrow my focus yet.

ETA: Welcome to all of the newcomers. Marathon Weekend is my favorite time of year and this board is an awesome place for information. I think anyone with even a small affinity for Disney or distance running will have an incredible experience. Good luck with your training!

Last edited:
What is one ADR you are planning to get to celebrate a race? If you aren't celebrating via a meal how else are you planning to celebrate?
If I did an ADR I would pick a character buffet/all you can eat, probably Crystal Palace or Garden Grill to get fun medal pics with the characters. Although, after attempting ADRs after the marathon twice & not eating much or not going at all, we'll just celebrate by going to a park, eating at our resort or park counter service and getting medal pics with characters & icons, which park who knows yet.

My answer: I'm still not 100% decided where to have my celebration meal. Maybe today's question will help me decide.

Le Cellier Steakhouse in Canada Epcot. I will tell the server to bring me bottomless LaFin Du Monde Beer and eat the cheese plate and filet mignon.

Sundays are for Disney:

Not sure yet. We have always done our celebratory meal at Boatwright's and, contrary to some negative opinions from elsewhere, have always enjoyed it.

The most vocal complainant about Boatwrights is Pete Werner. He hates the restaurant, and he is entitled to his opinion about it. He also owns these forums and runs DISUnplugged, so you hear about his disdain against BW, a lot! However, he really likes POR, outside of their TS restaurant offering. Personally, I don't have a problem with BW. It's not my favorite restaurant, but it's not my worst.

DH and I will be doing HDDR Sunday night to celebrate Dopey before heading out on the Dream for the Castaway Cay Challenge cruise Monday morning. :yay:

You know, this is the first time I've ever heard anyone wanting HDDR for the "we did it!" meal! That actually sounds really really fun!

The most vocal complainant about Boatwrights is Pete Werner. He hates the restaurant, and he is entitled to his opinion about it. He also owns these forums and runs DISUnplugged, so you hear about his disdain against BW, a lot! However, he really likes POR, outside of their TS restaurant offering. Personally, I don't have a problem with BW. It's not my favorite restaurant, but it's not my worst.

You've pinpointed the opinion(s) to which I was referring. I enjoy hearing his voice on most subjects so it's a little disconcerting that he is so vociferous in his opinion. I'm good agreeing to disagree with him on this one.

I never know how I'm going to feel after a race. Sometimes I'm ravenous pretty quickly and sometimes my typically cast iron stomach just doesn't want food. Last year we didn't have an ADR and I was in the mood for a feast. We went to The Knife in the goodings shopping plaza right outside of hotel plaza blvd. The price is cheap for all you can eat grilled meats, a salad bar, sides including empanadas and a bottle of wine or two beers or soda. I felt mighty fine after leaving there. We will likely go there again rather than being tied to an ADR.

We currently have 2 reservations because we cant decide. One for BOG at 630 and one for Cali Grill at 730.

Usually my celebration meal is Cali Grill on Monday night and watching fireworks from up there, but we are hopping on the Disney Dream Monday morning to chase more bling, so gotta change things up.

Will decide this week so we can open up the other reservation and not be one of "those people" who book like 8 reservations a day until then release a day or two in advance.

BRF and I were texting quite a bit yesterday about this very thing! Right now we are narrowing down our Sunday evening celebratory dinner to Jiko, California Grill, or Hoop de doo. DH wants Hoop De Doo, but BRF and her husband are afraid they'll think its too cheesy. Hopefully we will decide soon!

But some of the glamor in HDDR is how cheesy it is! And all you can drink Yuengling, Bud Light and sangria!

I'm a sucker for Via Napoli, myself.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter