Marathon Weekend 2021

Sad to hear about W&D, but selfishly I like having a sort of preview of what might happen if MW is cancelled--though I remind myself that they're not obligated to keep procedures the same from event to event I hope they'd handle it the same way.

Yet again I regret renting DVC and losing flexibility on this trip. Even if MW is cancelled we'll be going to WDW in January as long as it's safe to do so because that's $1600+ I won't get back either way.

Sad to hear about W&D, but selfishly I like having a sort of preview of what might happen if MW is cancelled--though I remind myself that they're not obligated to keep procedures the same from event to event I hope they'd handle it the same way.

Yet again I regret renting DVC and losing flexibility on this trip. Even if MW is cancelled we'll be going to WDW in January as long as it's safe to do so because that's $1600+ I won't get back either way.

Well they handled W&D differnet then they handled star wars (star wars had no virtual option) but the things that were consistent are an offer for a full refund and no deferral option.

Well they handled W&D differnet then they handled star wars (star wars had no virtual option) but the things that were consistent are an offer for a full refund and no deferral option.
Honestly, with the W&D virtuals priced as high as they are I'd go for the full refund anyway, so at least the option that works for me has been consistent so far.

I just don't understand the appeal of virtual races...

Being signed up for a race motivates me to do more than I typically would do. I generally have no problem going out and running 4-6 miles most days and will occasionally go up to 8-10 on the weekends, but it takes being signed up for a marathon to push into the 13-18 mile range.

The preference, of course, is a physical race. But if it takes going virtual to get me to do more, then I'm willing to do that. To date, I've had a free entry for one virtual marathon, but am leaning heavily toward paying for NYC (and holding on to the faintest glimmer of hope to get a guaranteed entry for 2023). Either way, might be my only chance to earn a NYC marathon medal.

So, we're a couple months behind on this, but in the past we have all stated our marathon weekend goals, someone records them and then a month or a few weeks before MW, they're re-posted to see how our goals have evolved. This can be done as two SAFD questions.

If anyone who isn't me is willing to record all of the goals, I'll do the question this Sunday.

eek....I was watching some Vlog and now that Marathon weekend is "next", they were speculating runDisney might not wanna be the first major race to restart racing - they don't want to be a leader in that area. I hope the vlog speculation doesn't come true!

eek....I was watching some Vlog and now that Marathon weekend is "next", they were speculating runDisney might not wanna be the first major race to restart racing - they don't want to be a leader in that area. I hope the vlog speculation doesn't come true!

I think at this point we'll all be mentally prepared and nothing will be surprising (even though it will be disappointing). But I was under the impression that they were selling bibs with the intention to have a lower-capacity race - hopefully they have been planning for how to have a race with coronavirus in mind since they started selling well after the pandemic began.

Also, apologies if this is morbid but 6 months from now the likelihood that so many more of us will have antibodies is of course higher - they could easily put a health mandate in place that states in order to be eligible to race you have to have a positive antibody test or negative covid test. That protects them and protects the runners.

Space Coast in November is still on, last I heard. Not quite the scale as runDisney, but still not small, and if marathon weekend registration was limited as much as people think, then it could be enough for rD to feel confident.
But I agree that runDisney likely won't want to be the first large race.

I signed up hoping that normalcy (or an approximation thereof) would return by January 2021 and I’d be able to enjoy my yearly Marathon Weekend trip. I also signed up fully prepared for the eventuality that the race and my vacation wouldn’t be able to happen. I still have hope but it would be a pretty big surprise to me if Marathon Weekend isn’t turned virtual at this point.

Space Coast in November is still on, last I heard. Not quite the scale as runDisney, but still not small, and if marathon weekend registration was limited as much as people think, then it could be enough for rD to feel confident.
But I agree that runDisney likely won't want to be the first large race.

The next big race that hasn't been cancelled is peachtree road race on thanksgiving day. They have lower signups this year then normal but not due to limits due to people not signing up (was originally july 4th) but even at that they are looking at around 45k IIRC. Good chance it may get canclled but on the books right now.

ATC also still has an october race on the calendar but that is a smaller one is normally about 4k or so.

I don't think a rundisney wants to be the first back and the first to figure out new procedures. I think they are going to want to wait on the NYRR, BAA, ATC type groups to go first, see what they do, and how things go.

So, we're a couple months behind on this, but in the past we have all stated our marathon weekend goals, someone records them and then a month or a few weeks before MW, they're re-posted to see how our goals have evolved. This can be done as two SAFD questions.

If anyone who isn't me is willing to record all of the goals, I'll do the question this Sunday.
If you don't already have a volunteer, I'm willing to help.

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

We're still working on the assumption that Marathon Weekend will go on in January. So, for this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your goals for Marathon Weekend? For first timers, these can be - but don't have to be - related to race performance, but can also relate to other aspects of Marathon Weekend. Some people set goals related to attending meetups, doing character stops or just their trip.

Also, I'm guessing everyone has the same goal of Marathon Weekend actually happening, so let's not go to the trouble of having "My goal is MW actually takes place" as a goal dozens of times.

@happ has offered to record these, but also record your goals somewhere yourself. Later this year, we'll revisit the goals to see how they've changed.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone!

So, for this week's Sundays are for Disney, what are your goals for Marathon Weekend?
  • Finish Dopey with no regrets for signing up for it in the first place. 🤣
  • Run for fun!
  • Stop for photos with favorites like my guy Pluto.
  • Cross the finish line with a delicious margarita in hand!
  • Finish the marathon in under 6 hours.
  • Attend DIS meetups including HHHH and DATW.

SAFD: My goal is to PR the Marathon. This may be my only Weekend where I run only the Marathon so it’s a great chance to see what I’m capable of under ideal circumstances. I’m sure characters and other Disney magic will still garner some of my attention as fun is always my number one goal. My PR is very modest (somewhere in the 5:15 range) so it will be pretty disappointing if I can’t muster the determination needed for training.

I have still not made any preparations for Marathon Weekend as I am not confident it will actually happen and I’m not confident in my understanding of their new reservation systems. So an additional goal is to be able to figure out a good plan for a vacation if and when I feel confident to start booking things.

SAFD: Well, I'm not registered, so no race goals. 😁 But I am really hoping this goes on. I might possibly consider a weekend trip, possibly volunteer.

I'm itchy to go away, and since the US currently occupies the "world pariah" spot re:travel, I may have to settle for WDW.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter