Marathon Weekend 2021

Good morning, runDisney all-stars!

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite way to treat yourself at Disney?

I don't buy a lot of souvenirs or do stuff like massages, but I definitely snack as much as I like at Disney. It’s nice to grab a pretzel or whatever whenever I feel like it.

Have a safe and healthy week, everyone.

For this week’s Sundays are for Disney, what is your favorite way to treat yourself at Disney?
I usually have at least one dining reservation that is a “treat”. Boma and Tusker House both come to mind, they are pricey but sooo good! If I’m treating myself with a meal, I usually schedule it for post race (we used to always have lunch at Rancho del Zocalo after Disneyland half marathons) or the last day of my trip.

It’s been a while, but we used to enjoy treatIn ourselves with a behind the scenes tour. The Walk in Walt’s Footsteps tour at Disneyland was magical and I loved the Wild Africa Trek and Backstage Magic tours at WDW!

SAFD: At the risk of sounding like a total misanthrope......My favorite way to treat myself at Disney is to go solo. I love being able to do what I want, when I want to (within the limits imposed by DIsney FP+) If I want dinner to be a chocolate shake from Beaches and Cream, then that's what it is. If I want to ride EE 5x in a row because I am a single rider, then yeah me!

I have had many 20+ trips with family, with one or the other or both kids, and those have been great. But I will never regret going solo.

SAFD: At the risk of sounding like a total misanthrope......My favorite way to treat myself at Disney is to go solo. I love being able to do what I want, when I want to (within the limits imposed by DIsney FP+) If I want dinner to be a chocolate shake from Beaches and Cream, then that's what it is. If I want to ride EE 5x in a row because I am a single rider, then yeah me!

I have had many 20+ trips with family, with one or the other or both kids, and those have been great. But I will never regret going solo.

I’m lucky to be single so every trip is solo unless I choose to go with friends or family. And even then we have set rules that there will be 1 or 2 meals we will definitely plan to do together but other than that we can stay together or split up. :)

SAFD:
I have to concur with @jmasgat about a solo trip. I have twice gone solo to run the races, all other trips have been with friends or family. I do love going with them but there is something really cool about cruising around at my own whim!

My biggest treat at Disney is buying a Christmas Ornament(s) for our Disney Tree and eating any and all the treats I want. I like the idea of tours, never done one. I might consider that for this next trip!

SAFD: Usually my treat is to find some new experience I haven't done before. This year I did the MK Fireworks dessert party, the Animal Kingdom After Hours and MK Villains After Hours and resort races at Coronado Springs and POFQ. Sometimes it's just getting a drink and soaking in the atmosphere.

SAFD:

This was a tough one for me because my Disney trips, in general, are the way I treat myself. I’ve not done everything so every trip has new adventures and old favorites. Depending on the trip I may be trying a new hotel, new restaurants, new attractions, new forms of transportation, or all of the above. There’s always something.

Planning the trips is also a treat. Not being able to plan and the overwhelming uncertainty of the current situation has taken so much of the joy out of this portion of the process. I still haven’t planned anything for MW 2021 because of it. I’ve already cancelled plans for a trip in September and can’t bring myself to get excited for January yet.

I’m definitely longing for normalcy. I know that certain aspects of a Disney trip will never be the same but I look forward to being able to plan for the parks, in whatever form that takes, whenever this virus is defeated.

SAFD:

I would say a Minnie Van. I used them twice and it was perfect for the situations.
  • First time was after a Christmas party. We were at MK all day and exhausted. I was able to snag one while walking out. Worth every cent not to wait in the bus line.
  • Second time was after the 5k during marathon weekend. Had a celebratory breakfast at O'hana. 6 of us met at Caribbean Beach and piled in the MV. Probably cheaper to Uber, but kept us in the "bubble" and good conversation with the driver.
Also agree with rteez about CG. Loved going there for brunch after the W&D half in 2018 to celebrate. Hoping to do it again for Marathon weekend. Plan at the moment is to cheer the marathon on main street, do a couple of rides, then head over for brunch.

SAFD:

This was a tough one for me because my Disney trips, in general, are the way I treat myself. I’ve not done everything so every trip has new adventures and old favorites. Depending on the trip I may be trying a new hotel, new restaurants, new attractions, new forms of transportation, or all of the above. There’s always something.

Planning the trips is also a treat. Not being able to plan and the overwhelming uncertainty of the current situation has taken so much of the joy out of this portion of the process. I still haven’t planned anything for MW 2021 because of it. I’ve already cancelled plans for a trip in September and can’t bring myself to get excited for January yet.

I’m definitely longing for normalcy. I know that certain aspects of a Disney trip will never be the same but I look forward to being able to plan for the parks, in whatever form that takes, whenever this virus is defeated.
I agree about missing planning the trip. DH and I spend lots of time planning all the aspects, particularly planning out which restaurants we want to experience that trip. We always try for a mix of old favorites and new experiences.

SAFD: I agree that a trip to Disney is the biggest treat! Many of my friends and family don't understand why I want to spend Disney dollars for a vacation, but of course, you guys get it! Planning and thinking about the trip throughout the year is so fun, and there is nothing like landing at MCO ready to get on the Magical Express!! :) Once there, I treat myself with restaurants I'm excited to try, and the few things I collect on each trip (a mug, an ornament, and a pin or two).

SAFD: It has been a treat to stay at almost all of the different resorts. We’ve stayed at some values, moderates, and deluxes (if we get a good passholder or military discount) over and over, especially when the trip is a longer one, but if we aren’t going to stay but 2-3 days, we’ll try a deluxe concierge level, a villa, or DVC resort. Riviera is our next reservation.

We’ve joked that we need to find family to share expenses and stay at a Saratoga Treehouse or Poly bungalow on the water, but our families, even the ones who WILL spend Disney amounts every 10 years or so, tend to be frugal. They are more like, “What??? Pay how much for a place to sleep? How about cramming 12 in a room at Holiday Inn. We can bring air mattresses!”:rotfl2:

I usually have at least one dining reservation that is a “treat”. Boma and Tusker House both come to mind, they are pricey but sooo good! If I’m treating myself with a meal, I usually schedule it for post race (we used to always have lunch at Rancho del Zocalo after Disneyland half marathons) or the last day of my trip.

Boma and Ohana are definitely my favorite spots to splurge a little (at least by my modest standards).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter