Marathon Weekend 2022

Is being super emotional during your taper normal? Because I just sobbed throughout the HBO Harry Potter reunion special and I’m not sure if that’s just who I am as a person or if I’m extra emotional due to taper.

I get super emotional when I receive my credit card statement from Marathon Weekend, but I don't think that's related to tapering.

I’m gonna be honest. If I had to listen to that for my entire 5K experience I’d be super annoyed. There are so many walkers for the 5K that will be keeping pace with you. Once you get inside Epcot it’s a completely awesome experience with the torches going the CM cheering you on, the music…..

Some won’t mind, but others (like me) not so much. I wouldn’t play it nonstop. Maybe every now and then?

I agree with Bree. Folks signed up (and paid a not insignificant amount) for these races because they (presumably) want to experience the sights and sounds of Disney, not experience the sounds of someone else's costume. I'm sure the volume would be reasonable and it's obviously outside, but I wouldn't feel right imposing that on someone else. Bree's example of the ambiance inside World Showcase is perfect. There is also a peaceful brilliance in the silence of the races, outside of the patter of dozens of shoes hitting the pavement.

I think if you have to ask, the answer is probably evident. Turn on the music in the staging area or afterward, I'm sure you'll get plenty of compliments.

Etiquette question re: costumes with music. I just posted over in the costume thread (with pics & a video link if you're curious) but wanted to toss this question out to a larger group. My 5K costume is the Electric Water Pageant, and imho the music is kind of key to the experience. I have about a 7-minute music loop that I plan to play over a small clip-on Bluetooth speaker via my phone. I'll be walking the entire 5K, usually start about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back in the pack, so there will be 45 minutes of this for lots of folks all around me.

Should I play the music at all? If yes, when should I start it? (I'm thinking maybe play it some around the waiting area but not in the corral. Start it again when I pass the start. Also, if I get into lines for characters or make potty stops, I'll pause it.)
I plan to turn it up loud enough so you could hear it within maybe 10-15 feet of me (though that's hard to gauge). Is that too loud? Not loud enough?

Other thoughts or considerations I'm not thinking of?
I would say short clips while warming up and in the corals and then wait until the start of the race to turn on the loop. The volume sounds about right. Sounds like a great costume; can’t wait to see it.

Etiquette question re: costumes with music. I just posted over in the costume thread (with pics & a video link if you're curious) but wanted to toss this question out to a larger group. My 5K costume is the Electric Water Pageant, and imho the music is kind of key to the experience. I have about a 7-minute music loop that I plan to play over a small clip-on Bluetooth speaker via my phone. I'll be walking the entire 5K, usually start about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way back in the pack, so there will be 45 minutes of this for lots of folks all around me.

Should I play the music at all? If yes, when should I start it? (I'm thinking maybe play it some around the waiting area but not in the corral. Start it again when I pass the start. Also, if I get into lines for characters or make potty stops, I'll pause it.)
I plan to turn it up loud enough so you could hear it within maybe 10-15 feet of me (though that's hard to gauge). Is that too loud? Not loud enough?

That’s one way to ensure no one gets anywhere close to you. I’d be furious if someone within 15’ of me played their music that loud during any or all of the race. I and probably many others don’t go to Disney races to hear music from the people around me. I want to experience and enjoy what Disney has to offer. Please reconsider this.

Just to balance all the "no's, I told her she should play her music in the costume thread, so I thought I'd reiterate here with some reasoning. That being said as someone who also gets annoyed when someone has music on a speaker in other races.
1) I may have misunderstood how loudly you would play it, but if it's very soft I think that mitigates. Maybe not even use the clip on speaker and just your phone speaker.
2) The thing that annoys me most when someone plays music at other races, is that it's music that I don't particularly like. You're proposing playing classic Disney music at a runDisney race, not death metal.
3) When I have been running near someone with a speaker, it's been for a very short period of time. Either they are moving past me or I am moving past them. I have no idea what walking toward the back of a 5k might be like. Sounds from the other comments like that might change a lot.
As to when *not* to play it, I'd say (maybe obviously) the corrals. Everyone is waiting to start and probably not in the mood. And they play the National Anthem etc. Also not in the parks when there are other things to experience.
When it's probably ok: I've never run the 5k, but if you are in a wider area where the crowd is moving, that seems ok. I know in some dead zones of longer races I'd be delighted to see/hear your costume!
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I miss a lot of the really fun, over the top things people used to do in these races. Many years ago now, there was a guy playing a souzaphone in the marathon. I don't remember anybody saying How annoying he played that thing the whole time. It was fun! Of course he didn't play it continuously I'm sure.

Playing music out loud is pretty high up there on the bad etiquette scale. Normally this is someone with their speakerphone on blasting music. For a costume with music I don't think it is as bad but I think it would be poor etiquette to have it on non-stop. Play it for a bit to show off, at some of the photo stops, or when someone asks about it but I would play it on a loop in the corrals or the race.

Is being super emotional during your taper normal? Because I just sobbed throughout the HBO Harry Potter reunion special and I’m not sure if that’s just who I am as a person or if I’m extra emotional due to taper.

Taper madness is a thing. Sometimes it is emotion, sometimes boredom with the lower mileage, sometime anxiety, but it is something. I generally just feel like I'm ready to go with the added anxiety of hoping my flight down is on time this year. If I'm trapped in FL after I can deal but I want to be down there and concentrating on my race.

Anyone else start packing?

I never pack before the night before but I do have my running list of things I don't want to forget as I think of them.

So, I know this is kind of last minute. But I have 3 comp passes for Universal available that have to be used before Jan 10th. If anyone coming down for marathon weekend wants a day at Universal, shoot me a message and I’ll see what I can do for ya! Good luck to everyone running. I was hoping to get over to cheer you all on, but I’ll unfortunately be working….

Good morning and Happy New Year, runDisney all-stars! We are less than three days from the start of Marathon Weekend 2022!

Welcome to the first Sundays are for Disney of the year and the final before Marathon Weekend! I hope you are all feeling pumped and ready to pound some pavement.

Several months ago, we listed our goals for Marathon Weekend and @DopeyBadger graciously recorded them for us. Now, it's time to revisit those goals - how have they changed, what has stayed the same, how feasible are they? I've attached the goals.

My goals then:

- First and foremost, just get there and have this happen. I’ll double mask, wear a face shield and gloves, shoot up pfizer every week, bathe in hand sanitizer and get a covid test up the nose before each race. I don’t care. I’ll do whatever it takes.
- Help my buddy experience his first marathon weekend and Dopey, as well as reunite with my runDisney buddies.
- Have as much fun, raise as much hell and get into as much trouble as I possibly can with the Goof Troop Roving Road Party (no name change).
- Photograph the new nighttime shows
- DATW until my pants fall off
- Eat at either Ohana or Boma I’m sure there are more that I’ll come up, but that’s a good start.

EDIT: One more - have a virtual beer with @FFigawi at some point during the festivities.

My goals now:

Marathon Weekend is going to happen and I'll be there. I'm vaccinated and boosted. Even still, I feel nervous about getting covid. Running with my buddy is a good.

I'm not sure who is able to join the Goof Troop this year, but I'm sure we'll have a blast.

Night shows will be photographed, DATW should be a riot and I have an ADR for Ohana.

My one addition is to get through the expo as quickly as possible. I know runDisney has addressed the missing registration via email, I just hope it's not a lengthy hassle to deal with in person. Once that's done, I'm going to be ready to rock.

Have a great week and safe travels, everyone. I'll see you all Saturday morning.

Attachments

• MW DIS Goals 2022.pdf
    306.1 KB · Views: 29
SAFD: Don’t remember what my goals were, not judging myself about that… I hope to make it through a short race with ZERO training, and to enjoy the time with my family, while finally forcing myself to learn the ins and outs of Genie+,
Also, I hope DS6’s teacher forgives us for skipping three days of school with little to no warning. There must be some Disney clause in the school rules about truancy… I’ll call it homeschooling about roller coaster physics…

SAFD: My goals are the same as I started with:

My main goal: Finish my first non-virtual marathon.
My stretch goal: Finish in under 6 hours.

Given the weather for Marathon day, I won't be giving much attention to my stretch goal. I just want to safely cross that finish line. And I'm reminding myself that the training cycle was the real accomplishment; the marathon itself is just a victory lap.

Got 6 miles in this morning. I'm starting to get a bit worried about the weather for the full, but I know things can still change 100 times between now and then.
It was 55 and 95% humidity here this morning, which is a good bit closer to how it may be there compared to what I've been running in for the last 2 months or so (mostly in the 30s). And that felt fine, but still a lot different.

I've been lurking for awhile and am so appreciative of all of the wonderful advice on this thread! I'm participating in the half and considering driving on race day. After the race I'm planning to meet my sister at DHS.

A couple of questions- is it easy enough to get to the car and get out of the parking lot to drive to DHS after the race? Would it be faster to just use Disney transportation to get to DHS and leave the car to get it picked up later in the day when we hop back to Epcot? Is that possible?

And finally- would I be able to take the walk from Epcot to DHS? I'm not opposed since I can keep moving and not have to sit and wait. That just about did me in after Goofy several years ago. I wasn't sure if the path would be closed off for races.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter